Savusavu Hotels

• Mindvision profile photo Mindvision
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hot Springs Hotel: Not your usual Fiji backpackers

I stayed in the Hotsprings Hotel as a backpacker and after staying in a lot of budget accommodation on Fiji over a period of 8 weeks I found this one to be the most memorable for getting it right. The hotel runs as a regular tourist hotel but offers backpackers standard rooms converted to dorm rooms for $25 Fijian which included a shared bathroom (max 4), fridge etc. The hotel was very clean as you would expect from a hotel servicing the general tourist industry. I was a bit unsure at first whether backpackers would be treated well there as it's main concern is with non-backpackers. Not true, I was treated like any other full paying guest which made me feel that I was actually having a holiday away from backpacking! - much needed after experiencing plenty of not so good accommodation in Fiji.

Apart from the stunning views and the beautiful swimming pool and just about everything else, the best bit was the the general friendliness of this place. I spent many an evening sipping Kava (the proper stuff) with the local Fijian house band and chatting to the owners who all felt like best friends by the end of the week. The owners really seemed to value the backpacking market and my fellow backpacker guests seemed to appreciate it by not abusing the place. To cap it all, I left my passport in the hotel safe by mistake, only realising this after getting the ferry back to Viti Levu (main island). In a panic I phoned the hotel and asked them if they had it, they said no but they had flown it back to Nandi airport for me to collect - it had made it back to the mainland before I did!!!

I can't begin to recommend this place enough. If you want a break from backpacking Fiji style try the Hot springs Hotel.

• Opinion of Price: about average