205 Collins St., Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia

Expedia.com Westin.com Travelocity

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 5 star hotels

• Bob_Shan's Profile Photo

The Westin Melbourne

The hotel is located in the center - near Flinders station and Federal square, right on Collins street. It has a nice lobby, friendly staff.

However, the room is so so, and has only 1 restaurant - ***ing expensive and no taste. :(

Directions: Down town Collins street, near Federal square.

• Openseas's Profile Photo

A little piece of Paris.

The Westin – Melbourne.

Ideally situated in Collins Street in the upper “Paris end” this hotel is ultimately located for serious shoppers or threatre goers. It has all the pros of a five star hotel, lovely foyer, trendy building ,restaurants and cocktail bars. I have stayed in Melbourne numerous times due to business, and have tried most but not all…so what I have experienced is and know what becomes important, to other travelers is this.

1)Excellent position, you are in the heart of Melbourne.

2)This hotel has a very European feel or maybe it’s just the city.

3)The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, they even remember your name as you enter at different times of the day and night.

4)Our room 439, is not what we booked, it’s a deluxe room which overlooks the street with the falling Autumn trees with a small Juliet balcony.

5)I would only book a deluxe room or studio apartment, as our room is the size as an average hotel but extremely comfortable.(supposed to be an upgrade) It has everything you should expect in a five star hotel...without mentioning them. Nice little bars/ cafes and restaurants...in a classy and very trendy atmosphere.

6)Bathrooms are very elegant, stylish and roomy with all the modern cons.

7)The pool is indoor a lap pool with a gym, sauna and steam room. In summer this could be extremely annoying if you want to capture some sunshine. (the Langham Hotel is a better bet in summer, as they have a wonderful outdoor area.)

8)The staff are a credit to this establishment.

9)It can be noisy, if you have a balcony and choose to open them but then again I liked the sound of the trams. ..and city noises. somehow it reminded me of Paris (maybe it was the avenue or the trees).

10) My suggestions are to make sure you have a deluxe room or better still 8th floor up. Do not go below the 4th floor otherwise you will have wall views.

Unique Quality: It has prime position if you can afford it, just a few minutes walk to the shops, Federation Square, Flinders Station…it is really awesome for the position…

Directions: Five minutes to Flinders Station and a two minute walk to the CBD and shops.

• Tremendous, absolutely tremendous

What can I say? It's a Westin. It's everything you'd expect from a hotel chain of this calibre. The service is impeccable, the surrounds spacious and elegant (albeit a little ostentatious), and the location a dream.

The stay I had at the Westin Melbourne was nothing short of glorious. From the moment of check-in everything ran like a Swiss watch - it was just magic.

The rooms are spacious and very well appointed, with pretty well everything you could possibly need at your finger tips. Bathrooms have dual faucets and his/hers toiletries.

The hotel has a comprehensive business centre. There is a very well equiped gymnasium and spa/health facility on the premesis.

The Westin is highly recommended for business travellers (if you can get your company to justify the steep price). I'd imagine leisure travellers may get even more out of the Westin's facilities.

Unique Quality: Where to begin? Let me just say that there is nothing unexceptional about this property.

More about The Westin Melbourne

Best Location in Melbourne

by TripAdvisor Member jason5080

LOVED the Westin Melbourne. Checked in after a horrible stay at the Thala Beach Lodge in Port Douglas--left a day early to avoid the cyclone. Westin is tops--I was upgraded to a suite. The room had floor to ceiling windows, jacuzzi tub and was very spacious. Location is 1 block from the Federation Square which is basicly the heart of Melbourne. Commonwealth Games (almost like a mini-olympics) were going on so we were able to watch festivals right from the room.

Westin remains my favorite hotel chain

My husband and I spent four nights of our honeymoon at the Westin Melbourne. It was an amazing experience and we would definitely stay there again. The first night we stayed in a standard room, and the second we stayed in a deluxe suite with the spa bathtub. For me, the extra money was worth it just for the spa tub, but if you don't care about that, stick to the normal room. The deluxe was almost the same, just larger.
The service was amazing. They handled our room switch wonderfully. We also had reservations from three different sources, but they also had no problem dealing with that. Everything was taken care of.
The bed, of course, shower and tub were AMAZING. It's the reason I love Westin!!! The location was also great - and we walked right downstairs to see the Lion King at the Regent Theater.
Westin Melbourne really made our honeymoon memorable and I would not hesitate to recommend it to ANYONE.
MY only complaint is that room service is way too expensive - but hey, it was our honeymoon and the breakfast in bed was out of this world (get the pancakes :))

Overpriced inconsistency

I have spent hundreds of nights at all the best hotels of Melbourn. This hotel looks to have it all; central position, the heaven bed, and all the features of a great hotel. Yet everything about this hotel is badly executed. The pool is neither a true lap pool nor recreation pool. The rooms are well appointed, yet for one of Melbourne's most expesive hotels, very small and very lacking in features that are just part of your experience at the Park Hyatt or the Hotel Lindrum. The position of the hotel is okay during the day, being a short uphill walk from the Paris end of Collins Street, yet in the evening, the environs of the hotel are just dead. The hotel has a major identity crisis. On one hand, the lobby attempts to have the feel of a Hotel Lindrum, or a Como, yet on the other hand, the rooms are an attempt to compete with the Hyatts and the Sofitel. This lack of identity makes for service bordering on scrappy. However, just when I begin to hate this hotel, it charms me with a great piece of service or its wonderful beds that always please. I would highly advice people to get the idea of this being Melbourne's best hotel out of there heads. Where is the executive club? Where is the business centre? Where is the PROFESSIONAL service? If you want a real hotel experience in Melbourne that you thought you were getting from the Westin, go to the Park Hyatt. I you want something like the Como, the W in Sydney, or the Hotel Lindrum, go to the Como. The Westin is jsut not good enough. I love it when its good, but by goodness, more often then not, it's overpriced and a terrible experience.

Didn't want to leave

by TripAdvisor Member Herkdrvr

I'll keep this review short and to the point. The Westin in Melbourne was phenomenal and I'd go there again with no qualms.

My only gripe would be about their business center which never seemed to be open during their posted hours--perhaps a manning issue? Speculation on my part.

The room was immaculate, breakfast was amazing, the bed was comfortable, and as I mentioned...the service...impeccable.

A+ to the Westin.

Typically Westin -- a good thing

by TripAdvisor Member jkibler

Stayed at the Westin on Starwood points this past December and loved the room and hotel. The bathrooms are beautiful as are the clean lines/decor of the bedroom. Highly recommended, if you like the lux, hip (but large) hotel feeling.

Could have stayed forever

by TripAdvisor Member SuperSpy

Came for an extended vacation throughout Australia and stayed four nights on Starwood points. Front desk upgraded us voluntarily with a beautiful balcony room overlooking the main street. Concierge(s) couldn't have been more helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Gave us some great dinner recommendations. Printed out a whole bunch of maps and directions when they arranged for our rental car. This is the way a hotel should be run. Only complaint - the bathroom lighting is subdued and not good for putting on makeup - according to my wife.

All round very good hotel

by TripAdvisor Member Whatbob

Had king bed delux city view which was a nice size. The balcony was a bit small. Service was excellent and it was very very clean. City view was good but some other rooms seem to have wall views which I think would have been not good. No noise problems. A bit pricey but real comfort in a great location. I think the standard rooms may be less than you could get elsewhere in Melbourne but king/delux/city view is great.

Fabulous staff, great experience

by TripAdvisor Member anerlli

My husband and I spent 10 days at the hotel with our son while organizing his courses, accomodation, and many other details for his university program in Melbourne. The staff at the hotel was incredible- unfailingly helpful, useful, kind and supportive from concierge, front desk, to car jockey. The location of the hotel is terrific- lots of places and parks nearby for early morning runs and walks. The beds and washrooms were great and the rooms a fair size. It was a nice change having terrific local art (mostly photography) on the walls of the hotel lobby, halls, and rooms vs. reproductions.
The food ( both room service and restaurant) was very good.
This is the best Westin we have stayed in, and one of the best hotels ( Four Seasons included) for service. We will be back.

Comments