380 William St., Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia

Booking.com Orbitz.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4 star hotels

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Good Location/friendly Staff

My wife and I had Radisson points to spend so we decided to use them on this hotel during our stay in Melbourne. Location here is good not great but is close to the Victoria Markets (which we loved). From the start this hotel's service wowed us. As soon as I pulled up to the door; Daryl from Conceirge directed the bellman to get our bags from the car. Once inside check in was so easy and very friendly. Daryl saw we had several extra bags of souvenir items including some breakables. He arranged for packing materials including bubble wrap to be delivered to our room (free of charge).

We returned the rental car and came back to the hotel to check out our room. Our bags were already brough to the room and waiting for us including the packing material and some guides and maps of the area. The room itself was ok. It was a corner room but basic for a city hotel size wise. The bathroom was nothing to write home about being rather start in comparison to the rest of the room's decor. There was a bed, table, tv, dresser, bar area, fridge and closet. The bed was very comfortable and we did have some good sleep. The fridge came in handy as we had purchased som delicious food items from the Victoria Markets down the street.

We decided to check out the hotels restaurant for lunch as it was hot as hell outside at 104 degrees. It was so hot my wife's feet were burning through her sandals. The hotel restaurant was nothing special; food was okay not great. Daryl even came in to see if we needed anything else and if the packing material was to our liking.

This guy was great; he and my wife hit it off so well. Throughout our stay Daryl was great at suggesting restaurants, places to see and arranging for our transport to the airport. He always had a big smile and was so charming. By the end of the trip we had exchanged information and had friended each other on Facebook. When we had arrived home and my wife's Father had died; Daryl saw it on Facebook and sent her the most harfelt message of condolence (that was so appreciated by us both). Even now we still talk to Daryl almost on a daily basis, he has become part of the family and hopefully he will see us next year for his 50th birthday trip to NY.

Unique Quality: The best part of our stay was Daryl. I could honestly leave the hotel and find something better but he was the shining star. Radisson really needs to reward him for his excellent customer service and overall service excellence. His is an amazing guy and it shows in all he does.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

A room with a view

I was very pleased with my stay at the Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens. Because we went during offpeak season we were given a free upgrade by our travel agent to a business room with a view of the gardens. We stayed in 5 hotels on our 3 week trip to Australasia and this hotel definitely had the best view.

The room was clean and comfy with the usual sort of stuff such as tea and coffee making facilities and complimentary toiletries. It also had a playstation but you had to pay to use that so we didn't bother. I did use the telephone to make two local phone calls, I don't make a habit of using hotel phones as I always assume the bills will be high but my calls didn't cost much at all.

The staff were very friendly and helpful too.

Unique Quality: Business Centre:
    The hotel has a small business centre in the lounge. We used this for internet access. I expect you were meant to pay but we were able to go online without the need for any passwords or coin operated boxes and no one came along to ask us for money, so that was a result!

Spa:
    This hotel has a roof top spa which includes a gym, sauna and jacuzzi. We didn't use the gym. We tried the sauna out but didn't last very long in there (too suffocating!) The best bit though was the jacuzzi. We went up there late afternoon and watched the sun set over the city. It felt really special. It was quite peaceful too as we had it to ourselves for a little while but we were joined by another couple at one point. The lady of the couple accidentally shattered our peace by pressing the emergency alarm button instead of the button to turn the jacuzzi bubbles back on and security came rushing up to turn the alarm off! haha! Although I bet she isn't the first person to have done that! :-)

Directions: Near Flagstaff Gardens

• WStat's Profile Photo

a nice business-hotel !

The hotel is nicely placed opposite Flagstaff Gardens, thus giving some green views and unpolluted air, nearby Queen Victoria Victoria Market . By car its just minutes from Telstra Dome, Melbourne Convention Centre, Crown Casino, Docklands, the shopping precincts and Melbourne's Theatres and Cinemas. Without car locomotion becomes somewhat more difficult and time-consuming, as distances in melbourne are rather remarkable. But public transport and taxis are reliable.
    The hotel offer all amenities of a 4-5-star business hotel, plus pool , jacuzzi and fitness-center. Restaurant and bars offer a wide range of international food and drinks.

Unique Quality: A reliable, modern and very convenient business-style hotel (with not much of a personality), not that centrally located as expected.

Directions: opposite historic Flagstaff Gardens

• kyoub's Profile Photo

Parkview

We actually chose the Radisson on Flafstaff because of its location. It was just a few blocks from where we were to pick up our rental car the following day.
    It was a nice hotel, friendly service, plus it was across the street from a very nice little park.

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

The Rad place to stay

We got accommodation to the Radisson off the net at wotif. For the price we paid we got a bargain.

The entrance to the hotel is very swish and the rooms although small very well maintained and clean.

The Hotel is barely a stones throw from the Victoria Markets and a short walk to town. Otherwise its a mere $5 cab ride to the Southbank and Crown Casino.

Unique Quality: The Foyer is very modern in design making it appealing.

There is a gym on the top floor although I failed to check it out.

More about Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens

Yuk! Skip it stay in St Kilda if you must go

by TripAdvisor Member TennesseeTina

This was my second stop in Australia and I must temper my review with the fact that it was an overcast and drizzling.

We flew into Avalon and took the Skybus to the city and they would have dropped us off about two blocks from the hotel. Lots of graffiti covered sad, dirty buildings then we arrive at the hotel. Lobby was nice, clean bright.

Check In went well, we settled into our two twin bed room and headed down stairs to get directions on good place for dinner. The conceirge was very vague and didn't ask us any questions like what are you looking for etc...They said walk two bolocks down and you'll see Hardware street you'll find something there. Okay we'll do that - nope
we weren't looking for high end dining more pizza and beer we found it just not where she sent us. Next morning I see on the news its going to be 30 C. I called down to concierge and got Ricky - I asked what did 30C transfer to in Fahrenheit his response? I don't know Fahrenheit something like a hundred. Oh okay I said adjusting my clothing for the day. I head downstairs and what is prominently displayed on the table across from Ricky - Today's weather in Celsius and Fahrenheit. (and no it wasn't a 100)- Hello? Ricky can you read?!
Big mistake I asked Ricky for Breakfast places - response - I don't really go to cafes here I can't help you. Why the hell are you standing at the concierge desk Ricky!

Melbourne went down hill from there - my only positive memory from this city is the The Mel museum, the Sunday Arts walk and the Riverfront walk of restaurants and shops. Everything else nope nada -not interested in ever seeing again.

So the room - you have signs about please leave this card on your bed if you want your sheets changed help us conserve, please place this on your door if you want a paper - help us conserve etc..So we tried to do our part BUT why did housekeeping remove the hotel amenities we used - we opened a bar of soap for the shower and bath - EVERYDAY because they were taken. I opened a new shampoo and conditioner - EVERYDAY because they were taken. Hey Radisson cleaning staff help us save the environment too - don't be so wasteful.

Lastly we were in room 109 - don't get it if you venture to stay there. We are guessing there was a washer or dryer on the other side of the wall it was some sort of office area not a room but definitely noisy.

Ohh before I forget we got the two twins - I think they forgot to lock
them down as we slept and tossed/turned the beds moved around the room
scary and funny at the same time.

No complaints about the Radisson

by TripAdvisor Member harvblue

We had a one bedroomed suite for 3 nights and had no problems. We landed early morning from Singapore and although our room wasn't ready, and the hotel was full, the reception staff were helpful, and allowed us to use the gym facilities to wash and change until our room was ready.
The suite was spacious and well equiped. Although we were in a corner room, and the trams were going past most of the time, the room was very quiet. We had views over Flagstaff Gardens from one window.
It was an easy walk into central Melbourne although in the evening there weren't many restaurants/bars open near the hotel.
We had breakfast at the hotel which was a pretty standard buffet. There was a nice coffee shop on the corner of the street for anyone not wanting breakfast at the hotel .Staff were pleasant and I thought we had good value for money for our short stay.
Victoria Market is nearby, and well worth a visit. Turn right out of the hotel, then right again, and you can't miss it.
Use the free sightseeing tram to explore the centre of Melbourne.

Needs Improvement/Senior Concerge should be sacked!

by TripAdvisor Member trek8

We recently stayed 5 nights in Melbourne and regretted that we did not opt for a different hotel. After staying at the Establishment hotel (boutiqueish) in Sydney and the Hilton (big chain) in Brisbane, I'd have to give poor marks to the Radisson. Specifically, the Radisson concierge (especially the so-called senior concierge) and hotel staff were disinterested, borderline rude and at times, downright unhelpful. Hotel management should take a course or two in hospitality management. The renovation, which was in progress, while subjective - was a complete turn-off. The Radisson's only saving grace is its access to transportation (i.e. the tram), its proximity to the Victoria market, and some nearby offices.

Great Hotel - Would Recommend

by TripAdvisor Member jacquilina

Great Hotel. We arrived early and were allowed to check into our room at about 10.30 am - great after a 24 hour flight when you have jet lag!
The staff are friendly, good mini-bar (reasonably priced). The spa on the rooftop is lovely with a fantastic view of the city.
Price was reasonable given the excellent locatoin and facilities.

Good location

by TripAdvisor Member Glassman77

We stayed at the Radisson for 2 nights over New Year. The hotel was very smart (clearly recently refurbished), our room provided good views over the park and the Telstra Dome and the gym/sundeck/spa on the top floor was more than adequate. The location was perfect - 10 minutes' walk to the CBD and a 10-minute taxi ride to the Southbank or Docklands.

Our only quibble was that the concierge was not as helpful as he might have been. We have stayed in Australian hotels where the concierge was excellent at making reservations and giving recommendations. In this case, we were given a phone number (calls to Melbourne are expensive from a UK mobile) and told to sort ourselves out.

There weren't many restaurants open in the CBD between Christmas and New Year but we did find a little Italian called Italy 1 (next door to Jamie Oliver's fifteen) which was excellent.

The taxi to the airport cost around $45 AUS.

average to good

by TripAdvisor Member MytimeSydney

We stayed 3 nights at the Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens in early January, my husband was there on business and it's very handy to city offices, also to Vic Market (just around the corner) and the tram stop but it's away from the shopping and river, very conservative spot.

We booked on whotif.com.au and got a really good rate. The hotel is fine, nothing special and that's where I see a problem with previous reviews>>>> it's all in the expectation, and if you have had a recent great experience somewhere else or are used to super service.

The refurb makes it clean and tidy although it's very generic. The rooms aren't huge but where tidy and tastefully decorated. We found the staff helpful but not knowledgable. It's just hitting 4 star if you ask me, just.

The spa is OK but nothing to rave about (it's like a hothouse up there during the day & early evening), and the gym is pretty standard hotel stuff.

All in all, I'd stay there again if I got a good rate but not without it. It's the kind of place you stay when you are going to be out all day.

Comments