1 Southgate Ave, Southbank, Melbourne, Victoria, 3006, Australia

Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• happy_journey's Profile Photo

5 star hotel

Unique Quality: Panoramic city views are breathtaking from this ideal location on the famous South bank Promenade. The National Gallery of Victoria, Federation Square, the Arts Center and Casino are on your doorstep. Melba Brasserie serves the best of Melbourne’s world famous cuisine while at the same time offering magical views of the River.

Refined elegance and sumptuous comfort greets guests in each of our 387 guest rooms and suites. Rich fabrics, textiles and colors create a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Stunning marble bathrooms add to the luxurious guest room experience. Your best choice for deluxe quality, downtown Melbourne accommodation

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Luxurious stay.

The Langham Hotel formally known as the Sheraton Towers is situated overlooking the Yarra River at Southgate with stunning views. Close to shops, cafes and restaurants. A easy walk across footbridge to Flinders Street Station and the main CBD. The foyer and reception area on second floor are elegantly furnished creating a impressive entrance.

PROS: Short walk to city and casino. Heaps of cafes, restaurants and bars near by. Luxurious spacious rooms with large marble bathrooms. All modern facilities, mini bar, internet connection, hair-dyer, air-conditioning, laundry service, inhouse movies and room service. Fabulous breakfast and fine dining restaurant.

CONS: Expensive - but who cares !!!

Recommendation: Absolutely.

Directions: Overlooking the Yarra River at Southgate, two minutes to the Casino and five minute walk across the foot bridge to Flinders Station and Federation Square.

• GlobalMatt's Profile Photo

5 star accommodations

The Langham Hotel is situated in the heart of downtown Melbourne, located along the Yarra River. It is a luxury property offering a wide array of services and amenities. It is an ideal base for your access to all the major attractions of Melbourne. I highly recommend a stay here if you have the means.

Unique Quality: The views here are phenomenal...but, the greatest part was the bed!!!! I slept like a baby...what a fantastic mattress!!

Directions: Downtown Melbourne in the Southbank district along the Yarra River

• KrautGermany's Profile Photo

5 stars at the Yarra River

The name of the hotel is now LANGHAM. It`s right across the Flinders Street Station on the other side of the Yarra. From there you have a fantastic view to the CBD.

It´s a very elegant and luxurious hotel with a pool on its top. The quests are international.

Stayed there for four nights and am enthusiastic about this wonderful hotel, which I can highly recommend.

• dlytle's Profile Photo

The Sheraton is a comfortable and classy hotel

Now this is a luxury hotel. From the moment you enter the premises, and experience the elegance of the grand staircase and its crystal chandelier, the classy and sophisticated surroundings and its attendant staff will captivate you. For Starwood Preferred Guests there are even up-scale procedures to get checked in and oriented to the hotel.

Connected to a shopping mall and dining entertainment area, the Sheraton Towers provides a very convenient and elegant location from which to stage ones activities when staying in Melbourne. I was particularly impressed by the riverside location and the colorful and tasteful lighting used at night to distinctively illuminate the buildings on both sides of the Yarra River. It was truly a beautiful and peaceful setting. And right behind the hotel is one of the footbridges crossing the Yarra River for those wishing to walk into the central business district.

The piano bar provides a very comfortable seating area for casual socialization or for informal, small business meetings. Adjacent to it is a very nice dining room.

My room was exceptionally well appointed. The bed was big and comfortable (although I wish hotels still used sheets and blankets instead of the single multi-layered quilt) and very easy to sleep on. The bathroom featured a garden shower that was an exquisite treat at the end of a long day or the beginning of a new one.

When I return to Melbourne on my next trip, I will look forward to staying in this remarkably comfortable and appealing hotel.

Unique Quality: A great location, good restaurants and a wonderful promenade along the river's edge.

More about Langham Hotel Melbourne

Bad service

by TripAdvisor Member JamieKate

From the prices and standard of the Langham in London I was expecting a pretty decent hotel. The location is good, the lobby is impressive and the rooms are a fair size with great views if you get one facing the city. What really lets it down is the service (first noted when no-one came to help with our cases when we arrived).
They put me in a smoking room when I had requested non-smoking and when I rang reception to tell them I couldn't deal with the smell (think pub at the end of a heavy night) someone came up with an ionizer which required me to leave the room for 30 minutes. Didn't do any good so I rang round down again and got told there were absolutely no non-smoking rooms. In a hotel of 387 rooms on a weekend when nothing in particular was going on I found that hard to believe - I think what they were saying was they didn't have any rooms left in the category I was paying for and they weren't going to even consider upgrading me. I kept plugging away though (despite it being their fault for not listening to my request when I booked) and even kept my calm when a 'guest services' rep. told me I was actually on a non-smoking floor. She did have a bit of trouble explaining the hotel ashtrays and matches in my room and overflowing ashtrays by the lift but still swore blind that I was in a non-smoking room. Eventually they found me a non-smoking room, 10 floors down, by the lift and overlooking a car park as opposed to a city view corner room with sofa area that I was paying for. By that point I was just pleased to be out of the smog and naively thought they would adjust the rate.
Next stop was the swimming pool - fine if there were no more than 2 people in it. Jacuzzi - nice, and overlooking the city. The reception staff were as unhelpful as the reception/guest services people. Stood around waiting for someone to sign me in, had to ask which way the changing rooms were, where the towels were etc. and to top it off when I went to collect my room key (have to give it in if you want a locker) on the way out they had muddled them up and lost it. The solution for this was for me to go up to reception with wet hair and get another one - no suggestion at all that they could call up there first or be at all helpful despite losing it in the first place.
Didn't eat in the restaurant, but did have room service one night, which was not horrendous, but really not great. Fatty meat, no bread or even a glass of water.
Was very happy to be checking out until I got to reception and was told that the rate was the same for my car park view square room as it was for the city view corner room with a lounge bit. When I questioned it I was told that all their rooms are the same size so the rate was the same. After offering to go up to both rooms with Mr 'Guest Service' and show him that that really wasn't true we agreed that I would not be paying the same.
I think what got me about this hotel was that for 5 stars you expect that little bit extra which usually shows itself in the service and care and attention to guests. Maybe having spent a few days in Asia beforehand I had been spoilt, but I still would expect the bare basics to be there and they weren't. It is pretending to be something it really isn't.
For the money there are plenty of other places to stay in Melbourne and I for will be in one of them next time I'm there.

Great choice, great location, great service

by TripAdvisor Member mrwanderlust

Stayed here for four nights while attending the Australian Open. I loved the location, walking distance from Melbourne Park (about 15-20 minutes), where the tennis tournament is held. Lots of restaurants within a 5-10 minute walk. The view from our room overlooked the river and the downtown area. Room service was efficient and the food was good. The breakfast buffet was above average, with lots of food and beverage choices. (The restaurant also has a nice view of the river.) The front desk staff and concierge were very helpful when we needed somehing or when we had a special request.

I would definitely stay here again. Happy traveling.

Enjoyable Stay

by TripAdvisor Member HobartResident

We have stayed at the Langham twice over the last two years and were surprised with the negative comments that have been posted.

We used different services on the two occasions and found the rooms clean, fantastic bedding and given some very smoky conditions due to the bushfires, the aircon worked perfectly when you could hardly see to the other side of the river.

On one occasion breakfast was busy, probably due to a Sunday morning bottleneck. Check-in was efficient, we were offered portering and received newspapers as ordered.

The first room allocated on our first visit smelt of cigars, but we were moved without hesitation. It may be time for this deluxe hotel to move to a total no smoking policy, something that will be enforced in food areas due to legislation

hot baby

by TripAdvisor Member puntrd

We paid $265 for a room that included a free buffet breakfast for two, complimentary valet parking and a free cocktail at the bar so I can't complain. This hotel was very nice. The room was reasonably large and the bathroom was excellent and spacious. Service was good and check-in and check-out went smoothly. The only gripe I had was the the air-con only had low, medium and high fan speeds and thermostat control. In other words, you set the fan speed but had no other say in how cool or warm you wanted your room. That was fine during the afternoon as the air-con worked quite well, but at night, it seemed like the air-con system was shut down. Even though it was a cool night outside (early Dec), the room was uncomfortably hot for sleeping, which from a 5-star hotel, I would've expected better. the buffet breakfast has to be tried to believed. Magnificent. I rolled down the steps.

Comments