25 Hunter Street, Hobart, Tasmania, 7000, Australia

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

More about The Henry Jones Art Hotel

Hobart's best hotel

by OzVisitors about Henry Jones Art Hotel

While claiming to be 5 star, suggest more 4.5, but nevertheless very comfortable and in the best spot in Hobart, on the waterfront. Stayed in waterfront room, very large, nice facilities, original artwork, however they missed out on some little things; forgot to leave 1 bathrobe, nothing to write with, had to ask for milk as one in fridge had gone off. Staff were great, very helpful and the food in the restaurant, especially the steaks we had were, I kid you not, the best we had had in our whole lives. Good value for money and suggest the indulgence for one or two nights. Waterfront location, cosy, nice feel, staff were very helpful.

Unique, beautiful, amazing

by TripAdvisor Member melissa_js

We stayed at the Henry Jones Art Hotel for about four nights last July, and we thought it was amazing. The rooms are just unlike anything I've ever seen in a hotel anywhere in the world as yet - in the deluxe spa suite we chose, the original stone walls, timber trusses and exposed beams are juxtaposed against the modernity of the glass-walled bathroom and all its features (including the beautiful deep spa bath). Add this to the amazing harbour views outside, which change dramatically from day to night, and you have a beautiful room. I was thrilled that my fiance chose this place to propose - it's a hotel I'll be thrilled to return to many, many times.

I found the staff very friendly and helpful without being intrusive, and the several requests I made to the room were met quickly and without fuss.The proximity to the Salamanca markets was great (a pretty stroll along the docks), and there are some very nice (albeit pricey) stores down in the atrium.

I did find that the doorless shower meant that we made a hell of a mess with water all over the place - but the heated floors (magic in winter) dried it up quickly, and the staff were brilliant with cleaning up quickly every day. It's worth it for such a unique bathroom. I did spend an inordinate amount of time in that spa - it is just so beautiful.

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful - do yourself a favour and visit Hobart this way.

Great place to stay

by TripAdvisor Member iBROX

Recently stayed at The Henry Jones hotel for business.

The hotel is different to other places I have stayed, very arty and funky looking.

The staff were great, very polite and informative.

Great feature of the room is the "pods" that contain the shower and toilet etc, very smart idea.

The room had all moden appliances (lcd tv, dvd player) and ammenaties.

Definitley recommend this place and would stay again when I visit Hobart.

Excellent in every respect

by TripAdvisor Member MEtraveller

Having read a couple of the recent negative reviews I wonder if they stayed at the same hotel as I did. I booked a group of 16 doctors into this hotel for a period of 3-5 nights for a conference in Hobart and did not receive ONE complaint from any of them about the rooms, hotel staff, meals or any of the amenities. Believe the hype - this is one of the best hotels in Australia and will do considerable repeat business from everyone in this group.

THE place to stay in Hobart!

by TripAdvisor Member Pestela

The Henry Jones is great...it's a funky old building converted to a hotel. If you like architecture, you'll specially like it.
Only thing I wouldn't recommend is the breakfast, I found it to be overpriced for the offerings. Walk to town and find a bakery.

A great place to stay in Hobart

by TripAdvisor Member Elysia

We recently enjoyed one night's stay at this charming hotel. The position of the hotel is very central down at the harbourside and parking available directly outside the hotel.

Rooms

Our room faced the harbour and was architecturally very interesting. The large king room housed a contemporary glass clad bathroom. The choice of bathroom fittings (including elliptical tub) and the large shower space gave a feeling of luxury and space.

The room furniture was not too exciting but the bed was comfortable and down pillows were delivered on request. It would be nice to have a down duvet instead of the blankets.

We ordered room service for dinner and the food was excellent. The staff were also extremely friendly.

The Public Areas

A very interesting mix of rooms and spaces. The contemporary artwork throughout the hotel is of a very high quality and the majority of it is for sale at very reasonable prices. There is a small grocer off the atrium, a wine shop and a number of retail outlets. A very pleasant coffee shop is also located off this atrium and sells great homemade muffins, cakes and scrumptious sandwiches. Great for breakfast.

The mix of contemporary architecture and heritage items creates an interesting hotel experience. I would highly recommend the Henry Jones.

Great Service but improvements need for our room

by TripAdvisor Member fatkoala

We stayed in this hotel for one night a week ago and the service is excellent and the staff is understanding. It is conveniently located in the harbourfront of Hobart and we found the valet parking is very efficient.

However, although the room we booked is a Deluxe Spa Atrium View Room, our room actually overlooked the nasty carpark instead of the Atrium. Funny enough, our room is on a newly-built floor located on the top of the eastern end of 2nd floor, which is only accessible through stairs. (We felt pity for the concierge though) Also, the modern architecture of the "extension" doesn't quite fit with the heritage emphasised theme of the hotel. And the worst thing is, the new floor has an zinc/iron external wall which a 27 degree day in Hobart with the sun shinning hard on the western external wall made the air-conditioning of the room almost non-existing.

The Oriential suite was fab!

by TripAdvisor Member Pippag

We stayed here following our wedding and so treated ourselves to an Oriential suite. The suite was huge and the overflowing spa was very relaxing! The bathroom was a good size- with a large shower. We had a view over the docks from the large windows and the hotel has a great, central location but was quiet at night. The common areas are also very nice with lots of art on the walls.

We had breakfast in the Jam Packed Cafe downstairs which was good value and very tasty food!

Luxury Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member neegs

We stayed at the Henry Jones Art House for one night, before moving on to cradle mountain... how I could have enjoyed a longer stay!
We booked the spa room, from memory this was located on the first floor and we had a view of the dock.
The room was smallish, but cosy, very modern and sleek. Just the place I would like to be on a cold day, over looking the dock and reading a book!
We found the staff FANTASTIC, very friendly and helpful. No request was too big orsmall for them, constantly providing valet parking on out many trips out. They even printed out directions for us to get to our next location.
We enjoyed the buffet breakfast which may have been slightly over priced, but we both fell in love with the porriage (highly recomment).
We stopped in at the bar and enjoyed a few cocktails, staff were happy and was a nice little setting.
Can't wait to go back!

Facts & Essentials

by SharrieShaw

"MY EXPERIENCE"

Tasmania is compact & easy to get around (if you've a car, ie).

The main cities (from tourist's perspective) are:
1) Hobart
(Stayed here for 3 nights.)
2) Launceston
(Passed through it twice on the way to & from Devonport.)
3) Devonport
(Stayed here for 2 nights.)
4) Brunie
5) Queenstown
6) Strahan
7) Port Arthur
8) Richmond

"HOBART"

RESTAURANTS:

(All were recommended by the concierge at Corus Hotel, but I only managed to go to the last 3)

DRUNKEN ADMIRAL - Only opens at night.

KELLEY'S (03) 6224 7225 - Opens both for lunch & dinner but not on Christmas & Boxing Day. I had Blue Travella here with scallops & prawns. Excellent. A$28 is steep but great food nonetheless.
Mike Kelley, one of the owner was really friendly & told me about how they ended up setting a restaurant in Hobart. He & his brother, Phil, had been in the business for more than 15 years!

MURES UPPER DECK (03) 6231 2121 - Opens for lunch & dinner. I
had both lunch & dinner here. Tasmanian Scallops ($28.50) & Crayfish ($34 for half). Good food but less personal. Lots of tourists & locals alike. Conveniently located & everyone who had been to Hobart had been here.
A dessert wine recommended here was pretty good, the McWilliams Mt. Pleasant Late Harvest ($6 a glass).

SISCO'S ON THE PIER (03) 6223 2059 - Opens only for dinner.
I sampled the Green Abalone ($23) & Periwrinkles (6 for $16) after having been to Mures for the Crayfish dinner! It was my last night in Tasmania & well, had to try the abalone. Those 2 dishes are served as appetizer anyhow. Small portion. Very good service.

Be prepared to spend at least $25 to $30 for all the main course dishes.

HOTELS:

I stayed at CORUS HOTEL HOBART for my first 2 nights as I could easily booked & (most importantly) canceled the reservation should the need arised on HotelBook.com.
Room rates for Christmas day & Boxing day were $110 per night, inclusive of tax. That's cheap compared to what I had to pay in Sydney. $230 for Grace Hotel on 30th Dec. night (notwithstanding that it's an excellent & conveniently located hotel)!

On the 29th, very luckily for me, I got a room in MACQUARIE MANOR, 2 blocks from Salamanca Place. It's A$120 for a single. It's almost impossible to get a room at such a time due to the Sydney-Hobart Yacht Race & everyone is in town to watch the yachts coming in. I reasoned it's because it's a boutique hotel & not many know about it, plus it's a single room. Helen at Mac. Manor told me they have nothing for doubles at all. It's a 4 1/2 * property. Thanks to Kate at Sunrise Inn in Devonport for her help in securing a reservation here.

"DEVONPORT"

RESTAURANT:

I only dined here once since I spent most of my time in Cradle mountain & was also on diet.

MALLEE GRILL (03) 6424 4477 serves excellent steaks. I especially like the Plum sauce with it. I was also introduced to a very nice sweet wine, the McWilliam's Fruitwood. I was told it's cheap outside (less than $10 a bottle). It's $4 a glass here. Still, it's an excellent choice. The staff was also very friendly.

HOTEL:

COMFORT INN SUNRISE (Email: res@sunrise-inn.com.au) offers personal & friendly service. Kate & Angela especially helped me felt at home here. It's a 10 mins walk from town but offers a great way to venture into the residential area of Devonport & I esp. enjoy the walks around the homes. Reminded me very much of homes in Canada.
The residents here have very nice gardens & wide arrays of flowers.

USEFUL WEBSITES

"ISLANDWIDE"

Federal Hotels & Resorts: FederalResorts.com.au

Hotel Grand Chancellor: GHIHotels.com

Tasmania's National Park: Parks.tas.gov.au

Tourism Tasmania: DiscoverTasmania.com

"HOBART & TASMANIA'S SOUTH"

Battery Point Boutigue Accommodation: TasStay.com

Tasmania South Visitor Info: TasmaniaSouth.com

Tasmanian Devil Park: TasmanianDevilPark.com

Tigerline / Tassielink Coaches: TigerLine.com.au

Wooden Boat Centre: WoodenBoatCentre.com

Details of the campDetails of the camp

Unnamed cascadeUnnamed cascade

Looking out to North Hobart from the CBDLooking out to North Hobart from the CBD

Franklin SquareFranklin Square