Peridiom Motel Accommodation

More about Nadi

Source of Fiji Water - August 2007Source of Fiji Water - August 2007

Hindu TempleHindu Temple

Sri Siva Subramaniya Swami TempleSri Siva Subramaniya Swami Temple

Where's a good place to stay as a "base camp"

by lbeck

My wife and I will be traveling to Nadi for 4 days and 3 nights. When I planned the trip to Fiji as an add-on to out Australia/NZ cruise I knew little more than it was a tropical island. I've been to Hawaii twice and expected similarities. I've come to find that they are very different.

First, it appears from what I have read on other forums that Viti Levu is probably not the prettiest of the many islands that comprise Fiji. So I am planning to stay somewhere and take at least one day-long excursion to one of the other islands. This outfit called [url=http://www.ssc.com.fj/]South Sea Cruises[/url] seems like what we are looking for since they depart from Nadi, but I haven’t decided which island that they serve would be best for us. We are looking for natural scenic beauty. Also, we will probably need to float to an island rather than fly because of the added expense of air travel.

I came very close to making a big mistake by almost booking at a resort in Suva, which I found is on the other side of the island from Nadi. We will have lots of luggage from our trip so we are looking for lodging where we can dump our stuff and then do some excursions. It would be nice to stay at a waterfront resort if there is a good one that is reasonable. We are not needing luxury since we will probably spend only about half the time at the resort. However, we want more than a hostel, which appear to be plentiful in Fiji. I’m hoping to stay in the 100 – 150 USD/nite range, but could go a little more for a really good bargain. I’ve seen a few for less than 100 USD that look good on the internet, but I don’t want to stay in a dump or somewhere that may not be safe. I’ve read that crime can be bad in some places – especially Suva at night.

So I’ll stop here to avoid too long of a post. Basically I’m looking for some place close to the airport and if possible that offers transportation to Denarau which is where the South Sea Cruises depart for our day-trip. Any advice on any of this and other stuff to do on Viti Levu will be helpful and appreciated. We probably will take an excursion to the inner part of the island if there are any rain-forest parks or other scenic beauty. Our favorite Hawaii island is Kauai (garden island) to give you an idea of what we’re looking for. We’ll be at the mercy of local transportation so that is a consideration also. A couple of short hikes (1-5 miles) in scenic areas would be great.

Thanks for your thoughts/help/advice.

Re: Where's a good place to stay as a "base camp"

by AusPinay

If you are taking a cruise (jump off point is Denarau marina) then stay at any of the Denarau island hotels as they are among the best, unlike a few that are in Nadi.They are all waterfront as well!

Check expedia.com or the accor hotels website as they always have good deals.

I had the same worry before(re getting something near airports). But I need not worry as our hotel in Denarau -the Sofitel Fiji was not so far after all from the airport so I just extended our stay there.Never get Capricorn International in Nadi...looks nice in photos, but crap inside! My son also lost his gameboy there.

Best of luck!

Travel Tips for Nadi

Modest dress

by kyoub

You will see many men in Fiji wearing sulas ( skirts below the knees). Most Indian women cover up in long saris. Fijian womem usually wear long dresses or skirts. This is a big difference than back when the men just wore a loin cloth and the women wore grass skirts.

Fiji and its waters

by DSwede

My stay in Nadi was actually fairly brief, maybe about 8 hours. However, my overall stay in Fiji islands was over 12 days. From Nadi, a few of my friends and I packed into a small 6-seater plane and hopped to a smaller island were we quickly got on board a boat for a liveaboard dive trip.

The islands can be mountainous and are lush with tropical plant life. Since the islands are relatively small, the terrain might be steep, but does not reach extreme elevations.

The diving is great. Being a volcanic archipelago in the deep open ocean, it has some shallows around the atolls and some really deep spots too.

If you have planned your stay, or will be planning your stay to be a liveaboard diving trip, try to see if your boat has any agreements with the local islands. If you are privileged enough, your boat might have permissions to beach on the local islands were other civilians are not allowed. You can walk among the small villages. The school kids will rush to your side eager to meet and greet you and be your tour guide for some pocket change. You could even be invited in to see a local dance and sip some cava.

[The photos on these pages were taken by my dive buddies. At the time of this trip, I did not have a camera housing for diving.]

Comments