4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Mamanuca Islands, Fiji
Hotels.com Booking.com Venere.com

Costs 57% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Tokoriki Island Resort

The smell was too much to handle

by TripAdvisor Member hellosydney

I just recently returned from my honeymoon at Tokoriki Island Resort Fiji.
I wish I could say I had the best honeymoon ever, however, all I can say is make sure when you book you do not stay in sunset pool villa number 5.
From the moment we arrived we smelt something that was so unbearable. When I say the smell was unbearable I'm actually not over exadgerating. We were told that it's the seaweed. Personally I think it's more than just the seaweed. I believe that it must have been their sewerage system, leading to the ocean, right from in front of sunset pool villa number 5.
On our 5 night stay we were unable to step outside our villa, therefore, we did not enjoy the plunge pool.
The rest of the resort was quite nice, The staff were very friendly and the day trips were quite enjoyable.
However, I will let you know that when we informed the manager about the smell and how sick I became on my last night because of the smell, the only thing he said was "thank you for letting me know", he did not even apoligise.
I personally would not recommend Tokoriki Island Resort to anyone. If you do go just make sure you you do not stay in the sunset pool villa's. Keep in mind that even the owner of the resort has built his bure on the other end of the resort, nowhere near the sunset pool villas.
Good luck.

Tokoriki - Just OK

by TripAdvisor Member hollc

My wife and I spent 7 nights on our Honeymoon at Tokoriki. Firstly, I'd like to compliment the wait staff. They were all wonderful and friendly. I mention the wait staff because the administration staff leave a lot to be desired. There was an administrative mix up with our helicopter transfer and their solution was to leave the guest to sort it out with the chopper company. We felt this to be highly unprofressional. It seems as though the seaweed problem is one that has been mentioned often. If you want a clean beach, do not travel to Tokoriki as you will be majorly disappointed. The seaweed was everywhere and the stench unbearable. We at first thought it to be a sewarge problem but was later advised to be the seaweed. It was in the bures, in the dining areas, everywhere. We purchased the meal plan so the cost wasn't a worry. We enjoyed the food and the theme nights. The menu seemed to turn itself over every 4-5 days. However, a dish we really enjoyed the first time around was disappointing the second. Just a warning for potential visitors, if you don't like small lizards or crabs running around your bure all day and night, then find somewhere else to stay.

love in a hot environment

We have just returned from 5 idyllic days on Tokoriki, and am surprised to read some of these reviews. I wonder if we stayed at the same place?!
We visited from 24-28 March, and felt like we were existing in some parallel universe of indulgence, luxury and beauty. The staff to guest ratio is 1;1 and they were particularly friendly. The pool by the dining room is completely divine, and great if you're feeling abit hot before lunch.
There was the odd bit of seaweed but nothing offensive, and best to remember we are appreciating Sth. Pacific beauty and that does include its flora and fauna.
For those in need of some real relaxation or intimacy, I can recommend Tokoriki and we will return.

Paradise, the perfect place to be.

by TripAdvisor Member AnnaTwickenham

Having stayed on Tokoriki for several months this winter I have returned to the Uk with only wonderful memorise of a happy, friendly, beautiful place. The resort gives the atmosphere for you to be able to relax and take life at the right pace, whether that involves the large range of activities centred around the excellent dive shop with water activities, diving, fishing and island excursions or centering you time by the horizon pool or your beautiful 5 star burre.
The sea currents have brought in seaweed which the resort is manageing well. The reports about the weed coming from the islands sewerage are unfounded from a marine conservation point of view. The island has a new sewerage system (built in 2005).
Tokoriki is one of the happiest places I have had the pleasure to stay. Long may the island continue to provide a haven for us all.

Relax on Paradise Island

by TripAdvisor Member AussieRed

Just returned from a week at Tokoriki, I was a little worried after reading about the seaweed problem but there was absolutely no seaweed at all or any smell.

Resort was magnificent, staff were very friendly and remembered your name, new pool was fabolous and food was tops.

Definitely the top Fiji resort on the best island.

Fabulous Island Stay

by TripAdvisor Member ilewis

We visited Tokoriki Island for a week in August 06. We fell in love with the Island, its staff and the beautiful location - we would go back tomorrow! The seaweed problem we read about seems to be under control and there is always the 2 pools if you don't like the beach. We found the staff very friendly and helpful and the food of restaurant quality. We are telling all our friends to go!

Had a great time, but we were lucky!

by TripAdvisor Member Rays8

My husband and I spent 5 nights at Tokoriki for our honeymoon and were a little worried about what to expect due to the bad reviews. If I had my time over and was able to cancel our booking I probably would have.

Although the seaweed didnt affect our trip it is a problem throughout the whole of the manamucas. We couldn't smell it at all, although the couple staying 3 bures down couldnt step outside at all it was that bad. I think it was pretty much luck of the draw.

We stayed in honeymoon bure No. 2. it was a beuatiful room with a great view and a plunge pool which was fantastic. we loved the accomodation, resort and people. They remember your names from day one and try and get you involved (esp. Kava drinking night - recommended for something different!!) The resort overall is beautiful, with many day activites to do. I recommend a visit to Castaway Island(where the Tom Hanks film was made).

Food was pretty good, definitely get the meal plan! it is worth it.

Overall i would avoid the manamucas altogether at the moment, the seaweed is pretty bad. Also it rained 4 out of our 5 days at Tokoriki so I definetly recommend not going in the rainy season. But then again this is probably the reason the seaweed didnt affect our trip.

Goodluck.

Beware!

We stayed in Tokoriki for 6 days and had problems with the seaweed as well. We spoke to the manager and was switched to Bure 4. It was gorgeous and exceeded our expectations (especially for our honeymoon). The fifth night we were there, two men from the island across from Tokoriki (after we did a daytrip) took a boat in the middle of the night and broke into our bure while we were sleeping. We had a problem with the lock that led to our outdoor shower and have been asking the front desk lady to have something fix it for days. Our bure was the only renovated one at the time and there were rumors that some of the staff members knew the lock was not properly installed. It still makes me wonder if the staff member(s) were in on it. I heard them trying to open the safe in our room, and when I woke my husband up we heard footsteps. They climbed over the outdoor shower wall and got away. It was so creepy going to the front desk (nearly in the dark) and trying to find someone to help us. No one was around. We found an emergency phone and got a hold of the general manager who was staying on the island to oversee the island's remodeling. The general manager at the time said he called the Fijian police from the main island. Although we never saw any police. We were terrified and was so glad it was our last night there and we were headed back to the main island. The general manager tried his best to make us at ease on our last day by checking up on us but I was still shaken up from the experience. The dive instructor there heard our story and said that these villagers have been robbing tourists throughout the Mamanuca Islands and are still at large. I would recommend other islands for your honeymoon. We weren't impressed with the island itself either. I suggest choosing a different island if you have your heart set for Fiji. We stayed 4 days on the main island and had a fabulous time (and felt incredibly safe with security on staff). The staff at the Sheraton was wonderful! We love Fiji and the kind people we did encounter but we will never stay at Tokoriki or recommend it to anyone. There are 131 islands that are inhabited, choose any of this one for your safety!

OK, but the Seaweed!

I was not to sure what to expect given some of the reviews I had seen prior to my arrival in tokoriki. In summary, accomodation/decor is beautiful, Main pool area was fantastic, Island and surrounds where nature at its best, sunsets incredible, on the downside however, food was OK but not great, service was average considering the money you pay, beach was nice but uninhabitable due to the putrid smell of seaweed, In fact the last few days of our trip the seaweed was so bad it was piled high in front of the pool and main reception area. The smell and insects from this was terrible. What I couldn't understand was the lack of action around removing it. Overall If not for the seaweed this would be a beautiful place to stay.

Sea Weed is The Problem Alright

by TripAdvisor Member Wanderlust2

I have to agree with most of the sentiments of the previous review. We were also there over the New Year and fortunately we had a Burre on the better half of the resort. The fouls stench of the sea weed is all pervading and those in Burre's 2-17 are in the noseline. 18 upwards and it is better but you cant get away from it. The Management are making great efforts to clear the seaweed problem but they are fighting a losing battle at the moment. Its all to do to over-development, over-fishing of the area and its not just affecting Tokoriki. It is now a problem at other Mamanuca resorts such as Castaway Isle.

I found the staff warm but not overly so. The dining area is idyllic by the pool and the singing guitar playing troupe relaxing. . The Mealplans are definately a great idea because you can basically eat anything off the menu which is pleasantly extensive. Every week they have a barbeque wok-up style dinner and a earth oven food night.

This is a couples resort primarily. It is quite noticeable at dinner all the couples wrapped up in each other and there is not much socialising with others. Also it is not a late night resort. By 10.00am most people have retired to their Burres and the Bar is almost always dead by that time.

Hideaway Wedding

by u_luv_it

Hi,

currently planning a wedding in Fiji and are planning to have it at the Hideaway before going on to Tokoriki.

Anyone had any good / bad expereinces at the Hideaway?

Also - any ideas on best month to go?

Cheers!

Re: Hideaway Wedding

by foxview

hi there

In my opinion get married on tokoriki,,,,,,,we got married on tokoriki and after a few days spend time at hideaway on the coral coast.
both resorts are great but you would be dissapointed if you did it the other way around.....nothing beats getting married on a tropical island a sunset, barefoot on the beach amongst the friendly islanders,
CHOOSE TOKORIKI and you wont be disappointed, it will create memorys that will last a life time.
for pictures of our tokoriki wedding go to http://community.webshots.com/album/57299274RvILrU

good luck

Re: Hideaway Wedding

by foxview

oh........the most stable months weather wise are june, july, and august but a couple of months either side isnt to bad.

Diving in Fiji

by pegman

I am heading to Fiji for a week in March and am undertaking some research on where is best to stay. I am looking to do my PADI course and then just enjoy the sun. Anyone have any suggestions on nice quiet islands. I don't have a huge budget to work with so keep it real! Cheers

by RepetitiveDiver

Hi Pegman

There are lots of choices in Fiji. Normally divers like to get off the mainland of Viti Levu. for chill out island and PADI course you might want to think about Taveuni or Kadavu - both really nice islands, quality diving and decent spots for learning.

Cheers

by RepetitiveDiver

for more info see here:

www.divetheworldfiji.com

RE: RE: Diving in Fiji

by pegman

Cheers. I have had Taveuni recommended to me a few times but I have heard the beaches are not the best. What are your thoughts?

by dumnam

heard people raved about Yasawa,Castaway and Tokoriki Island resorts.
Castaway Dive School check out at www.castawayfiji.com/divetrn.shtml
lots info & worth a look at www.tokorikidiving.com/tokoriki6.html

www.fijiresort.com/dive_cert.shtml
www.taveuniislandresort.com/
www.fiji.pacific-resorts.com/diving.html
www.save-money-diving.com (They can offer you at discounted rates for dive package, send them enquiry at info@save-money-diving.com)

Comments