560 Hay St, Perth, Western Australia, 6000, Australia

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• faridah's Profile Photo

Gloomy Miserable Place

The rooms are big and the location is great.Thats the only good thing about this hotel.
    This hotel is miserable,old,gloomy and depressing. Even after they upgrade me to a bigger room I still cant say anything good about it.
    This could be agreat heritage hotel with the right interior decor but all you get is the feeling of depression staying in this hotel.

They did not clean the carpets all through the 7 nights we were there. How do I know that? The sand that we brought in after sand boarding was still there the next night.

This hotel do not deserve a 3.5 star rating, should not have any star at all. This really is a gloomy place. Should only stay here for 1 night max.

*The pic attached are the room before the upgrade, aft the upgrade, I cant be bothered to take pics.It might look alright to you, just trust me ok.
    The breakfast are the same everyday.

Halfway through my trip I wanted to change hotel but couldnt get a hotel nearby as they were all full.
    Pay a bit more and go somewhere else.Serious!

Unique Quality: The lobby creaks everytime you walk.
    The lift is really really slow and small.
    There is this one particular lady at the front desk who tries her best to be rude and snap at the guests and I try my very best to smile and shower her with all the politeness I can muster up, it was fun. By the 3rd day, she gave up and my husband was surprised that she greets us with a half forced smile..And she was quite polite through my stay in a way that didnt kill her, guess we kind of reach an agreement.She should not be in this line. I have seen her snapped at guests and colleagues.

• lukluk_wal_marjan's Profile Photo

The remaining days in Perth...

We moved to Criterion hotel from Aarons hotel abt 10.30 in the morning of 25th Mar 2007. After giving the details of our reservation, we left our luggage in the hotel store since checking in can only be done at 2pm onwards. The staff was kind enough to allow us to do that and all was done very fast.

When we came back from Fremantle later that evening, we were whisked to the room & wallah...what a change in term of space compared to Aarons!

At the AUD98 rate per nite with breakfast for 2 pax, the room came with a queen & a single bed. Bathroom is bigger with sufficient toileteries. A dining table is provided with complete tea making facilities.

We were greeted with a fruits basket &a bottle of soft drinks - F&N orange...but the good hearted staff were caring enough when we asked to change it with Coca Cola :)

These are all a package offered by the hotel through its website. Originally, the drink is a bottle of wine but we requested it to be changed as we do not drink any alcoholic drinks.

TV & radio (cum alarm clock) are also available as our form of entertainment. Socket adapter is on loan & available from the front desk.

As for ironing, the steam iron & ironing board are provided upon request for as long as your stay there.

Internet services is available at the lobby and accessed is using prepaid card bought @ the front desk.

The breakfast spread is a bit limited. For the whole week, they only serve cereals, 1/2 boiled eggs alternately with scrambled eggs, bread, grill chicken wings & sausages, potato wedges alternately with potato hash.

So, its kind of bored to eat the same spread during our stay but we managed anyway.

Note: Pics courtesy of Haris

Unique Quality: The hotel location is superb as across the road there is travel agent who offered different kind of sightseeings packages. Bus stand no. 13 (Town Hall East Stand) for the free RED CAT is just accross the road. The Hop-on hop-off city tour tram also passes this road.

There's a bar on the lower level of the hotel. And oh yaa...u can redeem your welcoming drinks voucher at this bar.

Some of the tourist attraction e.g. Town Hall, Supreme Court, Swan Bell are within walking distance.

Last but not least the building is one of the treasured Perth heritage! It was built in 1842

Directions: Across the road from Town Hall on Hay St.

• inflight's Profile Photo

Less than meets the eye

I wanted a hotel room for my first night in Australia after a long-haul flight from North America. I chose the Criterion as I am quite a fan of the Art Deco style. The exterior of the building is beautiful, the staff is amazingly helpful but the room itself was pretty lame. Clean but uninspired.
    It is right downtown which was a bonus.

Unique Quality: Helpful front-desk staff. Late check-out.

More about Criterion Hotel Perth

Good Value Hotel in Perth

by bonnybridge about Criterion Hotel Perth

While certainly not the most exciting accomodation option in Perth, this place is a good value-for-money option in the city center. I paid AUD 60 for a double...

Comments