Mercure Hotel Welcome

Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

Comfort and Convenience....

This was my second stay at the Mercure Welcome and I will certainly stay there yet again on my next trip. The location is beyond compare. The hotel fronts both Little Bourke Street and Swanston Street and is surrounded by some of the best shopping areas in Melbourne. Rooms are clean , roomy and very comfortable. Air conditioned, mini bar, iron and board, coffee and tea making facilities, hair dryer.

Unique Quality: Valet parking is available at $35.00 per day or self parking at $15 per day is available at a carpark nearby. There is a great bar which is open till late and perfect fo a nightcap. There is also a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. An Internet Lounge is available on the ground floor. Cost is $2 per half hour.
    Room rates vary from time to time and there are often weekend specials available. Rooms are the same price for one or two people.

Directions: Entrance is directly oppsite David Jones.

• alisonr's Profile Photo

Welcome to Melbourne

Great location in Little Bourke, just across the road from Chinatown, shopping, tram stop and walking distance to train stations.

Unique Quality: We were there for only one night during Spring Racing Carnival in 2004, so we didn't get to see any pools or restaurants at the hotel, the view from our 13th floor was good.

Directions: Make sure you use the hotel's full name and tell your taxi driver it is in Little Bourke, or you will get dropped around the corner at the other Mercure.

More about Mercure Hotel Welcome

Dreary Decor

by TripAdvisor Member kardon

This is not 4star standard. The decor is old and tired, we were put in a room adjacent to the lifts, which means the lift shaft is in the corner of the room and makes the room considerably smaller than standard rooms. I would recommend requesting on booking, a room not beside the lifts. Facilities where fine and location was convenient. I wouldnt stay here again.

YMCA

by TripAdvisor Member derbybrian

We have planned this holiday for the past year, we incorporated Singapore, Cairns, Melbourne then Bali,
Firstly thie weather did not help, as this only hi-lighted the terrible hotel we had to encounter,
It was the most depressing place i have ever had to lay my head, we felt like we were in a youth hostel or a YMCA, The rooms were so dowdy, We could sit on our toliet and watch the television from the loo, the bath would not even fit a small child into it, There were only two lifts for the whole of our hotel, There was not an option of the use of any stairs. so some days we were waiting for 20 mins to get out into the fresh air, We will admit that the location was good but that does not improve the hotel, and it was not cheap, We had a friend staying in a Rydges hotel in Melbourne and that was cheaper than what we payed,
One day we had to get out of the rain so thought that the hotel bar would be ok, how wrong were we, It was like an opium den, And there had not heard of the word a smoke free zone..
We even when to Mount Eliza to see some friends for the might as i was so upset with having to stay at he youth hostel any longer. This hotel has left a very bitter taste in our mouths and we will NEVER use a mercure hotel again, SO BE WARNED....

Smelled like very old, wet socks

by TripAdvisor Member MGSydney

For me, the experience of staying at this hotel was severely spoiled by one thing - the room smelled very bad. It was a pervasive smell of dampness and mould. The odour hit me as soon as I opened the door! I have stayed in cheap backpackers' hostels and expensive hotels, but have never encountered such a strong smell of this nature. I am not exaggerating that it was so powerful and pervasive that when I left, my suitcase and clothes (even those which I had not unpacked but were in the bottom of the suitcase) carried that smell! I had to wash everything when I left, just to get rid of the smell.
It did not help that the windows were not able to open, and the air conditioning switched off when the room key was removed from the slot. Therefore there was no ventilation at all when the room was unoccupied.
I didn't even think of complaining (I'm not usually the complaining type) or asking for another room, but I really should have. It really affected what was otherwise a good holiday in Melbourne. I suppose the bright side was that it made me go out as much as possible, to spend as little time as possible in there.
The hotel does have some advantages - the location is good, and the staff were fine. The plumbing, as mentioned in other reviews, is a bit noisy but I didn't find it excessive. But the unpleasant smell was what ruined the whole experience.

Great location and value

by TripAdvisor Member Mykonosboy

I spent a grand total of 6 nights at mercure welcome hotel in melbourne in early jan. Situated between little bourke street and swanston street, this is a delightful little hotel located close to the shopping street (bourke street) and chinatown (just opposite). The rooms are clean and relatively spacious (I took a double room on level 9). There wasn't a bell-hop to help me with our luggage but that is perfectly fine with me as I did not have a problem with the lifts. The reception staff were friendly and warm.

There is wireless broadband access in my room and also an electric kettle to boil water with. Complimentary cookies, tea and coffee bags was abundant and refilled daily. I don't think there're additional facilities like a pool in this hotel but nonethless, given the price I paid (A$105 per night), it was excellent value. Oh yes, there is also a tabaret on the ground floor, if you like jackpots and find it hard to sleep at night.

I did not try the breakfast as there're plenty of eateries around the hotel (some of which open at 7 and most close at 9). Macdonald's is just a couple of blocks down and it operates 24hrs. Melbourne Central (where there is a cinema) is also about 200m down the street. There is also a supermarket in the basement of a shopping centre adjacent to the hotel a couple of blocks down.

Just across the road, you'll find many day tour operators and souvenir shops, making it very convenient if you're taking up the day tours (as the pick up is just outside the hotel). Oh yes, given the competition between these operators, you can actually try asking for a discount off the listed prices in the brochures ( i was offered 15% discount for my tours). This also means that you'll have to go and sign up in person rather than through the concierge.

Overall, I would strongly recommend this hotel for budget travellers who're looking for hotel that is conveniently located to food, shopping and tour operators.

Cheers

Great value for money!

by TripAdvisor Member bel_79

After reading the reviews on this site, we were extemely worried about our stay at the Mercure for our honeymoon in October 2006.

We had decided to opt for cheap accommodation so we could spend our money on other things. We booked through the Accor site and got a fantastic rate. The hotel shares the lobby with the Mercure on Swanston and I'd imagine the same staff.

We stayed for a week and couldn't be happier.

Yes there were two lifts only, but this wasn't a problem for us. The staff were helpful and were only too happy to order us champagne and ensure we had everything we needed. We asked housekeeping a few times for extra towels and they obliged.

The bed was HUGE - it was two large king singles pushed together but was extremely comfortable and they didn't come apart.

Our room was really large and spacious, we had fresh supplies every morning of tea bags, biscuits etc and the room was cleaned daily.

The location is FANTASTIC! It is close to the shopping, the tour booking centres and transport.

One downside was the plumbing, although this didn't affect our stay. It wasn't smelly or anything like that, but on most occasions the toilets had to be flushed two or three times. Also, you could hear the water going through the pipes in the room. But as I said, this did not affect our stay adversly at all.

After reading these reviews we were FRANTICALLY ringing Accor trying to get our booking changed to another hotel. Because we got a cheap non-refundable rate they would not move us (Our rate was about $100 a night!)

We were really glad in the end that we couldn't get moved, otherwise we would have spent an extra $40+ a night unnecessarily.

This hotel is excellent value for money, in an excellent location. We will definetly stay there again.

Good Value, Easy, Convenient

by TripAdvisor Member Tripper21

Great Hotel. Good Value. Very convenient location right in the centre of town - perfect for shopping and restaurants. Chinatown across the road, and a 7/11 covcenience store opposite, souveneir shops and classy boutiques and department stores (with incredible food hall) all around.

Rooms average for a 3-star hotel, good size, clean, adequate facilities, daily laundry etc. Good concierge and reception service, as this is shared with Mercure Grand.

Recommended as excellent value city centre hotel.

(One minor niggle, despite coming in from a 24hr flight, I had to wait til 3pm til my room was ready - so hadto keep going for little walks, come back to check ir room ready, cycle repeating til 3pm.)

Never ate in restaurant but had the AU $14 breakfast only one day, seems good value to me, but there is McDonalds about 100yds up the road if yu prefer eating your breakfast from a cardboard box.

Was okay- could have been better

by TripAdvisor Member Jazzamcc

Stayed at the Mercure Welcome over the Easter weekend for one night. Arrived early at 9.30am and asked if I could store my bag. Guy on the front desk was nice and checked me in, but didn't issue me with my room key. Took my mobile number to let me know if the room was going to be ready a little bit earlier.
Stored my bag, and went and explored Melbourne.
Came back to the hotel around 5.30pm and it was pretty busy.
The reception is split for the Grand Mercure and Welcome hotels. There was only one for each though.
Was formally checked in and given my room key. Again was greeted by a nice staff member.
Was given room 1040, which was a Superior Room. I have stayed in a standard room before, and there wasn't much difference in the rooms besides the size. Was worth the extra $20 for the King bed though!! Though the walls are still very thin!!
The room contained a microwave, a fridge, a kitchen sink, desk, largish TV and plenty of storage space.
Checking out was a pain, and probably the only downside.
She quoted me $89 plus a complimentary room upgrade. I told her no, that I had used a pre-paid rate. She told me that my booking hadn't been paid for. I got my reservation out, and handed it to her. She was convinced that it was $89 with a complimentary upgrade. Once I showed her the paperwork she charged me the original booking price.
I asked her why I hadn't been charged for the room at a Pre-Paid rate when I booked, and she told me that they usually have problems with pre-paid bookings.
Always check your credit card statement.
It is a decent hotel in a fantastic location. I'll continue to stay there when the price is right.

Good value

by TripAdvisor Member asaus

Very good value for money for the centre of Melbourne.
Room was on the small side but perfectly comfortable for sleeping. Coffee and tea making facilites where available. Bathroom was clean.

Front desk was helpful with arranging anything I needed.

Highly recomended for short stay

Comments