Mariners North Holiday Apartments

View from Castle HillView from Castle Hill

Horseshoe BayHorseshoe Bay

Moving to Townsville

by Jewelz14369

I'm a 25 college grad from the US planning on moving to Townsville, AU in July of 07. I have done alot of research, but I have never been to Townsville. Can anyone give some info on what area to live in, job market possibilities, pros and cons to living in Townsville?????? Is Townsville a good place to migrate to? or should I plan on moving somewhere else? I have an environmental background and are interested in any area near the Great Barrier Reef, where do I need to be?
thanks,
JD

RE: Moving to Townsville

by 1+1

Townsville is the biggest city in northern Australia. James Cook University there is heavily involved in the Great Barrier Reef. It specialises in marine biology and marine archaeology. There is a large aquarium in town and tourism is big. I don't know about accommodation, I stay with friends when visiting, but cost of living shouldn't be too much different than any place on the east coast. During the dry season there should be a lot of jobs in tourism available. I've known a number of people who've moved there and seem quite happy with it.

Re: Moving to Townsville

by tangomango

hello JD...I was born and bred in Townsville until my early 20's,then i moved to and are still living in Sydney...Townsville is like most any other place you intend moving to...You either like it or dislike it...My personal opinion is...My heart is in Townsville and the barrier reef is very close,however there is no surf in Townsville,unless you travel 70 miles out to the barrier reef to score reef surf...Anyway,the barrier reef stretches from Gladstone right up past Cairns...Maybe 800 miles...??..correct me if I'm wrong..and in between there are many large and small towns...There are always jobs available fruitpicking...other jobs?...not sure...!!??...There are many reasonably priced guest houses to stay at in townsville while you search for more regular accomodation...By all means pay Townsville a visit and if you like it....stay...!!..it is a friendly town and has a great nightlife in the tropics...July is our winter,However winter in Townsville means a light jumper at night and early morning...by midday,youre down to a t-shirt and shorts...Great weather....!!!...C'mon over...!!...You'll love it...!!

Re: Moving to Townsville

by Living0

Hi,

I have lived in Townsville for some months now, and wrote about it in my blog:

Good luck

Travel Tips for Townsville

Castle Hill

by ettiewyn

Yes, I must admit, I didn't make it up Castle Hill... It was too hot and I was too tired, but otherwise I'm sure I would have loved to do it. You can see Castle Hill from almost everywhere in town and it looks very prominent, being 290m high and made of red rock, that is why I still wanted to include it in my tips.
The way up starts at the corner of Hills Street and Victoria Street, near Stanton Tce.

Billabong Reserve

by MikeAtSea

Nestled in the hills of the Mutatunga Range and set among rainforest, wetlands and Eucalyptus trees, the Billabong Sanctuary
provides an ideal environment for wildlife. Strolling along the pathways, you may see kookaburras, dingos, Australian black swans, cassowary, snakes, cockatoos, birds of prey and other native animals.
Take the opportunity to hand feed the free roaming kangaroos and see Australia’s menacing crocodiles being fed.
A close up encounter with the cuddly koalas and unusual wombats will make for great souvenir photos.

Townsville, Queensland - The Best

by stevezero

After spending several hours in Brisbane we continued our journey with a two hour flight to Townsville in tropical North Queenslnd.
Townsville is Australia's largest tropical city with a population of some 76000 people
The town of Townsville is dominated by the massive rock of Castle Hill rising from the flat coastal plain.

"Townsville Prom"

The Townsville foreshore has been changed dramitically over the last few years after a devastating cyclone struck the town. The Strand now boasts a lovely promenade and jetty, with fine beaches nad facilities.
From Townsville you can also visit Magnetic Island, 4km offshore. Regular ferries make the trip in about 25 minutes. The island has a bus service which doubles as an island tour. We visited several beautiful beaches including Arthur's bay where you can also snorkel on the coral reef.

"Seagulls"

In Townsville we stayed for 3 nights at The Seagulls Resort a short stroll from the prom and about 2kms from the town centre. It has two pools and extensive tropical gardens,

Comments