The Hotel Windsor Melbourne

The Hotel Windsor
Travelocity Expedia.com Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

The Hotel Windsor-'Duchess of Spring Street'

Having admired the wonderful Victorian facade of the hotel on previous vists to Melbourne, we decided that it was time to actually spend a weekend here recently.
    From the moment that we arrived it was pure class. Our luggage was whipped from the taxi and carried into the sumptious foyer, where the concierge greeted us with a welcoming smile, and walked us to the reception area. We were greeted by name and after registering, we were given our key. Before taking the lift up, I stood there and admired the elegance of this hotel foyer. Crystal chandeliers, huge displays of white orchids tastefully arranged, plush red carpet. This hotel has been a Melbourne institution for 125 years, and has retained the beauty and charm that has attracted many-some famous, some infamous, and others who just enjoy the best there is to offer. It has a long history, and in a side chamber off the foyer there is a pictorial history which we later enjoyed reading.
    It predates many of the grand hotels of the Victorian era, including The Savoy, London (1889), The Plaza, New York, (1894), The Waldorf Astoria, New York (1894), the Hotel Ritz, Paris (1898) and The Raffles, Singapore (1887).
    Once known as the Grand Coffee Palace and for a brief period, under the influence of the Temperance Movement, liquor was banned from its premises. By 1897, however, the hotel changed hands, and welcomed back its original name. It also regained a liquor licence.
    Now owned by the Oberoi group, it has undergone a re-furbishment in the last few years, and no cost was spared ( I was pleased that the floor-boards still creaked, though)
    Our room was a De Luxe, on the 4th floor, at the end of a long corridor. Four floors, 180 rooms including 20 suites

There are different catogories- traditional, superior, de luxe, junior-suite and the very fancy and exclusive Windsor, Victorian and Royal Suites.
    The room we stayed in was very large- with a walk in dressing room, a marble bathroom with the deepest tub I have ever seen, and a completely separate shower cubicle. Gold-plated fittings completed the elegance, along with the best toiletries and cuddly white bathrobes.
    Two comfortable velvet armchairs, a writing desk, various tables and two upright chairs in the sitting area. The bed was queen size, and...........divine. Needless to say, the furniture was of the Victorian era too- but newish. Heavy velvet drapes and a pretty floral carpet. And the windows actually opened- a rarity nowadays. We loved that, because I am not a fan of air-con, unless it is very hot. Our room overlooked Spring Street and the Houses of Parliament.
    There is 24hour room service, a newspaper outside the door every morning, and mini-bar available. Cable TV and Internet too.
    The staff have obviously had the best training- every contact with them was a pleasure, they aim to and do give the best attention to every guest.
    The big attraction every day is the 'Afternoon Tea'- NOT cheap (A$59.00 pp) but served in the grand old style on the best silver with an array of cakes and finger sandwiches that would satisfy any appetite. Tea at the Windsor is an 'occasion' that actually needs a booking.
    Dining is in the restuarant called 111 Spring Street- the menu a choice of a la Carte or set 3 course. The Executive Chef Jérôme Trémoulet does the hotel proud.
    The Cricketers Bar has cricket memorobilia lining the walls, and was in full swing when we popped in for a drink.
    I recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys the 'old style glamour' of Victorian days, and to anyone who wants a really romantic stay.

Some notable previous guests include:

Lauren Bacall, Katharine Hepburn, Vivien Leigh, Gregory Peck, Douglas Fairbanks, Claudette Colbert . Rudolph Nureyev and Dame Margot Fonteyn. Meryl Streep, Sir Laurence Olivier, Muhammad Ali. Sir Anthony Hopkins.

Unique Quality: We enjoyed the ambiance and quiet elegance of the hotel . The sweeping Grand Staircase, with its wrought-iron bannisters- It was not difficult to imagine the many elegantly dressed ladies that made their way down the stairs to the ball-room, in days gone by.

The pillow-menu- (a selection of 10 different pillows)

The deep marble bath

The heated towels racks

The original wrought-iron lifts (we were not sure if they were in use)

The view of the park, Parliament House and the free City Circle Tram that stops every 10 mins outside the front entrance. Most attractions and great shopping within walking distance, or a short tramride away.

Directions: Top end of town, opposite Parliament House.

• sirgaw's Profile Photo

- Melbourne's Finest

"She" has been a land mark since 1883 when the hotel opened and was known as "The Grand." Six years later she was purchased by the temperance movement and alcohol was banned and she became a coffee palace - or private hotel. In the 1920's under a change of ownership again the establishment gained a full liquor licence and a name change to "The Windsor" - and better known as "The Dutches" and hence 'she.'

It is a wonderful old building and one of the last remaining GRAND hotels in the world that has seen so much of the history of this city unfold.

Located directly opposite the magnificent Parliament of Victoria building (Australian Parliament House 1901 - 1927 when Melbourne was Federal Capitol of Australia) and beside the underground Parliament Station. The Windsor is surrounded by many "Marvellous Melbourne" (1880 - 1890) era buildings

Can't afford to stay at the Windsor - well there's afternoon tea served in the dining room, or enjoy a drink in the famous "Cricketers Bar" where there is an amazing array of cricketing memorabilia to view. Full range of services normally associated with a prestigious 5 star hotel.

About the photos:
    1. The front entrance of the hotel today with the magnificent canopy.
    2. Taken from the book "The Dutches" and shows the hotel around 1890. The cabman's shelter shown was moved and is currently beside the MCG in Brunton Avenue.
    3. Old world charm in the main lobby.
    4. Just a very small part of the traditional high tea served every day - see separate tip
    5. Above the main entrance are the statues of Hope and Glory and the crest of the hotel.

• KrautGermany's Profile Photo

Hotel-Institution

An institution, the Windsor is the grand old dame of the Melbourne hotels. Built in the end of the 19th century, it`s a real grandhotel, but with contemporary equipment.
    The Windsor is to find at the edge of the CBD, right across the Victoria parliament.

For grandhotel-lovers I can highly recommend this hotel.

• derats's Profile Photo

Australia's only remaining grand hotel.

Built in 1883 and superbly refurbished in the mid 1990s, The Windsor – an Oberoi Hotel is the only truly grand hotel remaining in Australia. The award winning, five star hotel evokes the elegance and grandeur of a glorious past, while boasting the most modern facilities expected of one of the world's leading hotels.

Located at the "Paris end" of Melbourne, The Windsor is adjacent to the Treasury Gardens and within walking distance of some of the city's best known attractions, including the Princess Theatre, the Exhibition Building and the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Unique Quality: The Windsor offers a diverse range of superb accommodation choices in its 180 rooms and suites. Renowned for their grandiose proportions and other luxuries such as marble bathrooms and highly impressive, 12 foot ceilings, they confirm The Windsor's Victorian heritage.
    ONE ELEVEN SPRING STREET
    111 Spring Street is the signature restaurant of The Windsor. Decorated in keeping with the style and opulence of this grand hotel, 111 Spring Street is furnished with Victorian drapes and upholstery, reminiscent of a grand, colonial dining room

Directions: Located opposite Parliament House and the Old Treasury Building

More about The Hotel Windsor Melbourne

Grace and Favour

by TripAdvisor Member Diptych

The Windsor Hotel in Melbourne is one of those blasts from the past that is out of kilter with mainstream business hotels but offers a different, quieter experience and is valuable for that reason.

It is a traditional grand hotel with long echoey corridors and characterful rooms. It is a cool oasis in which to recover from or prepare yourself for the hot sun outside. Staff are friendly and helpful and everything works as it should. The breakfast is first rate.

Shortcomings for me included a bar that was shut when I arrived at 2200, a 'business centre' that is no more than a pc in the lobby and the lack of a swimming pool. The health centre is more than adequate (tho unmanned) and is a match for those found in many 5 star hotels. The bar, when open in the early evening, is cricket themed and bustling.

I did not eat in the hotel restaurant - other than for breakfast - but would recommend Brasserie Europa, a two minutes walk left from the front door. This place stays open until the early hours.

The ambience in the hotel is reserved and rather quiet. As a lone business traveller I sometimes felt rather lonely. I think I would avoid staying here again if my visit was to be of more than 2 days' duration.

It is just the sort of hotel that my Mum and Dad would have loved but would have been a little in awe of.

The hotel is now owned by a major hotel group - The Taj group I think. I would imagine that they have plans up their sleeve to turn this imposing building into a truly grand hotel. The raw material is certainly all there.

Nice stay the Windsor

by TripAdvisor Member John_Perth_WA

I stayed at the Windsor in Melbourne for one night in Melbourne with my wife. We had a first floor room which was one of the larger ones - both the room and bathroom was very nice and above average size for central city hotels. The rate for the room size was very good.
The location is excellent near the top end of Colin St opposite Parliament House. As mentioned in some other reviews it is on the quiet side and decoration a little dated. It was interesting that we had a cocktail at the Sofitel which is nearby - we found it very cold in comparision to the Windsor. The highlight for my wife was the afternoon high tea which was very elegant and enjoyable.

Regal - Hotel Windsor

by TripAdvisor Member Hulinea

Our flight home was cancelled due to an engine malfunction - (good reason I say!) and we had to find somewhere to stay overnight. Melbourne was booked out due to the FINA World Swimming Championships however I was able to locate a room at Hotel Windsor for $320 brekky included overnight. Yes, its a very expensive hotel - but wowowowowow wasn't it worth it for the experience.
I am hoping my airline and/or my travel insurance will pick up the night's accomm.
I had a miserable few nights at Bayview on the Park just last week so felt the need for a better experience this time.
The service was phenomenal - from the Concierge, the receptionist, the bell hop, the waiters etc. Nothing was too much trouble. Turndown service was very nice as well as the complimentary upgrade from superior/king to Deluxe which included a sitting room area and a larger room overlooking Victoria's Parliament House.
Breakfast was the best experience - eating smoked salmon while observing what one could see of urban Melbourne was fun.
The ambience of the Hotel is reflective of the golden years - and I understand that it is going to be upgraded without losing that special atmosphere.
I would thoroughly recommend paying the extra money - go to wotif.com or one of those other sites and splurge!

Very Basic

by TripAdvisor Member BordyFerntreeGully

My wife and I stayed 3 nights over a long weekend. The Basic rooms are excatly that, very basic with a bath that only seems suitable for children or very short people.
A coat of paint wouldn't go amiss either.
I'm sure they have some lovely rooms but stay clear of the basic rooms, very much over priced in my opinion.

So disapponted....

by TripAdvisor Member silvathreads

I booked a superior twin room to take my Mother on a special holiday and chose the Hotel Windsor for it's grace and old world charm. Our room wasn't ready on arrival and once given our keys I was so disapponted with the shabby state of our room that I complained and with prompt and courteous service was given an upgrade to the Winsor Suite for the remainder of our four days. It was just delightful with beautiful views over Spring Street and Parliment House. We enjoyed a traditional high-tea served each afternoon in the dining room. This I highly recommend especially the scones and King Island cream. If you do stay here also have a drink at the Cricketers Bar on the ground floor...lots of intersting old photos. The hotel is ideally situated with easy access to the 'free' tourist tram out side the main entrance and a short walk to the city centre. The hotel is showing it's age but room facilities are good with a large bathroom/bar fridge/tea & coffee facilities and a pillow menu.

A Lovely Oasis of Calm

by TripAdvisor Member LynCanberraAustralia

My husband and I have just returned from 3 nights at The Windsor Hotel and loved every minute of it.

Stepping across the threshold of The Windsor is like stepping back into the grandeur of a time long past. You are greeted at the door by the doorman resplendent in his top hat and tails and enter the foyer, which is vast and welcoming.

We could not fault the welcome and the service that we received. We stayed in a Superior Room on the 4th Floor. The room had a walk-in wardrobe and beautifully appointed marble bathroom complete with fluffy bathrobes and Aveda toiletries. The bedroom was spacious, beautifully and traditionally decorated, spotlessly clean and exactly what we had hoped for.

We particularly liked the fact that upon returning to our room after dinner, the bed had been turned down and a bottle of water placed on each bedside table.

The Hotel is located on Spring Street, which is very central, and within walking distance to everything that this wonderful city has to offer. This is our second stay at The Windsor and would not hesitate in recommending this hotel for a stay in Melbourne. We will definitely return here again.

We recommend booking through Travelmate.com.au as they were able to secure the best rate for The Windsor Hotel.

Comments