Muri Beach, Avarua, Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Booking.com Hotels.com Travelocity

Costs 76% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• BurgerQueen's Profile Photo

Excellent, from all points of view.

We loved staying at the Pacific Resort Rarotonga.
    We are not very familiar to resorts, but I think this accomodation was the best solution on the island. After touring around a little bit, we awarded Muri Beach as the best beach on the island, and the Pacific Resort is located just in the middle of this wonderful beach.
    Our lovely room was always very clean and well kept. Excellent tropical breakfast with a large variety of fruits, and perfect restaurant for dinner on the beach. A nice bar is also available for snacks at any time. The animation team is not stressing :)
    We saw lots of couple enjoying their honeymoon here (as we were), the atmosphere is very romantic indeed.

More about Pacific Resort Rarotonga

Wedding at the Pacific Resort Rarotonga

by TripAdvisor Member upendo

We got married at Koromiri Motu in November and it was a dreamlike experience. A totally low stress way to get married, you only need to make a few decisions and they do all of the work. We came to the Cook Islands with 24 guests, most stayed at the Pacific Resort.

The gardens were fabulous and made a great spot for pictures. The flowers were arranged through a florist very close to the resort. The staff was excellent and went out of their way to make our trip special. There was lots to do at the resort, especially for the kids (6,4,1) and Muri Lagoon is a great, safe beach for families.

We had people in a variety of rooms. By North American standards they were expensive for what you get but that is the same for pretty much anything in the Cook Islands we found. You pay for the location and the beach and we felt it was worth it. We don't tend to spend much time in our room on holidays so they were fine.

The complimentary breakfast was a good start to the day. The food, although expensive, was good. We went to an island night and enjoyed the food and entertainment. We got several compliments from our guests about our wedding meal which was a buffet.

We went to Aitutaki and Atiu for our honeymoon. The Pacific Resort kept our bags and offered us a room free of charge for the 10 hour layover on our way home. It was really nice to have the space to relax in, repack and shower before our big flight home and to see the staff who had made such a memorable experience for us.

Right on Muri Lagoon

by Tusitala about Pacific Resort Rarotonga

They've got the atmosphere just right here ... a blend of size and scale, and island charm and efficiency. A great management team comprising locals and internationals ensures that everything is just so.

Villas have huge bathrooms, high ceilings, and plenty of privacy in little courtyards at the rear.

Breakfast is served on the sand of Muri Beach, looking out to the motus and reef. Or another open-sided restaurant behind, built over a pond oasis.

Highly recommended. Want to paddle out on the lagoon? Grab a kayak and go. Or just laze on the deckchairs already laid out for your benefit.

Pool is fairly small, but great for kids, amid a lush tropical oasis.

Internet access.

The best way to enjoy the...

by Clive_Karen

The best way to enjoy the nightlife of Raratonga is to join in on the Nightlife tour from the Edgewater Resort. Mac and co. will make this a night to remember. It starts out low key and just gets better as the night goes on. Anything goes as long as clothes are worn.

You gotta Scoot!

by RogerW1nz

This has to be the most fun you can have - driving around Raratonga in a Scootcar. We rented one for a day, and had a ball. They've easy to drive, but don't forget you need a Cook Islands Driver Licence - obtainable from the Police Station in Avarua for $10. No test necessary!

Don't Stay Here!!!

by TripAdvisor Member pcboyer

Whatever you do DO NOT stay at the Pacific Resort Rarotonga. In fact, if you are thinking of staying in Rarotonga at all, please reconsider. Our accommodations were were in horrible condition. There was a musty, mold smell to our room. The bathroom was disgusting. There was no TV in the room to pass time when it rained. The grounds were very poorly kept and the beaches were not very nice at all.

Bottom-line...this place is a dump. Don't stay here. If you're going to the Cook Islands, do not stop in Rarotonga. Go directly to Aitutaki.

It was okay....

by TripAdvisor Member roaming_review

If you are going to Rarotonga and have investigated the options but not sure which side of the island, definitely stay on the Avarua side. The island is surrounded by reefs, pristine waters but the opposite side is very rocky and unswimmable. In front of the Pacific Island is quite good - particularly if you have children, as it is safe swimming and pretty good snorkelling which may gain their interest.

(Better snorkling at the Rarotongan)

As for the hotel itself, it really depends on the room you choose. I went over for a friends wedding (at the resort) and they all stayed in the beachfront suites (which were great!). As I was the single one, I chose to stay in one of the poolside rooms. Considering that I was still paying $400(AUS) a night, I assumed that it would still be a pretty decent room. Let me just say, I have stayed in nicer rooms in Dubbo for $65 a night! I certainly was not expecting the Park Hyatt but was still very disappointed considering what it was costing me per night. The room was ok... it was clean and the bed was comfortable but it was very old and very basically furnished. Admittedly, from an accommodation point of view, I felt completely ripped off!

There are no TV's in the poolside rooms but there is only 1 channel that operates from 9am-6pm. If you want TV (even if it is raining)while you are on a beautiful island, perhaps you should consider going somewhere else closer to home. The scenery is beautiful, particularly the mountain back drop, the little island in the lagoon (where my friends got married) the surrounding reefs and prisitine waters. The beaches were very nice and clean, as were the grounds of the resort - very well kept.

It is an expensive place to travel to in the first place. What you get for the money, I wouldn't spend the money to go back. The people are so genuinely nice and friendly - VERY laid back! If you are after glamour and glitz... Cook Islands is not the place for you.

Nice Island, OK accommodations

by TripAdvisor Member malori213

My husband and I stayed at the Pacific on our honeymoon. Location was good, really enjoyed Rarotonga as a whole, but the accommodations were just OK for the price. Our room was right on the beach, but had a musty smell and moldy feel, and wasn't the Honeymoon suite I had envisioned. We also stayed on Aitutaki and LOVED the Pacific there- if I had to do it over again I'd stay more nights at that resort and less here. The inclusive breakfast was just a continential and after a week of it I got really bored/tired of the same old food (I'm lactose intolerant so there was very little to choose from). On Aitutaki at the Pacific, hot breakfast is included, so you get your money's worth. Scooter rental should be included as well but it's not. If you go to Raro, go to Sails for dinner and the Flame Tree...awesome awesome food. Liked the Cook Islands but they are spendy, I'm told Fiji is cheaper, but the people are super nice on the Cooks.

Pacific Resort a disappointment

by TripAdvisor Member skink

We stayed at the Pacific Resort in March 2007 for three days in a poolside room and were pretty disappointed with the place. The weather was bad (lots of rain) and the hotel made zero effort to provide alternative activities to take into account the inclement conditions. The one television in the place, in the lobby, was not plugged in so you couldn't even catch the news. Also, there was only one internet terminal available and it was a dial up and incredibly slow and expensive. They had a few board games but only one of each type so if it was checked out you were out of luck. The hotel also made no effort to accommodate those seeking a late check-out (all the flights leave the Cook islands late at night). The place is fairly expensive and really does little in my view to accommodate its guests.

Dont Miss Happy Hour!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member redbrickcafe

We had a fantastic stay, the resort made us feel welcome and could not do enough to ensure we were well taken care of.
The wonderful room service, reception area, bar and resturant were first class! ( not forgetting the beach hut guys!!!).
Thank you Poke, Grace, Bernie, Nga and everyone else who ensured our stay was the most relaxing and fun time ever!!!!
When we return we would not even bother looking for any other accomadation choice as after looking around the Island we are sure that we were in the best resort with the best staff and the best location!!!!!!!
We cant wait to come back and lay on the deck chairs sipping our cocktails!!!

Relax'n in Raratonga

by Kaglis

This beautiful island was quiet, quaint and far away from the hustle-bustle of so many other islands.

Just beware of the cockroaches, the size of small birds, that may be in your simple accomodations (such as those I frequented on my limited budget).

The only blue sky I saw on Raratonga taken from TrThe only blue sky I saw on Raratonga taken from Tr

Raina Lagoon VillaRaina Lagoon Villa

Another beach in RarotongaAnother beach in Rarotonga

Could you get me another cocktail please :)Could you get me another cocktail please :)

Rarotonga Beach Resort OR Pacific Resort Rarotonga

by sydgirl

I am thinking of going to the Cook Islands for my honeymoon next October...

I am tossing and turning with which resort we should choose.

Which resort has better:-

Rooms
Better beach
Nicer food
Pool

Any information on either resort is much appreciated.

by RogerW1nz

Hi sydgirl.

Check out my Raro page. I recommend Sunrise Beach Bungalows. It is not a resort, but has a nice swimming pool, and would be heaps cheaper than one of the resorts. And the hosts are really nice too. You could still go to one of the resorts for a meal. We went to the Edgewater and had a really good night. Rarotonga is so small it takes only 40 minutes to circumnavigate the whole island.

Check out http://www.ck/ for more info on the Cook Islands.
cheers
Roger

by Perthgerl

I am not sure how much these places cost, but if its in your budget, consider Aitutaki - another of the Cook Islands. It is really beautiful and they have gorgeous low impact resorts - stilt huts on the water.

If you choose to stay on Raro, then at least take a day trip to Aitutaki. I would even suggest you stay in a cheaper place in Raro, so that you can afford the trip to Aitutaki. Just flying in and out of the island is breathtaking.

On Raro, I stayed at the Little Polynesian (our honeymoon). It was not five star resort style, but it was beach house style comfy, metres from the beach and there were free coconuts and bananas stacked up outside for guests to eat. There was also free use of canoes and snorkel gear (they are on the web).

by LordBalfor

This really will depend on your budget (which you do not mention).

Overall the Rarotonga Pacific Resort is generally considered to be the most upscale resort on Raro. Note that it's not really all that upscale at all but actually more "middle of the road". There is no real upscale resort on Raro. Fanciest place I know of are the Reflections villas (very, very nice indeed).

Rarotonga Pacific Resort is a a very beautiful location though and is a "full-featured" resort.

On Aitutaki, once again the Pacific Resort is tops - but this place really is top of the line (with prices to match).

Tell us what your per/night budget is and perhaps we can give you a bit more detailed info.

Ken

by LordBalfor

Also, just so you know - the Rarotongan is more or less considered a "family" friendly place. More kids there, less upscale. Nice sunsets (Pacific Resort on Raro has sunrises). Rooms will likely be better at the Rarotonga Pacific Resort. Neither has a great pool, but the nearby lagoon offers terrific swimming.

Ken

budget accomodation in raratonga & aitutaki

by anna2002

can anyone tell if there are any budget hotels on rarotonga which allow you to stay 1 nite only & how much it is? Also I will spend most of my holiday on Aitutaka & am looking for budget beach hut accomadation preferably with own bathroom for a romantic break with my partner any recommendation? cheers

by brotherleelove

RE: RE: budget accomodation in raratonga & aitutaki

by brotherleelove

Sorry, I just realized they have a 2-night minimum.

by chinagazer

For Rarotonga have a look here: http://www.ck/budgrar.htm
Muri Beach Cottage gets a lot a positive reviews.

For Aitutaki: http://www.ck/aituthot.htm.
Not listed but worthwhile to check out for budget accommodation is the Paratrooper Motel in Amuri on Aitutaki: tel. 31563.

RE: RE: budget accomodation in raratonga & aitutaki

by Elgreco77

We stayed at Vara's Beach House in Raratonga. THey have separate rooms as well as dorms. Right on the beach

by Joolyjay

Hi there! I spent a week on Aitutaki in August 2005 with my girlfriend on our Round The World Trip. We stayed at Matriki Huts which are NZ$65 per night for double occupancy. If you can get the single hut on the beach, this sounds exactly what you are looking for. It is a very basic "Robinson Crusoe" hut slap on the beach. It has a little outdoor shower. Fridge. Burner. And a great little veranda for watching the sunset. Also we saw humpback wales breaching on my birthday which was pretty special! Here is the website http://www.matriki.com Hope this helps. Feel free to email me if you need any more help.

Romantic getaway

by kirstylm

I'm trying to find a nice romantic accommodation for November, preferably in Aitutaki, but otherwise Raratonga. Can anyone help me?? Even just a nice decent place to stay!
Thanks :-)

Re: Romantic getaway

by chinagazer

For something romantic and quite isolated, have a look at the Tangikaara Beach House on Aitutaki: http://tangikaara.com/index.html

We stayed there last year and loved it so much.
This is what I wrote about the house before:

If you need more luxury, try Etu Moana, but for November they might already be fully booked.

Comments