Cradle Mountain Lodge

Costs 70% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Cradle Mountain Lodge

Best Mountain Resort

by Kennethsoh about Cradle Mountain Lodge

Enjoy a quiet holiday vacation on the mountains close to near where wildlife comes knocking at your balcony.

Wildlife such as Pademelon and Poseum are regular visitors to your balcony.

Units comes with full size bath tub for 2 person. Very romantic and best place for those coming for Honeymoon and Wedding Anniversary.

Cradle Mountains best lodge

by tropicrd about Cradle Mountain lodge

The separate lodges are very comfortable and kept warm.
They have an entry to take off muddy or wet outer clothing before entering into the main rooms.
All meals are served in the main lodge--no cooking in rooms.
Each lodge has its own car parking space. The lodge has its own walking tracks along bubbling creeks which adds to the atmosphere.
A transit coach will take you to Dove Lake.
The breakfasts and dinners at the lodge are excellent and they will cater for any special needs.
The fire places are kept going so when you enter the main lodge you are greeted with this warmth after a cold day out,sitting around the fire with a drink and chatting to other people is a part of the lodges character.

Great Location

by lesaandbill about Wagners Cottages

This is a selfcontained cottage right off the main road in Swansea. We stayed at this place because it was convenient to everything...and the cost was a little lower than the rest. The only bad thing...it was right off the main road. Although, it's not that busy...and things settled down after dark.

Otherwise...this place was perfect. Close to the beach...and It had a big stone wall in the kitchen...tons of pots, pans, and a large sized kitchen. They provided fresh eggs and tomatos, milk and good coffee free of charge. They had a washer, dryer...heated floors in the bathroom...with a large spa tub. A nice sized bedroom with a comfy bed...and a living room with a huge open log fireplace.

We went up and down the east coast and did alot of discovery during the day...then...grabbed fresh seafood and a bottle of wine...and chilled out by the fireplace at night. It was easter week-end...so we were there when the weather turned cold...but it was one of the most amazing holidays we've taken...in one of the prettiest parts of the world.

We would recommend this place to others, as Freycinet takes an additional 30 minutes to get in and out to the main road...if you're planning on going out and discovering a bit...and don't have a lot of time. The other two places close to here we would recommend are Piermont Retreat (same cottages as wagners...off the road and closer to the beach..but a little more pricey) www.piermont.com.au ...or kabuki by the sea www.kabukibythesea.com.au this is a japanese ryokan...and it's on a cliff overlooking the water. They had great prices...and good recommendations from every travel magazine...but their website was not fancy...so we chose wagners...but saw kabuki...and it looked amazing.

Otherwise...if you're in tassie for long...a great way to explore would be the cradle mountain lodge for 1/2 of the time...then freycinet lodge the other 1/2 www.puretasmania.com

Cradle Mountain

by Gypsy_Saskia

A fantastic NP, lovely rangers and shuttle bus drivers, wildlife, great walking routes and an excellent nature photography exhibition. All in one. Don't miss Cradle Mountain when in Oz.

We stayed in Cradle Mountain Chateau, which was basic but fine. Not great restaurant options (buffet or very fancy, nothing in between) but Cradle Mountain Lodge is nearby and serves decent tucker in humongous portions.

Wilderness Wonder

by TripAdvisor Member bmam

We have just stayed at Cradle Mountain Lodge for 3 nights. After a long drive from Hobart it was wonderful to be greeted by such an amazingly beautiful place. We stayed in a Spa Cabin which was very relaxing, clean and comfortable. We especially liked the Voyages CDs we could listen to while putting our feet up and reading a book in the robes provided.
The walks around the lodge and at the national park are gorgeous and many types of wildlife are seen regularly. We were lucky to get a huge snowfall while we were there which added to the peacefulness and beauty of the place.
The buffet breakfast is amazing. Plenty of food and heaps of choice. The staff are very welcoming and helpful too. We dined each night in the Tavern/Bistro which was good but not a huge variety if you are going to be staying for a few nights.
Overall this place is an absolute wonder and we will be back for sure one day!

beautiful retreat

by TripAdvisor Member kay-l-gee

We stayed for two nights in a spa cabin at Cradle Mountain Lodge in November 2006 and rate it as one of the highlights of our trip to Tasmania.

Cabin
The cabin was huge, with a hallway for leaving hiking boots and outdoor clothes and a separate kitchenette (kettle, fridge and basic necessities of plates, cutlery etc). The main room had space for a seating area around a wood burning stove (that was prepared ready just to have a match put to it), and a dining table, plus plenty of hanging space and surfaces. The large balcony was hardly overlooked by other cabins. The spa bath, next to a picture window with a beautiful view, was marvellous. Decor was a little dated, but suited the style of the cabin.

Lodge and grounds
It seemed a long drive from the main lodge to our cabin, but there are many small footpaths (lit at night) so by foot it was only a few minutes walk, usually meeting wallabies and wombats on the way. The Lodge had open fires and a big lounge with huge comfortable sofas. We ate in both the Highland restaurant and Tavern bistro and had great food and good service in both. Breakfast in the Highland restaurant is a fantastic buffet with plenty of choice. We also ordered a picnic lunch and received more food than we could eat (or carry).

National Park
Cradle Mountain Lodge is on the very edge of the Cradle Mountain/Lake St. Clair National Park and you do need to buy a Park Pass from the nearby Visitor's Centre to enter. We left the car at the lodge and took the shuttle bus to Dove Lake, where the views and walks are just spectacular.

It was amazing!

by TripAdvisor Member hayem

I took my Mum here for her 50th Birthday present. We had such a great time and we both cant think of anything that needed to be made any better. I bought the 3 night spa package online at the Voyages website and it was worth every cent. Two of our days were beautiful and sunny with clear skies and a perfect view of Cradle Mountain. On the last two days it was cold and rainy but it definietly added to the experience. In the Spa package you receive a bottle of Bollinger on arrival and each night when we got back to our cabin we had something special waiting for us - first night we had canapes and port, second night we had 3 different cheeses, dried fruit and biscuits with port and the last night we had white chocolate fondu with strawberries and marshmellows. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was kept clean and tidy. Breakfast was included in the package and it was amazing, too much to choose from - eggs, bacon, tomato, mushrooms, porridge, muesli, cheese, fruit, toast, pastries, croissants - you name it! The Tavern bar was really, really yummy for dinner but we found the lunch menu was a little pricy with not a wide range, the main Resturant was by far the best meal we had had in a long time. Also in the spa package was a guided walk around Dove Lake, it was cold and rainy but they supplied us with wet weather gear and we stopped in the middle of a rain forest for afternoon tea, we loved it. The spa cabin was great, we had a wood fire and a little verandah which overlooked a forest with a creek running through it. Also included in the Spa package was a Hot Stone massage which went for an hour and a half, it was the best thing ever and a foot massage which was great after our 2 1/2 hour walk around Dove Lake. The Waldheim Alpine Spa located at Cradle Mountain Lodge was amazing, the Santucary is fantastic. There are lots of little walks around the lodge and a ropes course which was a bit of a laugh. There is too many good things to say! I cant wait to go back there.

Fantastic Experience

by TripAdvisor Member Jlr1013

stayed at the Cradle Mountain Lodge in October 06 and I loved it. The drive from Launceston is a bit of a trek -- especially if you miss a turn and end up so lost you run out of pavement - but well worth it (and the lost experience made a great story and saw some beautiful scenery there too!).

The staff at the lodge is very helpful and welcoming, even when I arrived two hours before checking -- they got me situated in my cabin right away and I had a relaxing break for a few hours. The cabins (mine had been renovated) are very tastefully decorated, HUGE and it was so nice to lounge on the corner chaise, with a glass of wine, and the fireplace running while outside the rain turned to snow.

It did snow all the days I was there, but I was still able to take advantage of the Enchanted Circle Walk (free); the Wildlife Spotting Drive (additional cost) and I'd highly recommend both - the Enchanted Circle walk can be done by yourself but it's so much better with the guide, he tells great stories about the area and is a fountain of knowledge about the flora and fauna. He's also the driver the wildlife viewing expedition - we saw lots of wallabies, a wombat, but the best part was the Eastern Quoll that just hung out in the spotlight for a good 5 minutes - it was amazing and well worth the additional fee.

I walked over to the park and took the shuttle to Dove Lake - INCREDIBLE views (and I'm from Colorado, I'm a bit jaded when it comes to Mountain views!).

Because of the weather, I did spend a fair amount of time in the Lodge building as well - everyone was very friendly and helpful. lots of reading material and board games; the tavern/bar area is a nice place to relax and socialize -- I did throw them a bit when I asked for a hot chocolate and Bailey's rather than the more typical coffee and Baileys but they figured it out and took care of me right away.

The main restaurant is no more pricey than any other hotel - great food, good wine, good service. The included breakfast buffet is excellent - lots of juices and lots of options (I loved the oatmeal with real cream -- I was on vacation after all).

All in all, they stay here left me wishing I'd skipped Freyceinet Lodge (beautiful location, rude staff) and booked another night here instead!!

I will be going back at some point, I know, and I can't wait!

back to nature

by TripAdvisor Member antartica

We stayed in a spa cabin for 2 nights at the end of October. When booking I was assured that all cabins had a wood-burning stove so we were disappointed when we got to our cabin to find a remote-controlled gas fire instead. To be fair, the room was beautifully renovated, with luxurious contemporary decor, but you can get that in any hotel and was not the experience that we were looking for. After complaining at the reception, they said that all renovated cabins now had the gas fires while the unrenovated cabins still had the log fires, but were being phased out. We were quickly moved to one of the older cabins with log fire, which we liked better - it hadn't had the makeover but was still very comfortable and actually had a lot more space and better views than the new cabin, with a balcony looking out into the treetops. We also thought it had more character and charm, and loved curling up by the fire with a book in the evening. So if you want a log fire - make it very clear when you book.
The nature surrounding the lodge is fantastic - the cabins are scattered through pristine woodland with clear streams running through. We were told that platypus live in one of the rivers but sadly they did not come out for us. The other wildlife made up for it though - just wander around the lodge grounds and you are guaranteed to see wallabies, big fat wombats and possums munching away. We went on the night-time spotlight tour, which was good but only because we had a Tasmanian Devil trotting along the road in front of us for about 10 minutes, using the car's headlights to look for roadkill! If we hadn't seen the devil it would have been a waste of money because all the other animals can be seen around the lodge pretty much at any hour.
It is right on the edge of the National Park, but there are also several walks departing from the lodge itself which looked great although we did not have the time to try them - we spent the day hiking up around Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain - a stunning piece of countryside. We ate in the tavern both nights and had good pub food next to the fireside. The buffet breakfast was also very good and plentiful.
We loved this place for its pure air, nature and seclusion - no mobile coverage - what a luxury! The spa is also fabulous - the best foot massage after a long day's hike. A good tip - book a slot in the spa at the same time as you book your room as the spa is very popular and will probably be fully booked already when you arrive. And take advantage of the spa's outside hot tub before your treatment - the views over the river and forest are incredible.

Charming

by TripAdvisor Member Lonpatrick

We stayed in the spa cabin for 2 nights in Nov and brought home with us a number of nice photo and beautiful memory. For anyone who is planning a trip to Tasmania, this is definitively a spot you should not miss. The cabin is large and nicely decorated. Our cabin is attached to the others but we could hardly hear the sound from the other side (you know how quiet the background is). We saw wombat, wallaby, jungle crow outside the cabin that we felt like they were trained to greet us. The rate is rather expensive but we find it value for money.

Great viewsGreat views

Cataract GorgeCataract Gorge

StillwaterStillwater

Monkey enclosureMonkey enclosure

Romantic Getaway

by aussirose

Hi all. My work collegue and bf are going to the Melbourne cup this year and want to spend a short holiday in Tassi after because the cheap air fares. What I mean by a short holiday is only 3 days. They are looking for something romantic with a spa & fireplace that they can relax with a few glasses of good red. Of course I jumped right on the case and said I'd ask my good mates on vt to help out :o) Travel forum is my first point of call. Of course I'll check out some pages here....but I'm sure you all have good first hand tips to share. ;o)
Cheers, Ann.

by Kakapo2

A private timber cabin at the Cradle Mountain Lodge! Feed possums in the evening, have your wine, relax in the spa. They have open fires and just everything you request, and the surroundings are just stunning.

Check out here:

by Kakapo2

I just checked the prices for the lodge, it is rather pricey.

So I looked at more affordable options at Cradle Mountain:

http://www.cradlehighlander.com.au/ (and more romantic!)

by aussirose

Oooo, now that does look nice Sissi! Thanks for the link matey :o) I'll certainly tell her about it.

Accommodation in Tasmania

by ANNE930

HI All,

We are a group of 3 and are planning for a 5 days trip to Tasmania on 2Apr. We will drive on our own. While we will work out a preliminary itinerary for the 5 days, it is sometimes difficult to really stick to the schedule. Therefore, we intend not to book any accommodation in advance but wonder whether it will be very easy to find accommodation (mainly motel) along.

For Cradle Mountain, we do want to spend overnight there as we should arrive there late in the afternoon. I've checked Cradle Mountain lodge and the cheapest one is still very expensive (almost AUD$300 for a room which can accommodate 3 person). I wonder whether I can find some other accommodation near Cradle Mountain which is more affordable.

Really appreciate your information and advice.

Thanks
Anne

by margsch

I found Tasmania expensive compared with South Australia where I live. For accommodation - I don,t know much about Cradle Mountain but for towns I recommend using cabins in Caravan Parks, these were reasonably priced compared with Motels. In Hobart I used Old Woolstore Apartments several times, these are very nice and right in the centre of the city.

by Kakapo2

Best you check out on www.wotif.com where you can even find accommodation at the Cradle Mountain Lodge (which is really lovely!) for A$ 209 on some days.

There are cheaper options available, and eight accomm providers are listed.

by balhannah

This is a caravan park that has a big choice of cabins. I thought the rates were ok for 3 people as this area is high on the list for tourist's.
It is a Top 4 Caravan park, which is top of the line in Australia.

Also, on the page link below, check out Tullah Lodge, thats about 25 kms away from Cradle mountain. Also more information on the discovery holiday park which is a line of parks throughout Tasmania.

by swissfondue

You could try Cradle Mountain Highlander Cottages. Depending on which cabins are available rates for three people would be between $170.00 - $250.00.

The accommodation around Cradle Mountain is expensive because of its wilderness location. I havent stayed at the cottages but they are located between Cradle Mountain Chateau (have stayed there but found it overpriced) and the Lodge.
None of the places are really easy walking distance from each other in terms of restaurant meals but you have a car so no problem there.

Ticket in Tasmania

by Kirrk

Hi, everyone!

My name's Kirk and I'm planning a holiday in Tassie. I just found that there are many different passes in Tasmania, one called "Tasmanian National Parks Entry Fees" http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/natparks/current_fees.html, it's quite cheap, as it costs "only" 50 bucks for a car for 8 weeks. There are other passes such as the "see tasmania card" listed on http://www.seetasmaniacard.com/pages_menuitems/prices.html. So which pass would you guys recommand me for a 7-day trip in Tassie?

Looking forward to ur replies!

Cheers!

by Mikebb

Hi We went for 10 days approx 3 years ago but did not buy any passes. I think you must work out how many parks etc you will visit, there are so many places to visit in Tasmania make certain they are covered by the particular pass. An example would be the Port Arthur Penal Settlement, need a half day at least, but I doubt if covered by pass. Should you go to the West Coast & Strahan, are the Gordon River Cruise and the Railway Trip to Arrowtown included.
What I am saying is in 7 days how many parks will you be visiting , when some of the best tours take you through these pristine areas.
You will enjoy your visit as Tasmania is a tremendous destination.
Good Luck, Mike

by grumpybum

Hi,
Many years ago we took a trip down to Wilson's Promontory National Park in southern Victoria and had to pay an entrance fee. Not cheap either. Never been in an 'entrance fee admittance' National Park ever since.

Is Australia the only country in the world that charges admission fees to visit national public parks?

I think it is bit of a cheek when our taxes and rates are paying for the management and upkeep of these these wilderness areas and then we are charged to visit them!!!!

Like Mike said, there are plenty of things to see and without having to pay greedy government departments for the priviledge of looking round "public" property.

by graememooney

this bus company sells one week all you can travel bus passes (Tassie Pass)

and their buses cover the whole island. I did that in '96. From Launceston went to Stanley, then off back to Burnie, Sheffield, Cradle Mountain Lodge, Strahan, Hobart, Port Arthur, Port Dover and then back to Launcestion. Stayed in B&B's mostly. Don't miss Port Arthur or Cradle Mountain, or Wineglass Bay (Freycinet)or the river boat tour from Strahan.

If you do buy a Tassie Pass, let Stephen Larissey (the owner) that Graeme Mooney recommended you :D

by graememooney