Hobart Hotels

Our Members Say

• MalH profile photo MalH
  • Reviews: 8

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hobart Airport Quality Hotel: Airport hotel?

A very comfortable hotel, about 1km from the terminal. They offer a free shuttle service, but beware if on a late flight. Ours was delayed past 10pm when the shuttle stops and we had to make our own arrangements. No taxis would take us such a short way and fortunately one of the city centre shuttle drivers was willing to help, otherwise we would have faced a long walk.
You would think that an hotel that advertises itself as 'airport' would have a contingency plan for such situations rather than abandon customers miles from civilisation - is their reputation really worth less than the cost of an hour's overtime?

To be fair, they did compensate us with a free upgrade when we returned for our early morning outward flight.

• Written March 6, 2010

• balhannah profile photo balhannah
  • Reviews: 10778

Hobart Treasure Island Caravan Park: Nice location

We stayed here in our Caravan. The location was great, only 10minutes from the city centre, and located on a piece of land jutting out into the River Derwent. Right on the rivers edge, and good views of Mount Wellington. A peaceful spot, with good amenities and a good campers kitchen. Cabins are available here also. Lots of friendly ducks. No nonsense here, the Manager keeps a check on the noise, so this makes for a great stay. Close to everything. Would stay here again.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking, Family Travel, Budget Travel
  • Written September 25, 2008

The park

• yann.ng profile photo yann.ng
  • Reviews: 92

Elwick Cabin & Tourist Park: Self-contained cabin for a budget travellers

We were travelling in a group of 8. Therefore we booked a 3 bedrooms cottage for all of us. There were 2 double bed room and 1 room with 2 bunker beds.

The group is very happy with the location and the overall environment of the accomodation. The cottage has a lounge area and kitchen allow all of us to mingle around and watch some TV programme and prepare our own breakfast in the morning. There is also a small lawn area outside each cottage. We were able to park our rented Toyota Tarago outside our cottage.

Elwick Cabin & Tourist Park is located within a neighbourhood and it was very interesting to drive pass houses with their lawn decorated beautifully with Christmas decor and lightings.

There's a security gate the entrance of the park.

If I remember correctly, we paid around AUD 300 per night for the whole cottage and it was one of the best deal I could find for Hobart.

Within a neighbourhood, a short drive away from Hobart City.

• Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Road Trip
  • Written May 9, 2008

• satoris profile photo satoris
  • Reviews: 1

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Allports Hostel: Don't go here unless it's warm out.

I would not reccomend it. Jan was abrupt and not very helpful unless you wanted to book an expensive tour. The large house could have been nice, but had been neglected for a long time. Very quiet after 10, all the nearby shops were closed by 8, and the common room and kitchen were locked off at night too. Internet was expensive, as were the washing and drying facilities. The sheets were old, and looked mismatched like they were purchaced from a charity shop. Most of the furnishings looked like that too. Rough area, because it's so close to seedy pubs on the weekend. No security for car park area, but at least it's off street.

the cat georgious (friendly and cute).
the veggie garden (untended but had potential)
off street parking

• Related to: Study Abroad, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 31, 2007

• emrys profile photo emrys
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Woodbridge on the Derwent: Amazing heritage boutique hotel.

This was an amazing, 1825 Gorgian mansion situated right on the banks of the Derwent River, about 25 minutes from the CBD of Hobart (about 40 minutes from Hobart International airport). I found this hotel through Small Luxury Hotels of the world and was not dissappointed.
The food and drink was sorced primarily from local producers (and was of exceptional quality) and the view of the river from our room was superb. The spa suite I stayed in had everything I could have asked for.
The service was fantastic but I would have prefered to have more flexibilty with opening times of the bar/food areas. They indicated that this would be changing with the addition of a large, enclosed pavillion bar and restaurant due for completion in Sept 2007.

I couldnt believe it, I was able to go fly fishing at the front of the hotel (and my wife could watch me from her room). The artwork waqs amazing and the history of the the place more akin to something you would expect in Europe. Every room (including the common areas) seemed to have a fireplace and the steeped gardens were a delight.

• Related to: Luxury Travel, Historical Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons
  • Written May 8, 2007

• bijo69 profile photo bijo69
  • Reviews: 943

Allport's: Nice hostel

This friendly hostel is housed in a nice historic mansion and run by very helpful people.
Rooms are quite large, so even if everyone has scattered their luggage all over the place you still can move.
There are 2 kitchens and 2 lounges, both well equipped and clean. You've got internet access from here which is not really cheap though.
The hostel is located close to restaurants and bars.
A dorm bed was 22 AU$ in Nov. 05.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written January 31, 2006
Tip Photo

• xuessium profile photo xuessium
  • Reviews: 1418

GREAT HOBART HOSTELS REVIEW SITE

The BUG Australia guide is both a great guidebook & forum to tap for reviews from folks who had actually stayed at the hostels you are looking for.

Very comprehensive and useful!

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Budget Travel, Study Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written July 10, 2005

BUG

• MidwestGuy profile photo MidwestGuy
  • Reviews: 5

Orana House: Outstanding B & B minutes from Hobart

I happened to find this outstanding B&B located in Lindisfarne, just across the bridge from Hobart (12 minutes). Parking is available should you have a car and there is a bus route nearby. The owners are wonderful people - they make you feel right at home. The small town charm of Hobart cannot be experienced staying in one of the traditional city hotels. The residential setting is quiet and peaceful, with great areas to walk along Lindisfarne Bay.

• Written January 31, 2005

• swings profile photo swings
  • Reviews: 58

Crow's Nest Bed and Breakfast: Nice 4-Star Bed and Breakfast

We booked this through Needitnow.com and were told to phone ahead for the keybox code, which we did on the way from the airport. The man at the Thrifty car rental desk had marked on the map just how to find the place, and it wasn't too hard to get there (we also had the luxury of having a friend help out, too). We also found an envelope with our name on it taped to the door, with instructions on how to get in.... and several minutes later the owner also showed up to greet us.

The room was fairly spacious (we had suite 2 in the picture at their website) and quite clean. In other words, it passed the "barefoot test"! The bed was very comfortable and included an electric blanket, along with a nice fluffy doona and six pillows. There was a chest of drawers, as well as two bedside tables. The bathroom was clean, with lots of drawers and storage space. The kitchen had lots of appliances, like coffee makers, sandwich makers, toaster, etc.... and the refrigerator was stocked with bread, milk, juice, jams, butter, eggs, coffee, etc.... And the view was wonderful, as was the garden, full of blooming flowers. There is a washing machine which you can use for free, as well as a place to hang your clothes to dry them. The dryer was broken as of this writing but could be available in the future. The only phone is in the tiny "reception" area, and you put 50 cents in the till for local calls you make. The TV was mounted high on the wall.

I liked this place.... I loved the electric blankets here. Unlike ones I'm used to seeing, in Australia they put them on the top of the mattress (so they are under the bottom sheet and you). There are controls on each side just at the side of the mattress. Do be patient.... they are slow to warm up, so you may not feel the heat immediately. There was also an electric heater in the room, and we needed a bit of both at night, as it was chilly weather for us.

The only thing that was difficult was washing the dishes; there was no dish rack, so I used an extra towel I found in the bathroom cupboards on which to pile the dishes to dry off. There was a two-night minimum stay here, and they didn't wash the dishes for us after the first night, so it was necessary to do our own.

This was a very relaxed setting, but it seems they don't have problems finding clients. I'd go back, and it's a nice place to stay for a longer time. The room is big enough to be comfortable, etc...

• Related to: Budget Travel, Romantic Travel and Honeymoons, Road Trip
  • Written November 13, 2004

View from the Crows Nest, Hobart

• Kate-Me profile photo Kate-Me
  • Reviews: 1711
Pirate's Cove Caravan Park: Camping near Hobart

The park is by the Derwent river at Berriedale.
Cost : AUS $7 p.p. per night for unpowered site.

There aren’t many caravan parks in Hobart, strangely, and all are out of town.
There’s another one at Sandy Bay which we checked out, but it’s in a town setting, a long way from the water, and more expensive.

The views were great (2nd only to Bay of Fires). We were within a caravan campground, sure, but that didn't stop us from finding a great spacious camping spot only 6 feet from the edge of the river and a 2 feet drop into the river itself (can't get much closer than that!)

There were all kinds of birds around us, from seagulls, ducks, black swans, shearwaters and other birds whose names I don't know. And we were right in the middle of them.

A very nice place to stay.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Family Travel, Budget Travel, Camping
  • Written April 5, 2003

• RamSter profile photo RamSter
  • Reviews: 970

PennyRoyal,It has a very...

PennyRoyal,It has a very 'european' feel to it,with the stoned houses right next to canals.It was beautiful.I didnt stay here,but i think wed all like too!
dont know.didnt stay,just crossed its pciture perfect lcoation.

Beautiful Setting.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written September 12, 2002
Tip Photo

• j-san profile photo j-san
  • Reviews: 548

One way to do it that is...

One way to do it that is unusual and if you're young and fit (and short of money!) very rewarding, is to WOOF! Willing Workers On Organic Farms : http://www.wwoof.com.au/

I did this for a month staying on a farm run by a Dutch couple. At the time I was there, there was only one other Woofer, a Swedish boy. We had to get up really early (about 5.30am!), have a hearty home-cooked breakfast as a family at the table, and then get to work! The air was so crisp, my fingers FREEZING as I gathered potatoes, fed the chickens, pulled carrots, looked for duck eggs and helped my host father look after the cows... It was an unforgettable experience. And it was all FREE!!!

• Opinion of Price:
  • Written August 26, 2002
Tip Photo

• photobf profile photo photobf
  • Reviews: 346

Narrara

Narrara
$16

The day after staying at the Adelphi Court, I moved to here to Narrara. I really liked this hostel. It was fairly new when I stayed there.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written August 25, 2002

• Krystynn profile photo Krystynn
  • Reviews: 2957

I would like to humbly (but...

I would like to humbly (but highly) recommend the gorgeous HOTEL GRAND CHANCELLLOR, located at the waterfront of central Hobart. It is also only a few hundred meters away from Constitution Dock (see pic below), the final haven for yachts competing in the world famous Sydney to Hobart yacht race. You can even congratulate the victor(s) of the race and join in the merry-making (on New Year's Eve).... Everyone's absolutely friendly here! Oh, and this hotel has one of the BEST locations in the whole of Australia. Most of the major tourist attractions in Hobart are amazingly within walking distance from the hotel. So, pick up the phone and make your holiday reservations now!

Don't know... since my Dad foot the hotel bill. :-)))

Photo below: That's a pic of my Dad, Mom, Sister and Aunt at Constitution Dock....

Can you see the Hotel Grand Chancellor in the background?? Me? I was the Photographer!!!

They have EVERYTHING here to pamper the weary tourist/ traveler.... like color TV, refrigerator, mini-bar, in-house movies, hairdryers, radio, ISD/STD telephones, irons and ironing boards, tea and coffee making facilities, air conditioning and lovely balconies overlooking the dock! :-)) Ah, this is life!

• Opinion of Price: most expensive