3.5 out of 5 stars3.5 Stars

Arorangi, CK, Cook Islands
Hotels.com Booking.com Expedia.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 3.5 star hotels

More about Rarotonga

Avarua and its landmark mountains.Avarua and its landmark mountains.

Makyla PalmsMakyla Palms

Aitutaki LagoonAitutaki Lagoon

Rarotonga airportRarotonga airport

Family Accomodation in Rarotonga?

Hi

we (2 adults, + one boy 8 years old)are planning to go to Rarotonga next year's July for a week of holidays. Is there anything you can recommend?(should not be the top end re pricing...)

Thanks

by Odinnthor

Thanks for bringing me back to the Cooks....d:o)

Really only familiar with the really good ones, but we can work this. I have stayed in a couple of these, and have toured some of the others. (As a five star tour director, they always wanted to show me their properties...)

I know the Royale Takitumu Villas and the Rumours Villas, both great properties but a bit pricey. Look at the link below. All the good properties are listed, and the price ranges are on the right. Ot the three least expensive, the Makayla Palms is pretty nice, and the Sunhaven is not bad, and the Sunrise Beach I do not know. Most of the others in between the Takimutu and Makayla prices are just fine.

Hope this helps a bit......d:o0

by claudia40

Thanks a lot for your quick answer!

I was obviously typing a bit too fast - I actually wanted to know, if there is any accomodation you can recommend, not a sightseeing point. I had a look already at some appartments and the big resorts, but I would appreciate any recomodations from somebody who actually stayed there.

Cheers

by Odinnthor

I was not sightseeing. I have stayed at the first two. The others, as I pointed out, I "inspected" the properties without actually staying there. "Inspected" meaning, to see if they were up to par with what my tours needed. They were not, but for the price, I think I know the Cooks well enough to reommend the Makayla. As a professional that inspected hundreds of properties all over the world, I can pretty much tell what is wrong, if there is anything wrong at all.

.....or just wait for someone who has stayed in what you are looking for and take their advise.

by Odinnthor

...still puzzled over your sightseeing point comment, unless you mistook the names of the hotel properties I mentioned as sightseeing points......

Hi Odin...

sorry, I had been away for some days. I didn't mean you with my "sightseeing"-comment, I wanted to refer to the first guy who answered my question and started with things that you should see there like the Parliament building.

Sorry to have puzzled you! But while I was typing my answer, you posted your and so it crossed.

Thank you for your tips, they are appreciated. I am still in my very beginning with planning so it will take me some more time to follow up with your tips.

Never mind

by Odinnthor

Claudia, sorry to misunderstand your comments. I basically overlooked the first response as it did not tell you anything, really.

My apologies for that mistake. I should have paid better attention. By all means come back for more info as you get further in your planning. Let's start over.....d:o)

Travel Tips for Rarotonga

Larger Ladies Will Love Raro!

by Crowblog

Larger-size women who dress modestly will find a wealth of admiration in the Cooks - skinny bikini-wearing women do not attract the local gentlemen, who find them unattractive.

Ladies, believe me - I'm not joking about this! Or overstating the case. They like their women zaftig. Feeling horrid or unattractive because you're not a successful dieter? Need some R&R from a stressful work life? Go to the Cooks for a romantic vacation! And, the more plump, the more beautiful.

When asked about your family, or number of children, be sure to be complimentary. Don't complain about your relatives, and feel free to mention how many children you've had - as you might not in a normal dating situation. A large, attractive modest woman is a sure hit! Have fun dating and dancing. ~~

Boat Harbour

by DONBURGESS

The main boat harbour is only very small, its home to the Cook Islands Navy, they only have one ship but at lest its real. The harbour is also home to many yachts that travel from all over the world to visit the Cook Islands. The local transport ships also dock here, they travel between the outer islands carring cargo and passangers
The local fishing charter companys are also based here at the harbour so all yo uhave to do is wander down later in the arfo and book a spot.

Local language

by SWFC_Fan

As well as English, the other official language of the Cook Islands is Cook Islands Maori (also known as Rarotongan).

For those that need a quick recap on their Rarotongan, here are a few words that will likely come in handy during your stay in the Cook Islands:

Hello - Kia orana

Goodbye - Aera ra

Yes - 'Ae

No - Kare

Happy - Makaora

Today - Teia ra

Tomorrow - Apopo

Sun - Ra

You will find that most people in the Cook Islands are very "makaora" and that the "ra" shines brightly most days!! :-)

It is a sad day when you have to say "aera ra" to this wonderful country!! :-(

Don't worry......all signs and menus are written in English!

Great place for activities

by salisbury3933

Rarotonga is a great place to get out there and do heaps of snorkelling, kayaking, swimming and diving.

Snorkelling and diving are particularly good given the variety of fish, the beautiful clear water and the reef. This can be hired, but with a lot of the resorts, the equipment is free if you are staying there.

Walk to the Top

by DONBURGESS

Well there's a few island walks that you can do, the best would be across theisland from onesideto the other, need to be of a fari fitness.
Take lots of mozzie replent with and some water, wear solid shoes as well.

Comments