Oaks On Market

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

More about Oaks On Market

Great choice

by TripAdvisor Member Yodagirl

Stayed here 5 nights in a studio apartment and asked for a room with water views as suggested by another reviewer. Room was great - queen bed, couch, good size kitchenette, big bathroom with bath, nice tv and cd player, spacey....and bloody fantatic view on the yarra and st Kilda and the ocean on level 16.

Hotel was quiet and easy to get around - short walk to Flinders and only 50 meters to tram stop.

Worth checking out the pool in the basement - very modern and snazzy. Spa and sauna and gym all down there as well. Great facilities.

Breakfasts was good (if I was the type of person that liked big breakfasts I may have wanted more range) but they had the middle of the range of everything there and it was open until 10am which was nice when you're not checking out.

Would definitely recommend!

Good accommodation if you are tall

by TripAdvisor Member BarbKs

This is a hotel that has apartments, so there is a mini-kitchen in each room. We had a studio which was very comfortable for 2 people.

The hotel is in more of the finance district than uptown, which means it was very quiet at night. There is a restaurant (small) in the hotel and a very busy bar. The bar makes some excellent cocktails. Around the corner is a great little irish pub for a quick meal.

The hotel could do with small shop in it selling just essentials, I needed a band-aid and it was not easy to get one. There are no newspapers or water available.

The room was very comfortable, with everything we needed. The only problem was the bathroom. I am only 5 feet tall and could not get in or out of the shower (which is over the bath) without help as the bath was so tall. Even my husband had a problem reaching the kitchen cupbords and he is well over 6 foot!

If I had been there on my own having a shower would have been down right dangerous.

The hotel is just across the road from a cab rank and around the corner from the trams, so that was very convenient. Cabs are easy in Melbourne, and not very expensive.

Best Hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Aprilgirl

We just got back from our Oz vacation. This was the best hotel of them all. Like everyone said, it is very well located in the business district. We walked everywhere. We walked down to Flinders to catch the Free on and off tourist bus. We walked over to the casino, and enjoyed the restuarants long the Yarra River. We walked to Elizabeth to the Coles grocery store to get some food. Walked to the Aquarium from the hotel, nice easy walk about 15 minute.

We had a great layout, with the small kitchenette, perfect for what we needed. Views were great, we were up high enough we could see the sailboats. Quiet and comfortable.

Staff was friendly, courteous, and helpful. We asked how to get to St. Kilda, and it was easily explained by staff and they gave us maps, unlike the Oaks Maestri in Sydney, that didn't hand out any information or maps. Our tour busses stopped here, so that made it easy on those early mornings. Tram tickets can be purchased at the 7-11 which is close to the hotel.

We had one meal at the hotel, it was only ok. There are lots of restuarants nearby.

Nice place, but rude front desk staff needs training

by TripAdvisor Member singapore-gal76

Stayed at Oaks on Market studio apartment for one month - nice business hotel, modern furnishing, good location. Things still look new, but there's already wear and tear at the edges, if you look close enough. Time to start maintaining the hotel.

Everything would have been perfect, if not for the experience with the front desk staff.

I specifically requested for higher floors/ room with a view, after reading past Trip Advisors' reviews when I made the booking and when I was checking in. I arrived early, and was told that my room will be on 19th floor (great!), but room was not ready yet. When I came back to check in 2 hrs later, I was allocated room on the 3rd floor. Boy was I disappointed - after all I am going to be here for 4 weeks. The front desk simply explained that as I was a long-stay customer booked at a discount rate, hence the best room in the house for me was 3rd floor. Great "customer service" huh!

After a week in the hotel (where my room was cleaned daily), I noticed that my room wasn't cleaned one day. When I asked the front desk, again the same answer that I was a long-stay customer booked on discount rate, hence I was to expect weekly cleaning. Funny thing was the weeks after that, there were days that my room was cleaned daily and some days not - i think it depended on cleaner's availability.

Front desk staff didn't appear friendly or helpful, and one even yawned out loud, when I was asking her a question. Thankfully, the other staff (house-keeping, etc) were much more pleasant. More training for the front desk people, please.

Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member aus_isis

One of my favourites in Melbourne. Good prices if you book on line with Oaks and the rooms are big, with comfortable beds and modern fittings. The only draw back is parking is across the street. I would recommned it.

Good Value

by TripAdvisor Member david7745

I stayed 2 nights in a Studio Apartment and paid $140 a night through their website. The room was large, bed very,very comfortable, bathroom huge, but the tub was small. There is a small kitchenette with microwave .hotplates, small fridge, electric frypan and lot's of utensils. The location is very convenient, there is a Coles Supermarket 2 blocks back towards Flinders St Station if you need supplies. The staff were very helpful with directions, storing luggage and making enquiries for you. In the basement is a pool, spa and gym. I would not hesitate to stay there again for value for money and cleanliness.

Great for a sight-seeing break in Melbourne

by TripAdvisor Member Brent-London

Good central location for sight-seeing in Melbourne close to CBD. You can easily walk to Southbank and to train stations and tram stops if you want to go further afield. Modern tower block recently renovated (possibly former office block?), my studio room was spotlessly clean and very comfortable with contemporary decor and furnishings and a view across the rooftops to the Yarra river and Southbank. Kitchen utensils and equipment appeared to be brand new. The only slight problem was the siting of the air-con vent directly above the bed - so there was a choice of sleeeping in a cold draft or otherwise a stuffy room (windows don't open). I would happily recomment this property.

Not impressed... they sure don't care about repeat customers at this place!

by TripAdvisor Member TT81

We booked 2 months ahead for a 2 bedroom apartment for dates 30/12/07 - 01/01/08 (2 nights). We said it was for 2 couples to allow us to have preference for 2 double beds - they advised it was part of our booking so we'd get preference. I also called 30 mins before check-in to ensure we would get preference for this type of room and was told we would. We showed up for check-in at 2pm on the dot and were told that the advice on the phone 30mins earlier wasn't correct and that we hadn't been allocated such bedding configurations. When we asked what had happened the front desk attendant & what looked like her supervisor were very unsympathic and almost 'put out' to even look at their screens to see if we could be moved. We were one of the first to check-in but they looked like they couldn't be bothered finding us a room that we had initially requested & told was available for us.

In addition to their sour expressions on the front desk (on check-in at 2pm on 30/12/07), the facilities were less than desired. The indoor pool was never really clean - even at 9am in the morning (it just smelt more of chlorine), the hot breakfast was less than average (especially for an additional $15!), parking was expensive, and there's no late check-out unless you pay an additional $20 for every hour you want to stay past 10am!! Most Melbourne hotels offer late check-out if the room is available but this is the first time I'd been told to pay for it! I was initially told it was going to be $10 per hour but as it was NY's day the price ended up being $20 - a 200% mark up! Ridiculous... apart from the sweet & efficient cleaning lady on floor 20, the rest of our stay was definitely not impressive.

I left this same feedback on the hotel's 'feedback form' & even left my name and contact details at the bottom (as there was no such room on the form) but haven't heard a word from them since - I guess repeat business is not what they care about there... evident by their customer service skills.

I've never experienced this feeling towards any other hotel/apartments I'd ever stayed at. All four of us will never stay here again.

A good location in th eCBD

by TripAdvisor Member JulzE

We booked a two bedroom apartment for a long weekend in Melbourne. The Oaks is well located. We chose it because it has a pool but we didn't use it.
The apartment is comfortable and clean and roomy enough. The bathroom may need a bit of attention. For instance, our towel rail fell off the wall.
The hotel itself does not have any flash inclusions in the way of restaurants and bars, but I rarely eat or drink in the hotel facilities unless its a remote site.
The Oaks is an easy walk to most Melbourne attractions and close to tram routes. The area seemed safe at night.

Not 4 and 1/2 star

by TripAdvisor Member akm193Sydney

I have recently stayed at Oaks on Market for two nights, but the service was quite bad.
When I arrived at the hotel at 2 o'clock (check in time), I was told to wait while they check the room status. I was waiting for half an hour, and have seen many other people have checked in. When I asked the reception staff if I can check in, they finally gave me the key, but no apology.
The room is okay, but the only view I've got is next door building (you can even see people working there).
Next day, we came back the hotel around 3 o'clock, but house keeping hasn't finished (no fresh towels, bed hasn't been made, etc.). I wanted to have a shower before I leave, so I called the reception to get clean towels. The reception staff told me I have to wait until house keeper comes around. I have waited till around 5 o'clock, but house keeper didn't come.
Funny thing is the house keeper came before 10 o'clock on check out day .
There was also a fire alarm testing in the morning which I have never informed beforehand.
Oaks on Market says they're 4 and 1/2 stars, but with this level of service, I don't agree with their star rating.

Reconstruction of prisoner in cellReconstruction of prisoner in cell

In the car park after the penguin paradeIn the car park after the penguin parade

DegravesStreetDegravesStreet

NelayanNelayan

working in melbourne!

by jode1234

hello, my name is Jodie im 19 and planning on going to melbourne, australia for a working holiday. probberly around january 09 for about 6 months maybe more! is it easy to find work in melbourne? as i will be coming over with little money and also does any one know any hostels where i could stay?

i havent got any definate plans yet, if any one is interested in coming along that would be great!!

or if anyone has any advice or tips please get in touch

Jodez1234@hotmail.com

Re: working in melbourne!

by Anne12

Hi Jodie,
Before you start to think about work in Melbourne, you must get a work visa.
This shouldn't be hard to get if you have all the info needed.
You also have mentioned that you have little money, this could be a problem as you will need to prove to the immigration department guys that as well as having a working visa you also have enough money to survive on while looking for work. This is VERY important if you want to stay here.I think someone else coming here to work mentioned that they like at least $2,500/3,000 Aus dollars or even more.
You just have to Google Backpacker places in Melbourne Australia and you will have heaps to go through. Work in Melbourne should be OK to get, as it will be the holilday season. It will also depend on what type of work you can do. Bar work, hospitality work is the kind of work most backpackers get.Most backpackers doing Aussie land follow the high seasons. Once it gets cool in Melbourne they head further north etc.

Check out this site, it has all information you should need.

Comments