Comfort Inn Lorneview Apartments

Expedia.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Poor

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Lorne

Coastline near Lorne at low tideCoastline near Lorne at low tide

Rocks at Roadknight's HeadRocks at Roadknight's Head

Kayaking at Roadknight's HeadKayaking at Roadknight's Head

Roadknight's Head, rocks at low tideRoadknight's Head, rocks at low tide

Horse riding in Lorne great ocean road

by chakra6

My partner and i are staying in lorne for my 30th birthday next weekend 2 july and leaving 4th, we would like to try out horse riding along the beach we heard that they do it there somewhere and would like to organise it, who would we contact about this ??

Re: Horse riding in Lorne great ocean road

by Marpessa

The only group I can think of is 'Blazing Saddles' - I think they go along the beach - I'm not certain though - cos when I went we went for a ride in the bush (that was a few years ago) - but here's their email address: blazing@iprimus.com.au - hope that helps!

Cassie

Travel Tips for Lorne

In memoriam

by iandsmith

Artist Julie Squires, an ex-Novocastrian (ex Newcastle) now living in Melbourne, was chosen as the person to create a sculpture commemorating the road's construction and its reasons for conception; she took the responsibility most seriously and explains the kinds of research that went in to her creation.
"Particularly for me, if I'm sculpting a piece that has such historical significance, all the details have to be accurate, and all the information authentic. I started with the Lorne Historical Society, who have a fantastic collection of photographs of the men who actually built the road, so I was able to get details such as the clothing, the shape of the shovels and pick handles... the wheelbarrows and that sort of thing. I also went to the RSL archives library in the city and spent some time going through books, reading stories about men who'd come back, and getting the details from the military side of things. Of course I read books on the 8th Battalion, whom I believe the men from around Ballarat were part of, were involved in building the road." "One of the main things is that there are two underlying themes I had to try and express; one was the fact they were returned servicemen, and that it works as a memorial to those veterans, and another is they built the road by hand, and we're trying to educate people to the significance of that, and the fact these men had come back from the war and were given the mission of digging out the road, and they stayed together in [camps] with the men they'd fought [alongside]. I just tried to get those two themes together... things like their boots, their jackets, their braces and the classic military hat... one of the main things are that the two figures are connected by water bottles... I've used the World War 1 water bottle as the significant component that links the two figures together."
Although the First World War is a universe away in terms of politics, media and technology compared to today's armed conflicts, Julie's intensive research upon her subject matter found herself - and her work - making links to the diggers of the 21st century, and it's her hope people will consider that when they ponder her work.
"One of the things that hit me, was that I always thought of soldiers as being men - it sounds funny - but when I was going through these images, to me they just seemed like boys, they were 19 and 20, youthful and young and heading off to war, and it was a different perception for me; I actually felt quite maternal towards them - I'm older now, of course," she laughs, but quickly becomes quite serious. "It really brought home to me what the men - the current soldiers - are going though over there, and then have to get back in to society. I think it's something we all have to be appreciative and sensitive to."

Peaceful Coastal Town

by ATXtraveler

Lorne is definitely a slow paced coastal town. It was early in the spring, so we did not see many businesses open and thriving in the morning, and there were not too many residents out on the streets.

Lorne is located 200 miles west of Melbourne, along the Great Ocean Road. It is neighbored by Anglesea to the east, and Apollo Bay to the West. It sits on Louttit Bay, named after the Captain who retrieved cargo from a shipwreck bringing it to port here.

It has several different short walks, and has several viewable waterfalls. It is also a partial namesake for Lorne-Angahook State Forest.

Currently, there are 3000 registered residents.

Anglehook-Lorne or is it?

by eviltooth

With those tall ferns and thick foliage, I felt like walking in Jurassic Park while hiking in the state park. Take a very close look at those green things growing on the tree trunks, they look like a miniature jungle! Refreshing air, desperately needed for a city dweller like me.

Let your hair down, and relax...

by Sweetberry1

One of Victoria's best known, and most popular resorts, it offers everything for the holiday-maker. The safe beach is famed for its golden sands and rolling surf. Fishing spots will be found all along the coast; salmon, snapper and garfish are common catches, while whiting, barracuda and trevally can be caught from the pier at Lorne. Trout and bream may be taken from the Erskine and other nearby rivers.
Many short walks through the Lorne-Angahook State Forest offer a pleasant alternative to fishing or swimming.
There are waterfalls, rivers, canyons and picnic areas to be enjoyed. The beautiful Coastline, and the lovely town.

Tourist Information Centre

by Audrey118

For the first thing you get to Lorne, you should visit the very helpful Lorne Visitor Information center which is at 144 Mountjoy Parade.

It is upstairs and there are several ladies who are so pleasant you can spend lots of time there. People come here to make all kinds of enquiry and they are not biased to any commecial information - so you have to read in between the lines - liked how I asked which restaurants to stop over.

They have a sheet map with things to do etc for 50 cents, and they happily give you the list of restaurants you can consider etc.

They helped others to make reservations for hotels etc.

Comments