131 Lonsdale St., Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia

Rated 26% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

More about Grand Chancellor Melbourne

I thought it was OK for the Money

by TripAdvisor Member RobMill

I was concerned after reading the reports of previous visitors, but I had a newly re-furbished room and I thought it was great. Large room big bed, 2 large windows overlooking the Lonsdale Road and excellent decorative order. (I am used to staying at Marriotts). Breakfast service was a bit poor, but considering I only paid the equivalent of £62 for the night I thought it was excellent value.

Pleasantly surprised

by TripAdvisor Member RandAlan

My daughter and I stayed for three nights at this hotel. We had a recently refurbished room on the 17th floor. We had views of the city of Melbourne. On our floor was access to the rooftop pool. This pool was very warm and after each day out we spent a long time in the the water watching the city lights and the moon. The staff were courteous and I was pleasantly surprised by the room, the service, the pleasure of the pool, and the convenient city location. It is probably worth specifying a refurbished room, judging by earlier reviews of this hotel. If you are travelling on a budget with a child, having a heated outdoor pool is a real treat.

Tired...

by TripAdvisor Member justascreenname

I stayed in the hotel for a few nights and was disappointed despite the moderate price. There was no warning on the hotel web site that "Chancellor rooms" are those that haven't been renovated for decades... I had to change rooms a couple of times to find a quiet room. The last one was reasonably quiet but the paint was falling off the bathroom walls and the quilt was falling apart. The size of the "private balcony" is roughly the size of my coffee table; the "view" is not much more than the concrete wall of the neighboring building. The sauna is tiny and located next to a very noisy aircon system.

Disgusting

by TripAdvisor Member cashmagnum

We arrived at about 3.30am and were presented with a room that I can only describe as disgusting. The pattern on the carpet could not be seen for the stains, the ceiling was covered in stains from above, the shower was stained, cobwebs everywhere, the bedside lights (above your head) had at least 6mm of dust on the bulb and frame. The place looked like it was last painted 20 years ago.
Because of the time we sat on the bed till 7.0am, had a shower by putting a towel inside the tray and put our shoes on again before getting out.
We then left and demanded our money back.
Do not stay here.

Not too bad

by TripAdvisor Member mtkitchn

We had trouble finding a hotel in Melbourne prior to our Australia vacation, and ended up settling on the Grand Chancellor. Upon arrival into Melbourne, we told our cabbie where we were going and he started to laugh. When we asked him what was so funny, he commented that the hotel wasn't so "grand" anymore. Needless to say, between that and previously read reviews, we expected the worst.
I have to say that the hotel wasn't as bad as I feared. Our room was "refurbished", but I think that just meant some paint and a couple new lamps. There was a flat screen TV, but it was so small and so far away from the bed that you needed glasses to see it. The bathroom was a bit outdated. Room service was sort of spotty; we never got new glasses when ours were used, and sometimes we got new washcloths and sometimes not. There are no deadbolts on the doors and no safe in the room.
However, the hotel is in a great location and the rooftop pool was very nice. There were free tapas served in the bar area in the evenings, and the front desk staff was very helpful when we were trying to book a wine tour.
I don't think I'd go out of my way to stay here, but it wasn't too bad.

Grand Chancellor Hotel-Melbourne: Horrible Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member VagabondRuralPA

The Grand Chancellor Hotel, Melbourne, Australia was a dump. It was definitely not a four-star hotel. Had to drag our suitcases up several stair steps at the entrance of the hotel, since there was no level area or ramp to accommodate suitcases at the entrance of the hotel.
Hotel had two elevators and only one was working upon arrival. Following check-in, the second elevator became inoperable. Both elevators remained out of order for several hours and only one elevator remained in operation for the remainder of our stay at this dump.
The room provided to us was dirty and noisy, with a lot of yelling and banging on hotel doors from the room next to ours. Requested a change of rooms, only to be inconvenienced by having to wait a few hours for the elevator to be repaired to transfer us to another floor and room.
Hotel was outdated and old. Carpet was dirty, separating, and worn. The walls were chipped and marked up. The wallpaper was loose and dirty. The furniture was outdated and old. The hotel needs a total refurbishment and upgrading.
Complained to our travel agent, Goway Travel, who did nothing to assist or alleviate this terrible hotel booking. Apparently, after Goway has your money, they could care less about you as a customer and your needs when on holiday in a foreign country.
Would never stay at or recommend the Grand Chancellor Hotel in Melbourne again.
Would never recommend or use Goway Travel as a travel agent as well.

Wouldn't go back

by TripAdvisor Member SimoneK

Sure, it was cheap, just over a hundred Australian a night, but it was pretty dirty and shabby. Stained, run-down, not that clean and the room reeked of smoke. The 'balcony' was just a grubby patch of concrete on the roof, facing a wall. The pool is pretty cool though. The room didn't look anything like the pictures of an economy room on the website. Next time I would pay an extra twenty or thirty bucks and stay somewhere else.

Miserable experience

by TripAdvisor Member jj90

My room was apparently "recently refurbished". This seems to mean a lick of paint and very shoddy workmanship throughout, in what was clearly an ordinary old room trying to be something it wasn't. The quality of work was appalling, evidenced most by the terrible tiling and grout-work in the bathroom. I'm not usually fussy about such details, however this really gave the feeling of a slap-up job, rather than a quality fit-out.

The "balcony" (dirty concrete slab that looked out over the dirty back end of the hotel) and glass sliding door offered a total lack of privacy, as there were no net or sheer curtains in my room. I had to shut the black-out curtains just to feel as though I wasn't completely overlooked in my own room.

The only redeeming features I could find were the reasonably central location, wireless broadband (at a cost) and a rooftop pool with a view.

I know this hotel is undergoing renovations, but being woken up at 8am with the sound of power tools outside my room was the final straw. I would never stay here again.

Beware of so called upgrading!

by TripAdvisor Member CallieLondon

We chose this hotel for its central location plus the roof pool and nice looking rooms (Chancellor room shown on advert on the website).

When we arrived no rooms were ready and the only facitities for washing/changing were the roof-top pool area. Though a photo of the pool had featured in the advert plus a mention of the sauna, the pool was OK but the changing "facilities" were on a lower level looking a bit like the back deck of an old merchant steamer, single loo with no lock or paper, no shower, just a small basin, no plug, no soap, no-where to hang anything, all very old and dirty, and the sauna was a smelly hut too disgusting to use.

Having changed, we left bags at reception and went round town till about 3pm, when rooms were to be ready. We were shown to the second to top floor, to an "executive room" - a symphony in brown, which had an ordinary sized double bed, old fashioned chipped chest of drawers with dirty drawer liners hiding dirtier drawers, small bathroom and tiny balcony just big enough to house the broken plastic chair on it. My partner was so tired after the long flights from UK that he just crashed, and though I questioned the room he maintained that he had booked and paid for a "Chancellor room", so I assumed that the advert had just been misleading.

The next morning we met a chambermaid and asked her if all the rooms were as small as ours, and explained we had booked a Chancellor room. She showed us the other rooms on our floor , some the same, some bigger, but she said the Chancellor rooms were on the lower levels, up to floor 6, and showed us two of them, both bigger, with kingsize beds, bigger bathrooms, better decor and bigger balconies. When we complained to the reception staff about what had happened how we'd been given a horrible small room instead of the Chnacellor room we had booked (which was just like the advert) we were told our room was an upgrade. Even after protracted discussion, the staff still insisted we had been upgraded,and would not budge from this interpretation even though they agreed that they themselves would have chosen a Chancellor room in preference.
They refused to refund us the difference between the cost of Chancellor room and that of the standard room (which is what the "executive" room really was). We only stayed one night.
So beware.
If you choose this hotel do not accept a room above the 6th floor without viewing first and comparing - this upgrade story is rubbish.

On a positive note, the buffet breakfast was very good, and they readily brought me green tea, which was not among the selection set out, and the breakfast staff were pleasant.

Comments