West Coaster Motel

sirgaw's Profile Photo

- rated 3 and a half stars

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 22, 2014

We arrived late afternoon for our pre-booked 2 night stay at the West Coaster Motel. I was quite surprised that our credit card had already been charged for the stay and we were simply handed the receipt – I really think they should have waited until we’d checked in.

After we’d got the key we were informed that the restaurant attached to the motel has an all you can eat 3 course buffet for $35 adults and $25.50 for seniors – seemed a good deal, so we ‘signed up’ for that evening seeing it was already getting dark. When we arrived at the restaurant a noisy bus group had beaten us by a few minutes and we were last in the queue for drinks and then our meal, which I must say was very good for the price.

The motel accommodation was quite OK and had all the facilities normally required. Took a bit of getting used to the toilet flushing system but most places do have their own idiosyncrasies. WIFI is available and I seem to remember the price was $2 for our stay.

Motel located only a short distance from the West Coast Wilderness Railway station and the adjacent Orr Street with the small shopping/eating strip.

Although the motel itself was up to its advertised 3 + half star rating, I just felt the stay could have been better – maybe the attitude of the manager (maybe owner) couple was not that good towards me and may have clouded my opinion of the establishment. Also their main business seems to be catering for coach groups and the ‘mass feeding’ did put us off. Each of our 2 night stay, different large coaches were parked right outside our motel unit which did make parking for our car a bit difficult. In the mornings, the coach drivers would start up the engines around 7.45am to warm up the interior their guests creating noise and fumes – then when everyone had boarded, the reversing warning devise with its noisy bleep, bleep was only a few metres from our unit.

Nearby West Coaster Motel

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free Parking

Queenstown Travel Forum

Need advice about Queenstown, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Queenstown and ask our Answer Gurus.

Explore Deeper into Queenstown