Sebel Melbourne

SQ238Meals3SQ238Meals3

ChocolateAztecaChocolateAzteca

Tour group

by Dymphna1

Looking at Echidna Walkabout - is this place recommended?

by cafank

I sent some friends on a tour with this group - penguins overnight - they said it was great, very personal, lots of knowledge.

Thanks

by swissfondue

Yes, coming from Melbourne I have heard of this company but dont know anyone that has used them. Their tours seem quite good, if a bit expensive in my opinion. They cater to small group tours if thats what you are looking for and the areas they travel to such as Phillip Island and the Great Ocean Road as certainly very scenic.

by Dymphna1

I have booked a one day tour with them. Is it common place to tip such places there? Is it common to tip in restaurants or other such places? Thanks

by leffe3

check out this discussion from a couple of weeks ago regarding tours out of Melbourne.

by Grevil

re tipping
Probably on a one day tour, people wouldn't normally tip unless they thought the service was exceptionally good.

Its more common to tip in expensive restaurants - but no obligation ... and normally only if the service is good, or better.

Most budget type restaurants or cafes don't expect tips.

Travel Tips for Melbourne

Accommodation around Great Ocean Road

by AnitaGANSUKH

We had a great time driving around Great Ocean Road. The scenery is spectacular and what a great way to escape the big city.

I found the quality of the accommodation including services really vary around Great Ocean Road.

I initially made a booking at Arrabella B&B and advised them about late check in as were driving a distance. Unfortunately, it turned out to be a big disappointment as we arrived they turned us down regardless of the earlier booking and credit card details and we ended up having nowhere to stay which was really scary as it was late and dark pretty much in the middle of no where. The people whom were running this accommodation was very unfriendly and was a disappointment to us because the last thing you want to experience after driving a long distance is grumpy people...and to be told that we had no accommodation.

Out of desperation we ended up basically driving into the next "accommodation" sign and very fortunately ended up in a backpackers at Princetown ran by lovely lady whom was very hospitable and friendly. The accommodation was three times cheaper then Arrabella + plus great smile + great hospitality and very helpful.

Next time I will definitely make sure I do research before I book the accommodation.

Overall the Great Ocean Road experience was excellent!

Smoking is a general tip?

by l_joo

I am not sure whether this can be considered a general tip? But believe me, I saw quite many cigarettes and smokers, and the way they set up their cigarette-dustbin is like this, at roadside. As a tourist, this is something new, so let me share with you.

Barcelona FC

by l_joo

Absently walking towards Queen Victoria Market, I saw a magenta-blue (Barcelona FC?) building. Someone told me it is a brothel. As a tourist, this is something I want to highlight especially the way its colorful look. I did not actually walk close to look at it therefore unable to provide further detail info. I however find it quite unbelievable that brothels in my country must definitely be hidden underground (you need to visit my country to understand what I said), but sorry this tip is not about promoting masculinity nor femininity. Anyway, whoever has been to nearby brothels, feel free to elaborate.

should you travel via public...

by steph_78

should you travel via public transport at all during your trip, you may come across some brightly dressed crowds of people, some in family groups, but more likely large groups of males. These are 'footy fans' and should be treated with the utmost respect. Particularly if it is post match, and their team lost. They will be drunk, possibly over friendly or even a little bit agro. Just smile, nod and agree that the umpire is indeed a blind white maggot.

Windsurfing on Port Phillip Bay

by Orchid

It's always fun watching the windsurfers scudding across the waves on the bay as I walk along the pedestrial/bike path near Point Ormond to Elwood Beach. But why not try it out yourself?

Amongst many others, RPS The Board Store at Elwood runs lessons and hires out equipment.
See also Elwood Sailboarders (www.elwoodsc.com/Windsurf.html) You can check out many supply stores for equipment. Most of them even run lessons for beginnners up to advanced.

Approx Costs - $75 for 1.5hrs or 3hrs for $129 beginner courses.

Comments