4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Pa Matei, Fiji
Hotels.com Expedia.com Orbitz.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

More about Qamea Resort And Spa Fiji

The Qamae or not the Qamea???

by TripAdvisor Member Houso

My husband and I decided on Fiji for our honeymoon and I spent weeks researching which resort and which island to stay. We finally decided on the Qamea. The Qamea had all good reviews and I was particular with researching food quality because of bad food reviews in other resorts.
I did not particularly have a great time and it raining every day.
This resort is perfect for people who do not want to do anything. There were activiities to do but they were limited to the island and nearby villages. I would have loved to do a cruise around to other islands but nothing like that is on offer. We are a middle class family and the price of the Qamea was expensive for us and I thought it was a waste of money.

The food was absolutely fantastic and so were the staff. My husband and I were always full from breakfast at lunch time and at dinner we were full from bfast and lunch.
If you are an outgoing person I would recommend somewhere with more activities and more people. It would also be cheaper as most resorts have a shop to buy things like Coke. At the Qamea everything is bar fridge or bar.
Also I pictured stunning waters. It was not like I had pictured. There is coral up to the beach so you have to wait for the tide to come in to swim. I have been to Phuket and the swimming is much better there.
Our bure was located perfectly and the spa is to die for.
When we left staff sang us off. It was exceptional.
The bottom line is
if you want to relax and forget about the rest of the world - Go to the Qamea.
If you want to party a bit and see more of Fiji while you are there, go somewhere else.

By the way make sure you book your domestic plane flights with heaps of time. They fly by Fiji time. This means it could leave 20 minutes early. 2 hours late, whatever they want. Our domestic plane was delayed by 2 hrs 45 minhrs and we got to our international flight with 1/2 hour to check in, get through customs find your gate. No duty free shopping for me.

Loved Qamea

by TripAdvisor Member mssteph

My wife and I just returned from Qamea where we spent 4 nights of our 7 night honeymoon(other 3 nights on blue lagoon gold club cruise which was excellent as well). Overall, I would rate the stay as very good to excellent. Here are a few details;

1. Accomodations: The regular bures were very nice. We had no gripes at all about the accommodations. The only addition I would make is a small radio/cd player in each bure. We also ventured into the higher priced accommodations for a peak. All were very nice. The villas were huge and had small pools. However the water in the pools were very cold and I'm no sure what we would have done with so much space unless it was raining the whole time. The were constructing some new bures while we were there and we looked at them too. They were similar in size to the regular bures but appeared a liitle more nicely done and had private hot tubs. I think we would have stayed in one of these had they been available to us.

2. Meals were excellent. The course choices were somewhat limited but what was offered was always so good that we still had a hard time choosing which entree and main course we wanted. Regarding food we had only 2 complaints- The kitchen had a little trouble cooking eggs the way we wanted them, and when we went on excursions that inlcuded lunch, they always seemed to pack the same thing (very tasty but we had it 3 times).

3.Activiies were very interesting and varied. We had some trouble deciding which activities to do on certain days since the overall activities list is not "a la cart". What I mean by this is that they offer a villiage tour, but only on certain days. If another activiy you want to do happens to coincide, you must choose since they will not offer the same choices again for a few days. In our case we only stayed 4 days so we missed out on some activities. We loved the water fall tour! The only other trouble we had with the activities was again due to our short stay. We had a little trouble making spa appointments and a reservation for honeymoon beach. I felt this was due to our midweek arrival and most of the other guests had already been there a few days. In our case the other guests decided to schedule a lot of there activities more toward the end of there stay, so once we got there most of the spots for the days of our stay were reserved. We ended up working everything out as we were able to find very nice couples to switch days with us for all of the things we wanted to do. If we had stayed a week like most peolple, this would have been a non-issue. Still, I would make sure to get a full activities schedule for your stay the day you arrive and go ahead get your spa apponitments, beach dinners, and honeymoon beach visit scheduled. The group activities are never a problem so don't worry about scheduling them until they ask you the night before at dinner.

4.Staff: I can not say enough about the staff. I've never seen so many people that are so willing to to everything possible to make us happy. And here is the kicker- everyone obviously loves their job as the do everything with enormous smiles on there faces (even when they think no one is looking). Even the housekeepers and groundskeepers were fantastic! (If you want an accurate weather forecast, look for the housekeeper named Mary.) I enjoyed getting to know some of the staff a little better while having fun playing volleyball every day at 4 pm. My wife enoyed holding one of the staff's baby (rose) one day when she was feeling a little homesick. This apparently is fairly common among guests who have kids at home.

5. Grounds: Impecably kept-every day, all day. It was almost comical to see the staff picking leaves that looked a little too yellow off the bushes and using machete's to trim the grass around trees. The pool was very nice although it was several degrees colder than the ocean. The beach was not huge but it was nice, and you could snorkel right from the beach if you know where to go (just ask). You could also take a short hike (10 min.) over a hill and find a deserted beach larger than the main beach. I was also a bit deeper close to shore and maybe more swimable. There are two small houses along this beach that we we told belonged to a couple of staff that take the 10 min. hike to work twice a day.

6. Spa: One word.. perfect!. Any other words would just not do it justice.

7. The bar: Maybe the weak spot. They made tasty mixed drinks but the prices were rediculous. (I had a margarita on day and it was $18 FJD.. about $12 usd.) The beer selection was slim (maybe 6 or 7 choices) and the refrigerator where the beer was kept was not cold enough. The wine list was equally slim but every one we tried was tasty.

A few minor gripes but as I said before... excellent overall.

Response to "Disappointing" post for Qamea

by TripAdvisor Member violinistaaronmeyer

I have been to Qamea Island twice now and got married on Qamea. It is an absolutely a magical island, with no equal. I've stayed at Turtle Island, Four Seasons Chaing Mai, & Las Ventanas -an extensive base of comparison. Never have I read a review for a resort that is in my opinion so far from the truth (disappointing post-6/6) Both of my trips to Qamea were outstanding and beyond my expectations. - First of all the food at Qamea cannot be beat. I found a great variety of food as the menu changes daily. (much more than chicken and fish- this is not accurate information.) We enjoyed delicious crisp salads of all kinds, great appetizers nighly during their cocktail hour, amazing soups (the best Stilton soup in my life) fabulous lamb dinner, Pasta dishes, extremely fresh fish daily prepared in many different ways, beef dishes, inventive supurb desserts, and , anything you want for breakfast , fresh squeezed juices of all kinds, delicious "Picnic lunches" for our secluded beach visits and romantic dinners nightly with live Fijian music that sung to our hearts. (not to mention the extremely private dinners on our bure deck or beachside) The Rainforest Is not too dense to explore... !!! absolutely not so. How would I have hiked with my non-camping very spoiled wife on 2 completely different 1/2 day hikes from Qamea that were both equally exciting and fun if the rain forest was too dense?? (with another couple we went as well , they too not the "camping" type) We hiked to an amazing beach and our guide cut open a coconut for us to drink along the way. We went to 2 beaches and watched some villages harvest Kava. the diving is amazing...but if you don't dive- (my wife refuses to learn to dive ) you can certainly snorkel all day too.. they have an amazing reef right off the beach. The sand is white and beautiful. We did not feel it was rough on our feet. Parts of the beach have slightly more shells but we loved picking up shells to bring home. (one of many activities) activites we did.. in fact, my wife who wanted to just lay on the beach never got to lay on the beach because we ran around doing things all day that were fun and enjoyable and did not want to just lay on the beach. we snorkeled, kayaked, went on boat rides, went to a village, a fijian school, waterfall trip, played volleyball, searched for the rare Orange dove, island boat cruise, a few massages, went to INTL dateline, explored a neighboring island and found a beautiful historic church, had picnics on our own beach, hung out and drank kava w/Fijians, played baldedash, and made lots of new friends. (forgot about the unbelievable star watching at night- the stars are so brilliant here) The bures are so beautiful and first class all the way. Qamea was one of the only few resorts in all of Fiji that we found even has air conditioning. (a must for he tropics) yet Qamea is one of only maybe 3 in all of Fiji that has it. We were impressed with the sheets they starched and pressed daily, beautiful furnishings, romantic lighting and tradional feel of the tropics. (hammocks on the terrace are great too) even the toilet paper was the best I ever found . Who wants a lock on the door? why would I want to carry around a hotel key on my holiday that I'll lose every day. they have safes in the room for your valuables. My wife gets eaten alive by mosquitoes.. yet in our sealed up , cool beautiful Qamea bure she never complained of bites. We did not feel at all there was a bug issue on either stay at Qamea. Qamea is amazing hideaway that is actually under priced compared to the other properties in Fiji and well worth every penny. I highly recommend this resort and cannot think of a better place for a wedding. Mine was beyond my dreams.

We loved Qamea!

by TripAdvisor Member eerickso

We arrived in Qamea after spending a few days at First Landing and a week on the Nai'a liveaboard dive boat. After spending lots of time underwater the week before, we were ready to relax and just enjoy being lazy for a week. Qamea was perfect for that. It also would have been perfect if we had wanted to do more, as there were activities every day that we could have taken advantage of. For us, a day spent snorkeling (the snorkeling right off the beach is outstanding!), eating fabulous food, sunning by the beautiful natural stone pool, and reading was exactly what we wanted to be doing. Every afternoon at 3 we went on the complimentary snorkeling trip, and my husband usually played volleyball with other guests and staff in the late afternoons. We also explored a bit, and attended Sunday service at a nearby village. (This is absolutely not to be missed if just for the singing. It was wonderful. And of course my husband had to stop to join in on the kava drinking in the village afterward!) We had massages at the water's edge while listening to the music of the birds and surf as the sun went down. Pure luxury.... The spa services are not to be missed. The staff as a whole was attentive and friendly, and we were always amazed how everyone knew our names after hearing them just once. Everyone really went out of their way to ensure we had a terrific time and all of our needs were met. We had an unexpected treat of a fire dancing show one evening, and there were local musicians playing at dinner each night. The bed was comfortable, the linens pristine, towels were changed twice a day and there was a towel warmer. The outside stone shower was magical. The air conditioning (which we used only periodically) was quiet and efficient.

About the only thing I would do differently on a return trip would be to take liquor from the DFS in Nadi. The drinks are expensive, and the cost really added up even though I typically only have a glass or two of wine. As far as the person who complained about bugs, I have to say I was amazed at the lack of bugs! I'm usually the one who gets eaten alive in tropical locations, and I didn't have a single bug bite until we hit Nadi on the way home and were sitting outside at sunset at the Tokatoka. And there's absolutely no need for locks on the doors. I agree that having a key would have just been a hassle. The safe in the room is adequate for passport, currency, and small valuables, and I honestly never had a concern about leaving thousands of dollars of underwater photo gear in our bure.

On the way home, we were traveling from Qamea to the east coast of the U.S. We were very glad that we had booked a day room near the airport so we could shower after arriving in Nadi and before the long flights home. It was an easier trip than I expected overall. I'd suggest that anyone traveling to Qamea were pants that can be easily rolled up, as you'll have to step in the water getting on and off the boat between Taveuni and Qamea. Also, as someone else pointed out, the flights between Taveuni and Nadi operate on Fiji time, and sometimes not at all! Although we had tickets on Air Fiji, when we got to Taveuni we were told there were no Air Fiji flights that day. They easily switched us to a Sun Air flight, and actually diverted a flight to come pick us up. Things are a lot more flexible in this part of the world! That said, the other folks who were traveling with us from Qamea and were originally booked on Sun Air ended up waiting another couple of hours for their flight to finally take off.

Qamea was a wonderful way to end our almost 3 weeks in Fiji. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

Best Week of My Life at Qamea

by TripAdvisor Member SonomaJim

Simply put, Qamea is the best resort my wife and I have ever stayed at. The accomodations (a beautiful beachfront bure with air conditioning, a canopy bed, stone outdoor shower, new cool furniture, deck with hammock and sun lounges on the lawn out front, and EXTREMELY CLEAN!) are top-notch is every aspect. The service is impeccable. From the moment you step off the plane at Taveuni, the staff and management are absolutely wonderful, understanding of individual needs, charming, downright fun to hang out with, and most importantly - they comprehend the concept of great CUSTOMER SERVICE and provide it without any hesitation. They are attentive to details and flexible. From the owners (Ron and Bryce are a blast) to the lower rung employees, everyone is friendly and genuinely courteous and willing to do whatever it takes to make your stay a happy and memorable one. The guest services managers Sia, Sake, and David are awesome and funny. The spa treatments were incredible. As for the surroundings, Qamea Island is stunning. The beach and reef right in front of the resort are beautiful and the snorkeling just steps away from your bure is exceptional. I'm not a diver, but all the reviews I heard from fellow guests that dove were very positive, and the dive team even got me to confront my fear of snorkeling in deeper water and I was rewarded greatly with some amazing snorkeling experiences. The food is exceptional - there are plenty of delicious alternatives on the menu if you don't like fish and the staff is open to special orders and snack orders if you're craving something different than what's on the menu - in fact one of the owners doesn't even eat seafood and he lives there 1/2 the time! But if you do like seafood, it is exceptional. Try the kokonda and the chili crab especially.
There are plenty of activities if you want them, I'm not sure if these reviewers who say there's not much to do were paying attention, but anyway, HELLLLLOOOO, you're essentially on a private, tropical island, probably with your significant other, do you need a freaking cruise director in your face signing you up for shuffleboard tournaments, bingo, etc? You should be there to relax, but maybe I'm crazy. For example if you want action, the last day we were there, another couple went for a morning dive, afternoon snorkel trip, played sand volleyball with the staff and other guests, attended the fashion show and wine tasting, (and god knows what else)... Isn't that enough? If not, maybe you should enlist in the army, not go on a tropical vacation. There are several trips to Taveuni every week if you want to get off Qamea, but I think you'll find you'd rather stay because why leave paradise? There's all sorts of things to do outside and in the bar/restaurant, but if you want a pool table or big screen TV in your room, go somewhere else (or stay home because you're missing the point). If you want a real Fijian experience in luxurious comfort and a romantic setting, go to Qamea.

A special place in paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member Bobbie_Pants

My husband and I spent week 2 of our 2 week Fijian honeymoon at Qamea Resort and Spa and it was the most spectacular week ever. Having traveled to the Carribbean, Indonesia, Mexico, Hawaii, Europe etc...I must say that Qamea was by far the most spectacular place I have been to in terms of customer service, privacy, cleanliness, food, culture, romance, beauty etc....If you want to tuck away into paradise away from the daily grind then Qamea is the best for that. If you plan on spending time at more than one resort in Fiji then I suggest making Qamea the last one...save the best for last.

This is a small resort on a beautiful white sandy beach with excellent snorkeling. We stayed in the beachfront bure which was very nice. It had all new furniture with a canapoy bed, couch, chairs, stone outdoor shower, heated towel rack, in room fridge and very clean. Let's not forget the hammock on the porch!

If you are looking for MTV spring break then forget Qamea. It is not for the fraternity brothers to hang out at. However, if romance, relaxation, good food, exceptional people and Fijian culture sound good then Qamea is for you. The staff does organize activities every day that range from half day trips to a nearby Pearl farm or tours of the local village as well as volleyball daily, Kava (Fijian ceremony) ceremonies, cooking demonstrations, snorkel trips and much more... This is truely a resort and SPA. The spa is wonderful. I got a facial and three massages and my husband got two massages...we were both very pleased with them.

Everyone from the owners of the resort to the band, spa girls and gardeners were all exceptionally friendly and helpful. Ron, Bryce, Sake, Sia, David, Wilma, Julie etc....thank you all for making our honeymoon so memorable. Qamea will always have a special place in our heart. We can't wait to go back!

Unforgettable Honeymoon!!!!

My husband and I had the most incredible honeymoon and vacation
during our stay June 1-8, 2006 at Qamea Resort. We didn't want to leave and are already talking of returning. We had already been to 5 star resorts in Aruba, the Caribbean, Mexico, Belize, and a Caribbean cruise. We wanted a special honeymoon different from all of our previous vacations. Qamea was exactly what we were hoping to find. We wanted a relaxing, secluded resort that was unspoiled by tourism and population which is becoming so rare these days. We also wanted many outdoor activities and the opportunity to explore as well as interact with others. We did not want the typical commercialized all-inclusive resort atmosphere. I have never been to a resort where the staff was so friendly and treated us as if we were close friends and family!!! It was so refreshing to be surrounded by such lovely people and away from our stressful, everyday lives. One of the special experiences is getting to know the owners, staff, local Fijians, and fellow guests. I loved that there was no TV, no radio, no phones, no large clocks, no traffic, no lines to wait in, and no McDonalds!!!!!!! Qamea can be a very private, relaxing, secluded vacation if you like as there are only up to 12-14 guests on the island at one time. You may choose to never leave the resort and be pampered by their excellent spa services and cuisine. Or you can choose to participate in the multiple fun filled activities throughout each day with a planned group activity, or to explore on your own by foot, sea kayaking, sailing, and snorkeling.
The owners, Ron and Bryce, have performed a superb task of creating and maintaining such a lovely resort, the ONLY resort on the island. They have obviously and are currently placing much time, thought, and work into making it Qamea. It is a unique, rare jewel we feel privileged to have experienced. Here are some specifics below that I had noted in my honeymoon journal while at Qamea.

Accommodations- Our beachfront bure: elegant/private/modern, only steps away from beach, awesome views, beautiful outdoor stone shower with pure Fiji spa products, quiet air conditioning, comfortable large bed, hammock on porch, high thatched roof, modern bathroom, stocked refrigerator/minibar, cleaning service was spotless with turn-down service at night, laundry service excellent and quick! Great amenities like blow dryer and heated towel rack. Surprisingly for being in the jungle/rainforest, few insects! There are 2 new honeymoon bures which will be finished soon with private hot tubs!!!! the premium burs have ipod stereos if you like and private pools and are huge.

Cuisine- Excellent!!! 5 star and up, great variety for all appetites. The buffet of fresh tropical fruit, juices, and muffins each morning were mouthwatering, and the coffee was to die for! My husband's favorite was the fresh banana pancakes, and my fav the eggs benedict. There was a wide variety of lunch and dinner selections everyday ranging from pizza, barbeques, Indian cuisine, delicious fresh catch of the day, crab bisque, chicken, salads, crab cakes, chille crabs, lamb rack, beef wellington, sandwiches etc. We had a special treat of sushi rolls and fresh tuna sashimi that was caught that day by one of the guests! Our favorite dinner was of fresh lobster salad with cucumber ribbons and lime aioli, and the famous Qamea Chillie Crab on steamed rice with grilled eggplant. This Crab was enormous and so delicious! We had vanilla bavarois with chocolate sauce for desert. Can you tell I love food!!! At our private candlelit table dinner for two by the beach, David , local Fijian staff, sang a dedicated honeymoon song to us with a guitar and the resort band. It was so special I cried and hugged David for being so sweet. There is a happy hour every night where guests mingle and share stories of their daily activities and life. There are also special Fijian cultural traditions presented to the guests by local Fijians such as children singing and dancing, fire-dancers, and kava drinking ceremonies.

Activities: Best I have ever experienced. Qamea and adjacent Taveuni are still unchanged from tourism and commercialization. There are no cars or modern roads on Qamea, so transportation is mainly by foot and speedboat. We went on several of the guided hikes through the national parks on the adjacent island Taveuni which is a quick speedboat ride away. Both of our hikes were guided by friendly and entertaining Fijian staff from Qamea. The majestic rainforests were full of lush tropical foliage, plantations full of coconuts, pineapple, taro, tapioca; the most vibrant flowers I've ever seen, breathtaking overlook points, and great cultural/historical info presented on the tours such as medicinal plants and old Fijian forts. The Bouma and Vunivasa Waterfalls on the hike are a must see!!! My favorite activities while at Qamea Resort was the snorkeling and the hiking, just the best I have ever seen. The guided tours we went on were only with one other couple, which made it a more unique experience. One day we decided to take a sea kayak out and explore on our own. we found a private beach with great snorkeling, just the two of us! The birdwatching on the resort was fun, we saw the rare Fijian Orange Dove!!!

I hope this information helps future Qamea guests. I wanted to contribute this review as prior guest feedback helped us pick this resort for our honeymoon and I can't wait to go back!!! Vinaka !!!

Best Vacation Yet!! Paradise found!!

by TripAdvisor Member LouieG

It has been almost 6 weeks since my wife and I got back from our 2 week vacation (belated 13th wedding anniversary) to Qamea in Fiji; and yet not a day has gone by when we have not thought of or discussed how wonderful a vacation we had. My wife and I have travelled quite extensively in the last 5 years (Hawaii, Bermuda, up and down the Caribbean (Antigua, Barbuda, etc.), Egypt, Turkey, Mexico, the Greek Isles and Athens, all across Europe, etc.); yet none have left as relaxing and nostalgic a memory as Fiji and Qamea have. Fiji is a beautiful and wonderful place to see and experience, and Qamea is Fiji personified.

The island and the resort are beautiful, made even more so by its people. Fijians are warm, friendly, simple, and gracious. We have never met people who are so authentically friendly. And the level of service is unparalled. Most, if not everybody, comes over and introduces themself to you; and everybody knows you by your first name from day one. An enthusiastic BULA! is music to one's ears. Ask for anything (within reason), and they will make it possible. Everybody, from the owners Ron & Bryce, to the service and grounds staff, were just wonderful!! Sia, Sugar, Mariah, Louisa, everybody, etc. (too many to name, really) were just wonderful!

The accomodations are superb. Authentic Fjian (airconditioned; though we never used it) bures with hammocks (some had cabanas; we stayed at Tiva) literally a few yards away from the white sand beach and azure waters. We strolled the fine beach and the resort grounds almost daily; and for the most part felt we had the place to ourselves. This was a wonderful escape for us; totally off the beaten path.

The food is outstanding. My wife even suggested that they compile all their recipes into a cookbook; she asked for copies of our favorites. There was not a meal we did not like. And the staff goes to commendable lengths to please; whether it be a side item (usually rice for me), an extra portion, or some other place (our bure, by the beach, etc.) you would like to have a cozy meal with your hubby.

You can choose to be active or not. We chose to take a few excursions (Bouma Falls is a must!), but for the most part chose to enjoy Qamea. Qamea offers daily snorkel and dive trips. You would be remiss not to enjoy the wonderful snorkeling and diving Qamea (being in northern Fiji, which has some of the best of both above) has to offer. I had a passing interest in diving until Qamea. I took a resort course, and did 3 dives. Consider me hooked! The sea life is simply outstanding! I promised Richard (divemaster) I would get certified before we came back to Qamea. My wife, hearing my stories and after seeing the underwater pictures I took(despite the fact that she does not swim), was intrigued enough to want to learn how to snorkel. I had merely mentioned this to one of the staff when here comes Pip (one of the managers) who asks Sugar to then teach my wife. What I could not teach my wife in 13 years, Sugar does in about 1 1/2 hours. I offered to pay for this, but they would hear none of it. Talk about wonderful service! My wife snorkelled with Sake and I that very same day. Lately, she has been musing as to whether she can learn how to dive. This is the kind of impression Qamea underwater made!

Make sure you do Vatu beach or honeymoon beach, or both!

I could go on and on. EVERYTHING about Qamea was just ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL!!! Needless to say, we will be back in a few very short years.

Beautiful...on the surface

by TripAdvisor Member snorkeltastic

First of all, it would be unfair to deny that Qamea has a lot going for it. The food is tasty. The bures are nicely appointed. The beds are huge and comfortable. The snorkeling is the best I've ever seen, and the staff, especially the local islanders, are so friendly and accomidating that you'll wonder if they're being sincere. (They are.)

It's a very, very nice place to stay.

But there are some negatives that ought to be mentioned. I hesitate to do this, since the Qamean people are so nice, and if there's any other economic activity on their island, I didn't see it.

First, and worst of all, the resort buries your trash in the jungle behind the resort. I'll repeat that. Every day you're there, the maids will take a plastic bag of rubbish out of your room. (I'll post photos tonight) That bag, along with the rest of the rubbish from the resort will be taken out back and tossed in a big hole in the jungle, about fifty yards behind the last structure. I only know this because I went hiking and came across it. The sight literally made me sick. I asked around, and was told there's no landfill on Qamea to take it to. There is a private one on Taveuni that the big estate uses, but really, Qamea would have to ship the rubbish to Suva. That would be expensive, but so what. We're talking about a resort that charges hundreds and hundreds of dollars per night. If they can get gourmet food onto the island, they can get my rubbish off. It may be the Fijiian people's practice to bury their garbage, but the resort is run by Americans and Kiwis who know better.

Second, the place can start to feel like a gilded cage. Almost like a cruise ship on land. The resort is tucked into a small area between steep hills. Getting out of the resort means hiking over them, (doable, but strenuous) Sea-kayaking around a few points to the next beach (ditto) or paying lots of money for an "excursion" to taveuni. We were there for 10 days and started to go a bit stir-crazy. Three to five days would have been perfect to de-stress after our wedding. 10 was too much. At least for my wife and I who are used to independent travel.

Finally, the prices at the bar are nothing short of scandalous. We brought a gallon of bacardi from duty free and fruit juice from a market on the road between the taveuni airport and the boat launch for Qamea. Ask the driver, he'll take you there. We saved literally hundreds of dollars doing this and had some fun cocktail parties in our Bure.

So that's my take. You'll be in the lap of luxury, and the staff is so wonderfully helful and friendly. But there are trade-offs. We'd go back, but not for such a long time, and not untill they sort out the rubbish situation. I don't like the thought of my garbage wrecking such a beautiful island.

It doen't matter how comfortable the beds are if you can't sleep at night.

Remote luxury

by TripAdvisor Member kmfthea

Having traveled all over the world, FIji is one of the best places to visit on earh. Lush terrian and stunning water, but it is the local fijians who make the experience. They embrace their culture and those who travel to their islands. Qamea embraced all of this in its hotel. Usually hotels that try to import western standards of service miss the beauty of what is allready there. While the rooms and location are nothing short of perfect, the staff steals the show... fun, respectful of privacy, very helpful, and simply pleasent. Most everyone at the resort was on their honeymoon which was also nice. I think we were the only couple that was not. Love is in the air at the resort, but this is no place to find a Club Med bride for the night. The main building is a nice place to meet other couples which we did when we felt like it. But when we didn't we had total privacy. We met some great people. If you like to be demanding to waiters and complain about nothing in particular, then stay the hell away, we would like to go back. The only negative comment is that meals are served at a set time which we did not like some nights. This was fixed by simply asking to have meals in our room when we wanted it, so in the end, nothing negative to say at all. The place is magical, I only hope it's popularity doesn't bring high maintenance people who ruin it.

Comments