Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island

American River, Kangaroo Island, Australia
Wanderers Rest of Kangaroo Island
Booking.com Official Site AMOMA.com

More about Kangaroo Island

Warning on what not to bring. There's more!!Warning on what not to bring. There's more!!

Marron salad with tartre sauceMarron salad with tartre sauce

The male sea lion bull tells the cub to move onThe male sea lion bull tells the cub to move on

Admirals ArchAdmirals Arch

Where to stay & what to do for a family with small children

by sspix

We plan on visiting KI during mid Aug 2007. From what I am reading about KI, the best way to get there from Adelaide is to take the SEALINK Tourbus to Cape Jarvis and take the FERRY and then rent a car in Penneshaw. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong. This trip will be my husband and I and our two small daughters (4 and 5 years old). Of course, we are wanting to see all the parks we can, however, my kids just look forward to swimming in a pool. Do you suggest a hotel w/an indoor pool and if so, which one? Also, we have about 10 days for our trip, how many days would you recommend for KI and would you recommend spending any time in Adelaide. We are Americans living in Japan. My husband and I have been to Cairns and that area, but that is the only place in Australia. Any recommendations on how to plan this trip would be well received. I spend literally hours and hours trying to plan a trip before we go, but with two small children, it adds a lot more questions to what to do and where to go. If it were just me, I'm content just being lazy! Thanks in advance for any input.

Re: Where to stay & what to do for a family with small children

by adelaidean

I would recommend spending some time in Adelaide. Hire another car and get out and see Barossa Valley, Clare Valley, victor Harbour, The beautiful hills and explore the city itself... Mid August is going to be rather chilly for swimming unless you can find a heated pool..Kangaroo Island is a fascinating place for a few days...I love it there, and would always recommend it...but after 3 days I personally would have had enough...If you want to know any more, email me or check out my pages about my home state....

Re: Where to stay & what to do for a family with small children

by nev-harris

So Far all your information is correct about how to get there etc.
There is also an Island Pass which gives you dicounts and free entry into seal bay etc. There are also camping holidays available online which are very cheap. Kangaroo Island has great beaches and wildlife you will have a ball.
Nev

Travel Tips for Kangaroo Island

Frenchman's Rock

by Kate-Me

Frenchman's Rock was one of my favorite spots on Kangaroo Island, because even at age 17, I was well on my way to being a fan of France, and this point commemmorates the meeting at Kangaroo Island between explorers Baudin and englishman Flinders on their respective missions of exploration, in 1801.
It was a cordial encounter between the two on board one of the vessells, even though officially Britain and France were still at war.

Little Sahara

by Markyreid

The Little Sahara is an inland Sanddune formed centuries ago. It is the largest sanddune on the island and can be visible from some kilometers away. There are no facilities near the dune so make sure you pack water and lunch, along with your sun glasses. You can climb and run on the sand dunes, but have respect for the environment and stay of the vegetation as this is what holds the dune together. If you can get access to a hardbottomed body board then take that as they make good sand sleds.
a great view from the top of the dune, but you need to be fit to reach it.

Cave

by kyoub

There is a very nice picnic area here among the tall gum trees and some interesting short trails. We saw many beautiful birds in Kelly Caves Conservation Park.
There are also some nice caves here that you can see by guided tour.

Penguin Pageantry

by kelyeah

Arguably the best Penguin experience in South Australia, the Kangaroo Island Penguin 'Underwater' interpretive centre is the base for nocturnal tours. Learn incredible Penguin facts with a guided tour or select the self-viewing option for a Penguin experience at your own leisure. Either way our eco-viewing platforms boast amazing close encounters with wild Little Penguins.

See these amazing little birds all year round - exceptional viewing from autumn to spring.
Winter open 6pm, tours 7.30pm and 8.30pm. Summer open 8pm, tours 8.30pm and 9.30pm

Fully wheelchair accessible.

Cape Willoughby Lighthouse

by Diceman_

One of the first ports of call for people staying at Penneshaw, worth the drive along the potholed dirt road. Guided tours starts around every 45 minutes, which demonstrate the weather monitoring activities, the prism array housed at ground level inside a shed, and the lighthouse itself with an explanation of the lighthouse itself and it's history. Access to the balcony at the top is permitted but not to the very top level where the light is situated.
It is a scenic area with good views across the Backstairs Passage and has a fairly new cafe a stone's throw away where local wines can be bought.

Comments