Edgewater Resort

The Edgewater Resort & Spa
Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

• Beachfront villa

We were upgraded from a garden villa to a beachfront villa at no cost and it was fantastic. The rooms are huge and very high standard of cleanliness. There is a veranda overlooking the beach and what a stunning view. This place was amazing. We went snorkeling directly in front of the villa. I would definitely recommend a beachfront villa if you're traveling with a group.

Unique Quality: Great views, great room, friendly staff.

• Very Stunning in Rarotonga

stayed in this hotel and we enjoyed every moments of it,very well maintained and cleanliness very approachable and fantastic staff specially in Bar and Serving staffs,they make us feel as we are
    among family type atmosphere.
    The beaches are kept clean but only downside was walking into sea for a swim had to walk accross
    reefs .
    The cleaners who had to do clean rooms were very friendly and easy going. we feel this so to put up
    our views of such.

Unique Quality: We were upgraded to seaside view rooms was the best as in evening you can view the SUNSET
    very stunning, while having a sip with friends in balcony
    Pools was beside the restaurant okay,but should have some privacy from staffs

Our suggestion to management have some sleeping HAMMOCK as well will boost place skyhigh
    Breakfast menu needs to change and different variety every second day

• Edgewater was awesome!!

I loved it at the Edgewater. It was just so carefree.

The staff were lovely, and helpful. They shared their knowledge and were always very approachable.

They provide activities which taught me some great tips, and inspired me to play the ukalele, take up weaving and get some Raro music to attempt the Hula (haha).

They have transport available, and a bus that picks you up for a small charge.

Its got an avis transport hire for bikes and cars.

I couldnt believe that the movies in the room were also good easy watching ones for a change.

I loved Rarotonga and the whole package of the country was just beautiful!! Recommended for sure!!!

Its close to great restuarants, track walks, stores and other little beach spots.
    Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!

Unique Quality: Relaxing

Whales

Happy hour cocktails

Activities provided

• Great value resort

I stayed at the Edgewater Resort in October and found that the staff were very friendly and the hotel itself had a great atmosphere. My room overlooked the beach and it was really nice. It was cleaned every day and we were very happy with the standard of accommodation we had.
    The beach was beautiful and floating around in the lagoon on a sunny day was pure heaven.
    We ate a few times at the hotel restaurant which offered a good menu and was not too expensive. We went to the Tuesday Island Night which was really great. The dancing and drumming is absolutely unbelievable...a real highlight of our stay.
    Rarotonga is an absolutely fantastic place to have a holiday. The people are lovely...and their culture is very interesting. There is lots to do on the island, the beaches are awesome and their are plenty of restuarants and cafes around the island, so you are never just stuck at one place.
    I would definately recommend going their and the Edgewater resort is a nice place to stay.

Unique Quality: The pool overlooks the beach and lagoon which is great.
    There is a nice lagoon side bar area and the sunsets are fantastic.
    Highly recommend the Island Night at the hotel.

Directions: On a beach, but only 5 minutes drive from the airport and Avarua township

• Edgewater Resort

We had a lovely stay at the Edgewater Resort. The staff were extremely friendly, always smiling and helpful.

Our housemaid, Ngere, was particularly good,and always left our room immaculately clean.

Food was good,and very well priced. The Island Night dance shows, on aTuesday and a Saturday are a must see. We went on a Tuesday night, but also watched a little of the Saturday night from outside. The food included all local dishes, and the dancing was something we have never seen. The girls in their grass skirts,and the boys were so energetic. Add the Cook Island drums, and it is a spectacular evening.

We look forward to returning next year.

Unique Quality: The beach is beautiful with excellent snorkelling right off the resort in the clear calm lagoon.

Pool is situated right on the beach, which gave us no reason to ever leave this area !!

The sunsets were absolutely magnificent and were certainly one of the highlights of our stay.

• 130guy's Profile Photo

Update Needed

Rarotonga is gorgeous unspoilt beauty, so don't let my report on one bad resort spoil your plans. The island itself is well worth a trip!!

The Edgewater Resort: I only spent 1 night at the Edgewater but it was enough. It was too bad, as the Cook Islands seem like the ideal locale to truly escape. I was on business so can't speak to much other than the hotel but the little I saw between airport and hotel looked peaceful and unspoiled.

The tone of the hotel experience was set when the front desk had no record of our booking in spite of faxed confirmation and we were left to stand for close to an hour while rooms were hunted down. Once I got a room I walked past heaps of garbage, up metal fire-escape type stairs to my room. Enroute I passed what looked like blood spots on the floor.

Inside the room I was greeted by basic furnishings, but less than clean surroundings. It appeared that the source of the blood had been in my room, with marks on the fridge and shower door. This just after the room had been cleaned. The bed sagged and blankets were thin (not a problem due to the heat mind you) with one of those great crinkly 1 inch thick pillows. The cups in the room followed a similar trend of un-cleanliness, and I touched as little as I could (I travel for a living, and can handle a fair bit of creepy crawlers, and the like).

Once out of the room and poolside things improved, with a lovely view of the ocean and a tidy pool area with mini-cabana's to escape a quick evening rain shower. The food in the hotel buffet was good and a variety of local cuisine was presented.

As always, I may have been an exception but the massive oversights in terms of grounds-keeping, cleanliness, bookings, and overall presentation leave me with a very poor impression of the Edgewater.

Unique Quality: Pool area overlook the vast ocean!

More about Edgewater Resort

Just OK

by TripAdvisor Member noostar

We stayed at The Edgewater for a week for a friends wedding. The rooms are old, but clean. The food is pretty average but reasonably cheap.

It was good to have the Budget Rentals place on site, and the bus comes right into the reception area.

The main problem is that it is REALLY noisy. Lots of big groups were staying and most nights people were partying outside until 2am most nights. We complained to reception one night when it got really bad, but they weren't interested at all.

If you are looking for somewhere budget, you'd be better going to Club Raro, which is a bit cheaper, the quality is about the same and the guests and staff are more friendly.

Our Second Home

by TripAdvisor Member RaroourSecondHome

Date Dec 2005/Jan 2006
Review: Kath & Ray
We first went to Rarotonga in August 2004 for just one week and stayed at Edgewater. We loved it so much we were back again in the December this time for two weeks. Our third visit in just 16 months was for our wedding in December 2005. We'd seen a couple of weddings taking place on the beach during our previous stays and decided that was what we wanted too. Christmas Eve 2005 at 3.pm we became Mr & Mrs.
Edgewater has all you need for a family holiday or if you're middle aged or elderly. Everything you need or want is on the resort. The staff are reticent at first but once they get to know you they're great, very friendly and obliging. The first two times we visited we booked a Beach Front room, the view of the Pacific was fabulous and the sunsets were stunning. Because we booked our wedding with Edgewater we were upgraded to a Deluxe Beach Front room, just as excellent as a Beach Front.
We love Rarotonga so much that if it was at all possible we would move there permanently. Any jobs going at Edgewater?
Here's to our next holiday there hopefully it won't be too far away.

For its price, it was ok

by TripAdvisor Member SilkStrawberry

The Edgewater Resort is quite ordinary. In my opinion, the best thing going for it was the airconditioned rooms. I wasn't expecting anything too fancy after reading the reviews here but I was quite disappointed with the wait staff and food in the restaurant.

We were upgraded from a Garden room to a beachfront room at no charge and not by request so this was a nice surprise. The room was spacious and clean, bathroom was very large (with a really great hairdryer); there were tea and coffee making facilities, a fridge (which had difficulty freezing anything), a safe and a balcony. Our room was kept beautifully clean and the surrounding garden was gorgeous. The pool is heavily chlorinated and the ocean in front is not that great for swimming because of the coral reefs. The hotel lends out reef shoes, snorkels, masks and towels at no cost which is great.

As mentioned before, the restaurant was well below par and while we ate breakfast there (part of the room cost) we ate our other meals at some great places around the island. If you didn't get to breakfast by 7.30am then you expected to have warm milk with your cereal! I might be being picky here but for breakfast I like a breakfast tea, like English breakfast or just plain Liptons, but they ran out of this by the Wednesday and were serving Earl Grey and Lapsong Souchang which, unless you are into heavily scented teas, is rather overpowering at brekky time. They ran out of butter several days and on some days you could only get white bread for toast. I know this is an island but the caterer needs to take this into account when ordering food stocks. In addition, the wait staff were quite lazy and not really interested in looking after you. They liked to stand around in groups to gossip. One morning, we looked after an elderly man who had very obvious tremors and difficulty walking by assisting him with getting a cup of coffee and juice and toast. He had shuffled past several of the wait staff and none offered him any assistance at all. Lunch-times were just as bad. We waited 20 minutes once to place an order - the place was not busy with about 6 people there. The menu offered Iced Coffee, but when it arrived it was tepid, and even upon sending it back, it took another 20 minutes to receive it back, again, at room temperature. Food was generally tasteless.

It was useful having a Budget rental office on the premises. There is also a laundry which was very clean, but expensive to use - $5.00 each for a wash and dryer and $1 for soap powder.

The staff at reception were always helpful.

I'd stay at Edgewarer again

by TripAdvisor Member lwross

I stayed at Edgewater for my Honeymoon in March 2007. I found the resort to be very good. I emailed Edgewater directly and informed them that it was my honeymoon and they said I could have a beach front deluxe suite for the price of a garden room. The price of the garden room is NZ$215 and the Beach front deluxe suite is NZ$335 so I was very happy for the special deal they offered me. If you want the same deal, ask for the honeymoon upgrade when booking!

The beach front deluxe rooms were excellent. they have a big bed and a little bed, small table and chairs and have a private balcony with outdoor furniture. Very modern bathroom with large shower and separate corner spa. Air con, TV and personal safe is also included. Views from the balcony were awesome!

Pool area was great with plenty of tables and chairs and lounges. There were never a shortage of furniture. Beach is good enough for a bit of a swim and snorkel but there are better beaches on the island.

Food at this resort was OK but not fantastic. you could have lunch for NZ$11-20 and dinner was from about NZ$20-30 per person. Drinks are $5 for beers, $6 for wines, $3 for juice, $4.5 for soft drink, $10 for sparkling wine and $5.5 for spirits & mixers. $15 for cocktails and $10 between 5pm and 6pm.

Resort is the largest on the island and was very well looked after. The gardens are beautiful and very well kept. Staff are very nice and happy to help.

Resort has budget car rental office on site and rents motor scooters for $21 per day and small cars for $65 per day. Everyone rides motor scooters and they are great fun.

Resort has a Spa on site too. My wife had 1 hour full body massage for $55 and said it was OK but the masseuse was a bit rough and resulted in a few bruises. They do a full range of treatments from waxing, hairdressing, facials & massage.

We had a side trip to Aitutaki during our stay and Edgewater stored our luggage for us as the small plane only allows 16kg per person. I would recommend a trip to Aitutaki as it is a beautiful place to visit.

Overall I would say Edgewater is great and would stay there again next time. Perhaps I am spoiled by the beach front deluxe rooms but I would not stay in any other type of room next time...they were fantastic.

It was hard to leave!!

by TripAdvisor Member cappee

My partner & I decided to get away from the busy life in Auckland for a bit of R & R. The only problem was that it was so relaxing we forgot to leave the resort to do sightseeing :)

When we arrived we weren't very happy with the studio apt as the only view was of the opposite units, so I went up to reception to see what could be done. Faster then you could say "Boy was it hot" we were being picked up and taken to a beach view unit. If you are looking for eye catching views then this would be the best option.

The service was great and it was the perfect place to wind down. You could do as much or as little as you wanted, such as from feeding the fish to pool volleyball or snorkelling in the crystal water. I would suggest that you hire a pair of reef shoes as it is rather rocky.

Overall we had a great holiday and plan to make The Edgewater our Easter pilgrimage.

Great Resort - Bad Spa!

by TripAdvisor Member ninja07

We stayed at the Edgewater as a family group of eight. Great snorkeling & swimming (beaches a wee bit rocky for swimming but ok). Restaurant & bar was good - staff are friendly & helpful. Rooms tired but clean & tidy. Certainly not posh but that suits us. Budget staff extremely helpful & conscientious - bikes were fun!
The SPA (!!??) was terrible - massage was less than average as an experience & therapist seemed bored & disinterested in his work. Pedicure was ok - waxing was a poor job & had to be re done. Certainly wouldn't recommend as a place to get great treatments. I FULLY recommend the South Pacific Spa in Tupapa - everything you expect from a day spa.

• Mar 16, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I loved staying at Edgewater Resort. We had a fab time and the Edgewater has it all. Everything is in the same place and the sea is right there. The staff are all friendly and if you need transport it is right there. Transport to and from your day excursions as well. I recommend the restaurant and the bar especially cocktail happy hour-primo. All fun is what we had and we will definitely will be going back. Shopping was the great.

• Jan 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Hi there, can anyone please tell me if they have stayed in one of the garden villa's? The 3 bedroom ones, after reading a few comments, am a little concerned that they might be budget! Any voices would be greatly appreciated =D