303 Hobart Rd, Launceston, Tasmania, 7249, Australia
Agoda.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Launceston

Boag&SonsBreweryBoag&SonsBrewery

Windermere churchWindermere church

Tamar River Cruise.Tamar River Cruise.

AlexandraSuspensionBridgeAlexandraSuspensionBridge

Travel Tips for Launceston

MOLE CREEK CAVES

by balhannah

Mole Creek has Caves which we intended to visit, but found out the last tour had just begun, we were a fraction too late, so what to do.....Well, we admired the fantastic
Tree ferns, in the 30 minute return Fern Glade Walk.
The walk starts at the Marakoopa Cave ticket office and leads to the cave entrance, following the creek as it tumbles down the hillside from inside the cave itself.

In case you would like to visit the caves, the times & info are.....

Marakoopa Cave
Underground Rivers and Glow-worms Tour (10 am, 12 noon and 2 pm daily, plus 4.00 pm from 1 Oct - 31 May)
Visit the lower chamber with its crystals, reflection pools, stalactites and stalagmites and wander down abandoned river passages. An easy tour.

Great Cathedral and Glow-worms Tour (11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm daily)
The large cavern is known as the 'Great Cathedral'. The Gardens' feature delicate formations and beautiful colours. Medium fitness levels are required to ascend the stairway to the 'Great Cathedral.

King Solomons Cave
Tours 11.30 am, 12.30 pm, 2.30 pm and 3.30 pm daily, plus 4.30 pm from 1 Dec - 30 Apr

Cave tour ticket holders do not require a valid parks pass whilst visiting King Solomons Cave and Marakoopa Cave

PRICES 2008 $16 Adult per cave tour

Drive west from Mole Creek on road B12 until you see the sign for Marakoopa Cave and drive up to the ticket office. About 15 minutes from Mole Creek.

CLARENDON HOUSE

by balhannah

Located at 234 Clarendon Station road, the magnificent Clarendon House which was built in 1838, is situated on 7 hectares.

Its 27ks from Launcestion, just a little further on from Evandale on the c416 road.

Clarendon was a big pastoral farm. It has many farm buildings, servants quarters and gardens and parkland. An avenue of trees leads to the house. In the Conservatory, there is a Restaurant and tea rooms, also, if you wish to stay, there are cottages available.

Opening hours are 10 - 4pm
Admission 2008 is $10, if you are a National trust member, then it is free.
This is a beautiful Georgian house.

The Messenger

by SharrieShaw

Jan. 27, 2005.

Launceston was a city I know nothing of until I was here. I didn't even know of its existence!

Well, it's a city about 2 1/2 hours from Hobart & 1 hour from Devonport. Reason why I was passing through it was it's on the way to Devonport from Hobart & vice versa.

Launceston ( I like the sound of its name) is a charming city. It's know for its many parks. But I like its architecture basically.
A nice post office, an attractive Anglican church & some other "full of character" buildings.
All in all, I like the look & feel of the city.

A post office which looked like centerstage of the city. Reminded me of my hometown.
It's like the central station of the city.
Its pulse.

The Post Office ... a place which brings people together, the messenger with the good news.
These days, I hardly received any mails from friends via the post office.
We've "advanced" ... the push-technology.
Everything delivered with a push of a button. Instantly.
Is that good?
I'm not sure. I know one thing I've became more impatient!
I was impatient to begin with. Even as a child. I was constantly throwing tantrums coz I wanted things my way & magically instant as well!
I even learned the art of Gandhi ... starved myself for 2 meals in order to get that very 1st VCR! & I was still a child! Where did I learn such stuff?

It was fun to reminiscent now ... those were the days, my childhood!
Filled with energy & hopes.
Filled with love & mischieves.
Filled with all that a child could wish for!
Strange enough, this is one city which I feel still has that quality ...
A city where a child could grow up with all those feelings!

Comments