6-10 Adelphi Terrace, Glenelg, South Australia, 5045, Australia
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

More about Glenelg

Adelaide DowntownAdelaide Downtown

SUNSET AT GLENELG BEACH AND HOLDFAST BAYSUNSET AT GLENELG BEACH AND HOLDFAST BAY

BUILDINGS AT GLENELG BEACH..BUILDINGS AT GLENELG BEACH..

COLLEY RESERVE BY THE PIER..GLENELGCOLLEY RESERVE BY THE PIER..GLENELG

Travel Tips for Glenelg

GLENELG...ADELAIDE ..SOUTH AUSTRALIA..

by DennyP

"GLENELG BEACH ..ADELAIDE'S FAVOURITE BEACH"

When in Adelaide a trip to Glenelg is really worthwhile..I took the tram from the city centre to Glenelg terminus at Mosely Square....a trip of about twenty minutes and walked along the seafront really admiring some really beautiful old and new Houses..what a location...had a cup of coffee at a local cafe and then strolled along the beach and out on the pier..I was lucky although it was winter the day was cool but sunny..in late September is the local "city to Surf" running marathon race from Adelaide city centre finishing in Glenelg..

"THE TRAM TO GLENELG BEACH..ADELAIDE'S FAVOURITE"

The tram ride is a short ride of about 15 to 20 minutes from the City centre..There are many shops in its precinct and many restaurants and cafes..certainly a nice area to just walk and look..

"GLENELG'S HISTORIC TOWN HALL"

This historic Town Hall is worth a visit to see the history of this town and its early origins of settlement...see my tip on Glenelg..

Glenelg - Adelaide's Historical Port

by ATXtraveler

"Our first experience with South Australia"

Sarah was nice enough to plan out a wonderful 30th birthday weekend for us in South Australia. Upon landing from the airport, it was clear we were best served by getting something to eat as soon as possible. After surveying the map and looking at our tips from Virtual Tourist, Glenelg looked like an ideal spot.

The city is located about 6 kms from Adelaide Airport, and about 15 km southwest of the Adelaide CBD.

There are plenty of nice restaurants located here, as well as a Great White Shark Exhibition, a little seashore, and a nice boardwalk for a stroll.

Adelaide's Beachside Town

by lovinoz

"GLENELG"

Glenelg is a great place to shop, swim and eat! It's only a 20 minute drive southwest of Adelaide (CLICK HERE to visit my Adelaide VT page).

"JETTY ROAD"

Jetty Road is only about 10 blocks long and has dozens of shops and restaurants, with the Stamford Grand Hotel at the end, next to the jetty. Also next to the jetty is the Rodney Fox Shark Experience Museum and a few cafes. Up towards the start of Jetty Road is Glenelg Cinema which shows a few movies a day and has some unique old-fashioned decor. A few doors down is my favorite restaurant in Glenelg, Spices. See my tip for more info.

"GLENELG TRAM"

The Adelaide - Glenelg Tram runs down Jetty Road, adding extra charm to the place. For the tram schedule, CLICK HERE. The trip takes about 25 minutes from downtown Adelaide.

Birth place of South Australia

by Rusket

"An Adelaide suburb"

Glenelg is the town where the State of South Australia was proclaimed on 28 december 1836. Even though it is considered a suburb of Adelaide and is a part of the City of Holdfast Bay, it is a town of it's own. It is situated beautifully by Holdfast Bay, Gulf St Vincent, with nice beaches. What a pity it was cold when we were there! Temperature was appr. 10 C less than it should have been by that time of the year, and too cold to enjoy the lovely beaches for other purposes than nice walks. Well, we did see some brave people swimming, but i doubt they enjoyed it much!

Before the europeans arrived, the area was populated by the Kaurna people. Glenelg was originally a fishing village, harbour for tall ships and a summer retreat for people from Adelaide. Nowadays it is a summer retreat for people from all over the world :-)

We just HAD to stay in Glenelg, rather than in Adelaide. The decision was made by our moose Elge: Elg means moose, and he thought the town was named after him ;-)

Here you can find more info about Glenelg and the rest of the City of Holdfast Bay

Reliving my childhood memories

by rosie235

"Going home..."

Some of you would have known that January we were meant to be sunning it up in Coogee Beach in Sydney. My son however threw a spanner in the works at the last minute and decided that he would rather go to Adelaide to spend time with his cousins, grandparents and aunts and uncles. So, we changed our plans and went there instead. I hadly had any grounds to argue with him. My immediate family now has grown to 27 of us and when we all get together it is quite a rabble. It is hard to get us all together at the same time but We managed most of us in this pic. We decided to spend part of the time with the family and the other part at Glenelg. Growing up we spent nearly every weekend in summer at Glenelg Beach. We'd pack the car and leave home at 7am to make sure we got the best spot on the lawns so we could pitch our sun shades and we'd spend all day till very late at night there. Most weekends all the close family friends would join us for a huge picnic at the beach. We used to call our part , The wog lawns.. If you told friends where to meet you, they all knew the spot if you referred to it as that. I had so many great memories of summers past. I wanted to show my son all the great spots and tell him all the things that we did as kids. One thing that I wasn't prepared for was the huge change in Glenelg. Our little wog paradise was reduced to less than half the area, The fountain that we frolliced under and in was now silent and empty and sitting there looking rather lost, out of place and forlorne. I was looking forward to sharing Magic Mountain with my son but that has been torn down to make way for another Multi story apartment block on the foreshore.

In the years that I had been missing from Glenelg something wonderful had been happening . I was pretty blown away by the changes. Glenelg has become a real cosmopolitan , happening place. The shore is now lined with beach front apartments, The nightlife was bustling. There are so many restaurants and shops and little cafe's to visit along Jetty Road. For those that like to hit the dance floor afterdark there are a few night clubs there too. I really was blown away. They have also built a marina there.

The surf was good enough to pull out the boogie board and have some fun. I'm not too sure who had the most fun, my little man or myself. Somehow I think it was me. The water was mostly clean and the sand was combed and cleared each morning so rubbish and seaweed was not a problem. We fished off the pier a couple of nights without much luck. Brandon ( my son) caught his very first fish off the pier on our first night. My brother was trying to teach him how to fish and bought himhis first fishing rod. Those around us were fishing for crabs and squid and seemed to have better luck than us. There is so much to do in and around Glenelg. You would never get bored.

Comments