The Rarotongan Beach Resort And Spa

Satisfaction Average

Rated 11% lower than similarly priced 4 star hotels

• salisbury3933's Profile Photo

Great Resort

The real attraction of this place is the lagoon itself and the variety of activities on offer. The rooms themselves are fine without being outstanding, but nobody goes to Rarotonga to hang out in their hotel room!

The service itself is pretty good, with friendly and helpful staff.

All the activities are included in the price, and so we spent a lot of time on the kayaks, snorkelling, and a bit of tennis as well.

It's a great place to just go and relax.

There's a bar and restaurant attached, neither of which are especially cheap, but they are convenient if you are staying in the resort.

• Larnie's Profile Photo

Heaven by the Sea

The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa is the Cook Islands' signature resort. Here, modern comforts blend with the charm of traditional Polynesia to add up to perfect relaxation on the beach. The Rarotongan is renowned for its warm and friendly Cook Islands staff with open hearts and smiles.

Set on Aroa Beach, one of Rarotonga's most beautiful white sand beaches on the shores of Aroa Lagoon (the Lagoon of Love), The Rarotongan is located on the island's sunshine Southwest coast where guests can enjoy all-day sun, stunning sunsets, all-tide safe swimming and excellent off-beach snorkelling in the traditional marine sanctuary directly in front of the resort.

More about The Rarotongan Beach Resort And Spa

Rarotongan Beach Resort - A touch of luxury

by easterntrekker about Rarotongan Beach Resort

This is a fabulous resort , with 156 rooms. It's really beautiful with lots of thatched roofs...and the wonderful sands of Aroa Beach on the south western tip of Rarotonga.
It's a little pricey though...for the Cook Islands!!

We went there for island night and it was the best!! Food is terrific.

The Rarotongan Beach Resort

by catalysta

I got a fantastic deal with Canada 3000 on staying here for 12 nights, but unfortunately that tour outfit was a casualty of 9/11. Ordinarily I choose much smaller & more intimate inns or B&B's than this. It is a full resort, with all the amenities, and everything is priced accordingly.

So I strolled down the road or motor-scootered elsewhere for meals. In exploring further, I decided I'd likely consider Muri Beachcomber, if I were to go again (which I'd like to do!). The resort is located in a great spot on Aroa Beach, with excellent snorkeling right outside your door. If you do stay there, it's well worth upgrading to a beachfront room , I was so glad I did. Sleep with your patio doors open, and let the sound of waves rhythmically pounding the reef and palm fronds rustling lull you to sleep.

The Rarotongan is also reknowned for its Wednesday & Saturday night traditional island Umukai Feast, a fabulous array of foods cooked in an "umu", or underground oven. Stuff yourself silly while you watch the erotic & enregetic traditional Cook Island dancers.

A huge menu and great food!

by worldkiwi about The Rarotongan Beach Resort

On our first night in the Cook Islands, nobody felt like cooking, so we walked down to the Rarotongan Beach Resort for dinner. We happened to catch barbecue night. For $36 one could feast on the BBQ buffet. There was a nice range of salads, soft, fresh, mouthwatering bread rolls and BBQ fish steaks, lamb, and succulent island pork. It was all delicious. The desserts were also yummy! I loved the coconut cake.
The a la carte menu was extensive and, I thought, very well priced for a resort. My friend had a delicious island style fish'n'chip meal, with fried arrowroot and taro chips! I tasted a bit of her dinner and it was good! To top everything off there was a show after dinner with modern takes on Rarotongan music. It was a very nice evening and a great way to start out holiday!

Great Island experience

by TripAdvisor Member resorthopping

Before we started our honeymoon plan, we were considering FIJI. Finally, through the website we found the Rarotongan Beach resort this wonderful place. We ended so happy with the right desicion.

Rarotonga is beautiful and the rarotongan beach resort is the best spot on the island.

We stayed in a tropical style bungalow, which they call honeymoon bungalow. It's a very private bungalow with a swimming pool and supprisingly it also has a suna room.

We have a big Plazma TV and there are free movie channels. I liked the island style decor in the room. asked the housemaid, she told me that is tipani or whatever soulds like this.

We witnessed how ammazing the coconut tree climbing is. The coconut man picked up the coconut from the tree and husked it for us. We drank it. it's sweet and fresh. Great!

Beach is great. The water is amazingly clean. We loved snorkelling there.

watched the island drum dancing and fire dance. Couldn't believe their bum can spin that fast and even by a little girl. very exotic.

A wonderful place to have the pacific island experience.

Not a 4 star

by TripAdvisor Member Cretey

We recently spent 5 nights at the Rarotongan Beach Resort.

The accommodation from the website and travel agent brochures looks quite traditional and lovely - this is not the case. Most of the rooms are situated in motel style blocks. Rooms are nice and clean inside...except we had little crawling bugs over the counter top.

The cleaning of the rooms happens later in the day - we would go out for the day and expect to have our room serviced by our return and it wasn't. We often chose not to have our room serviced as at 5pm, we wanted to stay in the room.

We made a few calls from the room and the rates are atrocious - $8/min to call the UK!

The std of food was very disappointing. Meals were overpriced for the quality and the room service selection was limited.

We would not stay at this large resort again.

Island Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member Raro4ever

I have read the reviews of this Resort and I am amazed that there were quite a few bad ones. My husband and I have stayed at the Rarotongan 5 times and were quite happy every time. The rooms - Junior Beachfront Suite and Deluxe Beachside Suite - are terrific, the staff are very friendly especially the guys in the activities hut. The beach is beautiful and the snorkelling amazing. We are returning in March 2007 and we can't wait to get back to our tropical paradise

There are better resorts

by TripAdvisor Member AussieTravelAgent

We stayed for a week at the Rarotongan Resort in late August 2006.

We had a beach front room (downstairs) and enjoyed being able to walk from the room to the waters edge when it wasnt raining. The room was pretty basic but the bathroom was in a poor condition especially for the price you pay.

Resort grounds were nice, as was the pool and staff. The big plus is the nice beach which offers great snorkling and swimming. If you want a beach that is away from the resort a short walk along the road (towards town) brings you to another nice long stretch which is a little quieter.

The restaurant at the rarotongan had a good menu but the food was not the best quality for the price. We hired a moped and went to different restaurants each night. Jack Traders in town is a good place for a beer and seafood and even the Indian restaurant was good as was Lime Cafe and Windjammer (in front of the Crown Resort)

being a travel agent we checked a few other hotels are by far the best two on the island was the Crown Resort or the Sunset Resort although not sure how prices compare.

Not Recommended - there are better

by TripAdvisor Member Brurphy

OVERALL: Terrible experience. As a hotel sales manager of many years and married to an airline manager of one of the world's best carriers I've stayed in MANY hotels of various categories. It appeared to me that this hotel has many problems to address including importantly, the lack of a staff culture. None of the staff seemed happy, nor willing to talk to guests with the exception of 1-2. Based on our experience at the Rarotongan Resort I would not be able to recommend this hotel to any of our friends or family. What was to be a wonderful girls 9 days away began as a total disaster.

BEST TIME: the General Manager approving the refund of the remaining 6 days pre-paid accommodation and our move to another hotel

ROOM: NZD400 per night. Beachfront deluxe category ground floor. Poor value for money. We booked a 9 day stay but moved to another hotel after three days of both being bed-bound with severe Gastroenteritis. Room size adequate but dark, cleanliness average. Bathroom sufficient but could do with an upgrade. Shower blocked and overflowed onto floor. Fixed but reblocked in our three days. I noted a piece of rubbish paper lay beside the toilet for the 3 days we stayed. Housemaid washed our cups and glasses in the bathroom handbasin! Enough.

FOOD AND BEVERAGE: I shudder just thinking about it. People at other tables were talking about adults and children being "unwell" also, so it was apparent ours was not an isolated case of food poisoning. We only used NZ bottled water for all needs. Food service was very slow even allowing for holiday mode. A long 40 minute wait to be served at the bar (one barstaff only) and about 15 agitated people waiting to be served. Cocktails looked glam but time consuming.

POOL: It was small, looked dirty and uninviting and lacked privacy from restaurant. The big ocean pool looked beautiful from the hotel deck.

SECURITY AND NOISE: We were woken at 3.00am by drunken/foul mouthed adults partying on the beach outside ours and other guestrooms (staff of a NZ Radio Station group). I phoned security twice before any action was taken about 25mins later. Other guests also complained about the night noise that was left uncontrolled. Second night a group of young kids were running up and down the stairs, yelling, laughing and talking loudly somewhere around 2.00am. No sign of parental guidance. Third night we were woken at 3.00am as people arrived off a flight and checked into their room near ours. Kids and adults both speaking loudly or yelling instruction to each other and the baggage handler/security staff.

Entrance to The Rarotongan Beach ResortEntrance to The Rarotongan Beach Resort

Rarotongan SundownRarotongan Sundown

Rarotongan languageRarotongan language

Rarotongan roadsignRarotongan roadsign

Any recommendations on all inclusive hotels/resorts

by sayoungws

Does anyone have a recommendation for a nice all inclusive hotel/resort in the Cook Islands? Thanks for your time.

Re: Any recommendations on all inclusive hotels/resorts

by chinagazer

There are a couple of small resorts on Rarotonga and Aitutaki, but none offer all inclusive packages.

Re: Any recommendations on all inclusive hotels/resorts

by ruthdes

Hi.

I stayed at the Rarotongan Beach Resort in May. It isn't all inclusive, but you do get breakfast. The snorkeling right out the front of the resort is fantastic as it is one of the no fishing zones. The rooms aren't brilliant, but they're clean and comfortable. They just need some updating (I stayed in a garden view room, the more expensive ones might be better). The resort is on the south side of the island, and I found hiring a car to be the best way of getting around - there is a bus but car is more convenient.

I would definitely go back to the Rarotongan Beach Resort.

Hope this doesn't come too late to help.

Comments