Punt Hill South Yarra

Stopover in CowesStopover in Cowes

koalakoala

Beach and city stay

by tbnyc

We will be in Melbourne from Dec 17 to the 23rd. We would like to stay on the beach for 3 or 4 days and the rest in the heart of the city. I would like to get some recommendations about where to stay RIGHT ON THE BEACH. Looking for 3-4 star accommodations and nice and quite NO kids. The more info and tips provided the better. Thanks a lot in advance

Todd

by fossettes

Just to clarify - when you say in Melbourne right on the beach, are you thinking of staying in Port Melbourne? Or actually out of the city,like toward Ocean Grove (1.5 hours from Melbourne)?

Hi Todd
The best beach area to stay at in Melbourne is ST KILDA.
You could, in fact, stay there for your entire visit- its only a short tram ride into the cbd from St Kilda.

So- Google accommodation St Kilda Victoria for hotels- perhaps if you like (especiallly if you want NO children) try a B&B Google search.

by johnfromoz

When you say beach do you mean beach with waves that can be surfed or just sand & water?

by lynnehamman

Melbourne does not really have ABSOLUTE BEACH accomodation (like- walk from your room onto a beach) that I am aware of.......

We stayed at Novotel in St Kilda, which was right across the road from the beach. Have a look at their website:

St Kilda is a quirky but interesting suburb, with GREAT resturants & coffee shops. Tram ride away from city centre.

by tbnyc

thanks great info, looks like that will be the place for us to stay. I liked looking at your travel pages, you have a beautiful family and life. God bless and thanks again

Todd

by lynnehamman

You are very welcome, Todd.
If you get to Sydney, send me an email on VT. Maybe we could meet up somewhere.....

by sirgaw

You had me scratching my head on a place right on the beach - and I don't believe there is such a place in Melb (or suburbs). Perhaps the closest to the beach would be http://www.brightonsavoy.com.au/ - problem is there is not that much around there in the way of cafes etc. As someone else has said St Kilda would probably be the best and I'd stay there for the entire stay. St Kilda Novotel is certainly worth a look.

by tbnyc

thanks buddy, I think the Novotel is the deal for us. I like the hat...travel on Viking!!!!

Travel Tips for Melbourne

Trading love for acoustics...

by sjohann

The best Melbourne describes me is MUSIC and ARTS, as im an art-person myself. Theres a lot of Art-Shows
and Open Galleries around town. Very interesting aspects from student to real time artists.

Besides arts, comes music.
Melbourne is always one of the stops for musical tours, as for world famous bands.
Its the best choice and also the nearest spot if you're living in Asia.

Very good musical and arts performing city. As for my rushy Melbourne trip,... is all because of the Icelandic band Sigur Ros.
Performed at the Palais Theatre, St. Kilda.

Thats what i call an experience of the unusuals.
I was really shivering in the chill plus having a non-stop pounding heart,...
so excited to watch my favourite band in front of my eyes.

Tears are all over my face as they crafted the songs
with all your memories dancing all around you.

Its unexplainable to sit there at the Dress Circle.... Now thats love.

If you have chance to be aroun...

by Audrey118

If you have chance to be aroun d Box Hill or in the Vietnamese area of Melbourne,
I especially enjoy eating the Vietnamse bread.
My friend bought it from Box Hill from a baker, which is Vietnamese -
It is French loaf, filled with lettuce, and pickled vegetables of shreeded carrots, chillies etc, and has some pate in it, and and lots of sliced ham. Great for picnic, or long drive out, or like my friends take it to watch footies!!!

Stick more bills

by l_joo

Stick more bills is probably an international culture, I am very sure this culture is currently in heat especially promoting and advertising, notices, etc. We have, you have, they have and everybody have it in their own country, so I guess it was already a culture very much welcome or maybe hated worldwide, everywhere we travelled we saw it, please give your comments.

MX newspaper

by eviltooth

Pick up a free copy of MX newspaper in designated 'boxes' in the city and train stations (only those in the city). Lots of interesting stuff to read.

Don't have a pic of MX. That's our spoilt chihuahua Pi who loves taking pics. She gets very excited whenever we take the camera out.

Bike, Hike, or Rollerblade St. Kilda Beach

by ATXtraveler

Almost year round, you can enjoy St. Kilda Beach is a great place to take a walk or ride a bike. This beach sees over 70,000 visitors a year, but even in the wintertime there are plenty of people hiking, biking, and rollerblading!

They have separated the bike trails from the walking trails, so you do not even have to keep one eye peeled!

After that, you can head onto the pier and enjoy a walk for some spectacular views of the city! Walking shoes, bike, or blades!

Comments