State of Kosrae Hotels

Our Members Say

• Ekahau profile photo Ekahau
  • Reviews: 766

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kosrae home stay program: "No place like a home" in Kosrae

I think the very best place to stay in Kosrae is in a home stay arrangement. Because there is no back packer lodge type place to stay the government of the State of Kosrae has open up a homestay program and it is a really nice way to get to know this rich culture.

The home stay program was started in 1999 so most of the bugs are worked out. The cool thing is within a few days in the Kosrea culture you are family. Each village has a day that is their sort of feast day and I went with my” family’ to all the outings. I went to their school, fishing hiking all with my Kosrea family.

Please be careful because when I got ready to leave I tried to pay and they refused to take the money so I had to leave the money discreetly on the table when they were not looking and I know they could use a little extra cash. I understand this is a common issue with other home stay families as well. I was told by the Kosrae visitor association that the upper amount to leave was $30 so that is what I left.

I slept on a platform bed with a foam mattress. Also, I like to try out different restaurants so I took my family out a lot but if they cook for you and believe me they will try it is suggested that you pitch in with the grocery shopping this is really fun at the local market and fish from the reef. I made a big pot of Russian Borsch one night because they had never tried that dish and the ingredients were available even fresh dill.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average