Amunuca Island Resort

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Amunuca Island Resort

Still up and coming....

by mashed_NZ about Amunuca Island Resort

This resort when we went there was still fairly new and had a few new developments underway like a new swimming pool.
The layout of the resort is very good. You don't need to walk too far to get to the restaurant and main resort area. The resort is located right on a beautiful white sand beach. As the resort is fairly new, the coral reef is just a short swim out and is untouched. Amazing corals and other sea life in abundance here.
We stayed in one of the rainforest bures as this suited us perfectly for the number of travellers being sinlges and couples. It was very well layed out and the amenities were still brand new. Only one gripe was that my brother went to lay on the hammock out the front door and one of the very large pillars it was hanging from broke in half and gave him slight concussion! This was when we met the general manager who was not helpful and quite rude. He did in the end give us 1 nights accommodation free and my brother got a free massage. This was to be the resort for the wedding, but they changed their minds after interesting news about the head chef and the GM getting into a bit of fisty cuffs. The head chef was truely a great guy and we believe it was him that made the resort, so when he left, they lost the business for the wedding. * The views and the swimming pool are absolutely amazing. I think you would be hard pressed to find better.
* The snorkelling and diving were also spectacular.
* Staff were very friendly and helpful.
* Flys and mosquitos were fairly bad when we were there as the resort had not got facilities yet for spraying to keep them at bay. I would imagine by now that this would not be an issue.
* There was a new pool being built just for adults which looked like it would be truely beautiful and quite private too.

Thumbs up to Amunuca

by TripAdvisor Member BebeK

After reading some rather worrying reviews on tripadvisor, I'm pleased to say Amunuca exceeded my expectations. So much so, that my fiance and I intend to go back there with 60 people in Oct 08 to get married. Yes, there were some issues...but previous issues mentioned here seem to have been dealt with.
There are no laundry issues anymore, with a working laundry on site and clean towels in our room daily. We were there 5 days and our toilet only blocked once (with 6 people using it), and it was immediately dealt with, no big deal.
Work is going strong on the adult pool and extra honeymoon bures and the chapel has just been completed. In saying this, there are still issues- there's a problem with the central air conditioning, so we all had fans in our room- this is their no 1 priority to fix. And the hammocks. Well, the day we arrived, my fiance's brother ( a thin guy) simply SAT on the hammock and it broke, with the pole coming down on his head, giving him concussion. What could have been a terrible situation was quickly rendered thanks to one man- Chris the exec chef. Don't think he's just a chef though, he's basically the driving force behind the place- he was even building foreman when he first arrived and saw things weren't up to standard. His first aid was excellent and his handling of the situation was professional and well received (hint to the island manager- learn from Chris- your lacklustre response could have caused this review to be VERY different).
And of course, Chris's food is to die for. Puts every other island to shame- I'm talking 5 star food. As a result of his impeccable service, plus the fact the staff went out of their way at every opportunity to learn our names, and really help us in any way they could...we trust them enough to book our wedding there. I have no doubt the resort is just suffering teething problems. We visited 6 other resorts while there, and have stayed at 2 others. Amunuca shone through.

Absolutley Amazing, would recommend it to anyone

by TripAdvisor Member Melissa_Au

Six of us women stayed at Amunuca Island resort for a week in June. The experience, hospitlaity, staff, facilities were absolutley fantastic. The meals were that of a 5 star hotel, accommodation was breathtaking and the resort had all the facilites needed on an Island. We would reccomend this resort to anyone. The staff were extremely friendly as we have all heard fijians are and welcoming and very sad to see us leave the Island.

I reccomend you take advantage of the meal package that they have on offer, it is well worth it, as the meals are absolutley beautiful. Chris the chef is always out and about in the restaurant willing to accomodate any of your needs, he is fantastic

Please consider this resort because you will have the time of your life just like we did...

Melissa,
Melbourne Vic Australia

This place is Heaven

by TripAdvisor Member AndyG79

Well, the only way to describe Amunuca Island Resort is Heaven. My partner and I spent 9 amazingly wonderful nights at this Island Paradise in mid june. From the time we stepped of the plane in Nadi, to our regretful departure, there was not one moment where our expectations had been let down.

We chose to lash out and got the Helicoptor transfer out there. Firstly i must highly recommend this for the experience and the convienence of a 20 minute trip to the Island.

Upon arrival we were greeted by 3 wonderful smiling faces who escorted us around the property to show us where everything is and then too our room. And let me say our jaws dropped when we opened the door to our room. It was absolutely spotless, with fresh flowers laid on the pillows and all the benches/tables. We had the Beach Front Bure, and anyone who thinks this is not beach front must have had there eyes closed, especially if they ventured around to the other resort on the Island. Our views were amazing and there is nothing better than going to sleep with the sound of the sea and awaking to a private balcony to sit and have a coffee. Although your not stepping out onto sand, you can not get much closer to the water, truelly amazing. A tip for in the room, leave the cupboard door open to where the fridge is to keep the ventilation going and it will get nice and cold. we kept juice, and Milk in it for a few days no problem at all.

The Main pool area is just amazing too. to be sitting in the pool sipping on a wonderful cocktail or cold beer looking straight out over the water as amazing. We spent alot of time sitting either around the pool or in it. Very relaxing. Then if you get over the pool as i did, grab your snorkel from the wonderful staff at Reef Safari (micheal and Carol i think it was that just started there) and head out to probably the best snorkeling i have seen. I am a licenced diver and seen many reefs and dived in many places, but nothing tops this place. Everyday with out fail my partner and i would swim out (30-40 metres) and swim up and down the reef awe-inspired with the beauty at your fingertips. We also experienced a number of other water acitivities with Reef Safari, and never had a bad experience, although would have been nice to catch a big one on the deep sea fishing :-).

NOW for the Highlight of this place. If everything else above can not be topped wait till you eat the food. Kris and Dan and the whole restaurant team are amazing. The quality of food was up there with Taxi in Melbourne and Doyles in Sydney. It is truelly 5 star and well priced. And even better was the variety, and adaptability. kris prepared for us one night the most amazing Degestation menu of 10 courses, and another night we had the most amazing Seafood platter, none of which are on the menu. Just talk to Kris and Dan and they will arrange something different and special if you want it.

The staff too are awesome. they are friendly, smiling and ready to help whenever you needed it. From time to time there was a minor issue where they maybe got an order wrong or they forgot something, but for the very few times this occurred, the overall service was outstanding. The other thing to remeber is that the village staff have not worked in this environment before, so i say give them a break. i know it would take most people 12 months to learn something completely new and extremely different to there culture. And a Gold star goes to kris and Dan who have 24 staff who up until 10 months ago had never set foot in a commercial kitchen before.

We never had trouble with our toilets, and they have replaced nearly all toilets now and have been hardly any issues, aircon doesnt work, but was never have been used anyways. plus if yu ask the question you will find out the reasons why they are not working at the moment and then some of the people might have been a little more understanding.

Overall our stay was the most relaxing and pleasant experience i have ever had. everything was amazing. Some of the other reports astounds me, if little trival things like a missing tile, and the odd wrong meal takes away from the beauty and pleasantness this place has to offer, then FIJI in general may not be for you, as from our conversations with 4 other couples said Amunuca was the best. Even so that Greg and Kate have booked there wedding there in August, and My sister is going to go there for her honeymoon next year. We did not meet one person at the resort that was dissappointed.

Bula Vinaka to all the staff and new friends we have made from this heaven on earth.

Andy and Kat
Geelong, Victoria

A relaxing week

by TripAdvisor Member PerthMaytraveller

As with the other recent visitors to Amunuca we were not sure what to expect after a few horror reviews. However, we had absolutely no problems at all and thoroughly enjoyed our 7 night stay at the end of May. The resort was very quiet at the time and to our surprise we were upgraded to a beach front Bure after only pre paying for a garden one. The view was perfect and the evening sea breezes cooled the room(s) down overnight, so much so that we didn't even use the air conditioning. Shower water was always warm to hot and no blocked toilets. The staff certainly could not have been more helpful and no request was too hard. There was absolutely no sign of any of them wanting tipping all the time as indicated by a previous reviewer. The snorkelling was perfect and we made use of the free kayaks to venture round the whole island. The food was superb and Kris the chef was always on hand to have a chat and advise. He also offered to cook any non menu dishes that we cared to choose if we gave him a days notice!! The beach was not used much - probably because the sand is a bit course being coral based. Not ideal for sandcastle building. - For that reviewer complaining of no beach shade - there were workman on the beach constructing a couple of shade shelters when we left. There was no sign of seaweed in front of the resort but it was knee deep at the corner of the island leading to the Tokoriki Island Resort. - There would be no need to venture through it unless you were walking round to the other resort at low tide. For those of you who like to watch the mindless trash on Cable TV then I can assure you that Amunuca had 10 channels on the room set including such brain numbing offerings of E News, CNN, ESPN, Cartoons etc. Not sure what one of the previous reviewers meant when he said his set was not working because of incompatible plug. Drank the tap water, ate the salad, downed Kava at the opposite island village and had no stomach problems at all - unlike places like Bali! I'd compare the resort with somewhere like Cable Beach Resort in Broome. - Similar wooden floor boards in the rooms and eventually a beautiful garden configuration. The vegetation when fully grown will offer some of the privacy that previous guests have commented on as missing. We took a walk around Tokoriki Resort next door and their gardens are fully grown and shelter the Bures. You can see that Amunuca will be similar in a year or so. This was our first visit to Fiji and I would choose the Fijian Islands any day over Indonesia and Thailand resorts. Next visit would like to return to Amunuca but perhaps also try a few nights at one of the other islands to compare.

Our Dream Wedding

by TripAdvisor Member FijibrideSydney

We have recently returned home from an amazing wedding and honeymoon at Amunuca.

I was becoming worried after reading the recent reviews, but after having been there once before and loving it, and after arriving on the island I knew I had nothing to worry about.

My husband and I arrived (by helicopter, highly recommended) on a Tuesday, followed by 20 guests on the Wednesday, another 30 on the Thursday and then another 10 on Saturday the morning of the wedding.

All the staff at Amunuca were nothing short of exceptional and went out of there way to accommodate each guest and each of our requests. All guests were greated with a cool welcome drinks, and Fijian song.

There were absolutely no issues with toilets, slow food service, or poor quality of food. In fact, all the toilets in the public areas had just been removed and new ones installed before we arrived.

The spa staff went out of their way to be flexible and meet each of our needs, with two of the staff even coming to our room the night before the wedding to give pedicures and manicures. The service we received from all staff and the quality of the treatments was excellent.

The weather on the day of the wedding was very windy so plans of a beach wedding were promptly cancelled. Instead we married in reception, with a gorgeous outlook, beautiful decorations and comfortable seats for our guests to sit on while we were married. The Fijian choir was mesmerising, the handmade floral arches and floral arrangements were stunning. The whole set up was a more beautiful than we could have possibly imagined.

The room set up for the wedding dinner was stunning with beautiful floral arrangements and candles transforming the room into a 5 star set up. The canapes were fantastic, and wedding dinner was outstanding. All meals came out promptly and no one was left waiting. During our entire stay no one had to wait longer than 20 mins for the food to arrive. A remarkable turn around time considering every night, 60 people sat down to dinner at the same time.

Yes, there are still some things that aren't working 100%. The airconditioning still is not functioning correctly, but we didn't use it. The couples pool still isn't open, and it will be great when it is, but to be honest, we didn't need it. Check out can be a little slow due to the internet going down but you are on an island and it's not a big deal.

The main pool is fabulous and the swim up bar was a favourite. The water sports are great and the snorkelling is some of the best I have seen in Fiji.

All in all, the holiday and our wedding day was amazing. Not one of our 60 guests had a complaint about it. All were raving about it. No one wanted to leave. In fact, my best friend wants to go back for her 30th next year.

I am so pleased that despite the poor feedback we stuck with our decision to get married at Amunuca. We honestly had the wedding of a lifetime. One month on everyone is still talking about it , and the amazing time they had. I would highly recommend Amunuca as wedding or holiday venue.

Holiday from Hell

by TripAdvisor Member Jabsey

This was our second trip to Fiji. The first visit we stayed at Matamanoa island which was pure heaven. Amunuca is a disaster for so many reasons:
1. Food is very expensive and tasteless, very limited menu
2. Air cond and TV didnt work and no overhead fans
3.Toilet blocked up at least every day and flodded out the bathroom and even into the bedroom with sewerage
4. Water in shower would not drain away, and there would be like 2 inches of water sitting there all day - smelly
5. Staff seem overworked and inexperienced and you would have to order things multiple times to get served
6. Slippery tiles everywhere, I nearly fell many times
7. Sparse rooms with not much in them
8. Pool is very shallow, water looks dirty and tiles are falling off everywhere
9. We had a theft from our room but could not prove it, husbands sunglasses went mysteriously missing after the cleaners came in
10. The resort had a backhoe on the beach when we arrived doing not sure what for, but the resort is only half complete, the back section looked like a construciton site.
While we where there we paddled around to check out Tokoriki Island Resort, and that looked magnificent.
Amunuca at the moment is a disaster and needs alot to fix it up. Even the beach isnt nice at all!

Wedding + Holiday in PARADISE

by TripAdvisor Member MzPink

I stayed at Amunuca for 4 nights in mid-May for my sisters wedding. Amunuca was absolute PARADISE. The views, the pool, cocktail list, staff, bamboo spa and the snorkelling were fantastic.

After reading reviews on this site we were a bit apprehensive, especially due to holding a wedding for 70 people but it was the best wedding I have ever been to! The food was divine and it all came out swftly on time, the table settings, drinks service and ceremony all went off without a hitch. The wedding included a lot of different components - Fijian flower girls, a Kava ceremony, drinks and nibbles on the terrace, a sit down 3 course meal complete with Vodka toasts, bonierres delivered in 'secret' to guests rooms during the night (all indiviually labelled and delivered to the correct rooms) and dancing ALL NIGHT LONG. Everything went off without a hitch and the staff were first class.

Georgie did a fab job with the hair and makeup of the bridal party and mothers of the bride and groom, and the night before the staff accommodated a girls night in the Bridesmaids room complete with fruit platters, champagne and manicures + pedicures from the girls in the Bamboo Spa.

I had 3 separate treatments in the Bamboo Spa and thought I had gone to heaven. Each treatment - body scrub, body wrap and facial (as well
as manicure and pedicure in the room) were done professionally and were so relaxing. As a frequenter of Day Spas all over Sydney, I was very impressed and the girls were just lovely!

The snorkeling out the front of the resort and around on the point was the best snorkelling I have ever done. The fish and the coral were spetacular and I wanted to go out every day!

We had absolutely no problems with the plumbing, there was hot water and the toilets worked fine. The rooms were beautifully cleaned each day. The rooms were really big and although the air-con didn't seem to get too cool, the sea breeze coming in the many windows each night
was great.

The food and cocktails were awesome! I tried many cocktails and they were all made with fresh ingredients as was all the food. There were so many things on the menu I wanted to try and didn't have a chance too! I highly recommend the pancakes for breakfast and the Rogan Josh
or Risotto for dinner. All the food came out swiftly and we had no problem whatsoever with the service. All the staff were so accommodating and so friendly - BULA!

Running around in Paradise for 4 nights with 70 friends and family was unreal - we had so much fun in the pool, on the waterslide, jumping in the pool late at night after drinks, singing Karaoke... it was all great. The pool was clean and cool and beautiful. The adult pool is still being constructed and I'm sure it too will be magnificent.

On my first night there I had a minor accident (completely self-induced after a couple of drinks) and all the staff immediately rushed to my help. After some quick self-surgery, antiseptic and band-aids all was restored and all the staff made sure I was okay.

I highly reccommend Amunuca to anyone and I can't believe anyone left after a couple of days! Nor can I believe people complained about the small shop -- you certainly don't visit a remote idyllic island to shop! And seaweed?? Any coastal place anywhere in the world
can have seaweed at any time!!! All the staff were wonderful, the facilites and activities were awesome and the wedding was spectacular. Thank all the staff, espescially Kader, Georgie and Leilani for all their effort. BULA VINAKA!

Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member 02holiday

Absolutely beautiful. The only problem with our six night stay was that it was far too short. I was shocked to read any bad reviews about this place. Some people I think just should not travel out of their own country for holidays. But if it is a true Fijian experience you are after staying at an island paradise then Amunuca is the place for you. I cried to leave such beautiful, friendly, happy people and such an amazing place on earth.

We spent 6 nights on Amunuca and travelled with our three children aged 12, 11 and 9 and we all had a fantastic, relaxing and activity filled holiday. The children loved the waterslide, the daily organised activities especially the weaving with Kini, crab racing, coconut shot put, dressing up in Fijian costume, mountain/bushwalking, coconut hunting/cracking and drinking, soccer, village visit, the banana milkshakes at the pool bar, Fijian singing and dancing, kayaking around the island, and and and..............most of all the fantastic snorkelling directly off the beach. It was like swimming in a fishtank. Absolutely amazing.

The staff were great - especially the fijians - for whom nothing was too much trouble at all and everyone tried to accomodate any need we had and always with a beautiful, cheery Fijian smile. The kids club staff were wonderful and for the few hours that we used it were so flexible and accomodating. Our children loved it and made lots of friends with the staff.

The garden bure comfortably slept all five of us with room for six and was beautifully cleaned each day. We particularly loved the different arrangement of flowers on each bed every day. The bouganvillia flowers were particularly pretty and were rearranged into a loveheart on the evening when we renewed our wedding vows on the island. Our tea and toiletries were restocked each day. The furnishings were lovely and suited the theme of the resort and island surroundings.

The food and meals were five star. We have travelled to numerous parts of the world and it was definately first class and topped anything we have had in a long time. The meals were good portions and we were never hungry. Our family was on the meal plan which was great as we never had to think about the money etc and with such a big selection available at breakfast this was usually sufficient until dinner with perhaps the odd milkshake, hot chips or pizza in between. Vi's beautiful smile and cheery goodmorning was the best start to a great breakfast as you sit down overlooking beautiful azure cystal waters and green Fijian islands. On several occassions our children chose from the adult menu and only a very minimal extra was added to their price. There was such a great variety that I never had the same meal twice and was disappointed on the 6th night that there were still at least another 8 meals to try. Next time.

While there my husband and I both tried out many of the spa treatments. I enjoyed the Bamboo bliss with a different treatment every day. The facial was fantastic - the best I've had in a long time and the massages were wonderful. I would recommend the scrub and wrap, bamboo bliss and four handed massage as well as the essential flower bath. Unfortunately I didn't get to try the hot stone massage. Ran out of time. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the manicure. This was very expensive for a a bit of nail polish and the nail polish used wasn't very good. After six days of different treatments, my skin felt fantastic and glowed. I got told I looked ten years younger when I returned to Aus. The treatments are great value for money and far better than anything I've ever had at Elle Bache.

My husband and I renewed our wedding vows on the island on the beach at sunset with the Fijian choir from the neighboring village Yanua. Everything went absolutely perfectly to plan, and time. That is the fantastic thing about Fiji and the Fijians. Everything seems to be laid back and on "Fiji" time however everything was punctual, perfectly on time every time, nothing went wrong, everything was perfectly organised and everyone went out of their way to ensure that our special occasion was perfect in every way. The service from everyone was exceptional and we loved all the extra touches provided from the resort - champagne, special flower arrangement in our room, the special seating/table arrangement, the choir, the band singing, the hand woven basket for our island escape etc. etc.

The staff at Amunuca are absolutely beautiful and always went out their way - the driver of the reef safari who took us for an extra snorkel trip to some amazing coral reefs when we went on our island escape trip, the guy who took us on the fishing trip and let us fish a little longer, to Vi for her beautiful smile in the morning, to Isaiah for all the little extras especially the vanilla icecream, to Tevita for his great smile, wonderful service, the room service of tea when my husband didn't feel well and Fijian word lessons, Kini - for all the great activities especially the weaving (the kids loved it) and for organising the beautiful necklaces from the village, Lulu and Usa in the kids club - the kids loved you especially the tennis and bushwalking - and all the other staff whom unfortunately I don't know by name but were just as wonderful. Thankyou.

To all you travellers looking for a true Fijian experience this is the place to go - great for families and couples. If it's a place like home that you are after then perhaps stay in Australia or try one of the more overpopulated, over westernised, touristy islands.

If you take advantage of all the activities and wonderful people available on Amunuca you are sure to love it just like we did. Can't wait to visit it again on our next trip to Fiji and to meet up with some firendly faces.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Amunuca as much as we did. Excellent package and value for money.

Great Holiday

by TripAdvisor Member bradSydney

Have just spent five days @ Amunuca resort, Fiji, pleasantly surprised, had read reports on this site prior to leaving, my wife had booked the accomadation and i was not sure what we were getting ourselfs into. The resort is Brand New, our room faced away from beach front ,not sure if the ones at the front were more money but our accomodation was very nice, missed being cleaned one afternoon, we when came back we rang and it was serviced straight away. There were quite a few people the first few days as a wedding was on that weekend. We had a very fun night on the Saturday of the wedding. The Food was exceptional, The cook is Austalian, he came to the table to check things were fine twice during our stay. In the week between the two of us we didn't have one bad dish, the food not even keeping in mind your on an island in Fiji was truely amazing.
Spent alot of time diving of the reef, coral and fish life were great, the best ive seen, water was a bit clouding one morning but cleared by that afternoon, the diving is run by an American guy who really new his stuff and made you feel very comfortable.
There were a few work men walking around and there seems to be rooms or something to be completed at one end of the resort. The shop is a bit lite on stuff but with all that said we had great weather and truely had a great holiday.

Comments