4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Orbitz.com Travelocity Booking.com

Similarly priced and rated as other 4.5 star hotels

• IntentTraveller's Profile Photo

New hotel on Denarau Island

Very new hotel located at Denarau Island. For something so new, was quite disappointed. My main gripe was that it was extremely expensive. I had a corporate rate, so the room rate was ok. The food and beverage outlets however were over-priced and the day spa (Mandara Spa) was "break-the-bank" expensive. The price of a massage was around the FJD$275 mark. There were a lot of families staying here, and the hotel did seem to have a good kid's club. Rooms were fairly sparse, and not at the level I expected. The lobby was very plain and whilst the fit-out of the restaurants was nice, the food was nothing to write home about. The staff were slow and unresponsive. They didn't seem to cope when the restaurant was 70% occupied at breakfast. Hate to think how they would be at 100%.

Unique Quality: The swimming pool was great. Good size, though there claim of it being the largest in the southern hemisphere is laughable. Also, the pool was extremely crowded. Nice beach, so if you're a sun-lover then the beach may be a better option for you.

Directions: In the Denaurau Island complex. Next door to the Westin and Sheraton properties. On the other side the new Hilton Villa's are due to open soon.

More about Sofitel Fiji Resort And Spa

First Class

by kristii about Sofitel Fiji

Well, I think this hotel has everything that you might want to have or dream to have. Top class, though not a trace of snobishness (is that a word?), everyone are very friendly and you'll have the best of time.. Huuge pool, SPA services, several restaurants, possibility to book excursions, excellent views over the ocean..

Christmas at the Sofitel Fiji

by TripAdvisor Member Greenwoods-TRIP

My husband and I were reassured by the resort that all is well to travel to Fiji. We arrived at the Sofitel on Christmas Eve and enjoyed 5 nights there. The buffet Christmas lunch at the Lagoon Restaurant was beautiful. Especially for 2 people who do not like buffet meals. We had dinner at the fine dining restaurant called "V" and it was superb. The Salt restaurant was not up to the standard as the other 2 for food or service.
The resort is just 12 months old and the staff were friendly and helpful.
It is close to Port Denarau where you can catch a cruise. We went on the Sunset Cruise with dinner and it was beautiful.
The hotel is also on the loop of the free Deanarau hop on hop off bus that eanbles you to visist other resorts or take you to the Port to catch a cruise.

At Sofitel Fiji's Luxury Resort

by AusPinay about Ocean view Family room

This beachfront hotel was very nice, facilities are superior and relatively family oriented. There are lots of places for kids to go to and do - the kids pool with its own slide which even adults enjoy, games room/play area, boating, snorkeling, even biking (all equipment/bikes can be hired), etc.

However, it takes ages sometimes to have what you want done, like getting game boards, books, etc. There are not enough staff - seems to be, when we were there in December for our Christmas holiday! Also, I was very annoyed when after waiting for almost 15 minutes for my cappucino that never arrived, I saw the waitress cum clerk, etc served a family that just arrived..so I stormed out and cancelled my order!

Other Tips:

There is a free bus called BULA bus that takes people everywhere in Denarau Island. You can take this almost every 15 minutes to go to the other hotels for mealtimes ( as you would get tired of the menu at the Sofitel's restaurants, including the expensive prices).

Go to Sheraton for lunches and dinner -they have a more varied menu. (Their pool is not as nice as Sofitel's.)

Near the Sheraton villas is a mini grocery where you can get moderately priced food items like bread (very dear at Sofitel.),milk, ice cream, instant noodles,etc. Instead of going to town to get them as you never know if the taxi driver you'll get will ask for a decent fare or not. Seems a lot of them do not use the metred system, you have to negotiate the price which can be tricky! great pool, huge enough for families with kids, as they have kiddies' pools/slides, etc..but the SERVICE is too SLOW!

TRY SHERATON'S Restos too!

by AusPinay about THE CAFE at SHERATON

If you want quick food but still prepared fresh and cooked to order, then the Cafe at Sheraton is ideal!

We got tired to eating at our hotel- SOFITEL FIJI so we took the free BULA bus which goes around the island and found Sheraton's cafe which also serves yummy milkshakes and other varieties of coffee and drinks! My fave is the clubhouse which was really good!

Luv U Fiji

by TripAdvisor Member JacktheladBrisbane

Spent Christmas and New Year at Sofitel Fiji Resort & Spa. Was disappointed with so-called Ocean-View Room as could only see part of the ocean through the trees and bures. Was totally misrepresented on their website photo. Little point in paying extra for these rooms. The rooms are poorly lit with showers over bath, apart from this quite adequate and comfortable.
‘V’ Restaurant.........Food excellent with service to match.
Salt Restaurant.......Food still very good but 80% of staff brought the meaning of Fiji Time to a new level.Not as expensive but not a patch on ‘V’.
Buffet and breakfast meals were great. Would arrange a package that included breakfast next time though as $70 for two each morning adds up.
The spa and massage was fantastic and well worth a visit.
Great Pool too with plenty of loungers.
Although the service was slow from most of the staff and the fact that half of them didn’t know what was going on in other areas most of the time we did have some great service from a few. In spite of this we had a great relaxing time and would go back again without hesitation. Would mention that we went to the Westin for a meal one night (as we were incorrectly told by staff that ‘V’ Restaurant wasn’t open) and the service there was worse and the food - average, so would choose Sofitel's ' V' over the Westin every time.
The Fijians are a lovely friendly people and it is a lovely resort; just hope they don’t stretch “Fiji Time” out too much more.
Having stayed at the Westin and also The Sheraton we would choose the Sofitel again.

Pure luxury & relaxation

by TripAdvisor Member Overseas_Traveller

Beautiful rooms, really friendly staff, quality food (not normal in many hotels!), stunning pool, great beauty spa. Throughout the day, you can hear the sounds of singing and accompanying guitars - so nice. Food is not cheap but buy an Advantage + card before you travel through the Accor website and your food costs will be significantly reduced. Swimming from the beach is not ideal but there are many boat trips on offer that will whisk you off to some stunning beaches where you can snorkel etc. There are good watersports available though at the hotel's beach. The local golf course is pretty good too. You'll enjoy your stay - no doubt!

Lovely resort & great facilities

by TripAdvisor Member Tricolours

I stayed at the Sofitel from the 15th to the 18th of October and really enjoyed my stay. I was there with my wife and 2 children (9 & 13) and we stayed in interconnecting rooms.
The rooms where very nicely decorated with large bathroom/basin area, all with a view across the grounds to the ocean. The resort has a very large lagoon style pool with a slide which the kids loved. The poolside service for drinks and food we also found to be very good.
We only dined at the resort on one occassion and had the international buffet which was OK without being tremendous, but at the price I didn't have to much to complain about.
We all used the facilities of the day spa and it and its surrounding where first rate but I must say a bit on the pricey side.
My only complaint is not one so much about the Sofitel but rather generally about the large Fiji resorts on the mainland- You could be anywhere. By that I mean while generally they are lovely they are just another big resort and you could be in Fiji, Hawaii or Mauritius for what it matters as they are a bit homogeneous. They do not necessarily provide the unique Fijian feel or experience and for this you have to go to one of the islands which we did (Castaway). However as a finishing point for the last few days of a Fijian holiday it is wonderful and in my opinion superior to the Sheraton resorts which I stayed at in 2004.
The other thing unsuspecting first timers should be careful of with these mainland resorts is the ocean. It ain't the crystal azure waters of the brochure with golden sands. Particularly around Denarau the beaches are generally black and the water murky and I would not swim there but some did. If you want the brochure snapped water once again its out to the islands.
Overall however I was happy with the resort and would stay there again at the close of a Fijian holiday due to its facilities and also its proximity to the airport.

Wedding in Paradise

by TripAdvisor Member Atkinscott

We had the most wonderful week at the Sofitel for our wedding. The tropical grounds of the resort were beautiful, the rooms were modern and the choice of bars and restaurants catered for all occassions. All of our guests loved their stay, some just relaxed and swan in that amazing pool, while others enjoyed the activites that the resort offered. The wedding itself was organised in such a professional manner, what we asked for was done and it exceeded our expectations. We had 65 guests who enjoyed a sunset ceremony and then celebrated with us afterwards by the pool, with a brilliant band and a wonderful tropical buffet dinner. We would recommend this to anyone who wants a stress free tropical wedding or those who just want to have a short break in beautiful surroundings and enjoy the restaurants and bars the resort offers.

Fantastic standard

by TripAdvisor Member davwhite

We have been twice to the Sofitel, first was when it opened in Dec 2005. It was not ready to open and there were a few problems. For example New Years Eve was a dead disaster.
Anyway I mentioned a few of these problems to the Manager through E-mail.
He replied and understood what we encountered and offered a free 5 night say at his cost.
We went back in October and found a complete transformation from a good hotel to a fantastic one.
The staff here are the best I have come across. The food standard is very high.
The rooms were cleaned superbly.
I would recommend getting an Accor card before you go. Your meals are then 50% cheaper.
Overall this hotel rates in my top five hotels I have stayed in.

At Sofitel Fiji's entranceAt Sofitel Fiji's entrance

The grounds of SOFITEL FIJI RESORT & SPAThe grounds of SOFITEL FIJI RESORT & SPA

Comments