Lake House

Tags

Business Travel Romantic Travel and Honeymoons Spa and Resort
See Amenities

Never Again

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 6, 2011

I normally wouldn't write a review, but I felt inspired to.

In reading through the comments of previous guests, I would have to say I very much agree with the review about the unnecessarily pretentious the overwhelming majority of the staff were. I really don't know why they were acting so condescendingly, but it made the relaxed atmosphere very unpleasant. This is likely to be a management problem.

While the location was fantastic, the room was pretty crappy, and the food was really lacklustre and pretentious. I appreciate fine dining and have dined in some nice restaurants in my time, but the food was relatively mediocre and extremely parsimonious. This is likely to be a management problem as the chef was obviously skilled.

Overall, a very disappointing experience and I'd be looking to stay somewhere else in Daylesford. Then again I get the feeling that I wouldn't be welcomed back, it would be too much of an imposition on the staff.

Unique Quality: Great location.

5 Stars on the Lake

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 3, 2005

Approximately 25 years ago the Lake House was a vision of Alla and her husband Alan.
They bought property on the Lake and built the restaurant followed by the accommodation.

This was a gamble as tourism as yet hadn't hit Daylesford. Alla being a chief had the qualifications for putting together her dream of a Restaurant.

Over the years this dream has grown to a 5 Star Private Hotel

Here you can have weddings, functions or that special celebration.

The Restaurant has won many awards.

Unique Quality: The Lake House Restaurant and Accommodation on the banks of the Daylesford Lake.
On a warm day you can sit on the lawn and read a book, take some bread and feed the ducks.
There is a swimming pool in the grounds of the accommodation.
Have beauty treatments without leaving your accommodation.
Enjoy the wonderful menu at the Restaurant. This over looks gardens and the lake.

All in all it has everything you need.

Directions: As you head into Daylesford from Ballan it is on your right left hand side along the lake.
Plenty of signage.

Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Morning tea at Lake House

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 14, 2005

I loved the European style terrace overlooking the lake, with flowers in window boxes and bright sunshine – it was my favourite part of the tour (besides the delicious chocolate brownies for morning tea!)
The staff really looked after us well, and one gets the impression that excellence in customer service is given to everyone.

Unique Quality: There are tennis courts and other sports on offer, and the venue is also well known for conferences and weddings. They seem to have the ability to be able to cater to anyone or any group, and manage just about any request a guest could make. Like several properties in town, Lake House also has its own Spa Resort within the complex, called Salus Spa, which offers a multitude of different kinds of therapies and treatments, including an impressive enormous double shower (too complicated to describe but they're expensive and I'd never seen one) called a Hydrostorm.

Kate-Me's Profile Photo

5 star resort by Lake Daylesford

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 14, 2005

I didn't actually stay at Lake House, but rather went there for morning tea on a familiarisation tour with other volunteers from Daylesford Tourism, however we had a comprehensive look at the property and I feel able to describe it quite well to you.
Lake House is not only a famous 5 star resort in Victoria, but also well known elsewhere in Australia. I'm not sure how far word of its fame has spread, but it is well known in Melbourne luxury circles and has won many awards and been written up in many many lifestyle magazines.
With so much publicity, I was almost expecting my visit not to live up to expectations, but I wasn't disappointed, but rather impressed at the quality of the place and high level of service - what I believe is what really wins them their awards.

Unique Quality: Lake House, to me, seemed to have just about everything a resort could want (except a tropical beach on its doorstep) - the resort accommodation buildings almost had a tropical feel to them, surrounded by gardens, wooden style as one might find in the tropics...but with many rooms having a view of Lake Daylesford itself.
The only thing I was a little bit disappontment were the lake views from the rooms - it may be the most expensive real estate in the whole area, (with these rooms costing up to $500 per night, depending on season and night of the week) but to me, the lake just didn't look quite that extraordinary. Great place though overall.
The restaurant is also award winning - way out of my price range, but if you're wanting to really splurge and spoil yourself, this is the place to do it, and I've heard the desserts (which you can order as a small sample of many dishes) are simply to die for.....indeed some visitors come just for afternoon tea or dessert.

Nearby Lake House

• Suites
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Daylesford Travel Forum

Need advice about Daylesford, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Daylesford and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Daylesford hotel reviews