Pensione Boutique Hotel - Melbourne

tracyskf's Profile Photo

Pensione Hotel - Great location and good value

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 19, 2010

I was looking for an affordable accommodation within CBD that is close to the public transport network. This hotel is about 5-10 minutes walk to/from the Southern Cross station. There were other hotels in the area too but they are more costly. Hence, I think this is value for money.

Less than 5 min walk to the City Circle Tram stop and about 10 min to Melbourne Acquarium. Slightly further walk to Crown Entertainment Complex but do-able (I think it was about 20 minutes).

We booked a standard room which is not very large but sufficient. The room is clean and with basic facilities. Check in and check out is hassle free. Late check out was granted up to certain timing subject to availability. Anything above the agreed extended time is chargeable by the hour.

Unique Quality: Front desk staffs are very helpful - I got all the help with directions, confirming my day tour reservations, as well as confirming the airport shuttle pick up.

craic's Profile Photo

Handy Hotel

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on September 13, 2009

I wanted to be close to Southern Cross Station to catch an early train and they certainly are very close. A brisk 5 minute walk. The Skybus to the airport goes from Southern Cross too so it is a convenient location. The free City Circle tram goes by a 3 minute walk away.
I booked a Petite Double for $90 on It was very petite indeed and had a lovely view of a brick wall.
However it was very clean and comfortable. And quiet. The staff were amenable and low key.
BUT - like so many hotels they insist on taking $100 off your debit card and then refunding it the next morning if you haven't run amok in the minibar. I hate this new custom. Also they insist on photo id. Driver's license, passport etc.
Also they were very mean with the soap, one tiny bar for two people. And with the tea and coffee fixings. No herb tea.
It's in an older building which has been tastefully renovated so it is quaint, but our corridor was so dimly lit and low ceilinged I thought I was in a wombat burrow.
A rooftop patio for smokers. Lovely view of rooftops.
The window opened in our room. I really like that. I hate windows that won't open. It gives me claustrophobia.
We had late checkout on our deal at midday. That can be handy.
The bathroom was so tiny that you would want to be petite yourself actually.
I would stay here again if I got a good price.

PS There was no extra bedding in the room. What if I had wanted another blanket? I was actually on the verge of being cold but was too tired to do anything about it.

IrishFem's Profile Photo

Awful Hotel

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on April 19, 2009

I booked into Hotel Pensione on Spencer Street for 3 nights, the first night l could not sleep because just below my hotel room was a backpackers pub which did not close till 1am. When l complained they changed my room, why l don't know as it was on the same side and this time l did not get to sleep until 2am. The hotel room you could not swing a cat in, their website said free internet access, but not the case, the site also boasts of internet access in the lobby, no such thing, and as for the restaurant they listed, it's actually around the corner and not in the hotel. It' is probably the worst hotels l have ever stayed in and l could not wait to leave. When l asked to check out an hour later than the alloted 10am time they tried to charge me an extra 10 dollars. I did not pay as l pointed out my room was not cleaned one day, or when l arrived their was no remote control in the room and finally l lost count of the amount of times l could not get into my room as the card did not work. I did not pay the extra charge.

Unique Quality: No qualities at all and false advertising.

Directions: Beside the Southern Cross train station.

pugwashman's Profile Photo

Excellent budget choice

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 28, 2004

Our stay was very nice. Friendly staff, nice clean room and in a very good position for exploring the sights of Melbourne. Breakfast was excellent and there was a very good choice.

Unique Quality: Just a few minutes walk from the Yarra River and just down the street from the coach station. Also has a number of tram stops just round the corner, including the free sightseeing tram.

Nearby Pensione Boutique Hotel - Melbourne

• Fitness Center
  • Business Services
  • Bar / Lounge

Melbourne Travel Forum

Need advice about Melbourne, Australia? Visit the Travel Forum for Melbourne and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Melbourne hotel reviews

Somerset On Elizabeth
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Grand Hyatt Melbourne
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 8 Reviews
Jasper Hotel (Formerly Hotel Y )
Good (3.0 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews