123 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia

Costs 40% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• happy_journey's Profile Photo

experience the best. 5 star

Overview
    The Grand Hyatt Melbourne Hotel is located at the top end of prestigious Collins Street in the heart of Melbourne's central business, shopping, theatre and restaurant district and is within walking distance of many of Melbourne's tourist attractions. Ideal for both business or leisure, our hotel in Melbourne, Australia is just 30 minutes drive from Melbourne Airport.

Grand Hyatt Melbourne Hotel has an established and loyal clientele and is renowned for its luxury and consistent service excellence. Grand Hyatt Melbourne offers 547 spacious guest rooms and suites, all representing the ultimate in hotel luxury.

The hotel accommodation includes 23 Grand Studio rooms, 18 Executive Suites, four Deluxe Suites, three Diplomatic Suites, the Presidential Suite, on the top floor, and Hyatt's Grand Club on the 31st floor.

Sanctuary at City Club is a true urban spa, quietly nestled within City Club, Grand Hyatt Melbourne's comprehensive and exclusive health and fitness centre. A retreat from the hectic pace will have guests depart feeling revitalised, rejuvenated and refreshed. A host of energising and relaxing treatments are available, including a diverse range of massage therapies.

Unique Quality: Room Facilities

* Handicapped Rooms/Facilities
    * Laundry/Valet Services

• lesaandbill's Profile Photo

A Sure Bet

This hotel is a sure bet...it's easy to talk to the CBD and all of the things in the city...and it's one of the nicest hotels in Melbourne. This hotel is especially easy for people who want to drive or need to be picked up by Melbournites. Its located right near the Citylink Highway...and not in the dead centre of the city.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Grand Indeed Says the Master of Understatement

Think my tip title above pretty well sums it up. This is a classy hotel & it was an absolute pleasure to stay here for 2 of my 3 nights in my recent visit to Melbourne.

As I'm a QANTAS Frequent Flyer (not frequent or far enough mind you. lol!) I searched the QANTAS Readyrooms to see what they had in Melbourne & found this one down from a normal rack rate of $350 p/night to a total of $433 in total for my 2 night stay. Mind you, www.wotif.com.au would give you the same rate, but for me this also gave me 1000 bonus Frequent flyer points. Am I glad I did as I really loved this place. Class from top to bottom with everything you'd expect of a 5 star hotel.

Service was impeccable & I will definitely stay here again. I unreservedly recommend it to you.

Unique Quality: After a day tramping the city in dark grey, damp & cold conditions nothing could have been better afterwards than what I did. That is, come back to the Hotel then head down to the heated indoor pool for a swim followed by a relaxing hot spa/jacuzzi. Just the remedy for that combination of winter chills & tired muscles.

It also has an excllent Gym/Fitness Centre that I did not take advantage of on this stay.

It's in a geat location only a couple of blocks up from Federation Square, within an easy walk of the Arts Centre (including the NGV my fave) & Southbank with all it's attractions.

Check their website for numbers of rooms & all the other info. You can book directly with them.

Directions: It's main entrance is actually in Russell Street & you'll see in the photo the older grey building is actually on the corner while you can access the hotel from either entrance. It's just a couple of block down to Federation Square & Flinders St.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

CBD's Golden Hotel

Well, I have to admit, this hotel holds a special place in my heart. Since the company was moving us down, and our stuff was not due to arrive for 12 weeks, we were put up in the Grand Hyatt for 28 days!

You can imagine my joy as we had clean sheets and bathrobes for 4 weeks!

This hotel is located in the heart of Collins Street, which puts you close to Chinatown, the Melbourne Museum, and the rest of downtown.

There are plenty of great things about this hotel, but it is really expensive for the normal traveler.

One tip I can give you is to call directly, and ask for the "IBM" rate. No proof is needed, and it gets you 150AUD a night :)

• saraheg77's Profile Photo

A nice intro to Melbourne!

My husband & I got the pleasure of accommodation here at the Hyatt, as we first moved to Melbourne. It was a great location to first learn the city. You could walk to lots of places or hop on a tram for a short ride to almost anywhere. The bed was nice except the pillows were a little too squishy for me. The bathroom and tub were quite luxurious. However, the internet access wasn't included in the price of the room and was very expensive to access in your room. The pool at the fitness center was included in regular room rate, but not the gym.

Unique Quality: The best value at the Hyatt, was the per day upgrade to get access to the Executive Lounge. For $20/day you got access to the gym and the lounge upstairs, where you could check out DVDs, have unlimited internet access (through a wireless card on your laptop or at their 2 internet PCs). And there was a nice breakfast in the morning with eggs, bacon, several cereals and juices and croissants and lots of breads. Also, throughout the day there were some muffins, fruit, and orange juice... then at 3pm there were scones and sweets... then at 6pm-8pm there were appetizers, wine, beer & soft drinks. You could definitely get your money's worth!

Directions: In the heart of downtown Melbourne, a short walk from Federation Square

• Great hotel for a treat

Decided to treat ourselves for my birthday weekend of June 7th -9th 2003. Enter hotel from Russell Street choice of self park or valet. Escaltors up to first floor lobby (a fountain runs down to the entry level). First floor is two levels high down in a pinkish marble - a bit 80"s but not too dated. On this level is the Plane Tree cafe/ restaurant, and a bar. Hotel is 33 levels high with Club floors on the top 4 levels (Club lounge level 31) Club rooms are the same high standard of all Grand Hyatt rooms with the addition of DVD players and large 68 cm televisions (cable tv with approx 10 channels including Fox Sport 1 & 2 , ESPN and Fox Footy, CNN and Fox 8 and History channel. All are the most recently renovated rooms and access to these specific floors are via keycard in the lift for extra security. Views are of either the central city or across the Yarra river to parkland or the MCG (football and cricket stadium) and Flinders Park tennis centre. Bathrooms have separate showers and done in black and white marble. Club lounge (they have DVD's for your room) occupys all one side of level 31 - newly renovated with bay windows, nice leather chairs and lounges and a small "lifelike" open fire. Good continental breakfast (usual), afternoon tea (small cakes, scones and cream) and evening cocktails and nibbles (great tempura prawns) and pour yourself spirits, several brands of local and oversea's beer, wines and a wide range of soft drinks. Being a holiday weekend it was full and a great atmosphere ensured. Special mention must go to the Club Room host - Jenni who in all my years of travel is one of the best hotel staff members I have come across - nothing was too much trouble. For a first time stay at a Grand Hyatt - both the room and service from all the clubroom staff have converted me to a new "treat location"

Directions: Near Parliament House.

• rozehill's Profile Photo

Luxury at a cost

Grand Hyatt Melbourne is located in the heart of Melbourne's central business, theatre and shopping districts. Conveniently close to arts, parks, entertainment, casino and convention facilities.
    There are 547 guest rooms, including 23 Studios, 18 Executive Suites, four Deluxe Suites, three Diplomatic Suites and the Presidential Suite. All guests staying in our suites receive full access to Regency Club located on the top floors of the hotel.

Unique Quality: Gymnasium
    Aerobic studio
    Spinning classes
    Tennis court and half courts
    Steam room and sauna
    Solariums
    Massage and physiotherapy treatments
    Swimming pool and spa
    Nutritionist
    Unlimited use of the swimming pool, spa, steam room and sauna for house guests

Directions: Fairly centrally located

• Audrey118's Profile Photo

Grand Hyatt on Collins

Unique Quality: great location to major sites, and shopping.

The hotel rate which was about AUD 280 per night came with buffet breakfast,
    which was rather standard. There was plenty of strawberry, peaches and plums to offer,
    and lots of sauteed mushrooms which are my favourite.
    It was next to my best friend's office - so the location is ideal to catch up for lunch etc.

More about Grand Hyatt Melbourne

Very disappointing

by TripAdvisor Member MilesDependent

I have spent weeks on end at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne for work. I know the hotel very very well.

There is unfortunately very few positive things I can say about the hotel. It was built in the 1980s and was once THE place to stay in the city. Recently, there have been a swag of new hotels opening up, and the Grand Hyatt has just fallen by the way side. It cannot compete with hotels such as the Westin, Langham, Park Hyatt or even the Sofitel a few blocks away.

The biggest problem is the service. With a few definite exceptions, the staff just do not care about the guests. This goes from reception to the concierge to the bell desk. One of my most vivid memories is standing at the concierge counter wanting directions to a nearby restaurant. The concierge was sending a text message. He looked up at me, and then went on with his text message for the next 45 seconds or so, and only then did he ask what I needed. That is just one of many examples of the staff attitude in this place.

The other problem is the rooms which are very dated. I first stayed in the Grand Hyatt back in about 1990, and it was very 'swank'. With the exception of some minor updates, the rooms appear to be largely unchanged some 17 years later.

I often stay on the club floor which provides access to the lounge. The breakfast served in the lounge is absolutely pathetic. I used it for a while, but now I just head to one of the nearby cafes to pick something up. Again, the staff on the club floor are just unprofessional.

I have to stay at the Grand Hyatt Melbourne for work. If I could stay somewhere else, I definitely would!! One of the most consistently poor chain hotels I have stayed at.

Great Location - pity about the service

by TripAdvisor Member Dragonfield

First impressions are all important. At thhe Grand Hyatt there was no friendly welcome - no offer to help with luggage. Just a bellboy pointing to the escalator! When we declined to lug our cases up there and requested a lift - again just more pointing!!
Five star hotel - minus five for service.

On booking in we were told we were booking in on the wrong date - in spite of having contacted the hotel the day before to check our booking and advise what time we would be arriving.
Desk clerk never uttered a word of greeting - just continued to look at the computer screen and made it feel as if we were a real imposition for wanting to stay! Eventually we were allocated a room but had had plenty of time to check out the inadequate extraction from the restaurant on the same level as the lobby. Second hand fish aroma is not that pleasant!

The location is superb, the rooms are adequate and the service in the bar saved the holiday. Two of the most pleasant waiters you could ever meet who were happy to share their knowledge of Melbourne with us. Thank goodness for them.

Would we stay here again - NO! Found there was other accommodation in the same location where the welcome was friendly and amenities just as good.

Budger accommodation near Grand Hyatt Melbourne -Collins street

by Flowerfountain

I am travelling to Melbourne for a conference at the Grand Hyatt in Collins street during September. Any recommendations for places near the venue- to safve on transport cots? I prefer backpackers, because it is more lively than hotels (and my South African budget won't allow anything grand.... even budget would be a tight call for me). My wish list would be an artistic, bohemian earthy type of place. I don’t like glitter and posh. Then also if the place have single rooms- since I plan to stay for three weeks (have to do some research for work purposes). Doesn’t matter if the room is small .

Thanks!

Flowerfountain

by sandykaye

We love the Hotel Crossley - in Little Bourke St right in the heart of Chinatown.
It's only a few minutes walk to the Hyatt and the rates are way better! It's very casual and very friendly. I would highly recommend it to all travellers coming to Melbourne.

by gezbelle

hi,
there are a few backpackers in the cbd area that is easy walking distance or a short tram ride to the grand hyatt.

here are some links for you to look at:

by Flowerfountain

Thanks! I browsed the websites and some of the places really looks great. I especially liked the Exford hotel with all the music gigs

by sirgaw

Try http://www.flindersbackpackers.com.au/ - probably the closest to the Grand Hyatt at just over a block walk. Its across the road from the main suburban train station and also beside the 2 busiest tram roads.

Comments