4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Bunker Bay Road (Off Cape Naturalist Drive) Bunker Bay, Margaret River, Western Australia 6281, AU

Pullman Resort Bunker Bay
Pullman Expedia.com Booking.com

Costs 51% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

• Openseas's Profile Photo

Impressive Hotel.

This resort is nestled by the gorgeous waters of Bunker Bay. To be fair to this review, I did not stay here, but spend the day at the resort. I am adding this review as additional information for other travellers whom are considering staying here.

The resort has a stunning swimming pool with exquisite oceanic views. The accommodation consists of tasteful eco friendly bungalows scattered through the gardens. Some are perched overlooking a man made lagoon, some have ocean views and others are simply hidden amongst the bushes.

The restaurant looked impressive, contemporary and stylish and the lobby equally fresh with a wonderful modern ambience. The resort is a short drive from Dunsborough close to Cape Naturaliste within the Leeuwin National Park. There is little around except the resort, so if looking for different alternatives for dining then one would have to drive into Dunsborough.

This region is superb for snorkelling and diving where there is a diversity of marine life around the reefs. Eagle Bay and Meelup are particularly beautiful safe swimming beaches. For bushwalkers there are some fantastic tracks, the most popular being the Cape to Cape track between Cape Naturaliste and Cape Leeuwin in the National Park.

Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse, which is approx five minutes drive from the resort, offers daily tours. If travelling down to Margaret River and the vineyards, I would opt to stay in Yallingup at the historic icon, Seashells Caves Hotel or the Yallingup caravan Park overlooking the ocean in one of their sea view cabins. This little village is a fabulous base for exploring the Margaret River region.

Unique Quality: If I decided to re do this route, I would drive from Perth to Bunker Bay and stay one or two nights. Then head to Yallingup and stay at Caves Hotel or at Canal Rocks Apartments overlooking gorgeous Smith’s Beach. I would use these two places as my base for exploring the caves, vineyards, beaches, and the National Parks.

For vineyards – Xanadu – beaut restaurant
    Evans and Tate – lunch up the road – Woody Nook
    Vasse Felix
    Sienna Estate – lovely restaurant

More about Quay West Resort Bunker Bay

Bunker Bay

by Kathrin_E

Bunker Bay is close to Cape Naturaliste, access is from the road to the cape (watch out for signs). It is a wild romantic rocky beach. Those twisted trees grow in amazing shapes and seem to ignore the law of gravity.

There is a holiday village further to the right which looked quite upscale from a distance - no idea about beach access over there. The beach with the trees, however, can be accessed free from the parking lot, it's a 2 minute walk down some stairs.

Stunning resort

by TripAdvisor Member blytheswood46

We took a short winter break at Bunker Bay and thought the resort was great. The photo's on the website dont do it justice. The resort is very sympathetic to its surrounds and the gardens are very well cared for by the looks of things. We had a 2 bed villa - the finishings of a high spec and the kitchen well kitted out - we cooked and ate in most nights. We visited the new Spa twice and found that to be gloriously relaxing. The food and beverage service is a little slow but all other areas of the hotels' service were a delight - nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast is a treat - bring your appetite! I would rate this resort very highly for its position right on the beach, its friendly staff and fantastic look and feel.

impressive hotel.

For vineyards – Xanadu – beaut restaurant
Evans and Tate – lunch up the road – Woody Nook
Vasse Felix
Sienna Estate – lovely restaurant

Great resort in a really top place to visit

by TripAdvisor Member LyndhurstPrahran

I stayed here with my family in early 2005 as part of a small conference. We were particularly happy with the resort as a family destination, with some minor quibbles

The Bunker Bay area is in fact about 30 km from Margaret River, so if you are planning on eating in Margaret River itself, bear this in mind. The whole area however is so spread out that no one hotel is near all the attractions. The Bunker Bay area is as nice as any.

The hotel is set back about 500 m from the beach, a short and easy walk. The beach itself is very nice, and was OK for my young kids to swim (they are however Aussies, and grew up in the surf, so dont mind waves). The grounds and pool area are excellent, well maintained and very stylish. The pool itself is a gem, infintiy edge 25 m pool at the top of the hill, with views out to the ocean (some distance away) and good pool side food/drink service. Some of the rooms at the bottom of the hill are near a 'lake' (read swamp) and looked less desirable to me. The room itself was a great free standing 2 bedroom suite, pretty well kitted out, but not much in the way of food prep. facilities. When you are a long way from anywhere, and the room service at night is 'OK' this could be improved on

The food was acceptable without being great. We ate out most nights and lunches (the surrounding wineries and restaurants are world class).

For those who have not been to the Dunsborough/ Margaret River area, I strongly recommend it. The travel for us from Victoria (bloody long way) was well worth it and we will return again. The Quay West is a great place to enjoy your stay.

Worth it for the Spa

by TripAdvisor Member Traveller, Auckland

I stayed at the resort for three nights in August, which, weather wise, is not the most hospitable time of year in Margaret River. Fortunately the resort is well set up for all types of weather. The rooms would be wonderful during summer, being large and airy, but have good heating so are cosy during cooler climes. The main building has a great deck with stunning views over Bunker Bay and is an ideal spot for breakfast or a wine in the sun. When it is cooler, the open fireplace is cosy and inviting and many of the guests congregate in the afternoons to read papers and books. The restarant did very good breakfasts and dinner, and I believe a new chef has recently been installed who has been well reviewed by Gourmet Traveller which bodes well.

The highlight of the stay was definitely the spa. I spent a wonderful day being scrubbed, oiled and massaged and floated out back to my room. Highly recommended.

One note - some of the earlier comments mentioned marked linens. The cushion covers in my room were clean, but stained. To the hotel manager - replace them!

Fantastic Location

by TripAdvisor Member Sarah2671

What a fantastic location to stay in for a relaxing holiday. The standard and the amenities are brilliant. The only thing that stops this place being in the excellent category is the restaurant. You need to make sure you book in advance for the restaurant as it is far too small for the size of the resort and the service is not exactly brilliant. Can't fault the bar meals and a short drive to Dunsborough will find you some good quality restaurants.

Exceeded our expectations !

by TripAdvisor Member goneout

We booked a garden villa and lake villa at the last minute for a 3 night stay over the long weekend on the internet for my son,his wife and myself/husband. We were very pleasantly surprised at how much better the resort looked compared to the photos on their website. The layout and horizon pool are fantastic. The architecture is very sympathetic to the beautifully tended native gardens and the villas are spacious, nicely decorated and clean. We preferred the lake view villa which felt lighter and brighter without the shrubbery at the window. You and your luggage are transported to your room via golf buggy, driven in our case by a very cheerful young fellow who hailed from Melbourne, 2 streets away from where we live ! Only small problem was he let us into our villa and we only discovered on returning from dinner and trying to get back into it that the key/card didn't work ! Two trips up to reception (up hill) before we realised we had been put into the wrong villa. Ah, well, helped work off some calories.
Speaking of dinner, we ate the first night at their only restaurant with mixed results. My fish of the day was superb, the 2 salmons ok, but the pasta dish was very bland..... Also the bottle of sparking wine we ordered turned out to be out of stock. We also found a bottle of desert wine ordered with coffee on our last night was unavailable, but were charged for it (discovered when checking out and deleted). The young waiter who served us was pretty inexperienced, didn't offer us any alternatives and seemed uninterested. He was, the only member of staff who wasn't pleasant and helpful.

Finally, the beach........what can I say ? It is absolutely gorgeous, white sand and turquoise water. Warm when we were there in March and we couldn't get enough of it !

Nice Studio - but service is terrible

by TripAdvisor Member Londoner29

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of my 3 week tour of Australia and was in need of some chill out time. The studio flat was modern looking and very spacious, however no assistance was offered and I had to make 2 x 10 min round trips to pick up all my luggage from the car, not much fun in the heat! Decided I needed to cool down and go for a swim in the pool and found there were no free sun loungers by the pool as it is rather small for the number of guests that the resort holds, so off to the beach I went which is gorgeous, away from the crowds.
The next day the cleaners came to make up the room, I asked if they could come back in 5 mins as I was about to leave and hey presto, they disappeared not to reappear. When I came back that night I rung up twice for some fresh towels that took over 50mins to reach me. The service in the restaurant and bar was not up to scratch, I ordered a beer which the waiter inital forgot, and then when I reminded him, I got a rather dirty look back from said waiter. Breakfast was not much better having to ask for a pot of tea a couple of times before it arrived. Overall the staff just did not pay enough attention to their jobs or to the guests.

Over priced and over rated

by TripAdvisor Member bigAl456

Value for money this place is not. We've stayed in far superior accomadation for half the price (rack rates too).

Apart from the vastly overpriced rooms (stayed in villa), the icing on the cake for us was the fact that we could not get into the resturant even though we were guests. After the long drive from Perth, check in and a toddler in tow, having to leave the resort (10km from closest town) to find something decent to eat for dinner was not an option. A letter is left in your room advising you to book your table early, but it's a little late when you check in late.

For the price you pay for this resort they should either give you priorty to the resturant, or a decent alternative and not a hamburger from room service. There is no alternative full stop.

We were booked in for 4 nights, but couldn't get out of there faster and left first thing the next morning.

Bad, bad, bad......

On a brighter note, the beach (like all MR beaches) was awesome.

Comments