Mercure Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide

Costs 22% less than similarly rated 3.5 star hotels

More about Mercure Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide

Appalling standards & a rip-off

by TripAdvisor Member nrjflit

I booked and paid for a suite for 3 nights, to treat the "birthday" girl. We were given room 202, situated behind the lift shaft and stair well, and didn't get more than an hours sleep on the first night - doors constantly banging, lift motor noise, street noise and drilling & hammering.
We complained (as you do) and were given a queen room, at the back of the hotel, right next to the service elevator!! Slightly less noise for the remaining 2 nights, and NO reimbursement for the suite that I had already paid for.
I can only hope that others are lucky enough to find an alternative place to stay in Adelaide. The Mercure Grosvenor is an appalling example of Adelaide hospitality.

Dark and grotty - don't go there

by TripAdvisor Member Namdets50

We had booked a standard room in this hotel that had been listed in a Qantas brochure with a rating of three and a half. What a ripoff! We arrived for two nights and were allocated room 322. On entering, the strong smell of bleach and the open window should have given a clue. We discovered that the mini bar fridge was housed in a wardbrobe style cupboard, and it had been leaking. The light in the room must have been no brighter than 60 watt, and with only a small window overlooking an alleyway, the room was constantly gloomy. The decor was really tired looking, with a carpet that had not been cleaned up to the edges. The bathroom was brighter and the bed linen was spotless, so no complaints there. We had been travelling for 6 weeks before arriving in Adelaide, staying mostly in motels and holiday parks in New Zealand, and I can honestly say that they would all have been rated with a 5 in comparison to this hotel.

A bit grotty but what can you expect for the price?

by TripAdvisor Member mastutio

The Grosvenor was a strange hotel. It appears to be two hotels knocked into one. On arrival, there is an impressive reception with lots of wood and brass and friendly, efficient staff.

We booked an 'economy' room - one of the cheapest rooms in Adelaide at the time. We were led through the hotel and out through a fire door into a different 'economy block' on a slightly different level. Our room was very small with bunk beds (single over double) and outdated decor. The shower room was a bit grotty and there were a few ants in the room. We glimpsed into some of the 'standard' rooms and they didn't appear much better than ours.

On a more positive note, the hotel is in the heart of the city and there are plenty of bars and restaurants on the doorstep. The location is perfect to explore Adelaide.

I wouldn't expect too much of a hotel for this price but I would expect it to be clean. Certainly worth considering if you're on a tight budget but otherwise choose elsewhere.

A depressing room

by TripAdvisor Member norfolk_travels

I agree with Mastutio's review. We booked an economy room for one night and were thoroughly depressed by its gloominess. Any more than one night and we'd have been seriously depressed. For the price, it was just about bearable - but only for the one night!

Good hotel, great location

by TripAdvisor Member Barbara09

My husband booked this hotel and just before we stayed I found the trip\advisor reviews on the website but because of circumstance we were unable to change the booking. I must admit I was prepared for the worst. However I was pleasantly surprised.

We had a standard double room booking and stayed for 4 nights. The front house staff were pleasant and always very helpful. Our room was renovated. Room was a bit on the small side compared to other hotels we have stayed in but I expect that is because it is an older but renovated hotel. Room was nice and clean and decor was nice/ modern. Great TV. Bathroom layout was a bit pokey but shower was very large. Only suggestion I would make to housekeeping would be to put proper quilt covers on the quilts, but stay with the white theme/runner as it looks good.

Location was really good. Across the road from train station, but no noise! Buses out the front door. Close walk to city centre and plenty of restaurants(all prices/ cuisines) to choose from on the doorstep.
Maybe with all their renovations this hotel has now turned the corner despite a lot of the previous reviews. Maybe we were just lucky with our room, I don't know?? But I would stay in this hotel again.

A good experience

by TripAdvisor Member brinky2

Having booked my blue holiday package through the airline, I was dismayed to read the terrible reviews on this site. However I was so relieved to find it clean, refurbished and light with big clear windows. I stayed in room 473, at the back of the hotel, which was a bit of a trek to find, but really clean fresh and nice.
Staff were personable and helpful. Breakfast great with the option of express breakfast, which was very helpful as we had very little time before boarding the shuttle bus. I would highly reccomend this Motel, as a great location and very affordable, for the budget concious.

Small room, Poor aircon

by TripAdvisor Member Travelling_Family99

Work booked a standard room for me for 4 nights. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews on this site, but the room was not too bad, it was clean and comfortable, though very small. The bathroom was claustrophobicaly small. The room appeared to have had the furnishings renovated...new bed, fittings, etc, but the room itself still needed to be painted. The air conditioning was the major problem for me. Adelaide had a couple of days of high temperatures when I was there (35 degrees C plus) and on a couple of those days the aircon seemed to fail. The fan was almost hardly blowing even on full and the air was barely cooled. As the room windows did not open, I had one very sleepless night in particular of being stuck in a stuffy hot box with no way of getting any fresh air to cool down. The staff were friendly and helpful, though would look for somewhere else next time I'm in Adelaide.

There is room...for improvement

by TripAdvisor Member mallatrone

I stayed in an economy room.
I would only like to add that:
-main things in the rooms were generally clean (towels, sheets), but the room was still a bit dirty (insects)
-they don't really clean the bathroom every day
-windows cannot be open (only the one in the bathroom, but not so easily)
- the air conditioning is quite noisy to me, and rooms facing the inner courtyard suffer from that noise.
Finally, there is free wifi connection, as you can catch the adelaide city free wifi service (the one offered by the hotel is way too expensive...)

Tiny bed!

by TripAdvisor Member mjref

I was pleased to see that the hotel had been recently renovated. We stayed in room 228, a standard room apparently, and while it was small it was adequate. What wasn't adequate though, was the size of the bed. It was not a double; more likely a semi-double. My wife and I are both slim but we had a bad night's sleep. The room got quite hot but we couldn't leave the a/c on as it made a racket. I wrote all these things down on the comment card and handed it in upon check-out but have not heard back.
If this was a standard room, I would hate to see the economy room.

We got a spring special on the hotel's website but I would not pay their normal internet rate if we went back. It's fine for one person but the size of the bed does not allow for a decent night's sleep.

Comments