Mercure Hotel Nadi Fiji

Satisfaction Average

Similarly priced and rated as other 3 star hotels

• sarahandgareth's Profile Photo

A Nice Place for a Short Stay

After spending a week at the Octopus resort, we didn't have particularly high expectations for the Mercure. After all, we had just come from paradise! But the Mercure turned out to be the perfect place for the night.

The folks at the check in desk were very professional, our room was spotless, and the hotel itself had a very nice atmosphere. After a failed attempt to find a place to eat in Nadi, we even ended up eating at the Mercure. The food was expensive, but quite good.

Unique Quality: As luck would have it, we stayed at the Mercure on the one night each week when they have a Meke show with traditional Fijian song and dance. We had just attended a Meke at the Octopus, but I'm glad we got to see the two. This was a considerably more polished, more professional show. Ultimately, I think we preferred the show at the Octopus, which seemed somehow more authentic - but that doesn't mean that we didn't enjoy the Mercure show as well!

Directions: From the Nadi Airport, turn left onto the main road. The hotel is on the right about a 5 minute drive away.

• glenlan64's Profile Photo

Not the best

We only stayed here one night before flying out. Make sure you ask for a non-smoking room if required. Our room smelled like a bushfire had gone through. The front desk staff were rude, but busy - no excuse though. The bar staff were very friendly and the food was good. The pool looked dirty so we didn't go in. We are returning to Fiji in December but won't stay here. I would not recommend this hotel - although it seems they are trying to get their act together looking at Trip Advisor posts.

Unique Quality: More mossies than I've ever seen.

Directions: Near the airport - among other shops and bars.

More about Mercure Hotel Nadi Fiji

A long time fan

by TripAdvisor Member fiji1

Out of curiosity, have been browsing reviews on Mercure,Nadi Fiji. As a long time visitor to Fiji (over 30 yrs) I have stayed at a number of Nadi hotels enroute to other locations. For a lot of yrs I have walked to the Mercure (or the Dominion as it was previously known) to get a good feed and cold beer which were not available at many other places. I know this hotel very well and have now stayed there regularly for a number of years, 3 times during May-June,07. Many of the reviews are quite accurate and give a factual overview of the services offered by this hotel BUT it was disturbing to read some of the comments ( rude, obnoxious, unhelpful, food poisoning, worst experience ever etc.) and the impression these may create for future visitors contemplating staying at the Mercure. What kind of culture are we from other countries subjected to in our daily lives- rush-rush-rush-ulcers getting bigger every day,living on anti-stress tablets etc.

Fiji operates generally on FIJITIME, things might not happen at the pace WE are used to but THEY WILL HAPPEN. Unless you are in a hurry to catch a plane, sit back, go with the flow and enjoy it. (Your ulcers will appreciate it.)
FACTS: Possible slow service- remember, staff may be doing multi tasks.
ROOMS: Almost all refurbished-look good, very comfortable,Smell clean, are clean. Ask my partner, she is fanatical about hygine.

STAFF: Reception - courtious, efficient, helpful.
Bar- prices not anymore expensive than most others. Barstaff helpful, courtious and great for a conversation and a laugh when they are not busy. Hi!! Millie and the Fiji whistler.
FOOD: Overall very good, Breakfast excellent if you want the full one, great selection. ( As stated in other reviews, $20fj, can be a bit steep for a continental- something management may be able to address.)
Dining room staff very good but could possibly use extra help especially when hotel is busy.
The little Indian egg cooker (any way you want em) as mentioned in another review - excellent- clean- professional and looks the part.
SUMMARY: In my opinion, the Mercure is an excellent hotel for overnight or longer stays (as I have done on many occasions) It is as good as any and better than most,a very good, centrally located place to base yourself for a few days if you intend to spend time visiting Nadi town, Lautoka and the surrounding areas. Clean, comfortable taxis are available and on hand in the Mercure grounds.
Thanks to the staff for the friendly, enjoyable time we had there recently.
I HAVE STAYED THERE MANY TIMES IN THE PAST AND AT THE TIME OF WRITING, CERTAINLY INTEND TO STAY THERE MANY TIMES IN THE FUTURE.

Loved this little Gem in this Paradise of Fiji and will return to Mercure

by TripAdvisor Member scor

We stayed at this lovely little paradise for 3 nights in October and it was unbelievable. We were met by wonderful staffs with "BULA" the famous word which is welcome the place were spotless,very lush landscape, great staffs, excellent breakfast,and an amazing pork dinner. I am a regular traveller who travels to over 43 countries and stayed in all the big names in hotels and I feel the warm service from the staff, as oppose to what u may recieve in the bigger hotels. My cousins and I really loved this hotel they arrange an amazing tour for us which was the best ever.This hotel is part of the Accor hotel chain and I would highly recommend this hotel is convenient,clean, friendly,and be prepared to get used to the word bula from the staffs. Please ignore all the earlier negative reviews go and stay here I loved it.

Great food

by TripAdvisor Member Capph

We spent our last night in Fiji at the Mercure before flying home (Jan 2007). The rooms look to have been refurbished and are clean and well appointed, not flash but they are roomy and quiet, with tasteful furnishings. The pool is quite small but apart from that we had nothing to fault the Mercure. The dinner was excellent, great pasta, curry and stirfry - really top notch and a credit to the Chef. This is an ideal spot for a stop-over, the shuttle took us to the airport early the next morning free of charge. No problems checking in or out - we booked direct on the Accor website. Good value. No sign of the coup except that the hotel seemed quiet. Don't let this put you off going to Fiji - as long as you're out of Suva there doesn't seem to be any sign of it.

Great location

by TripAdvisor Member skeety

My wife & I stayed 23rd Jan to 31 Jan '07 & had an enjoyable stay despite some minor complaints. First, we had arranged for a pick up at the airport (confirmed by email) but there was no van waiting. After a good 20 minutes in the stifling heat we rang & a surprised receptionist (they forgot) sent a van, arriving 15 minutes later.
Upon check in I voiced my grievances to the manager & he apologised & upgraded our room. Fair enough.
We do not recommend the Saturday night buffet. It is basically a plate of stir fry with a small portion of your meat choice. The Bounty Hotel nearby has a much better choice for the same money. Besides, the happy hour from 5 - 8 has Fiji draught for $2.50 glass.
Location is great. You have 4 pubs close by, a small grocery store, an upmarket Thai & 4 or 5 small restaurants. The bus picks you up at the front (very frequently) & takes you to Nandi for 60c.
We certainly would stay there again.

Terence Skeet Sydney Australia

Clean & Comfortable

by TripAdvisor Member Kayno

Our stay was just for one night, as a stopover before heading back home. We found this hotel clean and the beds very comfortable. The staff and the service were great and we thought this hotel good value for money. We would prefer to stay here, rather than, at one of the over priced hotels at Denarau, as we have done in the past. The hotel is situated near the airport, about 5mins drive, and there are a choice or restaurants to visit within walking.distance. We had lunch at The Bounty and dinner at The Royal Thai, both highly recommended for the food and cleanliness. We would not hesitate to stay at the Mercure in the future.

not too bad

by TripAdvisor Member somedeadcat

The Mercure wasn't too bad. I stayed there before transferring out to an Island, and came back the night before my flight out.

It is quite close to the air port, and provides a shuttle bus service, which was nice.

The rooms are basic, but nice and quite comfortable. The bathroom was very modern, although the shower was a bit odd. You need to push in a button and wait a while for the taps to switch from the bath to the shower.

The bath was dirty, it looked like no one had washed it for a while. The towels were clean but stained.

The food was ok, but seemed over priced (the buffet breakfast was a rip off, and is the only breakfast option). Even if you just want a bowel of cereal you still have to pay the full buffet price.

The restaurant staff were on Fiji time. I had to wait so long for my dessert that I fell asleep at the table. It took a long time to be served, and meals took a very long time to come out. The bar staff seemed more interested in flirting and joking with each other than serving people. There was only one waitress working, she was doing a good job, but they really needed a few more working.

The pool area was right next to the outdoor dining which seems nice until the pool fills with screaming children.

The second time I stayed I caught a Taxi (for F$10) to the local McDonalds and bought my dinner there.

You could certainly do a lot worse than the Mercure. For the price you pay the rooms are certainly ok for a night before or after you catch a plane. I would not stay for any longer than one night at a time.

Basic

by TripAdvisor Member Elysium73

Stayed for one night on a stop-over to a resort. Arrived late at night and left early.

Basic, simple room... clean and (relatively) insect free. Beds and pillows were adequate, if not remarkably comfortable, and staff at the front-desk were quite helpful. Arrived too late for food, which was a bit dissapointing as we were very hungry!

Good base for Nadi

by TripAdvisor Member Caroline_and_Timmy

We had to stay in Nadi for 1 night before heading to the Yasawa Islands and were suggested to stay here from our hotel booking on the islands.
The room was clean and spacious with a nice balcony overlooking the gardens. The breakfast was a decent buffet. The dinner was by the swimming pool with candle lit tables and good quality food.
It was about a 5 minute drive into the center of Nadi where the main shops and comotion is, so it's nice to be slightly away in a peaceful part of the city closer to the airport.
I would not recommend to stay at this hotel for a full week, as you would get bored. But if you need a place to stay for a night or two before heading home, then it's ideal and very good quality for price.

Comments