162 - 164 Commercial Road, Prahran, 3181, Australia
Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

More about Art Series - The Cullen

Beautiful, designer boutique style hotel, exceeding all expectations!

by TripAdvisor Member janinebuys

My partner and I travel constantly and stay in 5 star hotels all over the world. So far nothing compares to the Cullen. Everything was immaculate. The room was perfectly presented with high quality, gorgeous designer furniture, fantastic features and being self contained was an extra bonus. I was so surprised by the attention to detail. Nothing was missed. I would love to get hold of the interior designer and decorator to do my own place. It is the one hotel I would be happy to stay in for hours on end. It's comfortable, spacious and very functional. The location is great and there are parking facilities. The staff were very friendly, helpful and attentive. All in all a fantastic hotel which I look forward to returning to and would readily recommend to anyone.

Heavenly comfort yet sleek and cool

by TripAdvisor Member architastic

The Cullen is a refreshing new idea on the hotel scene that has all the creature comforts of the best 5 star hotel but with a quirky twist that is 'so' Melbourne. As visitors from Sydney, my friends and i were very impressed with this new Art Series concept that adds a new level of interest to staying in another city. Adam Cullen's brightly coloured artworks adorn the hotel and they are matched with a high level of interior finishes.

In my opinion, the best thing you can hope for in any hotel is that the bed is comfortable and the shower is decent. I can safely say that the bed is probably the most amazing bed i have ever slept on and the shower pressure is second to none.

The hotel is located in the Prahran fashion precinct which was perfect for me and my girlfriends to do some shopping and you can also get a tram right out the front of the hotel and it is only 10 mins into the city. Most importantly, the Prahran Market is right across the road where you can buy all sorts of amazing cheese, bread and olives (a must for us!)

The staff were very friendly and helped us with taxi's, maps and directions to get around Melbourne and the maintenance team responded immediately when one of our tv's wasn't working.

All in all, it was a fantastic place to stay and i would highly recommend it to anyone wanting a different hotel experience. Can't wait til the next hotel opens on Chapel St, will definitely be staying there next time around!

We came back - must mean something!

by TripAdvisor Member Cullenophile

This is our second stay at The Cullen in 4 weeks. The hotel is shiny new, and has every convenience. It's small and intimate, a fun place with funky decor and Max Cullen paintings everywhere (some of them prettyy way out!). This end of Prahran is buzzy with plenty of restaurants and the famous Market. The beds are dreamy and the staff go the extra mile. We love it (and this is not a paid ad!)

Faultless

by TripAdvisor Member Dale1978

In a nutshell, this hotel was perfect. I live out of a suitcase and I have to say this hotel was the find of the last few years. Everything about the place oozed class and cool. The staff were all young and enthusiastic to help. Their information was spot on and made my stay very enjoyable. The rooms had thick carpets and a floor to ceiling window. The bathroom walls were of frosted glass and along with the mirrors behind the bed created a very sexy atmosphere. Big thick towels and robes were supplied. The location of the hotel was also very interesting. Rather than the city centre, this hotel is located in the vibrant Prahan area of town which is full of bars, coffee shops and some great shopping. Taxis are everywhere and a trip to the city takes 10 mins and costs around 7 pounds.

A funky, punky and all round fun stay

by TripAdvisor Member Andy_PP

The hotel decore is something to behold and for those with an alternative bent or for those who enjoy something a little different then this will suit down to the ground. The art work, courtesy of Adam Cullen, is not for the faint hearted, but only the most conservative would let this bother them. The reception staff were extremely helpful as were the staff at the courtyard cafe out front. The rooms are very well appointed. The only disappointment was that the top bedside drawer had not been cleaned and a previous guests personal items were still there.

fab, funky & a perfect summary of Melbourne's culture!

by TripAdvisor Member ladyjacqs

Stayed here for four days and it was flawless. The room was fun and arty and i could feel Melbourne oozing from every inch! Had a balcony suit which i can highly recommend, it was nice to be able to chill out on the balcony in the afternoon. Staff were amazing, so friendly and gave some great tips. It was also so handy to jet into to the city on the tram aswell as to wander nearby Chapel St!

Simply inspiring

by TripAdvisor Member RubyRedCurls

I was very excited about the concept and I am glad to say the experience lived up to it.
I've stayed in grand big hotels, interesting quirky little boutiques and everything between, but this is the first time I would ever describe a hotel stay as inspiring".

We enjoyed every minute of our stay. The hotel service was the best I have ever experienced, mainly I think because you could tell all the staff genuinely loved being there. The interior design was clever, fresh and fun without overpowering the big star - the artwork.

I think the little things impressed me most, from the small canvas and paints we were handed on arrival, to the pile of Australian art books in the room and the very original and relevant "do not disturb" signs on the doors.

Having spent a lot of time in Melbourne, but more on the north side, the location was great for south side exploring. As well as Gertrude St a block or two away, Prahran Market across the road is worth a wander and don't miss the coffee at Market Lane on the other side of the market.

Looking forward to another stay sooner rather than later, and what else is in store in the Art Series!

Wished we'd stayed more than one night

by TripAdvisor Member obscene_pickle

The Cullen would have to be one of the best hotels I've stayed in. I love the very idea of it. You're basically staying overnight at a really hip gallery but with comfiest bed you'll ever lay your body on. It's in a great area - just a five minute walk from Chapel St but the room is nice and quiet all the same. The staff were lovely and helpful, our room was spotless, amazing designer furniture. The only real bummer is the price as it might be a bit expensive for most people, but you do get what you pay for. I also have to mention the curtains - once there drawn it's like midnight in there - fabulous if you want a nap or a sleep in!

A masterpiece in Melbourne - great staff and location

by TripAdvisor Member stef49

Stayed at The Cullen for a city getaway and couldn't fault it. The location is just off Chapel Street which is a great part of Melbourne with heaps of cafes, restaurants and shops. The staff knew the city really well and gave us tips on laneway tours, places to eat in the evenings and organised a Yarra Valley wine tour for us as well.

We were given one of the rooms with a balcony which we enjoyed in the afternoon sun watching the trams rattle up and down Commercial Road.

The #72 tram gets you to the city in around 10minutes, so if you're looking to visit the 'real' Melbourne then this place is a really nice alternative to your cookie cutter standard city hotel. Give it a try.

Oh, and I'm not actually an art fan at all, but the design and artworks are pretty cool too.

Beautiful boutique hotel with everything you need close by

by TripAdvisor Member missjojo17

We stayed at the Cullen hotel for my partner's birthday on Sunday night and found the whole experience gorgeous.

Firstly, they rang the day before to check our check in time and see if we needed parking reserved. This was lucky because I forgot to book parking and I've been caught out before but I've never received a call before arriving!

Anyway, we arrived to a most splendiferous foyer on Sunday afternoon. Jamie Cullen's art is a stand-out - you are greeted by a couple of cows which sets the scene.

The rooms are beautiful - small, but well kitted out and very cleverly designed. We were surprised to find a microwave and hotplate as well as a generous selection of art books to browse. ipod dock and flat screen TV were new and welcome. The bed was lovely and the linen exceptional. The bathroom design is very clever - we sneakily took a few photos because we're going to do something similar with a shower at home!

We booked to eat at the dumpling restaurant associated with the hotel and were surprised to find generous servings, awesome dumplings (as good as the nearby Chinese Tea House), reasonable prices and good service. It's a bit noisy at the front and next time we will ask for a table in the beer garden out the back. The private dining rooms looked beautiful.

All up - this was a wonderful stay that I cannot fault and it was a bargain to boot - we might have been on an introductory rate as it is new, but it was EXCELLENT value for money.

Comments