111 Little Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia

Booking.com Hotels.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• The first ever -34 star hotel.

When you think of places like The Stanford Hotel in Melbourne, it can only be related to such things as the 911 bombings or Pearl Harbour. Upon entering the hotel my friends and I came to a realisation that the elevator didn't work, that lost a star. We walked into the room which we hoped would be painted blue; it was white (star deducted). On the first day we all lost large quantities of money in the local casino and as a scapegoat to this the hotel lost a star, it was down to 2 stars on the first night with 3 days left. Many other factors came into play that cause the hotel to lose more rating stars such as: us getting lost several times, me personally losing my toothpaste, the swimming pool being closed too early, our keycards not working and above all we lost our multibets from the TAB. My friends and I are better than this and we demand an accommodation worth it's price in which this wasn't, by the end of the trip we were quite tired and wanted to be home (not really). I also have listed this as a hostel referring to the movie where i'd rather have my nipples and other sensitive parts of my body tortured than staying at the Stanford Hostel in Melbourne, get ***ed.

• Not 5 stars!!!

This is not a 5 star hotel. It was like staying in our old house back in the 80's. Old carpets, old lounges, horrible decor, scary bathroom, old fittings, dingy kitchenette, horrible air conditioner, the worst TV set you may ever find on a 5 stars hotel............. It was so unpleasant to know that the backpackers where our teenage son was staying was more comfortable and 10 times cheaper. STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE!!!!

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Fabulous suite

The Stamford sits in a great location in Little Collins Street within easy walking distance to the heart of the city. Little Collins Street is known as “The Paris End” specializing in boutique and exclusive shops. It is also close to some of Melbourne’s best restaurants and cafés. Upon arriving we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite (1512) actually one could call it an apartment. A spacious lounge dining area with colour TV and CD player. A separate kitchen with marble bench tops, standard size fridge, microwave, stove, toaster, kettle and coffee peculator!! (with fresh coffee provided).

The main bedroom has sliding wooden doors off the living room with queen size bed and ample wardrobe space, the bedroom has a dressing room with a small bathroom with spa bath and overhead shower. The second bedroom has two twin beds working desk, wardrobe and bathroom with walk-in shower and toilet. The furniture is elegant with silk curtains and Roman blinds which creates a attractive stylish atmosphere.

This apartment would certainly suit a family or two couples looking for value, as its spacious and relatively private with two separate bathrooms. There are three balconies in the suite, one large with opening sliding doors from the living room, with cute iron table and chairs offering a outlook towards the Botanical gardens. The other two balconies are petite with views of ugly office blocks.

CONS: In day time the rooms are dim..one needs to put the lights on. Two buildings east and west towers are separated by in-house covered bridge; it can make you feel isolated from hotel. No king size bed for my 6ft 4ins man.

Unique Quality: Other facilities include small indoor swimming pool, sauna and spa on the 16th floor. There is premium in-house dining, laundry service and broadband connection. Harry’s Bistro and café is located on the Lobby floor with a average lobby bar next door.

PROS: Centrally positioned within walking distance to heart of city. All rooms are suites roomy and gracefully furnished. Staff are cooperative and welcoming. The Stamford feels more like an exclusive apartment building than a hotel. Highly recommended.

Directions: Located in Litle Collins Street.

• Luxurious Apartments

Stayed there for 2 nights in 2003 cos I got a very good deal from Ratestogo. Very plush accomodation. And I loved the Jacuzzi tubs in the apartment. We stayed in a 2 bedroom which was very spacious. Even the kitchen area was cool.
    Will definitely stay there if I can get a good rate on it again.

• ccvisit's Profile Photo

"Paris end" in Melbourne

Stamford Plaza is located on Little Collins, a little alley-like street, but don't let the "alley" fool you. Stamford Plaza boasts its location as the Paris end of Little Collins (very much like its big brother, Collins Street, just one street over).

The hotel is actually two buildings set side by side and if your room is not located in the same space as the lobby, then you have to cross a very small street outside to get to your rooms (but that building does have their own entrance and you don't have to go through the lobby each time).

Upon entering, you immediately feel the customer service bearing down on you in a way that you almost feel embarrassed by the attention.

But the best part are the rooms. They're all suites and you can choose from, one, two, or three bedrooms, with a living room, kitchen, and small dining area. The bathroom also comes with a spabath.

However, here's a negative: lack of closet space and just clothes storage as well as very little counter space in the bathroom sink. If you're staying a few days, it's always nice to unpack a few things, but the lack of space didn't really make unpacking worthwhile.

However, however, screw the unpacking and just stuff your clothes on the very spacious lounge area and go out and explore central Melbourne on foot. Yes, the hotel really is centrally located. We walked everywhere and when it was too far to walk we took the free City Tram (marked red--the ones with a green trim are fee-type trams).

Basically, the hotel's location and very helpful concierge makes you feel like the whole of Melbourne is right outside your door.

Unique Quality: Views are probably great, but we were on the 5th floor and not high enough to see Melbourne's cityscape, so ask for higher floors if that's important. Also, the pool (indoor/outdoor) and sauna are on the roof, as well as a gym, but didn't go near it. Melbourne's just too cool to stay inside for very long.

Directions: On Little Collins Street, between Exhibition and Russell streets. Exhibition and Russell intersects Bourke and Collins Street.

• MJL's Profile Photo

The Stamford Plaza Hotel

Unique Quality: An apartment house type hotel, kitchen+living room and bedroom with a shover+bath. There is an indoor pool, a sauna and some workout facilities and also business centre. A very friendly staff.

More about Stamford Plaza Melbourne

Disappointed with "5 star" hotel

by TripAdvisor Member PAB3

I have just returned from 4 days in Melbourne with a friend. We stayed in The Stamford Plaza Melbourne because we left it too late to book somewhere else.This place is not dreadful by any means but I do not think it rates 5 stars compared to other 5 star hotels I have stayed inaround the world.
The staff were polite and helpful, the room was comfortable albeit a little smaller than expected and we got a twin share as requested. I felt that it needed updating to keep its 5 star status. It was supposed to have a fully equipped kitchen.Two elements but nothing to cook with!!A chipped wine glass, only 1 knife did not really measure up.
We ordered room service one night and the food was good. The beds were comfortable but true singles. A little hard after usually sleeping in a queen.
They do have a swimming pool and spa but these are small and not at all up to the standard I would expect from a 5 star.A gym was also advertised. This was two small rooms on different levels of the hotel with a couple of pieces of equipment in each.
I was disappointed with house keeping because they took towels and robes and didn't replace them and they cleared up the showercap and soap but again didn't replace them. They did bring them up as soon as we asked but i don't think we should have had to in a 5 star.

Have stayed many times & always love the Stamford Melbourne

by TripAdvisor Member LoisandMajor

We love our stays at the Melbourne Stamford as we are able to be independent for all our meals, staying in a 1 bedroom apartment.
Also, the location ables us to be close to many of our favourite venues, like Pelegrinis, Florentino and Bistro 1 for example, and the Stamford Bar is a great place to be able to meet friends for a drink and a chat.

Excellent location

by TripAdvisor Member annakay

My friend and I stayed at this hotel during our shopping weekend. The location was fantastic, just a short stroll from all the shops, cafes and restaurants. The good thing was you didnt need a cab as everything was in walking distance.

The staff at the front desk seemed unfriendly and we were suprised that no one helped us carry our suitcases up five floors to our room.

The rooms were very nice, spacious and comfortable. I liked the fact that there was a seperate room with a comfy couch for watching tv as well as a separate kitchen. As we were there for only a weekend, we didnt make any use of the kitchen.

The breakfast was disappointing and was quite expensive for what it was. The selection was not that great and for that money you can walk down the road to a lovely cafe and pay a quarter of the price.

Aside from that, we were quite happy and would definitely stay there again.

Almost Spot On ...

by TripAdvisor Member Beyond_Boston

The hotel was in a good location, and had free laundry facilities - so it was a good choice.

The hotel service was average. We booked a 'Red Eye Recovery' package ... the front desk didnt realize they had such a package ... and we did not receive the amenities quoted on the website. I would recommend holding off on any special packages.

For those from the states, it reminded me of a Residence Inn style accomodation. The laundry is on the top floor of the main tower - so if you plan on doing laundry it may be best to request to be close to the laundry room.

Great spot, great hotel

by TripAdvisor Member JelliB

We stayed at the Stamford for three nights for a weekend get away.
The hotel is an 'all suite' so every room has a bedroom (one or two), a kitchette and a lounge area as well as the bathroom.
The staff were great at check-in and our bags were taken from us straight away. No view, but we weren't having a week end away to look out the window! The normal sized bath had spa jets in it and a changable massaging shower head. Our bathroom was a bit more dated than the one in the other reviewers pic's but it was still nice.
There were plenty of channels, including free cable on the tv and the bed was great..if only I could find out who made the sheets! Only problem encountered was when we went down for breakfast the first morning. After buying a bed and breakfast package, the waiter abruptly told us he only had one breakfast on the list..this was quickly sorted out by the reception staff, but it shouldn't have had to be us that did the sorting. Was correct the next morning without a problem. The breakfast was great, with plenty of choices and everything was constantly refreshed.
Although we didn't use it, the pool. jacuzzi and sauna looked great.
Over all, if you can get a discounted package via a site like wotif.com.au go for it. There are probably better priced hotels for a long stay, but this was a great place for a treat for us.

• Nov 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM

My Daughter and I stayed at the Stamford in October. We have stayed there before, but I will never stay again. I left some precious items of clothing in the room and after numerous phone calls, being put through to people that have no idea of what I was talking about and then being told they would look into it later. Four weeks down the track, still waiting. the Two bed room apartment was very noisy with road works all night and when I mentioned it was told I should have bought a pair of ear plugs. there are around 500 other Hotels to stay at in and around Melbourne.