Kangaroo Island Acacia Apartments

3-5 Rawson Street, Kingscote, Kangaroo Island, 5223, Australia

More about Kangaroo Island

RemarkablesRemarkables

cafecafe

No this isn't your mumNo this isn't your mum

This seal is so tiredThis seal is so tired

Kangaroo Island Day Trips?

by Susumarie

Is there any practicality to day trips to Kangaroo Island, or is it too far, too much? How long does it take to get their/back by ferry?
Elizabeth

by unaS

I suggest one of the many 2day/1night trips. We went with Wayward tours. It was great! Enjoy.

by Kakapo2

Have you seen this great website about the island:

There you find everything you want to know.

The ferry trip takes only 45 minutes but the island is big - 1600 km of roads.

by Kathrin_E

We did a 1 day tour from Adelaide (due to lack of time due to the timetable of the Indian Pacific) just to get an idea and an impression. We picked going by bus and ferry to the island and back by plane. The tour turned out to be the perfect solution to our problem. I know K.I. deserves 2 or 3 days but we had no choice, better one day than nothing.

We booked the tour with Gray Lines but it turned out to be a Sealink tour (the company that also operates the ferry from Jervis Bay).
ATTENTION: There are two different Sealink tours. One includes a honey farm, an eucalyptus oil press and dunno what else - places where you are expected to shop and waste a lot of your precious time. Ours, however, was a different and much better one that was sightseeing only and no shopping.

We were taken by bus to the ferry, crossed over to Penneshaw where were picked up by another bus. The guide was a Kangaroo Island local who had a lot of stories to tell. We got to see Seal Bay, the Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and Cape di Couedic, had lunch at a campground in Flinders Chase National Park with a Koala Walk, lots of roos and wallabies, stopped at the Vitistors' Centre of Flinders Chase N.P. On the way back the bus dropped us off at Kingscote Airport, we flew back to Adelaide and even got picked up and taken back to our hotel. Organization was as smooth as can be.

I'd say it was worth it. We saw the most important spots without feeling too rushed. Without an organized tour, however, I would not suggest trying to 'do' the island in one single day.

by Anne12

Great reply from Kathrin...

by Kathrin_E

Oooh thanks Anne... *blushes*

I'd have liked to stay longer on Kangaroo Island. We took our time on the Great Road, though, so we had to make choices and sacrifices and said, one day is better than nothing. All the rest of our trip was independent travel, this one tour enabled us to at least see a bit of K.I. without being stressed.

by adelaidean

and dont forget you have a 90 minute trip from adelaide just to get to Cape Jervois...If one day is all you have, I would still do it, but if you can stay o/n then that is even better! Its a great place. So much wildlife there, and so beautiful.

Travel Tips for Kangaroo Island

Really explore the island...

by marisa81

Kangaroo Island is fantastic to explore,but it is a bigger island than many people imagine. I think the best way to see the island is with a local who knows their way around, or a tour group that takes a little longer to really see the cool and out of the way things on the island. (Campwild Adventures does an excellent combination of the two)

Warm clothing is a must, even in summer!

by Quero

If you are bush camping, you don't want a suitcase at all. Put everything you need in a pack or a small duffle. 1) You might like a rain slicker. It rained a lot while I was there.

2) Not many changes of clothes, except, of course, clean undies and socks. You'll need one/two pair of long pants and one/two pair of shorts depending on the length of your stay.

3) Hiking boots.

4) Most importantly, bring warm clothing to layer. In the photo--click to see the full-body view--I am wearing about four layers of stuff over my upper body (and I slept wearing most of it, too). Even in summer K.I. can be quite chilly and very windy. • Waterless hand washing gel
• Extra mini-packs of facial tissue (to use at the outdoor commode)
• After-bite stick (or just plain amonia) for insect bites Lots of memory chips and batteries. You may not have outlets to recharge dead batteries. If you have your own sleeping bag, by all means bring it. I rented mine, but the zip was broken (maybe that's why I was so cold at night), and the stuffing was lumpy. Chocolate, raisins, sunflower seeds or other non-crushable munchies.

Buy beer as soon as you get to the island and carry it all around in the truck with you. You never know when thirst will strike!

Incredible beaches, caves and views

by marisa81

Since Kangaroo Island is kind of off the beaten path, its not hard to find unique experiences on this island. We did a hike though Ravine des Casoars (on the west side of the island) don't be detoured by the sign at the beginning that states it is a 5 hour hike, we did it in 2 hours (not walking too quickly either) We walked though the ravine, out to sand plains that gave way to the ocean in a beautiful bay. We even found a cool cave along the way and were able to climb up inside of it and have a snack in there.

Sea Lions - A must to see

by Longnosedbandicoot

You will need to pay for a tour with National Parks to have them take you right up to the Sea Lions as they rest in the sand dunes and play on the sand (well the cubs do anyway). They are such a treat to see. There are only a few colonies left and this is a visit of a lifetime.
Unfortunately sea lions populations are declining due to sea pollution killing them i.e. plastic bags and plastic ties choking them.

Remarkable Rocks

by Markyreid

Remarkable Rocks are a group of remarkable rocks. No surprises there. They are perched above the sea and have formed over millions of years of erosion from the coastal winds. There is a board walk leading to the rocks and you could spend 20 minutes climbing on them.
WARNING - people do die from falling of the rocks on the water slide. It appears safe, but slime develops on the rocks, and coupled with the strong winds, can be very dangerous. Keep an eye on the kids as the rocks are not roped off.

Comments