The Lodge On Elizabeth

Booking.com AMOMA.com Otel.com

Value Score Great Value!

Costs about the same, but rated 12% higher than other 3.5 star hotels

More about Hobart

city view from the lookoutcity view from the lookout

There's all types hereThere's all types here

Captain Fells cruise boatCaptain Fells cruise boat

Mount Wellington.Mount Wellington.

Port Arthur Enquiry

by swdke

Hi, I have a question regarding the Port Arthur Gold Pass option. I see that the Gold Pass covers "everything." I only have 1 day, but I am interested in doing everything that the Gold Pass covers.

Here's what the Gold Pass offers per the Port Arthure website:

Access to more than thirty historic buildings, ruins and gardens
Introduction to Port Arthur walking tou
Isle of the Dead tour (incorporating a Harbour Cruise)
Point Puer tour
Audio tour
Lunch on-site at the Museum Coffee Shop or Port Café
Morning and afternoon tea

In order to do all these activities, how many hours do I need to allocate for my one day? Or, what time do I need to arrive, or what is a good time to arrive, to begin seeing/doing all the Gold Pass options, and about what time in the afternoon can I expect to complete my day?

The reason I request this information is because I only have the one day, I like the Gold Pass options, I'll be driving from Hobart, and I need to figure what time I need to depart Hobart, and about what time can I expect to be back at hobart.

Thank you.

by fionasydney

I'm interested in this info too!

by sirgaw

Its about 10 years since we were at Port Arthur, so I'm a bit out of date.

Not sure of the driving time Hobart/Port Arthur (around 90 kilometres - maybe 90 mi), but when you do, stop at Eaglehawk Neck and see how the area was a natural prison with a very small neck of land protected by guards/dogs.

To do all that is on the gold pass would take more than a day. Depends on your interest in things historical, but there is a lot to see. There are some B&B's in the area and I'd suggest staying 1 night.

To see a contrast between where the cons were housed and the top brass, make sure you get to see the governors residence - that guy lived in style.

We did the harbour tour and that was about 20 minutes, dead island tour would be about 30 minutes (small island).

There is a lot to see at PA and if you can't spend a night there, I'd suggest leaving 90 minutes (or so) before the place opens and stay until it closes and allow 90 minutes or so to get back to Hobart.

by booker78

My wife and I were at Port Arthur 2 years ago. You would be best to be at the gate when the doors open and spend the whole day there, if you do that, you will be able to do everything listed on your Gold Pass. I am pretty sure my wife and I did all that stuff (except the audio tour - we just walked round ourselves) and then we came back for the after dark 'Ghost Tour' which was well worth the wait as well, but no good for you if you dont want to drive back to Hobart in the middle of the night - you might be a little scared from the Ghost tours.

Also, depends why you need to get back to Hobart that day, you could sleep in one of the P.A. b&bs or campsites (we had a campervan) and then drive back to Hobart early in the morning.

Anyway, hope that helps a little bit, enjoy it, its a fun day out with heaps of dark Australian history!

Travel Tips for Hobart

Great Street Names

by Kate-Me

I found some delightful street names in Hobart, like Napoleon and Cromwell, Macquarie and Liverpool Streets.
There are pubs with English and Seafarer names like « Royal Exchange », Shipwrights Arms, Hope and Anchor Tavern (near Constitution dock), Drunken Admiral and more.

Port Arthur is well worth a...

by Svitata

Port Arthur is well worth a visit, with it's ruined walls and prison buildings. This is where the British used to send their convicts to. There are many stories of ghosts and hauntings that are being told and even sightings of spirits too! Ghost tours in the ruins (at night) are available, just check with the local tour agencies.

Fresh seafood from fishing boat

by yann.ng about Seafood Sensation

A boat that sells takeaway seafood docked along other side of Victoria dock from Mures. There's a row of benches at the back where u can sit and look into the scenery of the dock and beyond. Fish & Chips

Drive up the East coast...

by Mike_Ashy

Drive up the East coast highway.
It is a fantastic drive as the road winds its way around the beaches for many kilometers of the coast from orford in the south to st helens in the north. Bay of fires and St helens are great places to visit!
Coles bay is also a MUST see. hike up to the top of Mt Amos. It's a hard hike but the views are worth it!!!

Dockside parks

by iandsmith

Parliament House Gardens are located adjacent to the historic Salamanca area; in fact, if you're visiting the markets there's a fair chance you'll walk right next to them.
They have, at the right time, sweeping annual displays with mature oaks, elms, limes and plane trees; some up to 150 years old.
This little park adjacent to the Hobart Parliamentary House is a great place to sit down, relax and watch the time pass by.
They had a display of Da VInci machines taking up some of the room when I was last there.
However, with its beautiful lawns and tall shady trees, it's guaranteed to put you in a relaxed state of mind.
You may get to see some famous Hobart official (not that you'd necessarily recognize him/her) or other Australian politician leaving the building.

Comments