Titikaveka, Cook Islands
Booking.com eDreams

More about Makayla Palms

Absolute bliss!!

by TripAdvisor Member JazNewZealand

We have just returned from a week of pure bliss at Makayla Palms on Rarotonga. The one bedroom villa was perfect for the two of us and came fully self contained, even with it's own BBQ on the deck! The villa is about 20 steps away from the most pristine beach and lagoon on Rarotonga. We fell in love with this beach and found that most days we had it completely to ourselves.
Our hosts John and Rachel were just the best - from giving advice on the best places to eat to Rachel's yummy home baking which we found on our doorstep throughout the week. Overall we have absolutely no hesitations in recommending Makayla Palms for the most perfect and relaxing holiday, and we look forward to returning soon.

A surperb holiday in paradise

by TripAdvisor Member nakimarsh

Makayla Palms is an outstanding place to stay in Rarotonga. The studio was outstanding. New, fully equipped and our hosts had even ensured the basic essentials and home baking were there to welcome us. John and Rachel exceeded our expectations in service and friendliness.

John and Rachel and the M Palms studio made our holiday unforgettable. We look forward to returning one day in the near future. If you are thinking of staying in Rarotonga we recommend M Palms. It is value for money, new, clean, close to restaurants, and beautiful beaches etc.

We will be telling all our friends and family about the great place we stayed. We really appreciated how accommodating John and Rachel were. We also feel lucky with picking such a great spot for our tropical holiday!

Brad and Robyn

A Home in Heaven!

by TripAdvisor Member mommayenta

Having decided to embark on a South Seas adventure on my own for the first time in my life I could not have chosen a better place to start and finish my vacation. John and Rachel took me under their wing and treated me like family, a sentiment I heard repeatedly when exploring this place. Their 2 villas are very clean and modern, it's very private and they are but a few steps to a stunning white sand beach, which many times I had to myself. As I went for the purpose of relaxing and solitude, this was the perfect place to be. Everything that I needed was readily available; even the fridge was stocked with basic supplies and delicious home baking courtesy of Rachel. If there was anything that I'd add it would be to possibly have some lounge chairs available for the beach, otherwise it was all good. My hesitation in saying too much is totally selfish...I'm afraid too many people will discover this brilliant gem of a location and make it difficult to get back to! The people of the Cook Islands are very warm and inviting. It is a very small place, so don't expect huge shopping centers and a rousing night life. It's a wonderful place to go if you want to get away from the hustle of the fast track. The next time I visit, (and there WILL be a next time!) I look forward to bringing my family. I'm sure they will fall in love with it too.

Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member millie1983_uk

We have not long returned from our trip to Rarotonga. We stayed at the studio villa at Makayla Palms. We couldn't have asked for better accomodation, it was everything we wanted and more. The location was great with the best beach on the island a few steps away. John and Rachel are lovely, helpful and friendly hosts. When we arrived our fridge was stocked with food and rachels lovely homebaked cookies!! Snorkelling equipment and reef shoes and kayakes were supplied free of charge. The beach at makayla palms is one of the best spots on the island for snorkelling and we saw loads of amazing fish, also try the beach at fruits of raro, you can buy food there and feed the fish! The Paw Paw Patch is a great resturant and a 5 min walk away. Rarotonga is such a beautiful island, its as close to paradise as you can get with white sandy beaches and the most amazing turquise lagoon. It is a magical place and we can't wait to go back!

Garden getaway, comes with a beach!

by TripAdvisor Member sviqueen

The Makayla Palms villa (2 bdr) is a wonderful holiday property. The villa has a bit more privacy than the studio, but the smaller unit is lovely, too. The floor plan is well thought-out, and complete with all the amenities: full kitchen, laundry, fans and air con. Power is dirt cheap at home, which makes the surcharge for air con seem pricey ($20 NZ per bedroom per night, if I remember). It’s available if you need it, though; and it’s not a bad thing to get a wake-up as to the real costs involved in vacationing off the beaten path. This was our 3rd trip to Rarotonga, and we'll probably go back again.

The flower gardens are lush and plantings varied - thanks to Rachel, who’s a keener, and her able groundsman John. Rachel and John are also putting in vines and plants that will eventually provide pineapple, guava, passion fruit and papaya for the picking – what a grand idea! Turn left at the end of the drive to Karl’s for fresh baguettes in the morning, and to the right for fresh fruit and veg from the produce stand; couldn’t be more convenient.

Get used to chickens (roosters crow all night here for some reason), magpies, geckos, exotic plants of every type. Bring a camera, a handful of books, and some sunscreen; snorkel gear and kayaks available on site. Rachel is a walking tourist bureau, and was bang on in all her recommendations to us: restaurants, supplies and souvenir shopping.

It’s a short walk around another property to the beach, which is the best snorkeling site on the island to our way of thinking. The only thing we were missing was a view of the beach from our verandah – that’s all Makayla Palms would need to be the absolute tops on Raro.

Thanks, John and Rachel, for a wonderful stay.

Snorking that is out of this world

by TripAdvisor Member thechchkiwi

If you love the water and love relaxing Makayla Palms is for you. They have a 2 bedroom unit and a 1 bedroom unit, you could be a family or couple. Units are fully furnsihed houses, beautiful modern recently built. Cool, with plenty of fans and A/C. Really quiet location, resorts to go for cocktails nearby as well as scooter/bike and car hire. the beach is the best place in the whole island for snorklling, beleive me we tried heaps of places! water is crystal clear and so many tropical fish, saw all 75 species. Some roam in schools of 300 or so, they float around u like you're one of them. Definetly bring an underwater camera, it will take your breath away I had to keep pinching myself! They provide all the snorkle gear and its in top condition. Turtles can be seen too, and its easy to canoe out to the reef to walk along it. John and Rachel are great hosts, they bake for you every second day, bring fresh local fruit around, and are great to have chats to, they are very knowledgable of everything that is going on. Beautiful gardens and roosters and hens and chicks roam round. Bus stops on side of road. Endless supply of DVDs to watch at night, after you watch the sun set. Rarotonga is the same temperature all year round so water stays like a bath the whole time. Makalya palms is a home away from home right on the waterfront, come relax and enjoy the culture of rarotonga and seep into rarotongan time, you won't want to go home trust me!

Paradise found

by TripAdvisor Member Tim60uk

Have just returned from Rarotonga having stayed at Makayla palms, what to say other than Wow!! the accomodation was immaculate with every thing you could ever want and more(stayed in the 2 bed bungalow), the web site photos do not do it justice.
It's a few paces from the best beach on the island with the most amazing swimming/snorkling.
In a nice quite area (except the Rarotongan alarm clocks !! - cockerels lol)
Greeted at the airport by John and then the first morning by Rachel with an amazing breakfast, these people are so friendly and cannot do enough for you, nothing was to much trouble.
Would highly recommend Makayla palms and cannot wait to go back.
Tim L
Weston-super mare
UK

Makayla Palms is wonderful

by TripAdvisor Member lynn0101

We (husband, two teenage boys and me) have just returned from 11 days at Makayla Palms in Raratonga. This was our third trip to Raratonga and hands down, this is the best accomodation yet.

Arriving at the house, the basic supplies for the next day are waiting for you (bread, milk...) there was also a home baked chocolate cake in the pantry and a bottle of New Zealand wine chilling in the fridge.

Rachel & John (the owners) are very gracious. You feel like a personal guest rather than someone renting their property. Rachel brought over home baking every few days (the scones were amazing). They offered us their car as there were too many of us to go on the scooters. Their knowledge of the island was wonderful.

The house is not directly on the beach. There is a property between you and the beach (you are beachside though) but your property is private and it is literally 39 steps down the path to the sand. The house is clean and new (the last trip there the house we stayed in was a bit cheaper, directly on the beach but really unclean).

For our next trip we will book the same place. We have no hesitation in recommending it at all!!!

Slow down, sit back and relax.

by TripAdvisor Member bobleke

We have just returned from a wonderful week in Rarotonga staying at the Makayla Palms Bungalows.

The recently built studio, set within beautiful tropical gardens, far exceeded all our expectations. It was really well laid out with spacious kitchen, lounge and bed room areas as well as a wonderfully appointed bathroom with a great shower. It was spotlessly clean and well equipped with everything we could need, from DVD's and books to beach towels, snorkeling equipment, kayaks and a superb 3 burner BBQ!

The studio was seconds away from the beach. It was so beautiful and we spent hours snorkeling amongst the coral and tropical fish. The beach was very quiet and most days we only saw one or two other people.

John and Rachel, the hosts at Makayla Palms made us feel so very welcome. They were so helpful assisting with lifts to hire a scooter and lots of advice on what to do and where to eat on the island. However, it was the little things that made us feel so at home - the home baked treats we often found on our return from another exhausting day at the beach and the supplies that were there on our arrival including bread, milk, tea etc that meant we didn't have to rush straight out to the shops.

We were sad to leave Makayla Palms and our wonderful week was over way to soon. We would highly recommend this beautiful spot to anyone. On our next visit we will definitely return to Makayla Palms.

To make the most of your time on the island be sure to hire a scooter (take your license). The Cook Island's driving test is a key part of the island experience! And be sure to grab a coffee at deli-icious and pick up some fresh fish from Ocean Fresh (by the airport) to throw on the barby.

Rob and Amanda

Slice of heaven

by TripAdvisor Member BushLawyer

A fantastic time for my husband and I. We went over with another couple and we just did everything there was to do and see everything there was to see! and still that wasnt enough. The accommodation was faultless - you could want for nothing but a cold breeze during those balmy tropical nights but what better reason to sleep in your birthday suit! We celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary this month so this was like an early treat for us and when we looked at the photos taken of us during the trip it was like we were on our honeymoon!! Rachael spoilt us with her cooking and if it werent for John to remind us, we would have missed our dinner date! It was like we'd known John and Rachael for ages, they are both so friendly and accomdating - you would think you'd been staying with them for years! Everyone has said it all before in the previous reviews but I'm telling you read no further - just go there! You wont regret it - in fact you will regret it if you stay somewhere else - trust me on that one! And the photo of the underbelly of the plane? - well that's for me to know and you to experience - there's nothing like on this earth - I have to respectfully say its better than sex!!! We'll be back for sure and we thoroughly recommend iit and f you havent been to Makayla Palms - you dont know what your missing!

Comments