Sandalwood Lodge

P.O. Box 9454, Nadi, Fiji

More about Nadi

Fiji carvings lined the waterfront.Fiji carvings lined the waterfront.

Making friends (photo by friend)Making friends (photo by friend)

CrabsCrabs

27 hours in Nadi

by boundarybay

My daughter and I have a 27 hour lay over in Nadi on our way to New Zealand. We arrive at 5:30 a.m and leave at 8:30 the next day. What would you suggest we do in that time? I have heard you can leave your bags at the airport in a locker. Have you heard of that? Also we are just looking for a place to lay on the beach and get over jet lag. Do not need anything fancy.

Please advise.
Kind regards,
Janet

by Maryimelda

I was in Nadi just last week and I know for a fact that I wouldn't like to spend too much time wandering around there especially at night. Where do you intend to sleep? Most of the good beach areas are attached to resorts. To find any that are open to the general public, you would need a car. My feeling is that if you are prepared to spend the money on a car, you might just as well spend it on a hotel room and lounge around the pool all day. Most of the "Things to Do" in Fiji are designed to fit in with the resort style of holiday. There are sightseeing tours that you can do but they all cost money. It's just not the sort of place that you can wander around for hours on end without a base.

by boundarybay

Thank you. We will just book a hotel and get a cab directly there for the day and night. Thank you.

by Maryimelda

I think you'll understand what I mean when you get there. The Mercure Hotel and the Novotel are reasonably close to the airport. If you're looking for somewhere good to eat dinner, it would be well worth a taxi to Port Denarau which is just a couple of kilometers through on the other side of Nadi. It is a lovely complex with many good restaurants to choose from. Happy landings!

by Odinnthor

Although it has been awhile since I have been in Fiji, I was a frequent visior there in the past. The Fijians are the native Polynesians and fourth and fifth generation Indians (India), brough over long ago for work details. Expect a lot of Indian influence in the local culture.

There is a lugguage storage room at the airport. The cost was $4FJD per bag per day, but it is liklely gone up since then, - about $6-7FJDs I would imagine. However, you should probably just go to Denerau Island, - as you are going to need a hotel overnight.

Figure on some time to check both out and back in to the airport, - then I would suggest taking a $20-25.00 taxi to Denarau Island, and there at hotel circle there are plenty of hotels restaurants and shops all in one place, - and of course plenty of beaches. Here is a page that explains, and has a simple map to orientate you to the area, and a couple with hotels and other information in Denerau.

If you want to, you can either hang out at the beach or take some half day tour to explore a bit. Here is a look.

Hope this helps....d:o)

by IreneMcKay

When we were in Nadi for our first day we checked straight into Raffles Gateway Hotel. It is less than 5 mins walk from the airport and even has its own shuttle bus if you don't want to walk. It has 2 lovely pools (no beach) and a nice restaurant with good food. Great place just to chill out and relax.

Travel Tips for Nadi

Bula! bula!!!

by Robdaz

"Fiji Gold!"

The early morning flight on Air New Zealand was uneventful until the plane was about to land on Nadi Airport. The plane with the landing gear down, ground fast approaching and everyone expecting to hear the bump of plane against tarmac when we hear the roar of jet engine and the us heading skyward . Landing aborted, the pilot annouced that he is just giving us more value for money by giving us a tour of the harbour by circling around for a second attempt. Phew! second time around everything was smooth S. Let the holiday begin.

I was in Fiji and more specifically in Denarau for only 4 days on a company function, so couldn't really tell you much about Fiji other than, that the resorts there are great and the people very friendly and welcoming. Everywhere you go you will hear Bula!

Fiji, what do l like about it. In fact , I should say what do I like about Denarau.

Love the friendly fijians, and most of them seem genuine enough with their greetings and smile. The beach and water are warm, infact I went for a midnight swim with a couple of friends at night until something stung us, not sure what it is but we move the party to the swimming pool after that.

"Life is tough!"

Love the hope on and hope off Bula Bus the go around Denarau and the long strech of sandy beach, great for my morning jog.

The beautiful roof of the bure and coconut palms everywhere. Wish I can take one of those bure home place it in my garden back home. A bure carving will do for now until I win Lotto.

Overall it was great, wish I could have more time to explore the real fiji, not just the resort area. I got a feelinng I will be back for more of that Fijian Island time. Next time maybe there will be opportunity to visit the interiors and the outlying white sandy islands.

Comments