Matamanoa, Mamanuca Group, Fiji

Orbitz.com Booking.com Travelocity

Costs 115% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• Cabernetman's Profile Photo

The closest resort island to Modriki (Monu-riki)

I was impressed with our reception because it was done with such precision. You will be invited to sit down where the drinks are already waiting for you. You will then be given pre-filled guest cards. The only thing you really ever have to fill in here are your credit card details and a signature. After that you identify your bags so that the bell can take you bags to your room. Again tips are not expected like everywhere else in Fiji.

The mountain hike was one of the many activities, I did. Shoes was recommended but my guide only had sandals, and I wished I’d also wore my jandals, so that I could at least say I did it the way my guide did. Anyway, the hike begins behind the tennis court by the owners residence (The owner is from Christchurch, New Zealand and visits occasionally) and last about 30mins including some scenic stops for pictures. There is a large rock right at the top and the view is spectacular. You will be presented with a certificate at dinner time for the hike.

There are serenaders that come around to sing any request you might have. Your favorite song is worth thinking about before you come to dinner. When I first saw them on the first night..I thought…oh’ god! I have been warned about this. But it was not as cheesy as it sounds, the effort and friendliness all makes it good fun. When the serenade ends they begin introducing all who arrived and farewell those leavingthe next day. Your name and where you come from will be mentioned and everyone will clap and cheer.

Unique Quality: This resort has an all year round policy of no-children under 12, thus the peace and serenity.

We had Oceanfront Bure #1 for the first 2 days and the last night at a Gardenview room #24. All bures (pronounced buh-rays?) are given it’s own name. Bure # 1 is the closest one to the helipad and also the generator / de-salination. You could only hear them from the bathroom. From the room all I could hear was the ocean. Bure # 1 is also the closest bure to the ocean, subsequent Bures start to get a little further away. The Garden rooms were more modern and the air-conditioning (not present in Bures) was a welcomed relief even in October. I would be happy with either rooms but I would prefer the cheaper Gardenview particularly if I was there during the really hot season Dec-Mar.

October was hot enough that around 9pm some guest including myself swam in the pool. There was enough heat stored in the tiles/ground around the pool to actually keep it warm. It was actually cold to get out, some stayed past 10pm. This is what makes Matamanoa so fun, you could even use the pool late at night, something you would probably not get away with in the larger resorts. The staff are so flexible.

The island is smaller than I thought. It would only take less than 30 mins to canoe around the island. Sandy beaches take up the front arrival area and on either side dotted with beach front bures. Only the back of the island is rocky overlooking Modriki Island, location of the movie Cast Away.

Snorkelling is really fun and is a must do activity. I preferred it without the flippers and there was quite a lot of fishes especially at Modriki Island.

The restaurant food was average to good depending on what you ordered. Each dinner with drinks costs about $50 and lunch about half that. We did not go for the meal plan as I wanted more flexibility. I gave up on beef after my first steak was overcooked. Garlic prawns on our last night. Also very good were the crumbed fish fillets and the soups.

Directions: Mamanuca Islands. South Sea Cruises Boat (about $80). Helicopter (about $160)

More about Matamanoa Island Resort

..the many sides of Matamanoa

by sasch about Matamanoa Island Resort

Matamanoa Island is a small, intimate and secluded Fiji Resort set in the beautiful Mamanuca Islands approximately 30 kilometres West of Nadi International Airport. They areTwenty Beachfront Bures & Thirteen Air-conditioned Garden View Hotel Rooms.

Matamanoa Island can offer you total relaxation or a wide range of leisure activities and cultural excursions. Swim in the fresh water pool or in the beautiful Pacific Ocean, play tennis or sip a cocktail at the Bar as you watch the sun set and take all the time you need to discover the magic of this beautiful Island.

Dissapointing!

by leebee1 about Matamanoa Island Resort

After getting married at Sonaisali, we were full of anticepation about Matamanoa. We wanted to experience, as everyone had told us, the real Fiji. White sandy beaches, blue water and total relaxation...

I write this review with mixed feelings, it was our honeymoon and I WANTED to love it! But at various times after numerous problems, I actually wanted to leave!!!

I will endevour to write as accurately and honestly as I can about our experiences.

First of all - the good things.

The island is absolutely gorgeous. It really is. I think the best thing about Matamanoa is that the place has "soul". Its hard to describe...

We stayed 5 nights in a beachfront bure. The view from our room was postcard perfect. My husband and I would fight each morning for the hammock :) We found ourselves spending much of our time either there, or snorkeling the reef.

The staff do an arrivals/departures announcement thing each night which is lovely. They sing a beautiful song called "Isa Lei". This song will no doubt be imbedded in our minds forever - its gorgeous.

In the nights it was lovely to sit by the pool and look out to the sea. It was romantic really.
Thats where the good ends.

Our room was disgusting!!!

I am in a terrible habit of checking beds before I get in them. After turning down our bed...oh god, it was just aweful. The sheets were so stained and disgusting I spent the first night ontop of the covers. Great start to the honeymoon huh!!!

Our bar fridge had filthy dirty glasses in them which still had the remainders of previous guests drinks.

And we found our glass sliding door (that backed onto ocean) didnt lock!!!

We spoke to guests next to us that had apparently been visiting for years and they said we didnt need to worry (about security), however coming from Sydney its pretty hard to let some things go.

***Continued next section*** It gets worse...upon going to dinner one night we came back to our door open! At this point I was really freaked out because there were labourers everywhere (doing renovations) and who knows who had been in our room. So I sent hubby up to reception to get it sorted.

Next day still nothing had been done, and the same thing happened. We came home from dinner to find our door open. Hubby again confronted reception and we were told it was the turn down maid - except we hadnt recieved a turn down!!!

The day after that hubby confronted the maid and the problem was finally fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We didnt recieve our honeymoon inclusions (wine and fruit platter) until we had asked after them several times.We eventually went and filled in a feedback form and handed it to reception days 2 days before we left in the hopes someone would try and put it right with us. We never heard anything. We have since emailed them upon our return and again, nothing.

I think it was absolutely disgusting that most of our honeymoon was spent trying to fix problems. Our room was disgusting and they werent the slightest bit interested in making our stay more comfortable.

In terms of food I dont think the food was terrible, but it wasnt great either.

There is alot of weed around the island when the tide changes, you'll see staff get out early in the morning rake it up and bury it. That was weird.

I just found the whole experience frustrating and disapointing. Therefore, I cannot recommend this resort.

Matamanoa Is Resort(Mamanuca...

by uro

Matamanoa Is Resort(Mamanuca group, offshore Nadi)
Mokusigas Is Resort(Nananu-I-ra Is, offshore Rakiraki)
Castaway Is Resort(Mamanuca group, offshore Nadi) Great fun(Matamanoa),
Relaxing & comfortable(Mokusigas),
Delicious meal(Castaway)

Matamanoa Delivers!

by TripAdvisor Member VirginiaBeach

My husband and I spent nine days at Matamanoa (20 – 29 June) and loved every one of them. We selected Matamanoa for four reasons: on-site dive operation, affordability (we opted for a garden room,) the no children policy and the intimacy/attractiveness of the resort. Matamanoa delivered on all counts, and exceeded our expectations.

The warmth and friendliness of the staff was unparalleled. Truly, we’ve never stayed anywhere with better service. I couldn’t remember all of the staff’s names, but they never failed to remember mine, or my favorite drink. Having read the reviews describing poor service, I watched the staff closely as they interacted with other guests. Without exception they were friendly, courteous, and service-oriented. For the life of me I can’t understand where those negative reviews came from. Also, I haven’t seen it mentioned in before, but there seemed to be a high ratio of staff to guests.

Our garden room was comfortable, clean and just what we needed for our stay. Although small, my husband and I never felt cramped. The bathroom is large enough for two people to move around in without bumping into each other. The room was cleaned promptly everyday and decorated with hibiscus blossoms. The garden rooms are separated from the bures by a “coconut palm garden.” It’s actually quite pretty and made using the sitting area outside the room quite relaxing. The garden rooms are not on the beach, but we did have a small peak of the ocean from our window. We didn’t get a look inside the bures, but about half have been renovated and the process continues (quietly) on the others every day. Don’t be influenced in your bure choice by helicopter noise. It’s in and out very quickly once a day. Can't testify about the generator, I never heard it.

The intimacy of the resort with its limited number of guests may be its best and most charming characteristic. One restaurant, one bar, one pool mean that guests can interact easily and comfortably. At the same time, the desire for seclusion and privacy is respected.

My husband and I found the food to be reliably good, but not great. The menu changes daily, with both a la carte and full meal offerings. There’s always a wide selection to choose from. In fact, the menu may be too ambitious. Our main complaint is that the fish dishes were consistently over cooked. After a couple of days, we just stopped ordering them. Other guests made the same comment. Matamanoa isn't a five-star resort, and doesn't pretend to be. Occasionaly there were dishes that fell short of our fussy American standards. But that happens anywhere. Our overall dining experience was positve.

There’s entertainment every evening during happy hour and continuing through dinner. A small acoustic band plays requests at each table. (Yes, they're pretty good.) Our first night I requested “Georgia On My Mind” and not knowing it, the band quickly substituted “Sweet Home Alabama.” Another example of aiming to please.

Our favorite part of our stay at Matamanoa was the diving. The crew at Viti Water Sports are amazing. The small, but well equipped dive shop is steps away from the center of the resort and the dive boat is anchored right on the beach. It couldn’t be more convenient. My husband and I arrived as certified, but novice divers and the master divers at Viti made us feel comfortable and cared-for. They served as both dive coaches and tour guides, making sure we didn’t miss any of the cool stuff on our dives. By the time we left we were more confident and knowledgeable divers. Big thanks to Colley, Mary, Vili, Debbie, Bill and Oni!

And by the way, if you go to Matamanoa don't miss the kava ceremony for some insight into Fijian culture. Great fun and educational, too.

So why only four stars out of five? Well, there's the overdone fish, plusI feel I had to mark down just a bit for overlooked maintenance. Although our room was “clean,” there were omissions. The overhead light fixture housed expired flying insects and the door separating the bath from the sleeping area needed encouragement to open and close. These are small, small issues, but should be mentioned.

FYI: Neither my husband nor I are affiliated in any way with Matamanoa. It’s just a wonderful place that deserves an honest review.

Paradise

Matamanoa Island Resort, Fiji Islands.

I have been and will go to many places in my life, none have or will ever compare to Matamanoa. While it is sad to think that my honeymoon will be the best trip I will ever go on,
I know now that when in Fiji, I will only stay at this resort, as so many of the other guests I met claim.

There are so many reasons to visit Fiji, and this particular trip being my Honeymoon, had relaxation and tropical splendor at the top of the list. While there, we visited many islands and they were OK (if thats possible in a place so beautiful), but all too crowded, except Matamanoa. As an "adults" only resort, with a limited amount of guest space it was perfect. The staff were absolutly amazing, the friendliest and most helpful I have yet encountered....Ramsey, a manager at the resort went above and beyond the call of duty helping me find a replacement wedding band for the one I lost snorkeling at another island.
The meals were delicious, a different menu for every night of the week, with more choices than we could sample, Perfect! The waitstaff, including our favorite Adi, were so pleasant and helpful as well.

Email ahead to plan your activities, if they include deep sea fishing, scuba, or island hopping, but I would suggest just hanging out on this island for the whole trip, it really has everything, and I wish you could have seen the expression on my wife's face the entire time we were there.

Play tennis, in a rainforest setting, with the resident fruit bat "flying fox" circling above,
lay in the hammock provided in your Bure, which are also just lovely, or just sit at the pool and watch the tides roll in and out.

Whatever your tropical interests may be this is the place to go.

Say Bula for me.

A

a beautiful island with people to match

After reading the last review June 11/06 I had to write my own. We have stayed at Matamanoa on many occasions. We have no complaints with the food or service. We have been visiting Fiji for over 21 years and have tried all sorts of accom. from 5 star to 1 star, if you don't like Matamanoa then I don't think you would like anywhere in Fiji. We have found we quickly adjust to Fiji time and appreciate the slower pace of life after our hectic life in Australia. The dim lighting in the dining room we found romantic! We come on holiday to relax and Matamanoa allows you to be as active or inactive as you wish.
The staff are one of the reasons we keep going back, they are so friendly and helpful.
The diving is fantastic with many varied sites to visit. Our policy is treat people as you would like to be treated - it works!! We have taken friend s to Matamanoa with us and recommended it to others. No complaints, just plans to visit again asap.
The beach, and the reef are superb. A real tropical island paradise. We are booked again this year.

Not Impressed

by TripAdvisor Member max&marley

We had a 7 night stay at Matamanoa and were not impressed. Some good things about the resort are the amazing snorkelling, comfy hammocks and yummy omelettes. However unfortunately the bad outweighs the good. Having come straight from a week at Castaway Resort our standards were high as this was an excellent stay. Matamanoa paled in comparison. Many staff were unfriendly and jaded looking. The food (except omelettes!) was terrible - overcooked fish/meat and veges just about every night. Each night a group of singers came to serenade each table at dinner. Their repetoire was limited and often singing was too loud and well off key. Whilst others may have enjoyed this we felt very uncomfortable being subjected to this compulsory entertainment each night. Especially when we had been led to believe this was a quiet, intimate resort. By day 3 we were ready for a day away from the island. After booking for the 'day trip' and confirming this with reception we were told on the morning of the trip that it was cancelled due to boat trouble. Very disappointed.... we re-booked for Friday. Only to be told the same story on the day, we felt they had strung us along when really they knew the trip wouldn't go ahead. This was an example of the often unhelpful service and unwillingness to provide any additional information to help us enjoy our stay. One thing we did note is that we stayed in one of the renovated bures, although this was only average it did seem to be miles better than the old style ones - note that we had the same trouble with our ranchslider not locking similar to another review on this sight.

We will not be going back to Matamanoa for another visit, it really is a beautiful place but unfortunately the resort is a big let down especailly in comparision to other similar resorts nearby. Although we were given the opportunity to fill in a feedback form but having seen the manageress wandering about in her sarong we doubted this wold be taken seriously. We felt the resort management and staff were arrogant and not open to constructive feedback.

Nothing can compare

Once youve been to matamanoa island i think that nothing can compare, yourll never want to go any where else.
First of all, no the staff's smiles are not forced and if you catch yourself watching them you'll notice they are nothing but fake! when i was there i didnt want to leave.
the rooms are not dirty they are modern and comfortable with a beautiful outlook on the beach and sea. The table seranaders are great singers, ( i'd like to see a lot of you get up there and sing yourself) they make the whole atmosphere of the restuarant a pleasent place to be. i enjoyed going to dinner every night.
i give this place a 10 out of 10 and ive been there 3 times and it wont be my last
!!!!!!!

uro's 9th trip to Fiji

by uro

"MATAMANOA ISLAND RESORT"

[ENTERTAINMENT]
Every night so fun!!!!! Crab race, Limbo, Kava ceremony, Dance night...
[SHELL MARKET]
We visited beautiful Tavua Is. We had delicious coconut ROTI and lemon flavor tee then we bought some huge shell.
[Climbing the Matamanoa Island Resort Mountain]
The climbing the mountain was easly, but the top of view was so wonderful!!!
[Around the Island Walk]
This is difficult without guide because the back side of the island is a rocky cliff. It was like rockclimbing.

"TREASURE ISLAND RESORT"

[SNORKELLING]
Here's the best spot for snorkelling.
[BULE]
In the room was very clean and a lot of water in the shower comes out,it was very good.
[MEALS]
Most of the meals was taste heavily for us.
[MUSIC]
We were sorry that the band was electric band, because we prefer unplugged music on calm and nature island.

"RAFFLES GATEWAY HOTEL"

We stayed standerd air-con room on ground floor. It was good value but dark and smell of sewage. Staffs were freindly.

From Matamanoa islandFrom Matamanoa island

Astrid

by Astrid14

I am quite concerned, my boyfriend and I are going to Fiji in Mid Febuary and I have been told that the rain season is at it's worse can somebody please tell me how bad? Will it rain us out?
Thanks

RE: Astrid

by katt332

Astrid,

I was in Fiji late Feb/Early March of 2005 and it does rain a bit, but it is not too bad. What part of Fiji are you going to, that makes a difference.

RE: RE: Astrid

by Astrid14

katt332 i'm staying at matamanoa island it's on the west of nadi i think

RE: RE: Astrid

by katt332

That is in the west area. You should be fine. It might rain at night or in the afternoon, but you will be in the dryer part of Fiji so it might not rain at all. Good Luck!

Comments