Peppers Palm Bay

Rainbow LorikeetRainbow Lorikeet

Sailing on Maxi RagamuffinSailing on Maxi Ragamuffin

Corals - Knuckle ReefCorals - Knuckle Reef

Knuckle ReefKnuckle Reef

First time to Australia, want to snorkel the reef

by madcitygirl

Hello,
this is our first time to Australia (my husband and me). Our plans are to fly into Brisbane, stay the night, the next day go to the Australia Zoo, the next day do the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary & shopping. So, we have a week left to snorkel the reef.

Does anyone know the best way to do this? Should we just get a snorkel cruise, or maybe stay on one of the islands? The cost is not important, but I am feeling frustrated and my travel agent doesn't know much about Australia. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Melissa

by stevemt

You could well consider basing your self at Airlie Beach in the Whitsundays. Eithere there or on one of the islands at a resort.

There are many day trips yuo can do going to the reef to snorkel, or even multi day cruises.

Have a look here for some idea's

That will get you started at least and give some more idea's

Also have a look at the VYT pages for the area, there are heaps of tips there for you to peruse.

Have a great holiday

STEVE

by stevemt

Also you will have to fly from Brisbane to the reef area, either to Proserpine or Hamilton Island. Hamilton Island is probably easier for you. The other option would be to go to Cairns which is even further north and see the reef up there

by Mikebb

After you have finished your Brisbane stay I recommend you take a Jetstar flight to Hamilton Island in the Whitsundays. From here you can do everything you wish.

Also take a trip on the Fantasea ferry which has a day pass includes 3 stops, Airlie Beach,Daydream Island and Long Island with return to Hamilton Island.

Jetstar is a budget airline and you should pick up a one way ticket for approx $70 or less. We visited Hamilton Island a few years back, photos on my pages.

by stevemt

Also look at Virgin Blue for the flight, in my opinion a much better airline

by wise23girl

For the budget price you have to book well ahead or go at a less popular time of day.. We went to Airlie Beach a couple of years ago and our late booked flights cost heaps...Jet Star to Proserpine and the Virgin from Hamilton Island to Brisbane.

Comparisons on these sites might help. I book with airline though.

by aussirose

I went on the same trip as the others. It was part of our big downunder vt meet for 2009. You could as Mike said fly in and out of Hamilton Island or you could split the Whitsundays like we did, staying for a few nights at Airlie Beach and then staying for a few nights on Hamilton Island and flying back to Brissy from there. Compare prices on www.flightcentre.com.au. I've flown both Jetstar and Virgin Blue and both are good. Proserpine airport is about 20 minutes from Airlie Beach and is listed on flightcentre as the Whitsunday coast.

Things to do are the Knuckle outter reef adventure, Camira sailing adventure to the famous Whitehaven beach, 3 island trip. Hubby and I have also done the Raggamuffin yacht trip and a sea plane to Whitehaven Beach and the Yellow Sub.

Don't forget to use your Trip Planner thingy here on vt for saving tips. I use mine all the time.

Cheers,
Ann.

by al2401

Depends on what else you want to do - if you only want to snorkel and do water /beach things then the islands are great. If you want to see a bit of rainforest and other scenery as well then I would suggest Cairns

Travel Tips for Whitsunday Islands

Crank it up!

by Jyrki

One of the best things about sailing is the interactive experience! On board our vessel there was a 4 man rew but they can't do all the work so volunteers are needed to help hoist the sails. The main sail is raised manually and then it is winched in and crank up the remainder of the way by 4-6 people. Also when the boat is Jibing or Tacking crankers are needed to switch the sails position. It's pretty fun spinning your arms like a madman wih your partner and you get to feel like your in the middle of an America's Cup race! It's not easy though. I was left out of breath a few times!

Wedding ceremony.

by Steve-H

During the simple ceremony Amanda read a poem for us, LOVE`S PHILOSOPHY by Percy Bysshe Shelley.

The fountains mingle with the river,
And the rivers with the sea,
The winds of heaven mix forever
With a sweet emotion.

Nothing in the world is single,
All things by a law divine
In on another`s being mingle
Why not i with thine?

See the mountains kiss high heaven,
And the waves clasp one another,
No sister flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother,
And the sunlight clasps the earth,
And the moonbeams kiss the sea
And what are all these kissings worth
If thou kiss not me?

Whitsunday Islands Tip

by alisonr

This is the most interesting thing that struck me about this part of the world - the difference in height between the high and log tides! It is unreal!
When the tide went out, you could walk out for hundreds of meters and find lots of little sea creatures in the water pools!
You can see from the photos the difference!

Great Barrier Reef Information

by Jmill42

One of Australia's greatest atractions is the Great Barrier Reef that hugs the coastline of Queensland almost in its entirity. It is by far the biggest coral reef system in the world, is considered one of the world's natural wonders, and is the biggest structure made by living organisms on earth. The reef is one continuous piece further north and is located very near the shore. In the south, the reef is mainly in little pieces and lies much further off shore.

The entire system contains more than 3000 inidividual reefs which range in size from about 1acre to over 10,000 acres in area. All told the total area of the reef is an amazing 300,000 square kilometres.

Random facts from the net:

1500 species of fish
400 different types of coral
4,00 molluscs
500 species of seaweed
215 species of birds
16 species of sea snake
6 species of sea turtle

are contained in the reef's system.

Have a group pull!

by Jyrki

he lead sail is the harder of the two sails to hoist and thus requires 3 people to hoist up the mast. This may sounds like it makes it easy but if you don't cordinate your efforts you end up working against yourselves and having the skipper yell obscenities at you until you do it. Again the harder you make it for yourselves the faster it gets diificult and the faster you get tired! I had a couple goes at this one. The first was not so succesful as our techniue was terrible and we couldn't seem to coordinate our efforts into the '7' pattern. The second go it was myself and two hulking Irishmen, which made my task alot easier plus we were all veterans by this point and hoisted that bad boy up in record time!

Comments