379 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, Victoria, 3004, Australia

Expedia.com Orbitz.com Agoda.com

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 5 star hotels

• davido7236's Profile Photo

A few nights at the Royce

I stayed a week at the Royce in March 2010. The room was large and comfortable, but to get Internet access there appeared to be two packages - $25 for 24-hr access or no access. $25- was really too much in my opinion. There is a small choice of films on the pay-for-view and also an iPod speaker deck. I drank the two bottles of water left on my table - which I found out were $3 each at check-out. I needed to get IT help on the Internet access and I found the hotel staff couldn't help - they just get you to ring the helpline which isn't particularly good. The location on St Kilda Rd is OK - you can walk downtown fairly easily but trams run along the road anyway. The building used to be a Rolls-Royce showroom, hence the name. I had breakfast and felt that the service was good, plenty of waitresses were around when I needed them, and the place was less than half full at 8.30am. The restaurant is quite expensive in my opinion, but the bed was comfortable, with a big walk-in shower (no bath) and the rooms were very quiet except for the aircon fan. Guests get a bathrobe and some slippers, plus there's an ironing board and a laundry service. 24-hr room service is apparently available.
    I think I would stay again, as it was near where I was working, and the area felt safe even at night, but I'm also tempted to try somewhere else just to compare what service I could get for the same price. The place never seemed very busy.

Unique Quality: Small, quirky building. Nothing else.

Directions: By Melbourne Grammar School right on St Kilda Road

• davido7236's Profile Photo

Royce

Very comfortable, large rooms and a good restaurant with some seating outside. Located in St Kilda Rd which is a nice part of town.

Unique Quality: Quirky architecture. It was a Rolls-Royce dealer at one point, and part of the Grammar School which is nearby.

Directions: Go down St Kilda Road and it's near the Grammar School

• phillarkins's Profile Photo

Overrated

This hotel is very overrated. It is apparently a 5 star hotel and is priced accordingly. Let me give you the tip, this is far too expensive, shop around you can get a far better deal. Almost every aspect we were sold on the hotel was a dissapointment in reality. The gym is ridiculous. it has 3 bits of equipment in a room that you could not swing a cat. The spa rooms have bath tubs with jets. The breakfast was probably the worst I have had in a hotel in melbourne. The room is OK and spacious. Television is basically local tv with 2 other channels. It is not far out of the city but there are so many better hotels in the heart of the city that there really is no reason to stay here. They need to drastically drop their prices or dramatically improve facities.

More about Royce Hotel

Melbourne Shopping Mecca

by Alex-Perth

"Melbourne has grown"

Not having been to Melbourne for 5 years since Ansett's demise I was amazed at how much the place has changed. Coming in from the airport through Docklands noticed the skyrise apartments abound. Impressive architecture was what came to mind. I was invited by a friend who was invited by a Company that was a major sponsor for the Commonwealth Games. So all accommodation, food, alcohol, functions and Events for the games were all paid for. A great way to have 4 days and 3 nights in a bustling city. Staying at the Royce on St Kilda Road will be a very nice hotel accommodation when the adding of the 5th floor is completed. Yes... being from Perth they started at 7 in the morning.... Which is 4 for us Sandgropers...

"Blisters"

I was impressed with all the beautiful buildings around Melbourne, there was so much to see and do that I didn't have enough time. I spent most of my time walking around admiring the beautiful achitecture of old and new as well as the beautiful parks and gardens. Make sure you wear VERY comfortable shoes as my feet are now paying for it. Not only was there excitement in the air with the streets filled with tourists from all over the globe, traffic which comprised of people and vehicles ran smoothly. It leaves me to wonder why can't our drivers here in Perth be hospitable and considerate...

"Shopping"

Well... everywhere you go there are beautiful shops catering to everything you may want to buy as well as not!!! Cafes and restaurants abound with fantastic menus... The Royce Hotel has a great bar menu at very reasonable prices... On one of my long walks I ventured along Chapel Street on Saturday night, purely so that I didn't do it during the day... Why?? So I wouldn't get tempted to spend more money, I felt window shopping would be acceptable. I planned on going to Bridge Road Sunday Morning before the closing ceremony of the Games. The great thing about Bridge Road is that you get anything you want. The tram from Flinders St Station drops you off at the beginning of Bridge Road and they inform you that if you're here to shop, this is where you start. You walk down one side of the Road and come back up the other side... When I returned from my 4 hours of shopping comments of "You've been shopping!" were voiced. My answer as I'm standing there with feet throbbing holding 7 full bags "What ever gave you THAT idea!!!!" All in all, Melbourne was a great experience and I would have to say that you'd never get bored!

Comments