40 Brooker Highway, (formerly Best Western), Hobart, Tasmania, 7000, Australia
Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Fountainside Hotel

Reasonably proced, very good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member TravellerAbroad82

We stayed at the fountainside for one night only at the beginning of our travels.
The hotel looks like a typical hotel on a busy road.
The reception area is looking a littled dated but I think work is underway to update it. Check in staff were very friendly and helpful.
The lift was very cranky and I did wonder if it was ever going to get to our room!We'd booked just a standard double room and it was lovely - very spacious, big bed, modern bathroom and all very clean. I was pleasantly surprised. Our room looked out over the big roundabout, so I was worried about noise, but we couldn;t hear anything.
The hotel was very reasonably priced and the nibbles and drinks in the minibar were so cheap. The hotel sell them at shop prices.
Breakfast was also good. It was a hot buffet. When we were there we were the only ones there, so the staff made us fresh eggs to order which was nice.
Hotel has free car parking and is very central to all the shops, restaurants, etc.
Would definitely stay again and recommend others.

Excellent Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Atena

The Fountainside hotel is very centrally located less than 5 minutes walk from the sea and about 10min from Salamanca.The reception staff was very nice and helpful as was every member of the staff that I encountered. But then again people all over Australia are so pleasant...The room was clean and spacious with a king size bed and the bathroom was excellent too. My room was overlooking a very busy roundabout but I couldn't hear anything which was amazing. And how can I not mention the fantastic mini-bar prices! I've stayed in countless hotels and I've also worked in a few and this was the first time that I used a mini bar with prices equal if not lower than the supermarket's!
Loved this hotel and I'll definetelly stay there again if I'm lucky enough to visit Tasmania again!

All roads lead to the Fountainside, great location

by TripAdvisor Member Castleofspirits

We visited Tasmania for some filming and one of our team members stayed here, while we chose to stay elsewhere due to the fact we wanted higher standard accommodation - however I would like to comment on the fact that our colleague staying here stated that the rooms were newly refurbished and fantastic. Also, no matter where we went in Hobart we seemed to always end up back at this hotel which led us to joke about how we couldn't avoid it, no matter where we went....It is an extremely cheap and convenient hotel but I would also like to say that if you are slightly disabled, there is a step up to the front desk, reception area...if you have lots of heavy luggage etc you are going to have to lug it all over this step. I also would like to point out that this hotel is right near everything you need in Hobart - its also directly across the road from the Hogs Breath Cafe and some other great pubs and restaurants. It has car parking which is very easily accessible and also you can drive right up to the front reception area to unload everything.

If you want a great deal on a room try wotif as we got a really cheap room rate and I would highly recommend this place for convenience alone.

Totally lived up to expectations

by TripAdvisor Member porge

Before booking the Fountainside I did a lot of research on accommodation in Hobart and finally decided to book it. I'm very glad I did because it was perfect for our two nights there. The hotel doesn't look anything special on the outside but the inside has been stylishly renovated. Our room was on the top floor (sixth), spotlessly clean, spacious and pleasant. The king bed was perfect. The bathroom was spacious with plenty of bench space for toiletries etc. (I'm very particular about bench space in bathrooms) The view from our window was lovely. The hotel is located on a busy roundabout but because of double glazing traffic noise is not a problem at all. The mini bar prices were amazingly low. The restaurant meals quite adequate and very reasonably priced, i.e. $AU10.80 for breakfast and $AU20 for soup, salad and main course dinner. The staff were friendly and helpful and there was easy parking outside the entrance. We walked everywhere from the hotel, including the Botanic Gardens, Salamanca Place, Battery Point, the Docks area etc. We booked well in advance and paid a reasonable tariff of $AU139 but cheaper rates are available on the hotel's website if booked closer to the date if you're willing to risk missing out. Next time we visit Hobart, we'll be staying at the Fountainside.

Strongly recommended

by TripAdvisor Member chuyim

Stayed here for 2 nights in October, booked through its own website with weekend special price. The hotel is exactly as described on its website: newly renovated, stylish, and close to everything.

The staff is friendly and provides 24 hour service at the front desk. Parking is free and on-site, 5 mintues' walk to CBD, Constitution Dock, restaurants and major waterfront attractions. Easy to get on highway and main roads. Room is clean and with great views. Mini bar prices are lowest I've ever seen in hotels, comparable to that of grocery stores'. They also have an on-site coin-op washer/dryer for $2 per wash and $2 per dry, and $1.00 for laundry powder.

Breakfast was not included in our rate, it costs AU$10.80 is you are guests. Pretty standard hot and cold selections. Dinner is also very reasonable with good selection of wine.

it's about 16km (10 mile) from the airport

Hobart is beautiful, sophisticate and clean; fountainside hotel is a great place to stay.

A few things you might want to know:
1) you need to go up 1 step to enter your room, so watch your step as you go in and out

2) The hotel is on a roundabout (rotary), and you drive on the left side, so if you are coming from the airport, it's a bit tricky to enter the hotel, you will have to pass it and make a U-turn to come back later. But not a big deal at all

by TripAdvisor Member TCB72

It was my pleasure to stay at the Fountainside for four days recently. The guest rooms have recently been renovated, and are very nice. It is centrally located in Hobart and readily accessible from Brooker or Tasman Highways. My parents made more use of the inhouse dining than I did, and found it more than satisfactory. Minibar prices were equivalent to or cheaper than you would pay in a convenience store, so no rip-off there. The only drawback was the single aging elevator, which could keep you waiting at times of high demand. Would definitely stay there again.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member MelbourneSteve

Refurbished hotel in a fantastic location overlooking roundabout on Brooker Hway in Hobart within walking distance to Salamanca, Waterfront, Botanical Gardens and North Hobart. We stayed in room 27 for 4 nights and was delighted with all aspects of our stay. Very clean and spacious room, comfortable beds and even though hotel overlooks a busy roundabout it is very quiet. Like everyone else has said mini bar prices are astounding - much cheaper than you would get anywhere - $1 for a can of Coke is unheard of! Only slight drawback was the one very old lift however if you avoided peak periods it wasn't a problem. Would definitely recommend and would stay again.

Average stay

by TripAdvisor Member alibabachoong

We decided to give Fountainside Hotel a go after reading some great reviews from some other travellers on this website. We stayed there for 2 nights in Feb 08. The hotel was relatively easy to get to from the airport.
When we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist wasn't very receptive- no smile- though she did check us in efficiently and was quite happy to guide us on our map of the tourist spots we wanted to go to. The room was good average-sized and very clean. The shower was great. Unfortunately, our room was on the first floor, so we could hear some passing traffic as the hotel was situated right next to a main road/roundabout.
The mini-bar was well stocked and cheap. We did not use the restaurant but there was heavy promotion in the room and lift about the very reasonably priced breakfast and dinner.
Overall, it was an average experience or maybe we were just expecting something more special from the nice reviews of other fellow travellers.

Best bed in Australia

by TripAdvisor Member JoneHouston

We were only in Hobart two nights, but found the Fountainside to be a great base for exploring this wonderful city.

Conveniently located a short walk from th harbour and other Hobart sights.

The room was clean and very comfortable. We agreed the bed was the most comfortable one we slept in during 33 days in Australia.

Staff helpful.

Appreciated the free parking and laundry facilities.

Great Value

by TripAdvisor Member janefromcairns

Great rather daggy hotel , very close to everything, nice re furbished rooms, very comfy king bed. quiet and friendly staff.
cheap mini bar !! okay but very cheap dinner and breakfast.
very good value.

Boardwalk around the parkBoardwalk around the park

Near the summitNear the summit

Salamanca in SummerSalamanca in Summer