Pensione Boutique Hotel - Melbourne

Booking.com Travelocity Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• tracyskf's Profile Photo

Pensione Hotel - Great location and good value

I was looking for an affordable accommodation within CBD that is close to the public transport network. This hotel is about 5-10 minutes walk to/from the Southern Cross station. There were other hotels in the area too but they are more costly. Hence, I think this is value for money.

Less than 5 min walk to the City Circle Tram stop and about 10 min to Melbourne Acquarium. Slightly further walk to Crown Entertainment Complex but do-able (I think it was about 20 minutes).

We booked a standard room which is not very large but sufficient. The room is clean and with basic facilities. Check in and check out is hassle free. Late check out was granted up to certain timing subject to availability. Anything above the agreed extended time is chargeable by the hour.

Unique Quality: Front desk staffs are very helpful - I got all the help with directions, confirming my day tour reservations, as well as confirming the airport shuttle pick up.

Directions: http://www.pensione.com.au/pensione/pensione-melbourne/hotel-location.html

• craic's Profile Photo

Handy Hotel

I wanted to be close to Southern Cross Station to catch an early train and they certainly are very close. A brisk 5 minute walk. The Skybus to the airport goes from Southern Cross too so it is a convenient location. The free City Circle tram goes by a 3 minute walk away.
    I booked a Petite Double for $90 on wotif.com. It was very petite indeed and had a lovely view of a brick wall.
    However it was very clean and comfortable. And quiet. The staff were amenable and low key.
    BUT - like so many hotels they insist on taking $100 off your debit card and then refunding it the next morning if you haven't run amok in the minibar. I hate this new custom. Also they insist on photo id. Driver's license, passport etc.
    Also they were very mean with the soap, one tiny bar for two people. And with the tea and coffee fixings. No herb tea.
    It's in an older building which has been tastefully renovated so it is quaint, but our corridor was so dimly lit and low ceilinged I thought I was in a wombat burrow.
    A rooftop patio for smokers. Lovely view of rooftops.
    The window opened in our room. I really like that. I hate windows that won't open. It gives me claustrophobia.
    We had late checkout on our deal at midday. That can be handy.
    The bathroom was so tiny that you would want to be petite yourself actually.
    I would stay here again if I got a good price.

PS There was no extra bedding in the room. What if I had wanted another blanket? I was actually on the verge of being cold but was too tired to do anything about it.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Awful Hotel

I booked into Hotel Pensione on Spencer Street for 3 nights, the first night l could not sleep because just below my hotel room was a backpackers pub which did not close till 1am. When l complained they changed my room, why l don't know as it was on the same side and this time l did not get to sleep until 2am. The hotel room you could not swing a cat in, their website said free internet access, but not the case, the site also boasts of internet access in the lobby, no such thing, and as for the restaurant they listed, it's actually around the corner and not in the hotel. It' is probably the worst hotels l have ever stayed in and l could not wait to leave. When l asked to check out an hour later than the alloted 10am time they tried to charge me an extra 10 dollars. I did not pay as l pointed out my room was not cleaned one day, or when l arrived their was no remote control in the room and finally l lost count of the amount of times l could not get into my room as the card did not work. I did not pay the extra charge.

Unique Quality: No qualities at all and false advertising.

Directions: Beside the Southern Cross train station.

• pugwashman's Profile Photo

Excellent budget choice

Our stay was very nice. Friendly staff, nice clean room and in a very good position for exploring the sights of Melbourne. Breakfast was excellent and there was a very good choice.

Unique Quality: Just a few minutes walk from the Yarra River and just down the street from the coach station. Also has a number of tram stops just round the corner, including the free sightseeing tram.

More about Pensione Boutique Hotel - Melbourne

Perfect for the single traveller

by TripAdvisor Member AnnPen

My small single room with spacious ensuite, was spotlessly clean, modern and entirely satisfied my needs for two nights. Despite being located close to an extremely noisy road junction in the city, I found my room out the back and surprisingly quiet.

The staff were polite and efficient, and readily gave me a pen when I asked for one. This was the only item I needed which I didn't find in the room. I was very happy to have the use of a fridge without the usual (unwanted) minibar collection.

I would definitely stay here again if the city was my destination. The hotel lives up to its own description as catering to "the budget conscious leisure traveller". It's wonderful value for money - I would expect, and have paid, a lot more for similar quality in other cities.

Small and noisy.

by TripAdvisor Member quininaus

This hotel is small and cute, and looks just like the pictures but...I stayed here with my partner Thurs-Sun night. The hotel was full and the big problem was the amount of noise we could hear from other rooms. The walls are very very thin!! Our room was facing onto the light well, and it seemed we could hear everyone else facing it too.
The shower had no door on it so the tiny bathroom gets covered in water. The staff seemed poorly trained in customer service also.

Nice, but noisy!

by TripAdvisor Member nw82

Stayed one night in a petite double room. The room was very nice and very clean. Despite being a 'petite', the room size was actually quite good and the room had everything you need (although I was travelling alone and two people may want more space).

The service was friendly. Unfortunately the heating in my room wouldn't work, however the staff were obliging with an extra blanket.

The downside: it was noisy. There was a lot of noise from downstairs in the bar which was very clearly heard from the second story room. There was also a lot of noise from slamming doors. The worst was the very vocal noise from the room next door around midnight.

The hotel itself is great, but it would pay to remember that whilst it is a bargain you also get the type of crowd that like a bargain!

Great little Hotel - Style on a budget

by TripAdvisor Member ToddBallina_NSW

As our flight didnt arrive in till 11.00pm - We needed a cheap room for our first night in Melbourne. We had previously stayed at the Formule1 at the Airport but were not that impressed. Found the Pensione in the City (which is where we wanted to end up anyway) for the same price $89.00 per night.

As we were travelling with a friend - we needed a second room. To our surprise - when we checked in - they upgraded one of our rooms to a larger suite........ gotta love that

Only point though is - if you are used to sleeping in a queen bed - the beds in our standard room was a double - which can make it a little uncomfortable. I'd say they do have queen rooms avail though if you enquired.

If you are driving - before you check into the hotel - park in "Flinders Lane" near the hotel - as this is near the carpark where you will be directed to - Pensione has subsidised parking in the parking station there.

Beautiful rooms (small - but this is what we expected). The bathrooms are also really nice - however the design of them would not suit larger people as they are very very compact.

If you are looking for a hair dryer - its up high in the cupbaord (out of sight)

We could hear the lift buttons beeping through the night - so if this would worry you - ask for a room well away from the lifts.

All in All - we will def. stay here again - these must be the best value rooms in Melbourne - Brand new and very contemporary.
A great little find.

Other hotels take note - Pensione will always get our business where possible. Value for money here.

Quaint Boutique Hotel Centrally Located Offering Excellent Value

by TripAdvisor Member Perficio

It sure isn't easy finding a low-priced centrally located hotel in a city like Melbourne, but surprisingly, Pensione Melbourne managed to stand out in this category and shines like a star to the average tourist.

Located just about 10 minutes walk from the Southern Cross Station, the hotel is a relatively easy walk from the Sky Bus Terminal.

The hotel is still rather new, and while the rooms are small in size, they are functional and adequately furnished. We were grateful that we were given a free upgrade to a Double Room from a Petit Double, and our room faced the inner courtyard, so we did not find noise a problem.

The hotel is located besides a backpackers hostel, but we did not find any problems with the crowd, even when returning late at night. The City Circle Tram Stations is just round the corner from the hotel, and Crown Casino is a mere 5 minutes walk away across the bridge.

You could also easily walk along the main street to Flinders Station (about 20 minutes away), and Docklands and the Telstra Dome is a simple tram ride away, even though you could also walk there for a nice dinner.

The staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful, and though we arrived early and they had no rooms available, we managed to store our luggage with them in a storeroom and took their suggestion to visit the DFO Outlets next to Southern Cross Station.

If space is not an issue, this hotel is highly recommended for its location, service and value-for-money. Will most likely return to Pensione Melbourne again for a pleasant stay.

Cute little but comfy hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Funny_candice

The Pensione hotel is a very nice hotel and great value for money. The room might be a little bit small but very good price and good location. Weekend is around AUD 100 but during the weekdays, you can get as low as AUD 80. To get a good price, go directly to their website.

In front of the hotel, there is a tram stop and within a few minutes walking distance, you have the train station, the Southern Cross Station. I think you can also book a serviced appartment with a very good price if you are traveling as a group or family.

The hotel is closed to the Crown Plaza, a casino, where you can stroll at night there by the river side.

The minor issues were that the pillows were not that comfy because they were too high for me. Hurt my neck. And the other one is the shower and the sink.There is no shower curtain so it's kinda annoying when you shower. Water everywhere. The sink was small, so when you brush your teeth, the water and everything will splatter everywhere.

Overall, it is a good hotel.

Comments