Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages

9 Matei Rd, , Fiji

More about Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages

Taveuni's Best

by TripAdvisor Member 42_degres_north

First, If you want to visit the south pacific and avoid the typical tourist/commercial environment, and general nonsense experienced on the main islands, Taveuni is the place to go. We spent 2 weeks on Taveuni and found the Fijians there to be absolutely the best and the reefs/ocean/mountains were second only to the folks we met.

Whlle we did not actually stay at the Coconut Grove, (rented a house nearby) we did spend a significant amount of time there for meals and socializing. We will, without a doubt, stay with Ronna and her staff on our next visit. The food at the Coconut Grove was more than excellent and the staff is world class. Elenoa, Kiddie, Lily, Vina, Bimla, and Lagi are not to be matched, even by 5 star standards.

A quintet of Fijian singers (George, Petero, Tony, Bill, and Micheal) perform on Tuesday and Saturday evenings. They are incredible. After a perfect meal, we hung out with the group, shared Kava, and generally had a great time. R & J Steenberg

Loved Coconut Grove in Taveuni

by TripAdvisor Member ScottiesScotland

Coconut Grove in Taveuni ... what can I say ... ?
We stayed in the Mango Burre, fantastic room with a balcony overlooking turquoise seas, the honeymoon island, palm and mango trees .... We had an outdoor shower with more than enough hot water, door knobs made out of shells ...........you get the picture?
We ate every night at Coconut Grove, the food was out of this world! The cook, Bimla, is a genius, and I would love to spend 2 weeks shadowing her in the kitchen!!!!
The Fijian staff Serah, Lily, Vina, Lagi, Kata , Elenoa, Roselynn, Maria etc. are simply wonderful. Not only can they sing like angles, but they are friendly, smiley, helpful, interesting people, who will organise any outing you want , supply you with tea and cookies any time you like ........... and some of them are even capable of giving you a heavenly massage. Ronna, the owner, is a very helpful American lady, who as it says in the Lonely Planet Guide, will "go out of her way to ensure your stay is pleasant and privacy is guaranteed!"
If you are looking for somewhere to stay in Taveuni, try the Coconut Grove. We certainly did not regret our decision.
Jutta and Ian from Scotland

Taveuni's Best

by TripAdvisor Member Alaskan_Adventurer

My husband and I stayed in the Banana Bure for a week over new years and had a fantastic experience. The staff makes staying there extra special--a terrific group of people. Ronna was very accomodating and really wants her guests to have a peaceful and private stay. The beach is the best on the island and the snorkeling is spectacular--you can swim to the reef (just make sure you remember your own snorkel and mask)! We will definitely return!

Paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member Hubb13

We all had such a wonderful time at the Coconut Grove. Our stay at Coconut Grove ranks up there on top with the very best holidays that we have ever had. The setting was incredible, the accommodation comfortable, the food outstanding, the staff warm, friendly and efficient. It was such a special time and place for us all to be together as a family once again. Thanks, Ronna!

Great place

by TripAdvisor Member ecar027

We loved our stay on Taveuni and the Coconut Grove cottages. The food was excellent and the location was perfect. Ronna and the staff excelled at making our stay enjoyable and helped us make the most of Taveuni.

Taveuni is known for diving but I am happy to report that there is excellent snorkelling too. Right out from Coconut Grove we saw all the tropical fish and coral you could want. Highlights included clown fish, sea snakes and moray eels. Kayaking was great too, as was swimming and just sitting on the beach.

We spent nearly two weeks at Coconut Grove and enjoyed every second. Taveuni has a lot to offer and we didn't even come close to seeing it all. Make sure you do the Lavena coastal walk!

We couldn't recomend this place enough. We can't wait to come back!

Good time at the Coconut Grove

by TripAdvisor Member Occasional

Date: April 25, 2007

I and my wife spent several days at the Coconut Grove in early April
2007. We had a very enjoyable experience. I would give my fullest
recommendation to Ronna Goldstein and her staff. Ronna sets a high standard for her service, her accommodations and her dining.
The setting is restful and beautiful, and the beach is almost outside your door. A great place to relax and enjoy.

Great Place for a Wedding or Just Relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member fresnobride2007

We spent 8 nights at Coconut Grove and loved EVERY second of it. The Banana burre was beachfront, private and the views breathtaking. The staff was exceptional and Ronna, the owner, was gracious and very hospitable. The food was excellent. If you are thinking about visitig Figi (we highly recommend it ) this is the place to stay.

The Real Experience

by TripAdvisor Member cowboyGolden

While in Fiji I stayed at a number of "1st Class" Resorts.
Resorts are a horrible way to experience Fiji. Outside of the gracious and joyful Fijians who work the resorts, they tend to be Little Americas littering-up the real Fiji. Complete with BLTs, cheeseburgers and heartburn.

And then I arrived at Coconut Grove. There is no air-conditioning in the cottages, but there are bright windows that open to the fresh morning air. There is no pizza, but rather the women of Coconut Grove create authentic Fijian/IndoFijian recipes made from fresh vegatables and fruit grown and picked right on site. I wasn't paraded through contrived resort type activities, instead I met people who told me stories of their lives, invited me to their villages and sang songs of the land they love. In Resorts, I found myself wondering what value there was, if any, in purchasing a $20 fruity drink. At Coconut Grove, I realize, I could not GIVE enough to show my appreciation for the real experience.

Pure Paradise!

by TripAdvisor Member cahhac

Being able to travel to Fiji is such a blessing, it is a complete experience. I think Taveuni is the epitome of paradise. A lot of the other islands seemed to be very "touristy", so we chose to spend all of our time on Taveuni. It was the trip of a lifetime and Ronna and her staff at Coconut Grove made it all the more magical. The accomodations were fantastic, each couple or group gets their own stand-alone cottage (which is beautiful) with a cool outdoor shower (so awesome to look up at the Fijian night sky while showering). The staff is so wonderful, they took our experience to the next level. They were so friendly and fun (too many names to list - they know who they are!), by the end of the trip, I was teary-eyed to say goodbye. The food is fantastic and so fresh. Ronna's beach is truely one of the best (and few) on Taveuni. We did a lot of scuba diving with Dive Taveuni (a must if you are certified - we miss Ronnie and Weiss), we did the Lavena Coastal Walk (highly recommended - Simone' is great), we visited a village on the school's fundraiser night (highly recommended), we went to Sunday mass at Wariki (this church has the best view out the front doors), and so much more.... The people of Taveuni are beautiful in mind body and spirit. It is so wonderful to see people who are not affected by western attitudes and lifestyles. This is a place for travelers who want to open themselves up to another culture and other ways of life. Be open to adventure and embrace the differences and it will be an enriching experience. Fiji, Taveuni especially, holds a special place in my heart and soul. If we ever make it back, we will definitely stay with Ronna and her staff at Coconut Grove!
Sincerely,
Chrissy & Don

Great holiday destination

by TripAdvisor Member Boo53

Coconut Grove Beach Front Cottages Taveuni Island
My husband and I have recently returned from a relaxing week on Taveuni island.
We stayed at Coconut Grove Beachfront Cottages with Ronna and staff.
Our experience was one of total relaxation. Ronna and staff were wonderful both friendly, helpful and yet unobtrusive. The accommodation was very comfortable. We loved the outdoor shower. The only thing that would have helped was a better reading light.
The restaurant was very relaxed and the food was lovely especially the lobster cooked the Fijian way and the homemade muselie was the best I have ever tasted..
This resort only has three cottages and it was very pleasant not being over run with holiday makers. The staff are very helpful with organising taxis and day trips. There are a couple of kayaks for guest use and snorkling gear if needed.
I'd recommend that you take a taxi that is a 4 wheel drive if you are going on an unsealed road. Our taxi driver was full of information about the island.
Things not to be missed:
The singing at the Catholic Church at Somosomo Village on Sunday was absolutely amazing.
A trip to the Black Pearl Farm - the young men gave us a really good insight into pearl farming processes and we snorkled over the oyster lines.
The mueselie at Coconut Grove!!!
Margie & Kevin