Malolo Island Fiji

Costs 86% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

More about Malolo Island Fiji

Island Paradise

by IcemanNZL about Naitasi Resort, Malolo Island

Naitasi Resort is situated on Malolo Island, This resort offers many activities very much like most island resorts in the area.

There is plenty to do on this island, also being bigger than most islands you can explore in your own way. Snorkelling Gear
Windsurfing
Swimming Pool
Banana Boat Ride

Malolo Island Resort Fiji

by mpmellum about Malolo Resort

Malolo Resort is an all inclusive resort with very good food, an excellent staff, many water sports actvities, great children activities, a mellow band of singers and guitar players, a great beach bar with awesome sunsets. We sailed Hobie cats and sea kayaked around the island to excellent snorkeling. One can hike in the hills around the island which feature great views of the water down below and other islands. A very friendly staff with many from the nearby village. They have romantic dinners on the beach for two and massages on the beach also. A spa is one of the featrues but we didn't use it. They have three restaurants: a beach bar, a regular restaurant and a fancy tree top restaurant. They have two pools: a childrens pool with a sandy bottom and an Adult pool with a sit in the water bar with stools. The rooms were real nice. We had a beachfront bungalow with a bedroom and a sitting room with a view of the beach. The sea was 40 steps from our front door. The beach is about 500 yards long and about 10 yards wide. There is about an 8 foot tide. The sand s is nice and there are some sea shells. There is a welcoming pier that has many fish visible from it along with sting rays and eels.

The REAL Story of Malolo Island

by TripAdvisor Member Eiregirl7

Having read the negative reviews on this site prior to my stay at Malolo Island, it was with an open mind and realistic expectations that I embarked on my trip.
In booking a family holiday in Fiji, I was looking for an exotic location, clean modern accomodation, activities to stimulate both adults and small children, and most importantly a small resort that could offer friendly, intimate service. Malolo Island Resort fulfilled all of those criteria.
Yes, the transfer catamaran stops at 6 or so resorts on its way to Malolo (extending the 45min trip to approx. 2 hours), but this gives you the opportunity to take in the beauty of the surrounding islands and reefs, as well as check out the other resorts along the way. It is a comfortable, air conditioned ride with a range of refreshments available .
Yes, the food is expensive, and there are limited dining options; but we're talking about a small remote island off Fiji, not a large resort in an international chain. All of our meals were fresh and beautifully presented, and I was happy that the childrens' menu offered more than the standard "Chicken Nuggets & Chips" type fare. (The chefs 2 young children apparently helped to devise the menu). If you want to enjoy 3 meals a day and like to indulge in dessert, the meal plan is definitely cheaper than paying as you go. The only way to pay less than the meal plan offer is to take your own breakfast cereal and long life milk (the buffet breakfast is $26FJ per head) and choose the less expensive menu options. The drinks are really expensive, although there is a happy hour between 5.30 and 6.30pm and you can take your own drinks. I definitely recommend taking as much bottled water as you can as it is much cheaper on the mainland, and we stayed clear of drinking any tapwater for the duration of our trip.
As for TV's, mobile phone reception, internet access etc. - I wouldn't know. The whole point of our trip was to escape from the technological trappings of modern life and enjoy each others company and the beauty of our surroundings.
The kid's club was fantastic and we had no hesitation in leaving our boys there for a few hours while we went snorkelling etc. The carers were fun loving and attentive and became great friends by the end of the trip. Their innovative acitivites kept the kids wanting more, so we were left guilt free to enjoy some adults only time.
I would now like to thank the reviewers who left negative comments; it seems they scared away all the like-minded whinging tourists (who should stay on the well beaten track rather than travel to this remote island paradise). Complaining of the coral being too sharp? Not enough TV chanels? Not enough choice in restaurants? If these are your priorities, definitely do not go to Malolo island - leave it to those of us who appreciate all of its wonderful qualities.

One of the greatest resorts in Fiji

by mashed_NZ about Musket Cove Island Resort - Malolo Island

I've been here twice now. The first time was for my mums 50th birthday and the second was for my brothers wedding. Both times were amazing, but I'd have to say that the wedding was most definately one of the best holidays ever.
Staff were very helpful with organising the large group of 60 people we had there from themed BBQ's to stag and hens nights. There are a wide variety of activities to take part in from wind surfing, to kayaking and SCUBA diving.
There are several options to take to get to the island. The most expensive being a private water taxi, the next is the ferry and lastly by aeroplane. The plane actually worked out cheaper than the ferry and its definately an experience not to miss out on...if you're not too scared of the little ones.
There is a great little island bar which has very well priced beers and cocktails. It also has BBQ facilities that you can cook your own meat on.
There are also other resorts located on Malolo which you can visit and go to their bars and restaurants for dinner. * Very well sheltered beach for sun bathing and relaxing with cocktails.
* Swimming pool is located perfectly and very nice.
* There are privately owned villas on the island that you can rent out. These are fully equipped houses that have full kitchens, laundreys and some have their own private swimming pools. We hired out 4 of these places over the wedding which was great. The wedding villa was the most amazing place with its swimming pool over looking the entire resort and half the island.
* The Trader store sells all day to day stuff like a convenient store. You can also buy "meat packs" for your own BBQ's. There is also a cafe here which has great value meals. Beers can also be ordered in bulk (2 doz) at cost price.
* There is also a yacht club and marina here.

Island Tours

by lovingagoodholiday

We are into total relaxation - no bungy jumping or hang gliding allowed! The one thing we did try the second time in Fiji was a bit of island hopping by taking a boat tour.
The trip was very good, well organised albiet a bit noisy and busy. The good thing was we chose just to have a 'cruise' around to see the islands and have lunch on Malolo Island, rather than a whole day on one island.
Tours can be organised through your hotel and our guide was fantastic. A lovely Fijian man who really enjoyed his job. He gave us a tour of the island and then left us to our own devices so we could just wander around, have lunch and drink cocktails until the boat came to pick us up. A perfect day.

Malolo Fabulo!

by TripAdvisor Member Feeber

My 7yo daughter and I stayed on Malolo Island for five nights in July 2006. We had a fantastic time, and are already looking to go back later this year!

We took the seaplane from Nadi which was quick and gave us a great view as we flew over to the island. Check-in was very friendly, with a welcome drink and the ability to check-in a bit before the normal time.

The bures are very clean and spread from one end of the beach to the other. We were in number 18, which was probably about 100 m from the main jetty and the beach bar. Every bure is only a few short steps from the ocean. If you want to be more private, then I suggest you look for a bure numbered 30 or above.

The whole resort is kept very clean, with gardeners out every day sweeping up the leaves and cleaning the beach. Snorkelling is apparently great just off the beach, although I could not convince my daughter to go out very far. You can hire snorkelling gear from the resort, but note that the deposit is pretty high and so there is a lot of incentive to return the gear. Activities involving petrol (for example banana boat rides, and the visits to the local village in a boat) are relatively expensive but lots of fun. Everything else that does not involve petrol is free such as kayaking and windsurfing.

There are three places to eat: a beach bar which serves pizza and burgers, which is on the beach near the front jetty; the main restaurant which serves buffet style food for breakfast and some dinners, along with a menu; and a slightly nicer restaurant called Treetops (where children have to be over 12) which is all menu driven. The food was relatively good given that the audience is captive, but possibly on the slightly expensive side. As an example, pizzas are around $16-$20, burgers I think were about the same, main meals at the restaurant were between $20 and $35 I think. All of these are in Fiji in dollars. I had the meal plan, which I think is only worth it if you are a big eater or if you intend to have three courses.

There are two pools, one is for adults only on the other is for adults and kids. They also kept quite clean and a quite central within the resort.

The kids club is great! My daughter had a fantastic time with lots of interesting activities and new friends to play with. It is reasonably well supervised with the requirement that you sign your child in and out.

Malolo is a great balance between kids activities and adult quiet time. I found that my daughter was interested in the kids club well enough and made lots of other friends so that I could spend many hours just sitting on the beach reading and relaxing.

There were some couples on the island, including some honeymooning couples, and despite the fact that it was Aussie/NZ school holidays, the resort did not seem to be overrun with kids. We also visited Plantation Island which has a capacity I understand of 600 people. It certainly felt and sounded like it! Malolo was quiet in comparison!

The staff were very friendly and love kids. This is a terrific place. I can highly recommend it.

Best holiday ever!!!!!!

by TripAdvisor Member Lifeonthebeach

Hello,
During July 2006 my wife and 2 children aged 13 and 7 spent 3 weeks on Malolo Island. We found the holiday experience the best we have ever had. One of the greatest things was how friendly the staff was, especially to the children. The kids club catered to the children's needs while we enjoyed the relaxation of lying by the beach and pool. I spent a lot of time swimming in the islands lagoon watching the coral and fish. The Bures were of an excellent standard, maintained daily located near the waters edge for full advantage of the tranquil views. The restaurants cater for simple cafe type meals or fine a-la-carte dining. The food was great with a large selection of seafood, meats, pasta, fruits and sweets, Mongolian, Fijian and Western food. The service was kind and efficient. We will definitely be coming back and would highly recommend the experience to family and friends.

Loved it, will go back in an instant!

by TripAdvisor Member wanderor

Before my partner and i stayed at Malolo for 4 nights, I read every single review to make sure that it was a great place, so I hope that this review helps you too

ACCOMMODATION: When we arrived at Malolo Island, we had spent 3 nights at the Shangri-la Fijian resort so when I arrived at the resort I was not used to the smallness of it, but this soon fades away as u settle in. We stayed in Bure number 11 ( a deluxe oceanview bure), if you are a couple on your honeymoon then I suggest that u ask for a Bure that’s further down ie from Bure number 14 onwards. Reason is that our Bure is right near the Beach Bar, Jetty and Volley ball court, therefore it can get quite noisy and there are people walking past under our windows throughout the day. As the volleyball court was in front of the bure, you loose the private beach in the front. We got used to it but some might find it annoying, it is a good Bure for a family with young kids who wants to be close to everything. The bure was a good size with our own living room, separate bedroom and ensuite, it was very modern, clean and comfortable. But don’t expect wooden huts like I did, they are actually like semi-attached houses, so u have a wall dividing u to ur neighbour, so u hope they are not going to be loud. Also the hammock was outside the neighbours door on their side so they tended to think it was solely for their use, and if we used it they could watch us from their living room. Bures further down had some hammocks on the beach.

FOOD: We were on the meal plan ($FJ78 each per day) which in the end saved us about $FJ150 for the whole stay. But this is only worth it if your big eaters as we only ate 3 courses as we knew we were paying for it, otherwise we would have been content with just a main meal for lunch and dinner and been satisfied.

The food is a good quality, we ate at the beach bar only once as it was mainly pizzas and fried foods which wasnt that tasty and the variety limited. We preferred the Terrace restaurant (cafe style) which has a greater variety and nicer food. We ate at Treetops (al-a-carte, expensive) once which was $FJ15 extra each as we were on the meal plan, it was nice, the service was great but not sure it was worth the value, we could have easily have done without the experience. There are also funny entertainment every evening during dinner.

Drinks are expensive, but there is a happy hour between 5 – 6pm at the beach bar, so u can sit and drink while watching the sunset. We brought our own bottled water and wine with us which we bought from the mainland and duty free. Corkage at the restaurants was about $FJ15, which still worked out cheaper for us. We also took our own nibbles for when we sat on the porch and drank wine. There is a store on the island but we never used it and it seemed expensive.

ACTIVITIES: There is a black board on the island that lists the activities for the day and each bure receives a sheet of the activities the night before. Snorkelling gear can be picked up as soon as you arrive and is kept with u for the whole stay (a $FJ65 deposit is required). We didn’t know this and thought the gear was organised for you when u book a snorkelling trip, big mistake! We left to go snorkelling and then realised that we should have organised it at the island, hence a waste of a trip. But the good thing about the snorkelling gear is that it’s with u at all times so u can snorkel on the beach at any time.

You must go snorkelling at the back of honeymoon island, its amazing, the coral is gorgeous and the water so warm. We also did dolphin watching and snorkelling, we saw so many dolphins ( we were lucky) and then snorkelled elsewhere where there were heaps of tropical fish. The snorkelling trips are about $FJ26 ( except the dolphin watching one was about $FJ75).

There is a village tour which we missed but many people raved on about it, they all bought their souvenirs from there at a quarter of the price you would pay at the mainland or island. So try and take that tour.

THE RESORT: The beach is very clear, you can see right through the water, the sand is grainy and at times quite sharp due to the broken shells but don’t let that deter you. It was so tranquil to even just sit on the ample deck chairs on the beach and read. The island is windy, which I wish I had known before as it did get cool in the evenings. So I suggest you bring with u a light jacket or jumper.

The adult pool has a swim up bar, its open 24 hours for swimming but there are limited deck chairs and the pool is right underneath the terrace restaurant so there isn’t much privacy, but I hardly used the pool and preferred to snorkel instead. The service is great, so friendly, they remember your name and will do whatever u request, If you’re on ur honeymoon then there are generally extras included like champagne and a massage, make sure u are registered on their system as honeymooners and that u book the massage, otherwise the spa will be full and u can miss out on it.

There are mosquitos everywhere, you are given a can of aeroguard in every bure, which I used constantly, it became my new perfume. At first it was annoying but after a while you get used to it and spraying areoguard all the time seemed normal.

You are welcomed to the resort by the staff singing, which is lovely. We got the boat there which u then have to transfer into a smaller boat as the transfer boat is too larger to dock into their jetty, so that was interesting, make sure that they take ur luggage on the small boat. And when u are leaving you are serenaded a gorgeous song the night before. We left on the seaplane, which we would recommend to anyone, not only do u get to see Fiji from above but it picks u up in the morning, so we were able to drop our bags at the airport and spend the day at nadi going through the shops and city. The seaplane takes 15 min as opposed to the 2 hours on the boat and transfers.

The resort never seemed over-crowded, there are no phones, tv, radios, we brought with us a little clock so we can keep track of the time and have an alarm to wake up. For those needing a sample of technology there is an adults lounge with a big tv and some chess and board games.

It’s a great resort to relax and take a breather. I would definitely go again; they are currently building another resort on the other side of the island to be finished in Nov 06 but its going to be an adult’s only resort. It’s a lovely place and I cant wait to go back, its fun for families and couples as there was a mix of both, the kids were never in the way or loud, I would recommend it, or if ur going island hopping, include this island in ur trip. Overall it cost us both about $FJ1200 for our entire stay which included food, drinks and activities. It makes u want to retire and buy ur own fijian resort! I would definately reccommend this resort to everyone.

We were here in October!

by TripAdvisor Member bronstar

We loved Malolo!
We stayed for a week. We were told it was the windiest island on the boat by our host (something they dont tell you in the brochures). We only noticed the wind a couple of times near the beach but we just moved to the pool where it there was no wind at all.
It certainly took us a few days to settle into Malolo as we had stayed at the Shangri La the week previously and noticed a big difference. The Shangi La was "full-on" kids and noise and partying and activities, we got to Malolo and could not believe how quiet it was. We have a 7 year old and a 5 year old and my 5-year old is a noisy boy and I felt like I had to constantly tell him off for being too noisy.
There was no television, radio ect..but this was great, we hardly missed them. There is an adults only lounge with a library and television if you feel the need.
When we first arrived we just loved the colour and clearness of the water and the fish swimming around the jetty, we were taken for a punch fruit drink at the bar just off the jetty and then shown to our rooms.
We loved our room, nice and spacious. They have apparently just had A/C installed in all the bures and the bathrooms have been rennovated. We stayed at the far end of the resort, which was nice and quiet and set just off the beach (we were room # 43). We met a couple and they stayed in Bure #3 where they said it was a little noisier as the islanders stayed next to them over a fence and you could here them coming and going late at night.
The first day or so we just had our feelers out and settled in-we were confused about the kids club hours and meals ect.. but eventually worked it out. Go around and introduce yourself to the staff.
Mosqitos were definately around but didn't annoy us too much-the staff have repellent on hand and they fog around the resort every afternoon to try and repel them.
The kids club was great-especially the hours, they opened at 9am-lunchtime and then 1.30-4.30 and then 5.30 for dinner until 9pm. The great thing about kids club is that you can take them up for dinner at 5.30 and they look after them and feed them what they have selected during the day (they have a menu that they fill out at Kids Club) while you enjoy happy hour and dinner as a couple. We never get this time at home so this was a real treat.
We were not on a meal plan but we are not big eaters and we were hardly very hungy (you dont exactly burn off much energy). We just had breakfast and dinner and tied lunch over with an icecream or a bowl of wedges that we shared. Not sure if we saved any money this way but we didnt go on a holiday to save money anyway.
Food was lovely and great variety- very happy with the array of breakfast choice, even the continental. (continental was $20 adults and $10 children-buffet brekky was $26 for adults)
Dinner was full of choices- you could eat at the beachside diner for a light meal or at the terrace for a buffet type meal or off the menu. Another option was the Tree tops which was very special and the food was wonderful-the menu has limited choices but it changed every night.
Theme nights are Sat and Wed where you have no option but to eat from them or have a late lunch and no dinner. Sat night is Lovo night where meat is cooked in an earth oven and Wed night has a BBQ buffet with fruits, vegetables and salads-YUM.
We did notice however that it is much more expensive to stay on the island as apposed to the mainland -there is a little shop at malolo and you would expect to pay 2-3x the price for simple things that you would at home eg..Magnum $5 (fijian), smaller block of chocolate $10. Small pack of bandaids $5 ect.. They also sell a small amount of resort clothing, jewellery soft drink , sunscreen, hats and juice. Mia is in the shop and she is lovely-make yourself known to her she is a big help with information.
We drank bottled water-almost everyone I spoke to had a case of the mild runs (not that it was hot topic-it just came up!)- this was also the case on the mainland resort;not sure why. May have been the ice-who knows?
If you go to Honeymoon island to snorkel (recommended) make sure you get them to pack you a picnic the night before to take with you. We also went on the village trip and you could buy jewellery, wooden items there. If I went again I would bring a heapof Pads and pencils for the kids at the school there but you just are not aware of this when you first go.
We also went snorkelling off the beach which was great- I saw a family of clown fish and parrot fish, the further away from the jetty the better the coral. I think on hiring the snorkelling equiptement they should drill into you to not stand on the coral as I saw people standing on it and you wonder what damage they are doing.
There is an little island oposite and it is very exlusive-aparently PINK the singer stayed there and came over to Malolo during happy hour because she was bored!
We made many friends, On couple we met had a sick 2-year old daughter and the staff were fantastic with her, they took them over to castaway (nearby) to see the nurse and they examined her and put her on antibiotics. They checked on her to see if she was improving every day after.
We had no trouble accessing deck chairs around the adults pool or any equiptment although the resort was only 3/4 full at the time we stayed so we had no trouble with service or anything. Staff were very friendly-the longer you stay the friendlier they became. Overall though I found the staff friendlier and more fun at the Shangri La but we still made some good friends at Malolo(hello SALA- we love you!). Dan at the beach bar is great too!
Ok, I could go on for hours-I talk alot.
The bottom line is that the scenery is gorgeous, we made some great friends, the staff are fantastic, the food is plentiful I would love to go back.
Book a massage-it is heaven. There facials are wonderful too, especially the hydrating mask they put on.

Malolo Island ResortMalolo Island Resort

Malolo IslandMalolo Island

Malolo CatMalolo Cat

crusoes retreat/malolo island

by dancinbudgie

Hello everyone, i am traveling to fiji to get married and to learn to dive . I am looking at crusoes retreat for the wedding itself and malolo island for the honeymoon. my questions are...
* can anyone tell me which would be the best place to learn to dive?
* are the bures on malolo all on the beachfront as suggested by brochure? are any of them better than others to stay in?
* is crusoes out of the way enough to have the quiet wedding we want?
* are babysitters at the resorts reliable/trustworthy etc?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: crusoes retreat/malolo island

by dancinbudgie

Thanks Chad, Great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of it myself! We have a Padi dive centre just down the road from us, and from what I'm told, some great diving right here in Newcastle! Tracey

Travelling

by BridesMum

I am staying on Malolo Island in October this year and need to get to Vomo Island for my daughters wedding. Please can anyone advise me if I can and how I can get there from Malolo direct. I understand I would have to go to another island by boat and then by seaplane, but is this right or is there another way.
Appreciate help

Thanks

Brides Mum

Snorkeling

by lovelynocturn

Hi folks! We'll be going to Fiji this Dec. only for 3 days (first time in FIJI)
I love snorkeling. Can u pls tell me the best part of the Island to snorkle? Also do I have to bring my own snorkle gear or I can rent one?How much?

Re: Snorkeling

by dancinbudgie

We stayed on the Coral Coast at Korolevu and in the Mamanuccas on Malolo Island. Both places had good snorkelling (there are some pics of sea creatures we came across in my Fiji pages), and both hotels we used had gear supplied free of charge. We took our own , so I can't comment on the quality of what they provided, but I didn't hear any complaints from fellow guests.

Comments