Matamanoa Island Resort

Tags

Diving and Snorkeling Beaches Kayaking
See Amenities
Cabernetman's Profile Photo

The closest resort island to Modriki (Monu-riki)

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on November 14, 2005

I was impressed with our reception because it was done with such precision. You will be invited to sit down where the drinks are already waiting for you. You will then be given pre-filled guest cards. The only thing you really ever have to fill in here are your credit card details and a signature. After that you identify your bags so that the bell can take you bags to your room. Again tips are not expected like everywhere else in Fiji.

The mountain hike was one of the many activities, I did. Shoes was recommended but my guide only had sandals, and I wished I’d also wore my jandals, so that I could at least say I did it the way my guide did. Anyway, the hike begins behind the tennis court by the owners residence (The owner is from Christchurch, New Zealand and visits occasionally) and last about 30mins including some scenic stops for pictures. There is a large rock right at the top and the view is spectacular. You will be presented with a certificate at dinner time for the hike.

There are serenaders that come around to sing any request you might have. Your favorite song is worth thinking about before you come to dinner. When I first saw them on the first night..I thought…oh’ god! I have been warned about this. But it was not as cheesy as it sounds, the effort and friendliness all makes it good fun. When the serenade ends they begin introducing all who arrived and farewell those leavingthe next day. Your name and where you come from will be mentioned and everyone will clap and cheer.

Unique Quality: This resort has an all year round policy of no-children under 12, thus the peace and serenity.

We had Oceanfront Bure #1 for the first 2 days and the last night at a Gardenview room #24. All bures (pronounced buh-rays?) are given it’s own name. Bure # 1 is the closest one to the helipad and also the generator / de-salination. You could only hear them from the bathroom. From the room all I could hear was the ocean. Bure # 1 is also the closest bure to the ocean, subsequent Bures start to get a little further away. The Garden rooms were more modern and the air-conditioning (not present in Bures) was a welcomed relief even in October. I would be happy with either rooms but I would prefer the cheaper Gardenview particularly if I was there during the really hot season Dec-Mar.

October was hot enough that around 9pm some guest including myself swam in the pool. There was enough heat stored in the tiles/ground around the pool to actually keep it warm. It was actually cold to get out, some stayed past 10pm. This is what makes Matamanoa so fun, you could even use the pool late at night, something you would probably not get away with in the larger resorts. The staff are so flexible.

The island is smaller than I thought. It would only take less than 30 mins to canoe around the island. Sandy beaches take up the front arrival area and on either side dotted with beach front bures. Only the back of the island is rocky overlooking Modriki Island, location of the movie Cast Away.

Snorkelling is really fun and is a must do activity. I preferred it without the flippers and there was quite a lot of fishes especially at Modriki Island.

The restaurant food was average to good depending on what you ordered. Each dinner with drinks costs about $50 and lunch about half that. We did not go for the meal plan as I wanted more flexibility. I gave up on beef after my first steak was overcooked. Garlic prawns on our last night. Also very good were the crumbed fish fillets and the soups.

Directions: Mamanuca Islands. South Sea Cruises Boat (about $80). Helicopter (about $160)

Nearby Matamanoa Island Resort

• Continental Breakfast
  • Swimming Pool
  • Bar / Lounge

Matamanoa Island Travel Forum

Need advice about Matamanoa Island, Fiji? Visit the Travel Forum for Matamanoa Island and ask our Answer Gurus.

Matamanoa Island Travel Guide