2 Convention Centre Place, South Wharf, Melbourne, 3006, Australia
Travelocity Booking.com Priceline.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

More about Hilton Melbourne South Wharf

This should have been a five star review

by TripAdvisor Member Fiona610

We stayed here over the June long weekend in a 2 bedroom 'apartment'. From the beginning, the description 'apartment' is a bit of a misnomer. 'Suite' would have been a more apt description. Despite advertising a full-sized fridge, we only had a mini bar. There is no cook top to cook your own dinner (as the advertising suggests), so you would be a little limited with your cooking options with only a microwave oven - if, of course, you wanted to do your own cooking. TV reception is woeful.

That said, the hotel is brand new, so all of the furnishings are clean, the towels fluffy and the beds are extremely comfortable. Housekeeping however, is ad-hoc. We requested a King and two singles, but were provided with two Kings instead. Our room was only given the bare tidy-up during our two night stay - i.e. the beds were made and clean towels were provided. The three rubbish bins were not emptied and the tea towel we had left on the kitchenette bench was exactly as was when we returned. No clean/dry replacement. This, for $570 per night!

In terms of the location, it is only a five minute walk to the Casino and Southbank precinct with plenty of choices for entertainment and food/bars. The hotel is also located right next to the Convention Centre. It should be noted that the entrance to the hotel is not particularly clear with numerous construction projects happening at the moment and roads blocked off. There is no undercover/secure parking either. We had to park at the South Wharf car park (self park is $20/day, Valet is $35) which is not operated by Hilton and is about a 100m walk from the hotel.

Breakfast offered numerous choices to suit all tastes, however, Sunday morning was chaotic with a large queue forming to be seated. By the time we had finished eating, the queue was even longer. We waited 35 minutes for a pot of tea and a hot chocolate. It took a second request for the beverages to appear. There were no serviettes on the tables, so when a staff member left a pile of freshly laundered serviettes on a table, there was a scramble to get one. Monday morning was far more civilised and organised. The tables were set properly and beverages were not so elusive! We were unable to get a table for dinner on Sunday night, so we can't comment on the quality of the food. The tapas restaurant/bar seemed to be popular.

In summing up, I have to say I was a little disappointed with our stay - I held high hopes for this hotel. Perhaps its because its new and staff and management are still ironing out the kinks. I hope so - Hilton South Wharf has the potential to be an excellent hotel - just not at the moment.

Bring your GPS...

by TripAdvisor Member CripTic

The hotel is a little hard to find. I had to drive through a construction site and they wasn't any signs prior to the junction I had to make a left turn into. However, given time I think this should improve with the construction of adjacent building complete. There was nothing in the immediate vicinity of the hotel except the convention centre though Southbank and the Crown Casino is within a short 10 minute walk away. The walk is extremely pleasant as it is along the wide promenade by the river. Room wise, it was well appointed and comfortable. We were given a room overlooking the river and the view was great. The executive lounge is also well appointed and spacious with a large number of sofas. Staff were helpful and ever ready to lend a hand. We stayed there for only 1 night on the tail-end of our trip prior to heading home. It would however be the hotel of our choice the next time we are back in Melbourne.

Good new hotel - needs character - great staff

by TripAdvisor Member SydneyAlan

We stayed in a relaxation suite for three nights which included access to the club floor. Overall a very good experience. The hotel is obviously very new, the interior design is not normal Hilton bland. Lots of wood adds warmth and an almost ski lodge twist to things which is actually works even if it sounds and looks slightly odd.

The foyer is huge as are the bars/restaurants on the ground floor. All very nice but lacking a "vibe". It could be a W hotel if it had more sole. Music perhaps would help as would less structured furnishings.

The club floor is very nice if rather like an up market qantas club. Its really very nice but somehow lacking in atmosphere making it a place to go, eat/drink and leave rather than hang out in.

Food in the club for breakfast was average, canapes in the evenings were above average.

Service was very good for an Australian hotel. The staff are very well trained, very eager to please and very professional. Most impressive.

We had a Relaxation Suite which was a really lovely room, very, very well equipped, very comfortable. Couple of minor new hotel maintenance issues (e.g. electronic blinds that did not close completely). Great bathroom, great lounge etc.

A very nice hotel and worth a return visit.

Excellent hotel and staff - potential to be outstanding

by TripAdvisor Member nichetraveller

New hotel in good location. Open and airy with extensive use of wood in pulbic reception areas makes for a warm and relaxing feel. Tapas in the bar highly recommended. Great rooms with further use of natural wood to give a very different feel.

Staff really superb in every area. Hard to find fault - one of the best Hilton's I have stayed in and certainly the best in Aus. Highly recommended.

Nice new Hilton in the middle of a construction site

by TripAdvisor Member Matt873

This is a swank, new Hilton with 5 star rooms and facilities. Rooms and bathrooms are nicely done and, having only about 14 or 15 floors, the hotel is like an upmarket boutique hotel without all of the usual impersonality of standard 5 star hotels.

The location is good - just outside the CBD, and walking distance to Crown (5-10 minutes) and to the Spencer Street end of Melbourne (15 minutes). The current issue is that the hotel is surrounded by a construction site and, while not particularly noisy, access to the hotel both by car and on foot is clumsy and ugly. When this construction is finished the hotel will be a much better option for CBD-bound travellers. Being new, taxis do not know the hotel and I had difficulty guiding the taxi to the hotel at night. Again, this should improve over time.

All in, this is a big improvement on the old Melbourne Hilton at the other end of town. I suspect when the construction on the surrounding sites finishes and taxis can find the hotel, it will be much more occupied than when I was there.

Very nice - but I had expected better

by TripAdvisor Member onlysometimes

The Hilton has such a good name for it, that I had expected something fantastic. Thats not to say it wasn't good - we got a great deal, and stayed in a two bedroom apartment (as one reviewer suggests, though, its more like a suite) with a complimentary upgrade to include full use of the executive lounge.

The apartment/suite was very nice, and as we were only staying for one night, it was all we needed. The beds were very comfy, the bathroom was nice and clean, and the living/dining room with kitchenette was well set out and roomy.

Two downsides: one being the location - none of our taxi drivers knew how to get there, and there was nowhere nearby to pop out and get something to eat. The other being the executive lounge. Now, we had it for free, so it was better than nothing, but I wouldn't want to have paid to use it. The cocktails and canapes consisted of no cocktails (there were wines in the fridge that you could pour yourself a class of), and a very poor selection of canapes - samosas and spring rolls, and some sort of seafood thing. The breakfast the next day wasn't much better - even the scrambled eggs weren't warm/refilled/tasty. Bit of a shame for a exec lounge in a fancy hotel!

For the price, you really expect something fabulous. The hotel was very very nice, but perhaps my expectations were too high.

What's everyone on about -this place is great!

by TripAdvisor Member SJMAustralia

Ok, so yes there is some building going on that you have to drive a whole 5 metres through on the road and then you get to the main entry, where your car is taken by the concierge- and the issue is???
We got a fabulous online deal and had been looking at the reviews (but I have come to the realisation that for some people on TripAdvisor- perfection still would not be enough!!)
The interior of the foyer is fabulous, the choice of artworks in the lobby and suites really sophisticated and cutting edge and the service is terrific ( and come on everyone, even the construction workers on the way in were friendly!!!)
You can't fault the views from the rooms and really it is a 10 min walk to Federation square- most other hotels in the CBD are at least that. We didn't have a problem with Taxi drivers finding the place for the two nights we stayed and the breakfast is great.
I thoroughly recommend this place and it is easy to then get onto the expressways for onward travels...and if you don't like it, then more room for us when we go back!!!

Very nice, but not without a few niggles.

by TripAdvisor Member Shred17

The experience overall was great, but there were a few problems that shouldn't really exist for this type of hotel. We were given an upgrade from a "basic" guest room to an executive room upon arrival and the staff were very helpful and courteous. The view of the city from our room was fantastic from and we loved it's styling including the oversized bathroom, wall-to-ceiling window and the motorized shutter that blocks out all light. But the tap in the shower was the wrong way around - you select cold and you get hot. We ordered room service breakfast which never turned up (we eventually called and was rushed to us late) and the car took ages to get from the valet parking. While we were waiting for our car another woman was there who'd been waiting for 30 minutes as the bell staff had lost her keys. When they found them she was walked to her car - they didn't get it for her. Not what you expect when paying for such a service.

As an aside, why are things in hotels so expensive when you're paying a premium to stay there in the first place? Why do you have to pay for the continental part breakfast so that you can get a cooked one (you can't get bacon and eggs without paying for cornflakes)? And why does it cost $10 for 30 minutes of internet when you can get it for free in McDonalds.

Anyway, we had a very enjoyable stay but felt there were a few things that could be improved.

Shiny and new ... but not quite there yet

by TripAdvisor Member Hotel_Reviewer_B

The Hilton at South Wharf is a brand new hotel located along the Yarra River about a 10 minute walk from the Casino and about a 30 minute walk from the CBD. Similar to previous reviews, despite being locals, we found it a bit difficult to find the entrance to the hotel - although the website gives correct directions, you can't help thinking "are you sure? I have to drive through there?"

Once in the hotel, it is hard not to be impressed by the decor and newness. However, before we even got a chance to be impressed by this, we were first unimpressed with the service as we arrived. I dropped my partner off at the front door with her bags, laptop and suitbag (while I went to park the car). Not only did the staff at concierge fail offer to take my wife's bags and help her, they just stood there and watched her carry her three bags into the lobby. One of them did have the decency to say hello to her as she walked past though. Same story for me when I turned up except I did not receive any greeting at all. Nice.

The room itself was fabulous - spacious and clean with a brilliantly comfortable bed. In addition, we loved the electric shutter blinds that blocked out virtually all the light from outside. Our room had a spectacular view of the river and city as well.

The location of the hotel was ok for our purposes - most of our activities planned were in the CBD and Southgate which meant either a manageable walk or hopping on a tram. However, it is to be noted that coming back to the hotel late at night meant walking along the river which, although reasonably lit, is still fairly desolated.

The housekeeping service was very basic, with the bed being made and the towels changed only. Generally we found the staff at the front desk and concierge to be rather reactionary and impersonal. The breakfast staff, however, were pleasant and helpful.

It was also rather disappointing that the hotel did not have an in house spa / massage facility - notwithstanding the offer of in-room massages, this is not always appropriate or convenient if you are sharing a room.

In summing up, the facilities are nice and new (although there is no pool!), the location is reasonable for leisure travellers (a little bit of a hike from the CBD), and the service could be improved, especially at the front of house. This is not something we would
expect from a brand new 5 star hotel and it is not doing anything to help revive the brand. At this point in time, we probably wouldn't stay there again.

The rockstar treatment - Melbournes' best hotel

by TripAdvisor Member KiwiHammer

Superb accommodations - time and effort spent putting it together really show through. Quality fittings and furnishings throughout - the timber details really set the place off a treat.

The Hilton staff are fantastic - friendly, professional and dedicated to exemplary customer service - you will not find better [though you will have the same experience at any Hilton Hotel!]

We will be back to Melbourne and back to the South Wharf.

Hangman's CellHangman's Cell

Seal RocksSeal Rocks

FootyMatch@TheMCGFootyMatch@TheMCG

77EsTeler77EsTeler

Lugguage Allowance on Low Budget Airlines AirAsiaX and Tiger Airways?

by inselkind

Hi there,
I'm planning to go to Australia next April and checking out flights from London to either Melbourne or Sydney.I got already great advise in the forum to catch a "regular" flight and then to carry on with a Low Budget Airline. That would be great as I could save quite a bit of money (and spend it on going out in Australia, smile...). The suggestion was to take either AirAsiaX from KL to Melbourne or Tiger Airways from Singapor to Melbourne which sounds like a good option. I'm just a bit worried about the Lugguage Allowance as they are Low Budget Airlines and they are usually not very generous (I'm going to Australia for a few weeks). Does anybody has experience with those Airlines and maybe knows how many kg are allowed without paying extra? I also heard AirAsiaX reduced their allowance. Off course I will check out their webside, but just would be very greatful for any advise!Thanks a lot!

by Kakapo2

Bookmark

I just bookmark this question because it is very interesting, as Pacific Blue now has also started to charge for every bag you check in. I have not used the airlines you mentioned but the asiax airline page clearly states that you pay for every bag you check in as well. The base fee applies to luggage up to 15 kg, and then you pay higher rates for every additional 5 kg.

Also check fuel surcharges and other fees before you book or you could encounter a nasty surprise.

by cochinjew

Recently I flew Qantas to Oz and took DRW to SIN on Tiger airways, i really wished i had not taken it, since it cost me a fair bit on excess luggage, they allow only few kg and if you are coming on an international flight and you have 30 kg with you, you pay out a lot, per kg.. it was more than 10 usd per kg if i remember correctly. MH has good fares to Australia so you can look at it. Budget airlines are no longer budget..
I am finished flying them with the exception of Air Asia for short routes within Asia. My next trip KL to Mel is on MH, Mel to Lax on QF..

if you dont have much luggage there is another way to save money
instead of buying jetstar from singapore to melbourne or sydney, you could buy tiger to darwin and then take any of the domestic airlines. the earlier you book the better the deal..

by betska

I'd like to bookmark this as well.
I was thinking of using Airasia to get to Laos next year. Was interested in their safety record, ease of booking, as well as luggage allowance etc.

by stevemt

Many low cost airlines are now charging for all checked luggage. It also seems much cheaper if you arange you checked luggage at booking time. EG with some airlines now, aranging your check baggage at time of booking is 1/2 the cost of fronting up with it at the airport. - CHECK EACH INDIVIDUAL CARRIER VERY CLOSELY. Many airlines also have cheaper fares if you are traveling with carry on only. Some say that this is so that they can estimate more closely the amt of extra freight they can carry, but you have to wonder.

by inselkind2

Thanks to all of you.

Sorry, I might sound stupid, Cochinjew, but what does MH stand for (which Airline is that)?

by cochinjew

sorry i didnt make it clear MH is for Malaysian Airlines and in their ads they say MH stands for Malaysian Hospitality. I fly MH and they have been consistently voted one of the best airlines in the world for in flight service.

by inselkind

Thanks, will check MH out

by suzyq40

I Just flew with TIger from melb to Launceston return, and had only carry on which is an allowance of 7kg. On the way back they were going to charge me $25 (for up to 18kg) of excess baggage. Hope that helps

Comments