The Albany Hotel

Corner Toorak Road & Millswyn Street, South Yarra, Melbourne, Victoria, 3141, Australia

The Albany
Orbitz.com Agoda.com Booking.com

Satisfaction Average

Value Score Great Value!

Costs 29% less than similarly rated 3 star hotels

• gross

rooms that have no soundproofing. desks that are water damaged. tv's in the rooms nearby going at 1am and the staff not helping with that. Hey i can put up with that but the cockroaches in the bathroom was the last straw. this place needs to be bulldozed

Unique Quality: nothing

• Quaint and funky.

My stay was very positive. I previously had read a lot of bad reviews and was anxious about my stay. When I arrived I discovered that the hotel was not in bad condition at all. Although some of the outside building is old the rooms and inside of the main building were well furnish and decorated. With bright colours and different interesting pictures the hotel has a real funky and different feel. For the price the rooms are good quaility. It is not five star but I cannot see any real issue. The beds were comfy, staff was lovely and overall was a good expirernce. The room was well cleaned and I was truly happy with what I had been offered

Unique Quality: The unique characteristics about this hotel is definitely the art which has a rock theme. And the roof top pool definetly is a good time (:

• Negatives and Positives

My stay had negatives and positives. I will try and state facts without any emotional statments so you can make your own mind up. Firstly I looked on wotif.com for a romantic getaway for my partner and I. I wanted somewhere close to his work and found the spa suit at the Albany with rockstar theme. Perfect. $155 for one night including a $30 voucher for there dining area.
    On arrival the place was a little shabby around the edges but still nice.
    There is limited parking but as I got a good spot out front it didn't make a difference for me. On arrival the receptionest was lovely. Her service couldn't be faulted. What could be faulted is that I rang that morning to confirm my booking and confirm I would arrive at 3pm. I checked in at reception at 3.30pm and then had to sit and wait for half an hour for my room to be cleaned. As I was already running late this was a big set back and quite annoying. When I got into the "superior spa suit" it was a little rough but big enough - not somewhere I would go on a romantic night away. The toilet was leaking and making a bad noise. I rang the receptionest who sent someone up straight away. He said sorry he couldn't fix it. I suggested to him that I would like to change rooms. Another half an hour while they made up another room. Annoyed that they would put me in a sub-standard room to begin with. This time I was upgraded to a nice suit with a spa. The room was really nice. Television was a bit small and old but that's the only thing that could be faulted. The room itself was clean and nicely decorated. I highly recommend you ask for it (room 88). Its right next to the lift which In reading other reveiws i thought would be noisey but it barely made a noise. After settling in we went down stairs to have dinner. THE FOOD WAS AMAZING & the service was just as good. I highly recommend you eat there - or order it as room service (available 24/7) I had a caramelized onion, feta and rocket pizza $14 and my parter had steak $30.
    After we went upstairs to unwind- a little disappointed that the foxtel was only 2 sport channels and 1 news channel. Could watch television from the lounge, bed or spa. Brought our own drinks which was handy. In the morning we found out the shower had two temps - extreamly hot and icey.
    Now check out - nightmare. Was charged $50 aus bond by the hotel and wasn't told which overdrew my credit card as I only put money on it when purchasing online. If I was told this I would have paid from my other account. The $30 voucher want added on and when I argued the guy (not the friendly receptionest from the night before) took another 20mins to work it all out. When I asked when the bond was expected back into my account he said it was to do with the bank not the hotel (as if that makes sence! I work at the bank and know this isny right) he was so confusing saying it was a standard fee we wouldnt get back then saying it was bond that the bank would give back. I wrote an email in regards to this as he was to confusing.
    In conclusion, I probably wouldn't go back. Rates are great but I think I could find better. A huge negative was check in taking 1 hour and 20mins (waiting for my room then having to move and wait while they made up the new one) and check out taking just half an hour. The rooms not being ready and being put into a room with a leaky toilet and the crappy shower.
    Positives being the room we finally got put in was nice, spa was great, food was amazing and the 1st receptionest was lovely.

Unique Quality: apparently there is a rooftop pool but it was raining so we stayed in the in room spa.

• Worst hotel i have EVER stayed in!

Our stay started off ok. But after the reception had no idea where parking was our trip soon went sour :(
    I am sitting up after having 4 hours of sleep. i can NOT sleep here. the place is a mess. and the noise is beyond resnoble. There is some mexican guy banging and yelling outside our door, and this is just today. there is no "do not disturb" sign avail and as i have been busy during the nights i am getting annoyed by day. Room service and house keeping can barely speak english and they have banged on our door 3 times this morning. last night we decided to spoil ourselves and order room service.. the food was cold and disgusting and when the guy brang our food to the door he said " i need to bring them in i need the silver trays!! i need the silver trays!" ok so he still had to go back to get our coffees why couldn't he pick up the trays then? no. he stood there and opened our door while my friend and i where in our underwear and waited for these stupid silver trays. My friend is restless and i have been running on no sleep. wait here they come again bagning on our door. I never write reviews about anything but this hotel is horrible. i will urg ANYONE to NEVER stay here. i have stayed in cheaper acomodation and this is just woeful! concidering i paid more for this hotel than the mantra is just pathetic as i have never had any problems with the mantra. I am absolutly furious with this hotel.!! i got woken up by some guy who couldn't really speak english asking me if he could check the mini bar? no not fill it up.. check it? i replied with a "no!" i am just about to go and complain to recepetion i will never stay here again. The location is perfect but if you really want somewhere that is half decent do not stay here.. I am so disapointed.. and i am driving 10 hours tomorrow on nearly NO sleep. :( and with room service as he brang the food to the door he says "we had to charge an extra $10" WHY??? there was no reason why he had to charge an extra $10? so food for both of us nearly cost us $70.. i just had a chat to the "owner" and she is a complete *** saying that it is our fault we did not tell them not to disturb us? we dont even have a "do not disturb" sign? im very unhappy with this place and they seem not to care in the slightest.

More about The Albany Hotel

Ok but not worth the money

by TripAdvisor Member cookie2crumb

Rooms were very basic and smelled a bit. Would definitely expect more for the price. Plus point is that we were at the back so it was very peaceful. Hotel in a nice area and is only a short walk to restaurants, shops and the tram. Staff were always courteous and friendly.

Rude

This isnt the place to say if you want privacy. The rooms were stuffy, the air conditioning didnt work properly. And the worst thing was...several times...i had the "Do Not Disturb" sign removed from my door and they would try to enter the room even after i had said no to housekeeping coming in 5 minutes earlier. On one occasion, i left the "do not disturb" sign on the door as i left, i came back an hour later to find that the sign had been thrown on the ground and my room had been serviced. The only thing worth complimenting them about was the Bottle of wine on arrival was nice and there were a few nice people working on reception.

Filthy

by TripAdvisor Member Melanzana

It is insulting to pay for a room which is just plain filthy. I was expecting simplicity - even though is was getting close to $100 per night - but not filth. The room had not been cleaned thoroughly for a VERY long time. When I did complain, the chap was pleasant. The next round of cleaning was an improvement, but still not up to scratch.

Woman on the front desk was very nice.

Tricked by photographs !!

by TripAdvisor Member graton

After reading the other two reviews I thought I must have had the wrong hotel!!
Room was grubby and the bathroom facilities were unbelievably horrible, a WC that had a large opening into the bed area, a washbasin that sat in the middle of the main room with a taffeta type curtain on a rail that you used to shield your ablutions from the the other guest - totally see through! The worst/cheapest coffee sachets.
Didn't wait to to experience the breakfast !
Bed was OK

So bad, I cried....

by TripAdvisor Member chabby73

Superior room....NOT! We walked into the room and were overcome by the smell. We bought room deoderiser on our way back from dinner! Renovated it said (internet), slap on some paint and put up some pictures. It was dark...so dark and small. My husband and I wanted a romantic night away from the kids. It was so bad we ended up drinking a lot (which was needed believe me) to get over having to return.
The tiles,in the closet style bathroom, were falling off. There was a tube from the airconditioner which lined the corner of the bathroom wall and the water went into a plastic tub behind the toilet. Real classy! This hotel is a testament tothe saying "You get what you pay for". However since this horrific encounter we have stayed at many other hotels for less and got a lot more. Do yourself a favour and don't bother.

Don't trust the website

by TripAdvisor Member LRobin

The website looks great, so we booked a 'superior' room. While the room was fine, it did not live up to the expectations we had from the website. This was little more than a Butlins chalet: the walls were paper-thin, there was a connecting door to the next room, bolted amateurishly. You could hear everything next door. You could hear everything outside the room. The room opened onto a concrete walkway, joining several rooms and overlooking the bins. The room smelt of stale cigarette smoke. The bathroom had been cleaned, but there was old dirt on the tops of tiles and in corners, it felt old. The TV reception was dodgy and when we asked at reception, there was a lukewarm response of 'just try it again'. There were possums living in the vegetation on the outside of the hotel walls - we were pleased to see some indigenous wildlife, but it's not that healthy. If you want budget accomodation, book this hotel. If you want a little luxury, don't.

could be better

by TripAdvisor Member uajamesh

Hard to disagree with everyone else. Location is ok as its by the botanical gardens, but the hotel is shabby. its just all a little frayed round the edges and a little dirty. fairly cheap though, so you get what you pay for... On the positive, the Continental breakfast was good. (and yes, where do those photos on the website come from...)

Awful!

by TripAdvisor Member Moosegal

I wouldnt recommend this hotel, to start with there is no parking available - though it does state that it may not be available there are no other places close by to even pay for parking? the concierge advised us to park our rental car in the botanical gardens car park about 5 mins walk away! not safe at night for walking or parking your rental vehicle.

We got told our room number and that there would be wine in the fridge - no such luck and on entering the room there was one curtain up and the other was 3/4 on the floor with no hope of trying to fix it. The bathrooms are original 50's green and pink with cracked tiles and hose pipes leading to empty ice cream containers.?? There was something growing on the ceiling in the bathroom (pod like), the place looks like a quick whiff of new paint and some new bedding and whamo they can accept $100 off people !!

the only good thing i can say about this place is that they have nice new comfy beds - we chose to not stay our full time frame and left to go to another hotel.

Comments